Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:14 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:18 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Comment from Carlton:

Yes a player was in King St at 1am.

Had a verbal altercation with girlfriend. Player did not initiate any physical contact. Girlfriend has verified this statement. Police were not involved.

Sounds extremely minor to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:22 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

BluesRockMyWorld wrote:
An incident such as this could occur anywhere and at any time - ie they arent isolated to be just at niteclubs.

I think you are making a mountain out of a mole hill here....

1. Yes obviously an incident can occur anywhere but common sense will tell you that pubs and nightclubs are area where more incidents occur and more incidents will occur in public either on the streets or in clubs after midnight. That is reality. Players need to minimise their chances of getting in trouble esp those with bad records. Do you think there is any reason why you dont hear of these sort of incidents with players like Kouta, J Hird, Buckley, A Simpson. Its because they are obviously more mature but also they dont put themselves in positions where trouble can find them. They value their personal repuatation and that of their club. You cant say the same about all other players. Better to have team rules about where players should and shouldnt be than leave it up to the judgement of people with obviously poor judgement. Do you know why Barry Hall has been incident free in Dydney. Its because he avoids going to pubs and clubs after hours. He visits friends and keeps within his circle of friends. Thats because he realises that sometimes the situation you put yourself in can create trouble that you werent looking for

2. Yes I know this was a minor incident but what I am about is trying to avoid a major incident, cos obviously then its too late.

Fact : AFL is a high profile sport in Melbourne
Fact: AFL players are scrutinised more than any other group in Melb
Fact: These players are predominantly 18-25 and are highly paid

Given that I dont think haveing an internal code of conduct is unnecessarily harsh or infringes their rights

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:29 pm 
St Kilda Supporter

hey guys...

I can now see what SurreyBlue means, but it was not my intention for you to argue amoungst each other.

I heard about it and thought you should know.

Norman could be anything IMO and all of us have seen too many footballers waste their chance over the years

I love the footy and hate seeing players waste thier chance at the big time.

God I should know with the club I follow

Cheers

Fid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:31 pm 
Craig Bradley

Mrs Caz wrote:
Comment from Carlton:

Yes a player was in King St at 1am.

Had a verbal altercation with girlfriend. Player did not initiate any physical contact. Girlfriend has verified this statement. Police were not involved.

Sounds extremely minor to me.

Won't stop certain elements in the media beating it up though.

L.M 35-06

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:33 pm 
Rod Ashman

First hand account from a guy at the nightclub in question was abruptly cut short on SEN just as he was mentioning another incident :roll:

edited by Mrs Caz - marciblu, sorry to do that, but it would havwe been cut off due to know evidence that the caller was even at the club. Let's just take it easy here, ok?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:39 pm 
Bruce Doull

Was the drink a Bloody Mary?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:44 pm 
Rod McGregor

As Mick Malthouse said once, the AFL steals the youth of young players. When others their age are out carousing, these guys are supposed to be in bed by 9 pm according to some.

No doubt quite a few of the posters here are or have been Uni students or VCE students. I wonder whether all of you in that position have always applied yourselves 100% to your studies. Maybe you went to a party when there was an assignment of test coming up. Maybe you wrote yourself off and spent a day in bed recovering, whilst knowing you had to get your a into gear. Maybe you spent your time trying to chat up someone when you just knew you needed to spend every available second on preparation.

Short-sighted though it might be, at the time those other tempting things are pretty irresistable. We aren't monks or nuns - we have lives to live and mistakes to make.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:53 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Mav wrote:
As Mick Malthouse said once, the AFL steals the youth of young players. When others their age are out carousing, these guys are supposed to be in bed by 9 pm according to some.

No doubt quite a few of the posters here are or have been Uni students or VCE students. I wonder whether all of you in that position have always applied yourselves 100% to your studies. Maybe you went to a party when there was an assignment of test coming up. Maybe you wrote yourself off and spent a day in bed recovering, whilst knowing you had to get your a into gear. Maybe you spent your time trying to chat up someone when you just knew you needed to spend every available second on preparation.

Short-sighted though it might be, at the time those other tempting things are pretty irresistable. We aren't monks or nuns - we have lives to live and mistakes to make.

Whilst the game is ruled by the almighty $$ players can't have their cake and eat it too.

Would you choose to be a 22yo millionaire like Riewoldt (or thereabouts) or a 22yo layabout uni student who can go out on the piss and no-one cares? Even the $80,000, or whatever someone like KN is on, is still big mony for someone that age...money which in other aspects of life is normally earned once one is mature (and experienced) enough to do so.

I dunno. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:01 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

buzzaaaah wrote:
Whether you like or not this club will survive or thrive on the value of its brand name. Incidents like this do nothing but subtract from the value of the clubs marketability.

Not with Dan Murphy as a sponsor, :wink: (hic :P ) Cheers Dannyboy. :wink:

Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:02 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

I was having an argument with a few of my mates about this the other night. We all play footy at a pretty social level up here in Canberra, train two nights a week, play on the weekend, big gas up afterwards type thing.
There are some pretty high standard players in our team though - two in particular could have been elite level players but when they missed the draft after RAMS they went back to kicking around with their mates.

One of those two in particular was saying how much he would love to play AFL for a living and how great it would be.

I argued that it would be a [REDACTED] life. Sure you get to be paid big money for doing something you love but you have your every move scrutinised and if you mess up or go out to let off some steam (as most young guys will do) it is all over the front pages of the paper.

I agree with Buzz, that it is just plain stupid to even be at a nightclub because of the potential for flower and hero's to try and cause problems for you.
But it's a sad state of affairs that kids who are the same age as me and the boys I hang out with can't go out and let off some steam after the game, like me and the boys do, without it hitting the front pages. Some of the guys I hang out with were a pen stroke away from being in the same situation as these AFL stars. And they would have loved it. It's the life they've signed on for. And it's very very sad ....

Left wing moralists
In self serving denial
They shit me no end

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:49 pm 
Rod Ashman

Here is the link for the age:

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/real ... 49784.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:20 pm 
Bert Deacon

St Fidelius wrote:
Maybe the incident isn't much, but why is he still out at 1am??

That's probablly the biggest question IMO

Given Daylight savings time ended early the next morning, by the next day he effectively wasn't out at 1am was he, more like 12am...and going home. The only thing he'd have to attend on the Sunday was the recovery session which he wouldn't have to attend as he didn't play. Not sure if the Bullants had anything on but still it wouldn't have been until the afternoon I'd have thought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:36 pm 
Bruce Doull

Here's a storm. There's a tea cup. Now lets see if we can put one inside the other. ;)