Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 4:05 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:22 pm 
John James

The game is on Fox Footy @ 2pm Saturday, no FTA for some reason.

I don't have Foxtel, so just wondering if any similarly disadvantaged Melbourne TCers are going to a pub/club to watch the game? And if so, where?

Last year I went to the Eltham Pub, but they have closed the Sports Bar now and so I probably need to look elsewhere. Lower Plenty Hotel is an option.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:25 pm 
Rod Ashman

No FTA because of the Easter Monday match, and I think places like the Locker Room might show the game

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:57 am 
Bert Deacon

What about the all star bar at Crown? Bit crappy I know but I think they'll have it.

Is it being shown in the social club at Optus?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:21 am 
Craig Bradley

The Mountain View will have it...or better yet GO TO THE GAME.

L.M 35-06

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:26 am 
Harry Vallence

rofl why can you not make the game?

lol classic thread

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:13 pm 
Bert Deacon

I just checked Ebroadcast and FFV (Fox Footy Victoria) will not be showing the Carlton game until early morning. Where did you get your information about screening times?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:49 pm 
John James

I know I will be shot down as an heretic (or should that be burnt at the stake?), but I prefer to watch the footy on telly, also it's a long way from the ground out here. There are other reasons too, but hey, why should I be defensive?

There's normally a few Blues fans that turn up at whatever pub I get to, so maybe I'll tell 'em about TC. I would end up divorced if I went anywhere near Crown!

SPF: I checked Ebroadcast again, and on my computer it said the game was on FFV @ 2pm. Are you sure you fed in Saturday?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:23 pm 
Harry Vallence

windy wrote:
I prefer to watch the footy on telly,

There's always one....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:53 pm 
Craig Bradley

Just checked my Foxtel guide via my remote. The game is live Sat afternoon.

L.M 35-06

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:08 pm 
Bruce Doull

I think the Stephen Kernahan/Victory Room will be showing the game live, but I could be wrong. It's at the western edge of the city I believe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:29 pm 
Robert Walls

sticksaftersiren87 wrote:
windy wrote:
I prefer to watch the footy on telly,

There's always one....

Heh, I dig this elitism: "What? You don't go to live games? How DARE you, sir? It's remote controls at dawn with you, sir, yes indeed - I will have, I say, I WILL have satisfaction, sir!"

I'm with you, Windy - I prefer tv - mainly because of my eyesight [or lack there of], location and, dare I say it, replays [!].

By the way - oops - BTW - this isn't necessarily a dig at you, SAS87 - much respect to you generally [especially early lists] - you just happened to mention it this time!

blues = go

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:34 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

BlueMark wrote:
Just checked my Foxtel guide via my remote. The game is live Sat afternoon.

Shhhhhhhh!!!!!! We want them at the game

"there’s more chance of me becoming the full forward for the [Western Bulldogs] than there is of any change in the Labor Party." Julia Gillard 18-05-2010

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:28 am 
Bert Deacon

windy wrote:
I know I will be shot down as an heretic (or should that be burnt at the stake?), but I prefer to watch the footy on telly, also it's a long way from the ground out here. There are other reasons too, but hey, why should I be defensive?

There's normally a few Blues fans that turn up at whatever pub I get to, so maybe I'll tell 'em about TC. I would end up divorced if I went anywhere near Crown!

SPF: I checked Ebroadcast again, and on my computer it said the game was on FFV @ 2pm. Are you sure you fed in Saturday?

My mistake apparently. Your right 2pm it is. For some reason I thought this game was a night game. I'm out of town anyway this weekend so it'll be the Monday replay for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:03 am 
Rod McGregor

Each to their own I guess, but I think that AFL is one of the few games that is better live than on TV. Rectangular and smaller playing areas like those for soccer, rugby, basketball and NFL are easier for TV to cover.

TV has to play to the masses rather than the fanatic. The masses prefer to concentrate on the immediate battle for the ball, rather than the strategic battles unfolding on the field. So you see a nice big shot of a player with the ball who is about to be tackled. What you don't see often is that the opponent had to make a hard decision to leave his man to make the tackle and if he doesn't make the tackle stick, there are 2 loose men between wing and flank. You therefore don't understand just how vital the contest is. When someone is running with the ball towards F50, you'll see a nice full picture shot of him, but often you won't see the leads and blocks unfolding ahead of him.

And you can always sit so that you have a view of the screens at the ground so you can see the replays or live action more closely.

And the atmosphere.

And where else can you sing our song loudly and repeatedly without worrying that other people might actually hear and comment on the quality of your voice (or your mental state) :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:23 am 
Craig Bradley

Your last point Mav is very relevant.

L.M 35-06

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:34 am 
Robert Walls

Mav, you're right on a number of points.

When I went to my first game [99 prelim] I couldn't believe the amount of work going on off the ball. I was so used to the ebb and flow of union and league where you KNEW what was going on off camera , and there was no need to, well, see it! I agree, watching the entire field is a beauty in itself, as oppoosed the highlights reel of the TV screen

Personally, I simply can't see what's going on at the ground [my last live game was the Kangas in 2003 so I dare say I've blocked a lot out anyway!]. I'll be there on Saturday to exorcise a few demons [well, roos actually, but you know what I mean] and will be yelling and screaming with the unbridled enthusiasm and comradery that only a live game can bring.

You're right - sharing a win with likeminded people is unique to watching the game live. Watching at a pub or at home isn't quite the same when you consider that, as soon as the game's over, your wife or publican [one and the same person if you're lucky!] can up and change the channel and the mood is lost.

Then again, since buying my new megaplex, purchased-for-footy, oversized, ultra bloody big, bigscreen TV, the blues haven't lost. Good enough reason for me to enjoy watching at home!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:38 am 
Bruce Doull

You're all welcome to come to the Wojeeplex to watch it on Austar :wink: