Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:03 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: collo whinging
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:02 am 
Adrian Gallagher

While I detest the smugness of the Patrick Smith article, I've got to say that I wish Collo would just keep his mouth shut about the past. Wouldn't it be just so much better if we just went about our business of rebuilding towards another premiership without complaining about the punishment we've endured? Others will make mention of it; there's no need for anyone at Carlton to constantly beating the drum about it. Collo is starting to sound a bit like that other whinger, Sheedy.

I also cringed when Kouta thanked the supporters for sticking around so long. It's only been three seasons since we made the finals, for godsake!!

We've still got a long way to go to being BACK. I reckon we should celebrate the gains we're making, but not expect too much from a very young team. This team is not about avenging wrongs from the past; it's about making its own successes. Let's let them do just that!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:08 am 
Bruce Doull

Ummmmm........

wellll-commme.......Doc........!

kindest regards tommi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:11 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Dont agree ..sometimes you need reminding of the past and Kouta had every right to thank the loyal supporters for sticking around and keeping the club going.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:21 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

How can you suggest Kouta shouldn't thank the fans? That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:23 am 
Adrian Gallagher

I didn't say he shouldn't thank the fans, did I?

It was the 'sticking with us for so long' part that was cringe-worthy...

I was sitting with my mate who was an old Fitzroy man. He just shook his head.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:29 am 
Wayne Johnston

Hi drsilvagni,

I agree that Dennis and the team should get on with making their own history over the next few years and I think that's exactly what they're doing.

With regards to Kouta's comments I think it's great that the club consider 3 years a loooong time between drinks because we are Carlton, a club with a history of success, not mediocrity.

Even though I'm still a bit dubious about Collo's involvement with the Dome/home games deal, I still think considering the clubs' position when he and his board took over they've done a good job getting the club back on the rails. It's still a bit soon for the club to forget where we were at 2 years ago and I can understand that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:31 am 
Horrie Clover

Dr Silvagni,

I guess Kouta said what he really felt after his team who where on recently on the bottom of the ladder and who'd been thrashed a few times last year had come so far as to be a competitive team again.

Let's not be critical of what's said and how you choose to interpret it.

And, what would you rather he'd said" Ah, thanks to the AFL for those draft penalities you handed us, they really helped win tonight and all our supporters a grateful to you for the penalty"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:32 am 
Stephen Silvagni

I'm sick of Collo whinging too. He's at least partly responsible for the penalties we got anyway for insisting on being so honest.

"there’s more chance of me becoming the full forward for the [Western Bulldogs] than there is of any change in the Labor Party." Julia Gillard 18-05-2010

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:59 am 
Rod Ashman

Our first wooden spoon ever, some of the most embarrassing and non-competitive performances ever seen by Carlton sides, premium draft picks ripped from our grasp, daunting financial difficulties and million dollar fines, ridicule from other sections of the football community, at times a very bleak future and uncertainty.

Yeah, I would say Kouta's thanks for sticking by the club in the last 3 difficult years was more than appropriate!!!! :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:06 am 
Bruce Doull

drsilvagni wrote:
I didn't say he shouldn't thank the fans, did I?

It was the 'sticking with us for so long' part that was cringe-worthy...

I was sitting with my mate who was an old Fitzroy man. He just shook his head.

I can see where your mate is coming from. But for Carlton, and in a peverse kind of way, we should be proud that we have only really suffered two seriously crap years, well, in my lifetime, and quite possibly over the club's entire history. Just because other teams have gone longer without success does not mean we should alter our expectations accordingly. We're Carlton!

I have no probs with what Kouta said, and in the respect that in 2003 and 2004 we have attracted our largest membership numbers in our histroy I think Kouta had every right for thankin the fans for sticking by their team.

How many other teams do you reckon post their best ever membership tally the year after a wooden spoon? ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:28 am 
Bruce Comben

I think that the past shouldn't be brought up every two seconds and Collo should let it rest. We all know what happened. We know what punishment was dished out and that has obviously affected the timeline of when the club climbs up the ladder. But to constantly harp on about lost draft picks and such ain't going to achieve anything. Put it aside and get on with it.

I think Kouta thanking the fans was good. All clubs have bandwagon jumping fans. Good support from fans is something that the players will appreciate and it's good to see the players acknowleding that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:33 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

As a great scribe once said "If we forget the past we are damned to repeat it".

I say never forget what happened to us in 2002 and it should always be a motivating force moving forward.

Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:36 am 
Robert Walls

TruBlueBrad wrote:
I'm sick of Collo whinging too. He's at least partly responsible for the penalties we got anyway for insisting on being so honest.

*sigh*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:39 pm 
Adrian Gallagher

Blue Bird wrote:
TruBlueBrad wrote:

*sigh*

*double sigh*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:26 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

TruBlueBrad wrote:
:roll:

Do you know how much an injunction costs? We had no money for the bond... would likely have sent us into liquidation - there would have been no CFC for you then.

- Igor Stravinsky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:34 pm 
Trevor Keogh

if there's one thing for certain in AFL, apart from a week being a long time in footy :lol: , is that club officials will whinge!

essenscum wants the fizzy-wizz cup scrapped cos they had to go play in joomoondalup. actually, essenscum whinges about everything.

collingwould(butneverdoes) whinges over brisbane and sydney cap allowances (so too do we 8) )

the interstate clubs over playing finals here .... etc etc

none of it is done without there being some agenda.

but fatprick and your good self drsilvagni have missed out on the fact that collo said what he did as part of an article that was a retrospective look at how pagan dragged us out of the mud. collo's comments were within the context of the article.

it's collo's opinion that the penalties were too harsh, and i believe he has a reason for having that opinion! :wink:

i have no basis for this, and should probably not say anything (but that's never stopped me in the past :lol: ) but i believe that collo had been given some sort of undertaking by the afl that led him to co-operate perhaps over and beyond what he may otherwise had done. the fact is the other clubs ganged up on us and demanded that we be hit with the kitchen sink ... the afl had no alternative.

don't think that i'm absolving demetriou and evans, their hipocracy and actions at the time and since are beyond the pale!! AGRO would have to first wait until i'd finished with them before getting a crack!!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:44 pm 
Ken Hunter

I agree with Collo. He should whinge and whinge and whinge about our treatment. Don't be fooled people, others loved us getting kicked in the teeth. :twisted:

As for Koutoufides statements. Nothing wrong with acknowledging the supporters/members for kicking in and helping the club. If it weren't for the Calton people, we would not have got over 30,000 members If it wasn't for most influencial supporters diggining deap to sponser the club, welll...............

Common people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:02 pm 
Bruce Doull

I remember that it was reported that Collo had made a deal with the AFL regarding the penalties which was then reneged upon by Demetriou.
I think he's entitled to whinge all he likes in that case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:49 pm 
Bruce Doull

Wojee wrote:
I remember that it was reported that Collo had made a deal with the AFL regarding the penalties which was then reneged upon by Demetriou.
I think he's entitled to whinge all he likes in that case.

Pretty sure Caro wrote as much in one of her articles last year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:05 pm 
Garry Crane

Carlton were to be only given a financial penalty.

That changed when legal action was threatened.

We have every right to not so much whinge, but remind EVERYONE where we have come from as a club. The fine was one thing, the draft penalties were in breach of what the AFL had been preaching in relation to a level playing field.

Collo promised not to take legal action when he was elected. His plan was totally rejected by Demetriou. Evans I believe was sympathetic