Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:09 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:29 am 
Rod Ashman

missnaut wrote:
tommi wrote:
Ya know….

I’m exhausted still…mentally obviously….
not sure how i would’ve handled the stress
of a GF week*….!

there’s a sort of relief I’m experiencing…!

hard to explain the feeling…!

it’s funny…right up till we lost i honestly
believed we could win the GF…but as soon
as we lost…the feeling of…yeah maybe
we weren’t ready yet appeared…!

Is much easier when we are shit. That acceptance that things would just end at r23 had its own kind of peace.

it’s all good…just a little sad really…and none
of the devastation we’ve experienced in the past…!

kindest regards tommi

* I’m sure i would’ve found a way…!

Good summary. Feeling very much the same. Also, just wasn't ready for the season to end which is a new feeling for us.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:40 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

aboynamedsue wrote:
Stefchook wrote:
Braithy wrote:
the other side of the draw woulda been much nicer. lol

Too right it would have been. GWS were terrific, but they also got a much easier run in the finals.

GWS had to travel interstate every week during the finals. Not sure they had an easier run than us. Admittedly, Brisbane in Brisbane has become the toughest fixture in AFL - but at least we got to play on our home ground in the first two weeks of the finals. If we had to have played at the Adelaide Oval in the semi, I’m not so sure we would have made it to the prelim.

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:23 am 
Bruce Doull

club29 wrote:
CK95 wrote:
bluedog wrote:
Which reminds me, do we really need to pay what is paid for GF entertainment?

I'd pay a million if they came out & played their mega sleazy stuff from Dressed To Kill :lol:

I'm hoping for them to do The Elder from start to finish. Just a Boy will bring the house down.

That'd certainly have Joffa up & about :grin:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:26 am 
Bruce Doull

jim wrote:
In the context of a final GWS virtually got a bruise free game against Port. Meanwhile we got the two crash and bash sides. Couldn't have got 2 more difficult sides to play those finals against.

I can't quite pinpoint why, but I was very happy that we didn't have to play St Kilda

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:57 am 
Ken Hunter

Saints were terrible, I reckon the Membrey thing threw them right off.

Port were gettable but we do have the AO hoodoo still.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:22 pm 
Geoff Southby

CK95 wrote:
club29 wrote:
CK95 wrote:
bluedog wrote:
Which reminds me, do we really need to pay what is paid for GF entertainment?

I'd pay a million if they came out & played their mega sleazy stuff from Dressed To Kill :lol:

I'm hoping for them to do The Elder from start to finish. Just a Boy will bring the house down.

That'd certainly have Joffa up & about :grin:

:eek:

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:58 pm 
Robert Walls

tommi wrote:
Ya know….

of a GF week*….!

kindest regards tommi

Hey Tommi

Life is all about Markov theories (not the Oleg type)

Much of our actions/feelings in the present are dictated by what was GIVEN previously

I am 100% convinced we let a unique opportunity slip through our fingers GIVEN the start we had on Saturday and GIVEN the woeful, woeful woeful turnovers on transition

Therefore, my feelings now are based on the "what might have been" (GIVEN) on Saturday

If (GIVEN) we had been belted on Saturday (as the pundits were expecting) we would be in a more reflective, peaceful state now

The <3 goal loss, the great start, the costly turnovers, quiet/average games by many are what has me feeling down

This (for me anyway) had nothing to do with being banged up, with running out of steam etc.

For me, it was a genuine opportunity that went begging and now football is over for me this year...I want nothing else but a Bris win on Saturday. Cannot stomach a Coll premiership

Just hope and pray the entire club don't assume it will just happen next year

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 1:22 pm 
Bruce Doull

GIVEN'N.....!

Sent from my Nokia G21 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 2:02 pm 
Bruce Doull

Teehee….

you’re funny Cee Katy…!

kindest regards tommi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 2:11 pm 
Bruce Doull

Sidefx wrote:
Unfortunate ending to a brilliant second half of the season.
I didn’t think we’d make finals let alone winning 2 of them.
The boys should be proud and have the fire to go all the way next year.

We were doomed from the start IMO, we are too slow and lack enough players with good skills and decision making more often than not.
We really need to add speed in the middle and wings in the off season, that killed us today and has been our issue for several years now and we can’t hide from it anymore.
We also really need to tighten up our F50 entries, we could’ve had them in the bag in the first quarter or comeback in the last, very costly especially with 2 dominant forwards on the ground.
Instead Harris Andrews had a blinder because of it.
Brisbane are a really good team, quicker and strong with good decision making and skills to match, it was always going to be a tough game, especially at the Gabba.
At least we didn’t get flogged.

We were dominated in the ruck by a bigger smarter ruck and that’s were the problems started.
Both Pitto and TDK were soundly beaten.
TDK only attended 3 of the 24 CB’s, I think he should’ve been in there a bit more against a ruck that doesn’t jump as good as him.
Our midfield tried hard but in the end were too slow and easily beaten.
Walsh was outstanding, we need another mid or two at his level.
Dunkley did a number on the captain, I said it at the time, I really would’ve like to have got him.
Our wings were too slow and Berry killed Hollands (11 disposals & 146m gained) and Acres was good but not as good as he has been.
Hollands was always going to be a risky inclusion but I’m guessing it was done just incase Doc or Acres were injured. He got pushed off the ball way too easily for a finals game.
I hope he hits the gym hard for the next 5 months, with a ton of sprint training.

I thought Boyd was huge and was a great selection.
Marchbank also played a good game, did some really nice things.
Weitering played a great game also.
Saad really put the brakes on Charlie which was great to see.
Newman was instrumental at times but dropped his head for a couple of kicks straight to Coleman who tore us a new one.
Cincotta played alright, did some nice things but could’ve been better.
Williams will be a great injection to the back 6 next season and will address some of our shortfalls.

Cottrell was really disappointing, he popped up at the start and the end but went missing all game.
Martin kicked a couple but overall was a little quiet and we needed the ball in his hands more often, his defensive work is invaluable.
Motlop and Fogarty were soundly beaten, didn’t really do much to impact the game.
I think Owies being dropped may have been another selection error.
Curnow tried hard but was soundly beaten, I think he could’ve been used further up the ground more, like we did with Harry.
He plays more like Jeremy Cameron in that role and his delivery is always a lot better than what we have coming from the middle.
McKay did some really good stuff up the ground and managed to kick a couple which was good to see.
I think our forward line were soundly beaten though, but a lot of that stemmed from poor delivery into F50.

A lot to unpack in the off season, but we have a lot of good things working at the club at the moment.
I hope we make some tough calls at the trade table this year and inject some more talent to address our areas of weakness and we go all the way next year.
Thanks to the players, coaches and club for making following the Blues fun again.
Go Blues!!

Agree it would have been nice to push Charlie up towards the middle late in the game as a hybrid fwd/mid. As you say, and we know, he delivers the ball well inside 50.

I think if there's anything to criticse Voss for, it's that I think it was worth throwing the magnets around a bit to try and shift the dynamic.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 2:14 pm 
Wayne Johnston

Yes, I would have liked to see Charlie thrown on ball in the last quarter.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 2:17 pm 
Geoff Southby

camel wrote:

Agree it would have been nice to push Charlie up towards the middle late in the game as a hybrid fwd/mid. As you say, and we know, he delivers the ball well inside 50.

I think if there's anything to criticse Voss for, it's that I think it was worth throwing the magnets around a bit to try and shift the dynamic.

That and the player selection of Hollands and not Owies for the game are my only 2 critiques.
But without knowing the true extent of injury with Acres or Doc, I'd hope it was done for that reason.
And although I really like Kennedy I probably would've preferred some speed in the sub, we all knew how quick they would be.
But hindsight is a better vantage point I guess.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 2:29 pm 
Bruce Doull

Totally understand all the comments about feeling at peace with the result, although we’re all disappointed, of course.

I also understand the view that we had an opportunity in front of us to achieve more and didn’t take it. We could have won the Brisbane game and you can mount a strong argument that we could beat Collingwood in the GF.

A couple of points on that, the first quarter was total bliss and while it was unlikely to last it shows us what we are capable of at the pointy end of the year when we play at our absolute best against elite competition.

And, I think the contentment comes from the fact we’ve been so starved for finals action for so long that racking up two good wins was already a great outcome. It’s easy now for the coaches and the club to say we’re hungry for more, but we need to see real actions backing that up right from the start of the season in 2024.

From a big picture perspective I think the two biggest things to takeaway from this year are our ability to both turnaround our season when it was all looking shit and that we won the close games that we were losing in 2022. That shows resilience and that we are capable of learning from past experiences. This Carlton group has shown it doesn’t fold.

That helps build belief that we won’t be a flash in the pan and that we can go into the next season with genuine hope that we make it deep into September again. The plan is always to compete in finals, not just make them. Look at the Lions, who have been thereabouts for years, or Collingwood who have gone at least one step further than last season. Just like some players need a few preseasons to build a body strong enough to endure a season, you need to mentally build your way into finals through repeat experiences. Winning two finals this year is massive for us!

Of course, the pressure on our club (internal AND external) next year is going to be massive. But from the salvage job we pulled off this year we know that the group has the heart to fight. And we know it because we’ve seen it.

It’s now up to the recruiters and coaches to tweak the list and game style to ensure we get the opportunity again next year. As a collective the players have shown they have the will.

GO BLUES!!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 2:39 pm 
Rod Ashman

camel wrote:
Totally understand all the comments about feeling at peace with the result, although we’re all disappointed, of course.

I also understand the view that we had an opportunity in front of us to achieve more and didn’t take it. We could have won the Brisbane game and you can mount a strong argument that we could beat Collingwood in the GF.

A couple of points on that, the first quarter was total bliss and while it was unlikely to last it shows us what we are capable of at the pointy end of the year when we play at our absolute best against elite competition.

And, I think the contentment comes from the fact we’ve been so starved for finals action for so long that racking up two good wins was already a great outcome. It’s easy now for the coaches and the club to say we’re hungry for more, but we need to see real actions backing that up right from the start of the season in 2024.

From a big picture perspective I think the two biggest things to takeaway from this year are our ability to both turnaround our season when it was all looking shit and that we won the close games that we were losing in 2022. That shows resilience and that we are capable of learning from past experiences. This Carlton group has shown it doesn’t fold.

That helps build belief that we won’t be a flash in the pan and that we can go into the next season with genuine hope that we make it deep into September again. The plan is always to compete in finals, not just make them. Look at the Lions, who have been thereabouts for years, or Collingwood who have gone at least one step further than last season. Just like some players need a few preseasons to build a body strong enough to endure a season, you need to mentally build your way into finals through repeat experiences. Winning two finals this year is massive for us!

Of course, the pressure on our club (internal AND external) next year is going to be massive. But from the salvage job we pulled off this year we know that the group has the heart to fight. And we know it because we’ve seen it.

It’s now up to the recruiters and coaches to tweak the list and game style to ensure we get the opportunity again next year. As a collective the players have shown they have the will.

GO BLUES!!!

YES! GO Blues!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 2:42 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

8 day break - tick
Almost 50% crowd support - tick
Kick the first 5 goals of the game - tick

Unfortunately we were just not good enough and still need to improve significantly to challenge next year.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 2:52 pm 
Geoff Southby

carntheblues wrote:
camel wrote:

GO BLUES!!!

YES! GO Blues!

Here here. :clap: :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:42 pm 
Rod Ashman

Sidefx wrote:
camel wrote:

That and the player selection of Hollands and not Owies for the game are my only 2 critiques.
But without knowing the true extent of injury with Acres or Doc, I'd hope it was done for that reason.
And although I really like Kennedy I probably would've preferred some speed in the sub, we all knew how quick they would be.

Would have preferred owies to Motlop in finals footy - and kept Ollie
Having said that the MC made more correct choices this year than me….

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:03 pm 
Ken Hands

SurreyBlue wrote:
Disappointed but content with the year.
Marchbank was fantastic and showed why he has been so highly rated by many.
Boyd is best 22. No doubt in my mind. Should play all of 2024, if fit.
Hopefully McKay talk is put to bed. TdK, Motlop and Hollands are going to be better next year.
Missed SOS and hopefully Williams will make us stronger again.
Really need to add some pace across half forward.
Fog’s defensive pressure was good but he lacks the run and penetration needed. Cottrell doesn’t do enough. Sorry but them the facts.
If Elijah Hollands has pace and run, bring him in to play across half forward. Hopefully Williams can play across there next year as well.
All in all - the boys will hopefully use this disappointment to go further again next year and now know they can!!!
I was thinking the exact same thing about Williams. It might help our F50 entry problem to some extent.

Especially if Boyd stays fit and keeps playing like he did on Saturday, we don't need Williams down back.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:12 am 
Geoff Southby

Arnhem blues wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
camel wrote:

Would have preferred owies to Motlop in finals footy - and kept Ollie
Having said that the MC made more correct choices this year than me….

I would’ve preferred two small forwards, forcing them to go smaller and giving the talls a better chance when TDK floated up forwards. But I agree, the MC know more than us.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:27 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

99prelim wrote:
tommi wrote:
Ya know….

of a GF week*….!

kindest regards tommi

Hey Tommi

Life is all about Markov theories (not the Oleg type)

Much of our actions/feelings in the present are dictated by what was GIVEN previously

I am 100% convinced we let a unique opportunity slip through our fingers GIVEN the start we had on Saturday and GIVEN the woeful, woeful woeful turnovers on transition

Therefore, my feelings now are based on the "what might have been" (GIVEN) on Saturday

If (GIVEN) we had been belted on Saturday (as the pundits were expecting) we would be in a more reflective, peaceful state now

The <3 goal loss, the great start, the costly turnovers, quiet/average games by many are what has me feeling down

This (for me anyway) had nothing to do with being banged up, with running out of steam etc.

For me, it was a genuine opportunity that went begging and now football is over for me this year...I want nothing else but a Bris win on Saturday. Cannot stomach a Coll premiership

Just hope and pray the entire club don't assume it will just happen next year

So true.

But I have to always look on the bright side of life.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next