Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:57 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1634 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56 ... 82  Next

Who should be Carlton's next coach?
Teague 48%  48%  [ 125 ]
B Scott 2%  2%  [ 4 ]
Clarkson 13%  13%  [ 34 ]
Ratten 13%  13%  [ 33 ]
Voss 7%  7%  [ 18 ]
Malthouse 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Walls 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Caracella 3%  3%  [ 9 ]
Longmuir 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
Barker 0%  0%  [ 1 ]
Leppitsch 0%  0%  [ 1 ]
Mitchell 3%  3%  [ 7 ]
Bassett 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
Burns 2%  2%  [ 6 ]
Roos 3%  3%  [ 8 ]
Other 5%  5%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 262
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:34 pm 
Geoff Southby

BigBlueWave wrote:
DocSherrin III wrote:
BigBlueWave wrote:
I can't see any argument for appointing a Voss over a Ratten...

Ok...please enlighten me. Make an argument for Ratts over Voss. You have an opinion, but what's it based on?

OK ... To start with:

Career coaching record.

Ratten: 121 matches, 50.4% Win. (started right at the end of 2007 ... we finished second last that year)

Voss: 109 matches, 39.4% Win (started 2009 after Brisbane finished 10th)

When Ratten took over, Carlton were at rock bottom (we had a really crap list) and had gone through the miserable Pagan era where we had won multiple wood spoons. When Voss took over Brisbane they were 10th. Since then Ratten has served mainly under Clarkson which for me is a big tick. He was very well respected at Hawthorn as he is now at St Kilda. Voss has been assistant to Hinkley.

Shall I go on?

Next year would roughly be a similar experience level to where Carlton were 2008 or so. In other words pretty much ready to be a decent side next year.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:48 pm 
Bruce Doull

Volatile situation could see Fremantle and Ross Lyon amicably part ways at end of season
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-20 ... 2eb0c647c2

:yikes:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:11 am 
Bob Chitty

camelboy wrote:
Volatile situation could see Fremantle and Ross Lyon amicably part ways at end of season
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-20 ... 2eb0c647c2

:yikes:

Mick Warner said on Talking Footy last night that we’re not into Ross. Not sure how good his mail is but fingers crossed it’s true

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:44 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

#shudder.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:34 am 
Ken Hunter

Ideally I'd take Clarkson but realistically I can see Teague being our next coach.

That said, I agree with Doc that Teague needs a wiser head overseeing him to ensure that what happened to a younger Ratten doesn't happen to Teague.

So what are the options? Roos, Lyon, Scott, Richardson??? Dunno who I'd want. Roos is probably the best of the options there. Anyone else???

A garden to nurture and protect

#DopeThenStash

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:39 am 
Harry Vallence

bluechucky wrote:
Ideally I'd take Clarkson but realistically I can see Teague being our next coach.

That said, I agree with Doc that Teague needs a wiser head overseeing him to ensure that what happened to a younger Ratten doesn't happen to Teague.

So what are the options? Roos, Lyon, Scott, Richardson??? Dunno who I'd want. Roos is probably the best of the options there. Anyone else???

Should never have let Neil Craig go

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:54 am 
Ken Hunter

I think it will be down to Ratten and Teague. Teague doesn't need a wiser head. He is 11 years in the Coaching system and has seen 5 AFL clubs at work. The CV is big enough if he is chosen.

If he gets the gig it will be all about the support he gets from above that will make or break. If the Big guns are just 95% into him that that won't be enough. It's 110% or nada.

Ratts always gave me the impression he most certainly had the smarts but his failings were the lack of support from a few immediately above. Ratts was young and time was short back then. He was all about the footy and less about the politics of being a Coach. I observed he was abit knee jerk and manic to things not going well early on. I don't think he was trusting enough to accept the ideas of others and Carlton at that time was all over the shop with very little money. Only a few years earlier they were about to hand the front door keys back to the AFL.

With maturity and the wisdom of Clarkson in his back pocket, I'm hearing from a relative he is far more mellow than back in 2007. Just as smart but far more rounded and wise to the 'Big Picture' of being an AFL Coach.

Regards Cazzesman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:58 am 
Harry Vallence

What about Clarkson with Teague by his side for a couple of years with Teague to transition into the role full time?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:17 am 
formerly BlueRob

PLease ... Not Lyon .... exactly the sort of coach we don't need.

We are gunna stuff this up. Not Madhouse proportions but close.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:14 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Cazzesman wrote:
I think it will be down to Ratten and Teague. Teague doesn't need a wiser head. He is 11 years in the Coaching system and has seen 5 AFL clubs at work. The CV is big enough if he is chosen.

If he gets the gig it will be all about the support he gets from above that will make or break. If the Big guns are just 95% into him that that won't be enough. It's 110% or nada.

Ratts always gave me the impression he most certainly had the smarts but his failings were the lack of support from a few immediately above. Ratts was young and time was short back then. He was all about the footy and less about the politics of being a Coach. I observed he was abit knee jerk and manic to things not going well early on. I don't think he was trusting enough to accept the ideas of others and Carlton at that time was all over the shop with very little money. Only a few years earlier they were about to hand the front door keys back to the AFL.

With maturity and the wisdom of Clarkson in his back pocket, I'm hearing from a relative he is far more mellow than back in 2007. Just as smart but far more rounded and wise to the 'Big Picture' of being an AFL Coach.

Regards Cazzesman

You can just see the world weary experience in his whole being.
My hert breaks just to look at him tbh.
No doubt he'd be great for any club.
if I had to choose, would put Teague first for his fresh perspective and youthful vibe. He has great footy smarts as does Ratts.
Could cop Clarko as 3rd choice.
If Roos is the only way we get to keep Teague, then ok.
Huge waste of money for mine, but any of the above better than other options.
Out of those,
Voss
Scott.

he who shall not be named. :twisted: :evil: :twisted:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:33 am 
Harry Vallence

bluechucky wrote:

Richardson for mine from that choice.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:47 am 
Stephen Kernahan

What about Ratten AND Teague? We have two captains...why not two coaches? Ok then...problem solved! My work here is done. Everybody happy? Great!! Cheerio!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:38 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

yep.
#TeagueyRattsyyoubewdy

high five.

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:00 pm 
Rod Ashman

Cazzesman wrote:

Regards Cazzesman

Totally agree. Either back him fully or don't, (too many cooks ... etc). Personally I would from what I've seen and heard so far.

I'd still like to hear more about the Bolton appointment. Was it a mistake or not? If they can't decide that and are going to employ the same process, (possibly with the same people), to choose the next coach then how are going we going to be any more confident of a good decision?

I suspect that Bolton was more a positive than a negative and did a lot to improve the culture of the club after MM. It seems to me that had they parted ways at the end of 2018 it could've been very amicable and had that feeling of "a job well done".

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:16 pm 
Rod Ashman

Teague does not need an overseer. Neither would Ratts. Or Voss.
He needs excellent assistants and trusted confidants at the club he can bounce his thoughts off. That could be someone on the match committee, someone like SOS, or even the bootstudder. Does not need to be a highly paid and/visible mentor.
I would take Richardson as an assistant. It appears there are a bunch of great assistants who don’t make great senior coaches. I feel like we need to turn over at least a couple of our current assistants.

We don’t have to reassess our whole process because Bolton turned out not to be the guy. He had great credentials, had a good plan and approach and came across well throughout the interviews.
It is virtually impossible to tell how someone will actually go even if they have coached at senior level before, let alone a new coach. E.g.1 Malthouse, e.g.2 Pagan.
He did some great things for our club, especially in terms of culture. But couldn’t deliver on the field. It is a game of inches and maybe things would have been different if we’d beaten the GC and the
Hawks earlier in the year. But we didn’t. And it wasn’t.
I think his lack of experience had him reverting into his shell and /or sticking too rigidly to his guns in the wake of ongoing poor performances. He basically tightened up once the pressure came to bear and this was reflected in the players.

Teague has released the pressure and maintained a good standard beyond the initial honeymoon. We now have 5 more weeks to fully assess his ability to do this week in, week out for the next 5 years or more. I have certainly been impressed thus far.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:19 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

BigKev wrote:
Cazzesman wrote:

Regards Cazzesman

Totally agree. Either back him fully or don't, (too many cooks ... etc). Personally I would from what I've seen and heard so far.

I'd still like to hear more about the Bolton appointment. Was it a mistake or not? If they can't decide that and are going to employ the same process, (possibly with the same people), to choose the next coach then how are going we going to be any more confident of a good decision?

I suspect that Bolton was more a positive than a negative and did a lot to improve the culture of the club after MM. It seems to me that had they parted ways at the end of 2018 it could've been very amicable and had that feeling of "a job well done".

Bolton had Neil Craig for a couple of years, and the wheels really fell off when he left. That being said, from what I've seen, I don't think Teague needs a 'mentor'.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:09 pm 
Ken Hunter

Scotty12000 wrote:
bluechucky wrote:

Should never have let Neil Craig go

I don't think we let him go. He wanted to move on to other things and I think he moved into a different sport.
This was the turning point for Bolton, after Craig left we really struggled to win many games.
Brad Scott would be perfect for this role, if he wants to do it.
Richardson or even Sanderson would be ideal too.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:13 pm 
Craig Bradley

Cazzesman wrote:

Regards Cazzesman

Teague and his choice of assistants would be better than Teague, Clarkson in the backseat and whoever is available for next to nothing. If Clarkson is in the beackseat, then there can’t be 110% support for Teague.

The success of Hawthorn assistants is a credit to Fagan.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:39 pm 
Robert Walls

17th Premiership wrote:
I think his lack of experience had him reverting into his shell and /or sticking too rigidly to his guns in the wake of ongoing poor performances. He basically tightened up once the pressure came to bear and this was reflected in the players.

I think his problem was he was sticking to the long term development of the younger kids to the detriment of results. Since Teague has taken over, Ed and Murph have spent more time in the middle. We are reliant on the older guys doing the bulk of the work at the moment. The test will be over the next few weeks when the better teams put work into shutting down our experienced guys.

Feelgood Hit of the Winter - GHRP-2, GHRP-6, CJC-1295, AOD-9604, Humanofort and Hexarelin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:43 pm 
Geoff Southby

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/rat ... 529m4.html

The last paragraph is the interesting one for me. Does Hinkley come under ‘Other’ for our poll?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1634 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56 ... 82  Next