Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:23 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Carrots
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:17 pm 
Robert Walls

Andrew carrazzo....great effort and what a success story.

he does however need to pick up on the quality of his disposal. All bar one was a turnover or direct to player under pressure.

love him for the way he attacks and finds the footy (rare ability), but before he gets a guernsey in the middle of the action he needs to improve

over to your thoughts

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:21 pm 
Rod Ashman

Love him. Got a bit a toe about him aswell as being a bit of a hard nut.
He is proving to be very handy in the backline.

Post subject: Re: Carrots
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:39 pm 
Laurie Kerr

london blue wrote:
Andrew carrazzo....great effort and what a success story.

he does however need to pick up on the quality of his disposal. All bar one was a turnover or direct to player under pressure.

love him for the way he attacks and finds the footy (rare ability), but before he gets a guernsey in the middle of the action he needs to improve

over to your thoughts

Bit tough i reckon, I thought his disposal was OK, could be a real wildcard off half-back, gives us greater flexiblility with Lappin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:33 am 
Ken Hunter

I thought he did OK. Disposal's still not the best, but it's nowhere near as bad as what I've heard it made out to be.

I like him. He's hard at it - the sort of player we wants at Carlton.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:44 am 
Bruce Doull

Better decision making will come with more senior experience. The Wizzer Cup GF was pretty intense and both teams were hell bent on winning, I expect the kids would have gained a lot from this game.

They'll get better, we can't expect them to have the silky smooth skills of 150 game veteran in their first couple of seasons. It's only a rare few that can do this. Wells and Judd probably the better examples in recent years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:46 am 
Ken Hunter

great effort but I know what you mean London, i think the problem may be in his klicking action, think it might be suspect undeer the pressure of an intense game.

A couple of his disposals hurt us but he gets the ball and he played much better when he went deeper into defence.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:32 am 
Rod McGregor

camelboy wrote:
Better decision making will come with more senior experience. The Wizzer Cup GF was pretty intense and both teams were hell bent on winning, I expect the kids would have gained a lot from this game.

They'll get better, we can't expect them to have the silky smooth skills of 150 game veteran in their first couple of seasons. It's only a rare few that can do this. Wells and Judd probably the better examples in recent years.

I share those sentiments Camel, but I'm not sure they apply to Carrots. He turned 21 at the end of last year (DOB 15.12.83). Remember that Geelong stole him off us in the rookie draft 3 years ago when he was training with us, and he was rookie listed for 2 years there.

He may have a mature body (187cm/88kg) but he is a rookie when it comes to senior experience, so your comments are valid in that respect. It will take him some time to fully adjust, and his VFL experience only has a limited relevance. He needs a full season of senior football until we can really assess him, and he should improve markedly this year.

I am pleasantly surprised by him. I thought he must have failed at Geelong because he was slow - a natural footballer rather than an athlete. But failing to make a mark there when they had a glut of young midfielders was no disgrace. His pace seems to be fine, as demonstrated by his 2 shut-out performances against Davey. And he does have the ability to find the ball and rebound out of defence, as stated in previous posts.

I wonder whether he might be an in-and-under prospect in the midfield. He certainly has the bulk to do the job. But at the moment there is no desperate need to throw him around, and the emphasis should be on continuing his apprenticeship in defence (the time honoured path taken by Ratten and others). And let's not forget that only a short time ago, a common (and justified) complaint was that we didn't have anybody to take the nippy small forwards and provide run out of defence.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:57 am 
Ken Hunter

I thought a couple of 40 metre left foot passes late in the game, when under pressure, to a running player were 'special'. :wink:

The good thing about Carraz is he has completely shut down his last 10 opponents since the end of last season. I honestly can't remember him being beaten since he has joined the senior team as a defender.

He absolutely towelled Sampi on Saturday night.

He likes a dash and the great thing about him is he use to actually getting the footy alot. In the VFL he is a 25-35 possession a game man. Not many kids are use to getting the ball that often. He is a VFL midfielder so he knows how to win his own ball.

The kid has got alot going for him now he has realised he must manup, defend first and beat his direct opponent, before rebounding aggressively.

He is quickly becoming Mr Dependable down back and thats good for CFC.

Regards Cazzesman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:03 am 
Laurie Kerr

Quote:
But failing to make a mark there when they had a glut of young midfielders was no disgrace
Exactly.
This brings up a broader view about recruiting midfielders. I think the success of the Lions has had an impact on recruiting methods throughout the AFL. There is a perception that to succeed in AFL one must have at least 4 top line midfielders and a couple more not too far behind. Given that scenario, I believe there is an overemphasis in some clubs, to building up the midfield stocks Eagles and Geelong are prime examples.
Thompson and Worsfold have deliberately gone out to develop ball magnets that can play midfield, so much so that they end up with an embarrassment of riches that result in players such as Chambers and Carazzo coming to Carlton. You can include Scotland in this list depending on how you rate the Pies midfield(going back 2 years ago before Buckley started to get injured, it was pretty handy)
The surprising thing is that other clubs are able to pick up these "second string midfielders" so cheaply, surprising given the value placed on midfielders by coaches such as Thompson and Worsfold. Another surprising thing is that the Eagles wanted Stenglein to add to their midfield(at a significant cost to them) but were willing to depart with Chambers for peanuts.
Perhaps the moral is that proven midfielders have real trading currency whereas the second stringers do not.

That being the case, enter the Genius of Pagan. rather than getting into a bidding war over players such as Judd, Ackermanis, Crawford, Kerr to name a few, which would come at a significant cost to us financially or trade wise, he instead targeted out of favor midfielders that were flying "below the radar" and as such did not come at a significant cost to us. Perhaps you can add Bannister(more a tagger) Johnson, McGrath and Longmuir to the players already mentioned.
The point being that Pagan has a belief in his ability to "find the key" that turns a player from being an also ran into a quality player.
The first that he did that to was our current favorite big Fev. No doubt he would have been lost to us forever were it not for Denis finding the key that unlocked Fevs huge talent. No wonder the older players that were shipped out after Denis's first year, were moved on, there was simply no ignition left- they had been members of one of the teams of the century and had basically been able to motivate themselves- they didn't need this old bloke with curly hair trying to motivate them did they?
So by providing a fertile nursery for midfielders all the other clubs are playing into Denis's hand. The old "cradle snatcher" (you know what I mean) will continue his annual raids, picking up the unpolished gems and slowly turning them into real players. The ultimate in "value adding" in economic terms. This is why Denis is worth everything to this club. The ability to bring players in for minimal cost and turn them into potential premiership players has so many benefits that it is hard to overstate them. Going forward with our midfield stocks full we will now be able to cherry pick a little bit . Not like Elliot did, because that was his whole strategy, but if there is a particular player that Denis wants , we will be in a position to "have a go" because we will have the picks and the salary cap room. The KPP players will assume more importance in our recruiting because the old "cradle snatcher " can go and grab another one from another club whenever he needs one.
Soon we will have the players to grab our next Premiership. Soon we will have clubs wanting to grab some of our stars to rebuild with. But Pagan will be a hard Coach to leave, more than any other AFL coach Denis will have them playing for him and the club. If they want to leave you can be sure that it will be because of a huge offer- which we all know is not how you win premierships in todays AFL football- don't we Jack?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:21 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Re. Cazz's comments.....Carrazzo left foot is better than his right...uses both hands to drop the ball on his right similar to Andrew Walker yet I think he drops the ball with one hand on his left and seems to get better results....he is a good little player and gives us some run out of the backline and deserves to start rnd1 in the backpocket.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:25 pm 
Ken Hunter

dannyboy wrote:
great effort but I know what you mean London, i think the problem may be in his klicking action, think it might be suspect undeer the pressure of an intense game.

If he licks his thumb first the friction applied in the klicking action will make it sound louder..

I sincerely hope that helps! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 3:14 pm 
Ken Hunter

8) go get flower! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 3:21 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I'm fast repeating what Elwood says but... :wink:

I think Carazzo's disposal is his one weakness and I am worried about his right foot disposal. His left foot is better for some reason, though it might be like me when i'm playing soccer, better on my left foot than my right, even though i'm a right footer. Tredrea is similar. How many times does Warren wheel onto his left foot to kick long? Quite a few times during a game I would say.

- Igor Stravinsky

Post subject: Carrots
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 3:23 pm 
Geoff Southby

Dont know whats up with you guys.Carrots kicking this year has been pretty good.Its his handballing that has been crap.Dropped a couple of handballs that fell well short of there intended target to create turnovers for weagles.Work on that son.Been advocating a midfield role for 12 months.Gets the ball full stop.A walk up start in the starting 18 for mine.