Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:40 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 489 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 5:22 pm 
Bruce Doull

79Vintage wrote:
Just listened to Vossy's Gabba Press Conference.
Couldn't have a better piece of motivation to support our team.
GO BLUES!!!

https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/14363 ... -are-ready

Another brilliant performance.

He has a way of making you feel all fired up and ready to go to war with him.

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:07 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Crusader wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Hornet wrote:
Not sure about the Owies omission...

Owies was constantly being selected on the back of being our leading tackler.

Not sure where he sits these days, but last year and earlier this year he was Numero Uno.

He keeps squandering the chances that small forwards need to pounce on.

Not inaccuracy, inaction. Boot to ball. That’s the primary task.

motlop now leading F50 tackles.

and owies lacks in forward craft and crumbing. a great blue collar effort player, but not much else. imo he's not a small in an afl GF winning team. ANd in the offseason that's who i'm looking to upgrade first.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:22 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

@#$%&! it's quiet here.

Am I right in thinking we haven't lost a prelim in 35 years? We got this.

Left wing moralists
In self serving denial
They shit me no end

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:33 pm 
Bruce Doull

I've erased the 2000 prelim from memory too.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:35 pm 
Wayne Johnston

sinbagger wrote:
I have a spare ticket for Saturday’s match as my daughter won’t be able to make it to Brisbane this weekend.

If you want it send me a PM, first come first served. I’m only looking to be reimbursed the value of the ticket which was $150.

Section 420, Row UU, Seat 339.

Ticket sold

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:52 pm 
John James

BamBam7 wrote:
diesel95 wrote:
bluedog wrote:
Yes, nice to hear from Molly. However, I'd say that's the first and last time Houlihan will be placed alongside Betts and Scotland as a great.

Fev rated Houlihan as the best kick to a leading forward at Carlton in his time. one of the best ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had to read bluedog's post a second time, because I was sure I read it wrong the first time. :P

Love me some Hoops.

yep, must have been in bed sick when he wrote that.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:55 pm 
John James

DesEnglish wrote:
Whenever Daniher rucks Pitto needs to go to work. Smash him, soften him up and then smash him again. If we can wear him down then Hipwood becomes their KPF, if you think Harry can be flakey sit back and watch this show.

Cameron needs the ball on the ground to expose you with his pace, the interceptors at the back need to be clean in the air.

This is the moment for a champion team to beat a team of champions, be brutal, put the hurt on and let’s see how much they want it.

Jordan Lewis wrote in the Herald Scum that the way for Lions to beat us is to bring the physical stuff because we’re so banged up.

i dare them! it would play into our hands if they focus on us.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:59 pm 
John James

Braithy wrote:
son had a dream.

carlton 102
brisbane 86

detailed recollection. i wasn’t confident two weeks ago if we met Lions we’d have a hope. starting to come round. we’ll need to kick a score though and haven’t been doing that recently, two many wasted opportunities against Melbourne in the SF . Q3 is hard to watch. hope the selections improve our run and carry / transition game.

i remember in 1995 a guy won the straight six at TAB (not encouraging gambling btw, it’s for losers). he said he dreamt the winning numbers, wasn’t sure about the final race. they were interviewing him on 3RRR Breakfasters and one of them asked “whose gonna win the flag?”. reply was you don’t need a premonition in a dream to answer that one. “Blues, obviously”.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:08 pm 
John James

sinbagger wrote:
diesel95 wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
jake_h03 wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
[quote="jake_h03"]Harry and Martin are the two certain changes. I would think Kennedy probably makes way for Harry since he effectively took his role in the team.

For Martin it has to be one of Owies, Cuningham, or Fogarty. I think as a group we don’t quite get enough out of these guys. They all play their role but too often they don’t impact the game. When you get 5-10 touches, you have to make them count and last night all 3 of these guys butchered multiple chances, particularly Fogarty.

Motlop is a cut above that group IMO. He’s so much more dangerous around goal and he only needs a few touches to hurt the opposition. He also leads the team in F50 tackles, so he’s an automatic selection for mine. Thought it was madness he didn’t start against Sydney and last night he showed why he should have.

I think Owies stays because he always manages to pop up with his goal or two. I would probably drop Fogarty, his kicking is just so ordinary and he doesn’t hurt the opposition when he gets the ball. At least Cunners can impact the game IF he manages to get his hands on the ball. But I suspect they’ll drop Cuningham. Cottrell is safe due to his running power and his game vs Sydney.

Outside that I can’t see us making any more changes. Could be tempting to drop a tall defender for another small given Brisbane’s plethora of dangerous small forwards. Kemp, Gov, and Cincotta were way too loose at times last night and struggled on the smaller more nimble types. I hate the thought of one of them on Charlie Cameron, Raynor, Bailey, McCarthy, Ah Chee. They really do have an embarrassment of riches in their small-medium forward stocks. That’s the biggest threat in this game IMO.

Kemp needs to learn when to punch and when to mark. Again last night he got out marked trying to pluck one from behind in D50. He also left his man and got stuck in no man’s land a few times. Needs to balance his offensive and defensive mindset and be a bit more accountable.

I still don’t think Pitto is in our best 22 once Harry is back and would rather JSOS, but can understand not wanting to bring in a player into a prelim who hasn’t played for 2 months. Pitto is a pretty limited footballer and does some really dumb things. He knocked it straight down the throat of Melbourne players too much last night, a couple of times completely uncontested too.

The sub has to be a runner. Hollands did well last night giving us that extra run when everyone was spent and giving us an extra number at the contest. I would still lean towards Dow as I think he can win the ball at the source late in the game. He’s had a huge impact coming on as a sub this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Pitto is in our best 22
Watch the game FFS
He was huge last night kept there most influential player and best ruck in the league pretty quiet

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk

I watched the game, FFS.

He’s not in my best 22. It’s called an opinion. I think our team is better balanced with JSOS but I would pick Pitto for the rest of the season due to JSOS lack of match fitness.

Last night we came up against arguably the best midfield with Gawn Viney Tractor and Oliver since we have seen since the Lions 3 peat. Last week Gawn played the best game by a ruckman we had seen in years. He has been lightyears ahead of any ruckman in the last 5 or 6 years. He is so good that the 2nd best ruckman going around can't even get in the team.
Last night we lost clearances by 2
We won the centre clearances by 5.
Gawn out marked Pitto once all night.
Pitto made Gawn in effective.
To many people look at stats at the end of the game and don't actually watch the blocks the spoils the taps etc that don't get recorded.
Gawn took that mark late but he was matched up on Kemp and TDK had just run from the bench to make it contest.

If you for one minute think JSOS would have had the same impact on Gawn that Pitto did you are dreaming.

As I said watch the game

this. i’m not even a Pitto fan but the fact is he did a great job in the SF 2023 and we wouldn’t have won it without him. the stat sheet doesn’t record the battering he put on Gawn. takes a lot to reduce a champion to an ineffective game by their own high standards. we’ve found our elite tall-tagger in Pitto. :-)

So you might say it was a “Scott Howell” like performance?[/quote]

i might if i remembered him! had to google him. third generation GFist for the blues. not bad!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:10 pm 
Serge Silvagni

24 hours from now we'll be 5 goals up and starting to dream of Big things...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:12 pm 
John James

Braithy wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
Small defenders roles will be really interesting. I've been a strong supporter of Cincotta since he came in but he really struggled against Pickett in the forward 50 stoppages. As it's a strength of the Lions, it will be interesting to see his match up. Hopefully he retains his spot but I wouldn't be surprised to see Boyd get a run. Bailey, Cameron, McCarthy, Rayner. There's a bit of speed and power there.

i have a sinking feeling our only strategy saturday arvy will be: use our team system and rely on structure to defend, extra emphasis on mids not allowing their F50 entry.

this will be a fatal mistake imo ... we need to drop one of marchbank or kemp and make room for boyd and hope he plays the game of his life, alongside saad, newman and chinky and go for extra coverage and run in our D50.

or, maybe get a bit radical. move harry up to wing after the bounce to drag mcandrews up the field and provide a leading target out of defence, doc slithers back from the wing into an extra defender role and acres just keeps blasting that right side from goalsquare to goalsquare

either way, we need an extra mobile defender this saturday or we'll pay the price.

your wish came true. Kemp → Boyd.

wasn’t surprised about Kennedy, Cunners or Kemp but was about Owies. i hope Motlop is enough of a small forward fleet to do the job. Hollands ain’t that type of player at all, but he does bring some excitement and wow factor.

go blues.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:27 pm 
Wayne Johnston

diesel95 wrote:
sinbagger wrote:
diesel95 wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
jake_h03 wrote:
[quote="Sydney Blue"][quote="jake_h03"]Harry and Martin are the two certain changes. I would think Kennedy probably makes way for Harry since he effectively took his role in the team.

For Martin it has to be one of Owies, Cuningham, or Fogarty. I think as a group we don’t quite get enough out of these guys. They all play their role but too often they don’t impact the game. When you get 5-10 touches, you have to make them count and last night all 3 of these guys butchered multiple chances, particularly Fogarty.

Motlop is a cut above that group IMO. He’s so much more dangerous around goal and he only needs a few touches to hurt the opposition. He also leads the team in F50 tackles, so he’s an automatic selection for mine. Thought it was madness he didn’t start against Sydney and last night he showed why he should have.

I think Owies stays because he always manages to pop up with his goal or two. I would probably drop Fogarty, his kicking is just so ordinary and he doesn’t hurt the opposition when he gets the ball. At least Cunners can impact the game IF he manages to get his hands on the ball. But I suspect they’ll drop Cuningham. Cottrell is safe due to his running power and his game vs Sydney.

Outside that I can’t see us making any more changes. Could be tempting to drop a tall defender for another small given Brisbane’s plethora of dangerous small forwards. Kemp, Gov, and Cincotta were way too loose at times last night and struggled on the smaller more nimble types. I hate the thought of one of them on Charlie Cameron, Raynor, Bailey, McCarthy, Ah Chee. They really do have an embarrassment of riches in their small-medium forward stocks. That’s the biggest threat in this game IMO.

Kemp needs to learn when to punch and when to mark. Again last night he got out marked trying to pluck one from behind in D50. He also left his man and got stuck in no man’s land a few times. Needs to balance his offensive and defensive mindset and be a bit more accountable.

I still don’t think Pitto is in our best 22 once Harry is back and would rather JSOS, but can understand not wanting to bring in a player into a prelim who hasn’t played for 2 months. Pitto is a pretty limited footballer and does some really dumb things. He knocked it straight down the throat of Melbourne players too much last night, a couple of times completely uncontested too.

The sub has to be a runner. Hollands did well last night giving us that extra run when everyone was spent and giving us an extra number at the contest. I would still lean towards Dow as I think he can win the ball at the source late in the game. He’s had a huge impact coming on as a sub this season.

Pitto is in our best 22
Watch the game FFS
He was huge last night kept there most influential player and best ruck in the league pretty quiet

I watched the game, FFS.

He’s not in my best 22. It’s called an opinion. I think our team is better balanced with JSOS but I would pick Pitto for the rest of the season due to JSOS lack of match fitness.

Last night we came up against arguably the best midfield with Gawn Viney Tractor and Oliver since we have seen since the Lions 3 peat. Last week Gawn played the best game by a ruckman we had seen in years. He has been lightyears ahead of any ruckman in the last 5 or 6 years. He is so good that the 2nd best ruckman going around can't even get in the team.
Last night we lost clearances by 2
We won the centre clearances by 5.
Gawn out marked Pitto once all night.
Pitto made Gawn in effective.
To many people look at stats at the end of the game and don't actually watch the blocks the spoils the taps etc that don't get recorded.
Gawn took that mark late but he was matched up on Kemp and TDK had just run from the bench to make it contest.

If you for one minute think JSOS would have had the same impact on Gawn that Pitto did you are dreaming.

As I said watch the game

this. i’m not even a Pitto fan but the fact is he did a great job in the SF 2023 and we wouldn’t have won it without him. the stat sheet doesn’t record the battering he put on Gawn. takes a lot to reduce a champion to an ineffective game by their own high standards. we’ve found our elite tall-tagger in Pitto. :-)

So you might say it was a “Scott Howell” like performance?[/quote]

i might if i remembered him! had to google him. third generation GFist for the blues. not bad!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

It sure if it came up on Google, but he famously tagged Peter Moore out of the game in a GF.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:50 pm 
Craig Bradley

Braithy wrote:
Crusader wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Hornet wrote:
Not sure about the Owies omission...

Owies was constantly being selected on the back of being our leading tackler.

Not sure where he sits these days, but last year and earlier this year he was Numero Uno.

He keeps squandering the chances that small forwards need to pounce on.

Not inaccuracy, inaction. Boot to ball. That’s the primary task.

motlop now leading F50 tackles.

and owies lacks in forward craft and crumbing. a great blue collar effort player, but not much else. imo he's not a small in an afl GF winning team. ANd in the offseason that's who i'm looking to upgrade first.

A fit Durdin is an upgrade. Just feel like he’s the one that’s most likely to go off for 40-50 in a season with all of the defensive trimmings to go with it.

Massive game for Motlop. He’ll find himself on his lonesome inside forward 50 for long stretches. Fogarty, Martin, Cottrell… they’re rolled-gold certainties to get sucked up the ground as we try to move the ball off half back.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:20 pm 
Ken Hands

I'm actually happy with the decision to pick Marchy over Kemp.

I love Brodie, but gee I'd hate for him to have a stinker in a big game and destroy all the confidence he's built up this year. It was time for him to have a spell.

Marchy is getting better by the game, and if my memory serves me correctly, he was a good intercept mark pre-covid. Let's back him to keep improving. For what it's worth, his teammates certainly are.

As good as Fisher was at the end of the season, he was never going to play in a final. Defensively, he's a liability. I hope he sticks around and works on becoming a better half back, though. He has the talent, he just needs more time in the role.

Boyd was the obvious in, but I can't say I'm not nervous about his match fitness. Having said that, there's no way he gets picked if he isn't cherry ripe, so I'm pumped to see him back.

Harry and Martin pick themselves.

Ollie showed enough last week to suggest he can play at the level required for finals, at least for a while. With Cunners and Kennedy as potential subs, we have the luxury of having quality replacements that can come on early in case he is struggling. But I honestly can't see that happening.

He may well be the one who is subbed off late in the game, but if we're losing, I doubt it'll have much to do with Ollie's performance. On the contrary, I'm betting some of his efforts and gut running play a big part in what keeps us in the contest.

As much as I'm spewing that Kennedy is out, I think the MC have selected a solid team. It's hard to be too critical of them.

Go Blues!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:38 pm 
John James

Pies by a point. i was tipping GWS win. lapse of concentration allowed pies back in for three in a row. they could have locked collingwood out in the third if they went on with their first half work. oh well, on the plus side i think Pies are an easier win for Blues if we get to play a GF this season than a GWS in tip top form who smothered us in the last home and away round.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:54 pm 
Ken Hunter

diesel95 wrote:
i think Pies are an easier win for Blues if we get to play a GF this season than a GWS in tip top form who smothered us in the last home and away round.

I wish I felt the same way, but -1 day's rest and interstate travel will count against us. And round 24 was of little significance I reckon.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:04 pm 
Bruce Doull

Well….

50% of the dream is alive…!

we’ll smash the Colon if we can get over
the Brions…!

kindest regards tommi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:16 am 
John James

Screw you, GWS. If you want something done, you've gotta do it yourself.

Go Blues.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 5:24 am 
Rod Ashman

Good morning everyone!
I hope we all have a Blue-tiful day.
Go Blues!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 5:58 am 
Serge Silvagni

Hear hear!

Keep em to under 50 inside 50s = we win.

Simples.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 489 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next