Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:11 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:54 am 
Ken Hunter

I thought a wise man once told us, Setanta was ready to play round1. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:08 am 
Ken Hunter

I am no wise man but from what i've seen and from a couple of the bullants games my brother saw Setanta is ready but the club is now in a position to take its time and not rush things. Doesn't mean his isn't ready, just that we have more time. Things change Surrey - you should know that 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:13 am 
Ken Hunter

Danny, he is not ready. Why can't you people accept that. He needs more time. He shows plenty but he is simple not ready for AFL football.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:20 am 
Stephen Kernahan

I agree Surrey. He is good, and he will be ready one day, but certainly not straight away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:47 am 
Wayne Johnston

From what I've read all the rookies are learning and progressing nicely with the bullants without being rushed which is a good thing.
In the short term I think we have enough semi tall options to cover Thorntons loss.
The long term gains are what counts and I wouldn't want the rookie talents being thrown to the wolves too early.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:15 pm 
Ken Hunter

I don't accept it 'cos I don't agree.

What is ready?

What we are really talking about is is he in our best 22?

Not anymore is the answer but before the Wizard's cup I would have thought close to it, every close.

He is ready but we have come a long way since last year (when he was promoted because he was ready) and now there is no need because he wouldn't get a game anyway - different scenario from being ready.

Pedantic? Probably but I was actually responsing to your 'wise man' thing which was a dig at Synbad rather than whether Setanta is ready or not. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:36 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I would promote Sentanta if Thorntons injury and the rules allow it..I'd pick a soft game to play him in and give him limited game time.
Its about giving him a look and a taste of senior football rather than expecting him to be a superstar ...
Remember he is an experimental player....so lets experiment a little and learn something, gauge how far he has come.....let the beast loose...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:15 pm 
Rod Ashman

I would have thought that it would be safe to assume that Fisher won't play any footy for the next eight weeks. If this is indeed the case, why not promote Setanta/Pleming?

Thornton isn't out long enough for us to consider placing him on the LTI list, but Fisher is, so what are we waiting for?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:19 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

I wouldn't promote anyone. Fisher's injury is LTI, isn't it? let someone earn it, then promote them.

Lets not forget that Setanta HAS to be elevated at the end of this year... if at all... right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:34 pm 
Bob Chitty

Setanta is not ready and also a post a while back that suggested there is a bit of trouble with the irish lads has some truth from what I have heard. Don't want to be chopped down as the author of that post was but I think Setanta will have a year of Bullants footy unless injuries hit crisis point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:40 pm 
John Nicholls

Pickle wrote:
Setanta is not ready and also a post a while back that suggested there is a bit of trouble with the irish lads has some truth from what I have heard. Don't want to be chopped down as the author of that post was but I think Setanta will have a year of Bullants footy unless injuries hit crisis point.

Care to elaborate on the comment re: bit of trouble with the Irish lads?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:34 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

There is no trouble with the Irish lads, other than the fact that they are training too hard and have been advised to take it easy by the coaching staff. :wink:

Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:42 pm 
Bruce Doull

Elwood Blues1 wrote:
I would promote Sentanta if Thorntons injury and the rules allow it..I'd pick a soft game to play him in and give him limited game time.
Its about giving him a look and a taste of senior football rather than expecting him to be a superstar ...
Remember he is an experimental player....so lets experiment a little and learn something, gauge how far he has come.....let the beast loose...

Agreed.

Play him in the Essendon* game, we won't get a softer one that that in the next 8 weeks. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:29 pm 
Harry Vallence

Agree Setanta is not ready (sick of seeing him in many the best 22 teams at the start of the season) but he is probably more ready then the rest of our rookies! Forgot about Fisher obviously the match committee don't think any rookie is ready yet or they would have been promoted. Agree with what Elwood said give him a taste in an easier game if he is promoted. Would play him on the 3 best tall and tell him just to follow his man wherever he goes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:47 pm 
Rod McGregor

Fisher has been training with the main group for some time now. True it is that he is in a standout guernsey to warn the others to treat him gently, but he is kicking and baulking and switching direction. If he is supposed to be out of contention for a game in the VFL or AFL until after Round 8, somebody forgot to tell him. I can't see him agreeing to be placed on the LTI list.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 11:49 pm 
Harry Vallence

Mav wrote:
Fisher has been training with the main group for some time now. True it is that he is in a standout guernsey to warn the others to treat him gently, but he is kicking and baulking and switching direction. If he is supposed to be out of contention for a game in the VFL or AFL until after Round 8, somebody forgot to tell him. I can't see him agreeing to be placed on the LTI list.

Well Mav you had better tell him.