Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:45 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: reality check
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:30 pm 
Craig Bradley

As you know I am always very positive but wizzer cup campaign will really not mean much if we dont belt the kangas in the first round of the real season
We must get off to a good start the last time we won in the first round was in 2001
We cannot underestimate the kangas they are dangerous and played very good football in the wizzer cup and come out firing early in the regular season
remember they were 3-0 in first 3 rounds last year and brown kicked 6 goals from chf
Thorton and his coolness will be a huge loss given thompson rocca petrie and mckernan may all play forward at sometime in the first match
Really need to stitch up kangas

Post subject: Re: reality check
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:33 pm 
Rod Ashman

frank dardew wrote:
Thorton and his coolness will be a huge loss given thompson rocca petrie and mckernan may all play forward at sometime in the first match
Really need to stitch up kangas

We can always hope

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:06 am 
Adrian Gallagher

Glad I found this thread. I think winning the preseason cup is very good preparation for the season proper - but have we peaked too early? Yes. Anything wrong with that - no. It puts $200,000 odd into the coffers and brings confidence to the playing group and staff.

There is another thread on here about Jack Elliott. Well - Jacks not as much an idiot as some I saw on Saturday night. One gentleman (sri Lankan looking / hunch back / as camp as a row of tents) yelled at Carlton supporters at 3/4 time to get excited..."what's wrong with you morons" - he pleaded. Not only did we tell him the fat lady hadn't even started warming up yet - we asked him nicely to leave the celebrations to the final siren...when we had it 'in the bag'....needless to say whilst this guy is entitled to feel like "we're back" and celebrate - he has no right to tell other Carlton supporters to celebrate. I clapped, cheered and sang the song - but to put things in perspective I lose my voice at most Carlton Close- call victories....I didn't go close on Saturday night. And if we lose the first 3 rounds (North / Essendon* / Collingwood) then there'll be another thread on here saying that we should have rotated the midfield more during the wizard cup as Stevens / Campo et all look stuffed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:38 am 
Craig Bradley

abit negative dont you think?

we have beaten four teams - three of which where close to full strength, and which two of them could be top four sides if not definately top 8.

Now - the stigma of the Wizzer Cup.

Gees, you guys have to relax - there isnt a team in the AFL that wouldnt want to be in the position we are at the moment. If you dont think that is a positive thing then you are very hard to please.

Saturday before the game - it was a case of not if West Coast would win, but how many their midfield would kick.

A crock, the media and everyone else has built up wet toast, yet they dont give the same plaudits to Carlton. Why? Last year when the aint's won the wizzer cup everyone was suggesting that this was going to be the year in which they arrived. Yet when we win it, no one really played for it?

Come on KU - dont believe the media. Yes it is the wizzer cup, but hell, we played some great footy, and is passages, the best footy i have ever seen played.

Something that i would like to point out.

over our 4 games in the wizzer cup

we kicked more than 100+ points per game - when was the last time you can say that happened?

while also keeping each side we played under 100 points - again, when was the last time we could say that?

We are going to go alot better than anyone expects but i hope the media keeps underestimating us.

Im excited. Camelboy, give me a big kev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:06 am 
Adrian Gallagher

I think my concern lies in the fact that I doubt any team that we played was concerned with the opposition as much as we were with them. We laid our cards on the table and the team was coached as if it were in a premiership game situation. Worsfold did nothing to quell the flood. Couldn't care less..but was sure to make a point after the game that they'd learnt a lot from Carlton 's tactics and would be better prepared next time. Better prepared = think I know how my Eagles can stop it. The exciting footy from Carlton won't last because coaches will now start paying attention to the opposition.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:49 pm 
Rod Ashman

Keith Urban wrote:
I think my concern lies in the fact that I doubt any team that we played was concerned with the opposition as much as we were with them. We laid our cards on the table and the team was coached as if it were in a premiership game situation. Worsfold did nothing to quell the flood. Couldn't care less..but was sure to make a point after the game that they'd learnt a lot from Carlton 's tactics and would be better prepared next time. Better prepared = think I know how my Eagles can stop it. The exciting footy from Carlton won't last because coaches will now start paying attention to the opposition.

What makes you think that we were concerned with the opposition!? We beat full a couple of full strength sides and comfortably.
And what is wrong with the way Denis coached and the way we have been playing.. it is fantastic.
Maybe this is only a small snippet of what is to come, we gave our young guys a go and gave some of our stars a bit of a rest at times... we didn't have much of Kouta Saturday night, when he is back to form we will have him, another bonus.
Denis is a good coach, as if he would coach his butt off in the wizzy cup and as well as a number of things, as a result we win.... why would he stop there!? He wouldn't!! He wouldn't just turn around to the players and say, that's it boys just play like that for the rest of the year and you will be right, he is just getting things prepared, give us some bloody time, respect and faith before saying that Carlton's exciting football will not last... that is an absolute disgrace. Be bloody happy for them!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:41 pm 
Bruce Doull

Marissa wrote:
We beat full a couple of full strength sides and comfortably.

Not only did we beat a couple of full-strength teams, but we beat a genuine top 4 (if not flag contender) team in the WCE when they were at full-strength, and clearly playing to win, and negated what has been touted to be the best midfield going around.

Whether we can do it week in, week out, remains to be seen, but the glass is way more half-full than half-empty!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:41 pm 
Craig Bradley

Keith Urban wrote:
The exciting footy from Carlton won't last because coaches will now start paying attention to the opposition.

do you realise what you are saying?

the will have to concentrate on stopping us, that comment right there clearly shows how much we have approved :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:08 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Frank is probably right and after saying we should enjoy the win I think we need to heed his wisdom and focus on rnd1. Kangas will be tough work and without Thornton to general the backline even tougher....
We need to improve our win/loss ratio from last year and maintain our membership or we will have wasted the initiative we now have and to do that we need a good start against a team who by rights we should beat easily...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:04 pm 
Adrian Gallagher

Yes...agree - we beat a couple of 'full-strength' sides that on last years form should be playing finals in September. However full strength means very little in March. Fully prepared is the term that should be bandied around. The preparation of the Carlton side is far advanced on both Melbourne AND West Coast. Whilst we were fine tuning in the last couple of games - those sides were still in for a service....And don't get me wrong - I was wrapt with winning the Wizard Cup and each teams prepardness is their own prerogative...but no matter what the result - I can't and won't get excited in the month of March when terms such as "Full Strength" are being bandied around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:42 pm 
Rod Ashman

I am very confused... how can you be wrapt with winning the wizard cup, but yet not be excited about our performance and excited for what is to come!?
You are being very negative and clearly have no faith in Carlton! Not a supporter I would like to sit next to at the footy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:51 pm 
Bruce Doull

ThePrez wrote:
Im excited. Camelboy, give me a big kev

Oops, sorry, just saw your request. Happy to oblige! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:56 am 
Harry Vallence

ThePrez wrote:
Keith Urban wrote:
The exciting footy from Carlton won't last because coaches will now start paying attention to the opposition.

do you realise what you are saying?

the will have to concentrate on stopping us, that comment right there clearly shows how much we have approved :D

improved :?:

Up the Rebels All-Ireland Hurling Champions 2004/2005

Post subject: Good call this thread
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:34 pm 
Craig Bradley

Wizzer Cup doesnt mean much if cant get up for first match of the real season
Lets not now underestimate Bombers as they will be hell bent on not being 0-2 games after 2 rounds- friday night needs a much greter intensity than last Saturday from our whole team

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:59 pm 
Bruce Doull

frank dardew wrote:
Wizzer Cup doesnt mean much if cant get up for first match of the real season
Lets not now underestimate Bombers as they will be hell bent on not being 0-2 games after 2 rounds- friday night needs a much greter intensity than last Saturday from our whole team

Absolutely Frank. IMO we, meaning the team, underestimated our opponent last week, I don't imagine we'll make that same mistake twice.