Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:11 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173 ... 266  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:16 pm 
Serge Silvagni

Four premierships brings a hell of a lot of bargaining power. If you were a player, who would you listen to....a coach who nearly won two flags, or a coach who won four?...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:22 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

keogh wrote:
I personally don’t want Clarkson
Not because of what he did to Ian Atkin
Not stopping Fev getting to 100

I reckon he is done as a coach
His record at Hawthorn the last few years tells the tale

The board always go for the big fish
It doesn’t work
I’m beginning to have my doubts about Teague bu why not a coach who is of the right stuff
Surely there is someone who can do a good job
To me it reeks of the past if we get him
My impression of Clarko is he definitely needs a break at the very least

Bolton and Teague were big fish were they?
:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:28 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I am of the view Clarko has mellowed somewhat, some of his post game press interviews have been incredibly measured, insightful and just all over intelligent.

Give me this guy any day of the week.

The talk that he is past it because the Hawks are struggling is hilarious and clearly comes from the fingers of those who know little about the game. Over the years many a great coach have admitted freely that one needs cattle.

The Carlton players need inspiration and a kick up the backside in equal measures and Clarko would deliver both in spades.

I dare suggest it might third time lucky for the Blues in regards to getting a high profile coach.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:33 pm 
Robert Walls

Paddycripps wrote:
I am of the view Clarko has mellowed somewhat, some of his post game press interviews have been incredibly measured, insightful and just all over intelligent.

Give me this guy any day of the week.

The talk that he is past it because the Hawks are struggling is hilarious and clearly comes from the fingers of those who know little about the game. Over the years many a great coach have admitted freely that one needs cattle.

The Carlton players need inspiration and a kick up the backside in equal measures and Clarko would deliver both in spades.

I dare suggest it might third time lucky for the Blues in regards to getting a high profile coach.

Yep, this. Absolutely must get him.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:41 pm 
Serge Silvagni

For those on here saying that Clarko hates Carlton, well it was in the late 70s that a bloke by the name of Tom Hafey moved to coach a team that he absolutely despised.....that team was of course Collingwood ...history shows that he took them from dead last to a drawn grand final the following year.

Could Clarko prove a similar feat. It’s been a rough patch for the champion coach. Perhaps a change of scenery is all that’s required.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:45 pm 
Craig Bradley

BlueJean wrote:
Four premierships brings a hell of a lot of bargaining power. If you were a player, who would you listen to....a coach who nearly won two flags, or a coach who won four?...

Just hope he doesn't have to raise his voice... the leadership group might not be too happy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:07 pm 
Geoff Southby

Paddycripps wrote:
keogh wrote:
I personally don’t want Clarkson
Not because of what he did to Ian Atkin
Not stopping Fev getting to 100

I reckon he is done as a coach
His record at Hawthorn the last few years tells the tale

The board always go for the big fish
It doesn’t work
I’m beginning to have my doubts about Teague bu why not a coach who is of the right stuff
Surely there is someone who can do a good job
To me it reeks of the past if we get him
My impression of Clarko is he definitely needs a break at the very least

Bolton and Teague were big fish were they?
:lol:

No they were not. Neither was Brittian or Ratts
But Bolton didn’t see out his contract no coaches have at Carlton in the last 20 years
Teague looks like he won’t last the year
Brittian was replaced by a big fish Pagan who was passed it
Ratten was a newbie. He has been the only successful coach
I was critical of his one style approach but he was sacked for a big fish before he should have been
who sent us backwards in Malthouse

It seems to board can’t get it right
Big fish or small fish
Clarkson has been the best coach in
the last 20 years
Dermott didn’t want him
Piggy did
What I’m saying given the number of coaches assistants included in the AFL system there is bound to be a few real good coaches in waiting
The important thing is the people who select the coach
Some like Dunstall are good at it
Some like Dermott not so
Don’t forget when Clarkson was appointed he had coached Werribee, Central Districts and an assistant at
Port
He was a coach on training wheels
I want the best coach for the Carlton
Teague Clarkson or whoever
It’s up to the board to select the best
They have ducked up that baby the last 20 years

Last edited by keogh on Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:09 pm 
Bruce Doull

rhino27 wrote:
Juanita Jones wrote:
AGRO wrote:
I’d go for Lyon - as Paul Keating said always back self interest as you know that it will be trying and Ross Lyons hunger to win a flag would be the biggest self interest of all.

:wink:

I agree!

I voted for Ross in the poll. Still my first choce for those reasons.

By that rationale you may as well stick with Teague… he hasn't even made finals yet, imagine how hungry he must be!

Actually, what's Mark Neeld doing?

Hold my beer… who's got Tim Watson's number?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:09 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I honestly have no idea. We've been burnt whichever way we've gone in the past. The only thing we haven't done is stuck fat... which I actually think will be the hardest decision to make. From the outside looking in, Teague doesn't seem to be able to make things happen when plan A doesn't work. Does he just need better assistants? Or have we seen enough to say he ain't the man? I just hope that those making the decision make the right call for once

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:11 pm 
Banned

Who was the last experienced premiership coach that went to another club and won a flag.

Probably get in the eight with Clarko with a healthy list as would Teague.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:15 pm 
Harry Vallence

The_Cranium wrote:
I honestly have no idea. We've been burnt whichever way we've gone in the past. The only thing we haven't done is stuck fat... which I actually think will be the hardest decision to make. From the outside looking in, Teague doesn't seem to be able to make things happen when plan A doesn't work. Does he just need better assistants? Or have we seen enough to say he ain't the man? I just hope that those making the decision make the right call for once

If you need better assistants as the only way to make you a decent senior coach, cut out the middle man and hire an assistant as the senior coach, what do we need Teague for?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:17 pm 
Ken Hunter

The other thing the Board will look at is the Football Credibility Clarkson brings to Carlton. If Teague is sacked, then the Boards record over the past 4 Coaches is lower than shark shite, and that floats on the bottom of the sea. They will need something to redirect the criticism they truly deserve.

To save face and have some 'deflection' power, Clarkson is the perfect fit for them.

The marketable ability of Clarkson will be great for wooing Members. He will also help attract players to the club.

Getting Clarkson will cover a multitude of their sins but they best be careful what they wish for. He will be far to street smart for them all.

Regards Cazzesman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:36 pm 
Geoff Southby

Cazzesman wrote:
The other thing the Board will look at is the Football Credibility Clarkson brings to Carlton. If Teague is sacked, then the Boards record over the past 4 Coaches is lower than shark shite, and that floats on the bottom of the sea. They will need something to redirect the criticism they truly deserve.

To save face and have some 'deflection' power, Clarkson is the perfect fit for them.

The marketable ability of Clarkson will be great for wooing Members. He will also help attract players to the club.

Getting Clarkson will cover a multitude of their sins but they best be careful what they wish for. He will be far to street smart for them all.

Regards Cazzesman

The biggest lesson from all this is don’t sign coaches and players long term
It can bite you on the bum

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:41 pm 
Bob Chitty

im in-different about clarkson ... but ...

he strikes me as a highly motivated individual ... who ... unlike Malthouse etc .. would look at a side like Carlton, the players they have at their disposal ... and would think to himself ... i have 4 Grand Finals as coach already, could i cement my status as the greatest coach of all time, if i was take what is a good list and turn it into 2 or 3 more flags ... and then cement it as the greatest coach of all time ...

i think that would drive him ... if he could do it, is another matter, but i dont think this would be a Malthouse Mk2 scenario ...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:49 pm 
Serge Silvagni

ScottSaunders2 wrote:
im in-different about clarkson ... but ...

he strikes me as a highly motivated individual ... who ... unlike Malthouse etc .. would look at a side like Carlton, the players they have at their disposal ... and would think to himself ... i have 4 Grand Finals as coach already, could i cement my status as the greatest coach of all time, if i was take what is a good list and turn it into 2 or 3 more flags ... and then cement it as the greatest coach of all time ...

i think that would drive him ... if he could do it, is another matter, but i dont think this would be a Malthouse Mk2 scenario ...

Yep. I am optimistic that he’s coming to us.

Our list is better than the Pies. Harry, Walsh, weitering. Charlie potentially, Crippa, doc and the young breed.

After tonight’s loss to the saints, next week will seem very long...until Clarko is navy bound...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:56 pm 
Banned

If we don't overhaul that midfield not even Clarko will save us.

Mid table in the league for average age
Mid table in the league for games played
Top 8 in the league for Goals scored
Bottom 4 in the league for Brownlow votes

Considering mids get most of the votes it cant get any clearer our mids & half forward/mids are amongst the worst in the league.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:01 pm 
Geoff Southby

If the board continue to stuff up it will not matter which coach we get and it looking that way.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:21 pm 
Ken Hunter

Walsh wrote:
Who was the last experienced premiership coach that went to another club and won a flag.

Probably get in the eight with Clarko with a healthy list as would Teague.

Matthews ?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:23 pm 
Rod Ashman

Walsh wrote:
Who was the last experienced premiership coach that went to another club and won a flag..

Malthouse?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:45 pm 
Bob Chitty

Walsh wrote:
If we don't overhaul that midfield not even Clarko will save us.

Mid table in the league for average age
Mid table in the league for games played
Top 8 in the league for Goals scored
Bottom 4 in the league for Brownlow votes

Considering mids get most of the votes it cant get any clearer our mids & half forward/mids are amongst the worst in the league.

its abit mind boggling to be honest.

probably have the best forward in the comp (under 23)
probably the best midfielder in the comp (under 23)
probably have the best defender in the comp (under 23)

does someone like Cerra (made easier with Clarkson) and perhaps another midfielder, suddenly take us to the next level ..

i honestly look at our side, we are so much better than what we are currently ...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173 ... 266  Next