Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:39 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 309 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:16 am 
John James

CK95 wrote:
Caller to SEN summed it up pretty well this morning. The guy who was possibly concussed passes to a first year kid, the sub, who passes it to a guy whose shoulder just popped out. Who passes to a guy who can only use one arm, goal!

Sounds like the plot for The Fugitive. :grin:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:27 am 
John James

dannyboy wrote:
What a crazy night...the voice was a physical thing - a concrete thing, like a slab being poured, the sound just filled your whole body, it made the stands vibrate, it filled the void of the last 20 years, it washed the pain away, the dark years are gone, the light has returned and it was delivered by the voice, the single voice of the bluebagger army....never have I heard such a voice, a primal release of 20 year's disappointment.. it was the voice of a body unclenched, releasing finally the rhythmic movement disorders as we Carlton faithful have rocked ourselves to try and handle the pain...no longer do we rock with pain...we now rock with pleasure...with awe...and for those of us old enough...with memory! Oh sweet voice.,...oh sweet voice...we purged ourselves...we gave our pain wings and we sent it forth...land is found! Land is found...the rain is gone and the world is returning back to the way we remember...or the way we have heard in stories our grandparents have told us...oh we have set forth and found the voice to deliver us...sing my brethren, sing this song...scream the pain away,. revel in the glory...oh what a night! Oh what a night! late September, back in '23, what a very special time for me, Dee surrender, what a night... (showing my age again)

Walsh you gun.
Pitto's two sweet taps at the end...Gawn is gone, Gawn is gone!
Crippa the anvil that takes the hammer time and time again
Weiters the iceberg floating in the oval ocean, clam and very very dangerous.
TDK...oh those moments you forget your height and pretend to be the rover...I love them moments!
Cerra is the heart...Doc is the soul!
Acres...@#$%&! me dead Acres how many times can you save and finish, save and finish! Oh sweetest of trades....
There are so many more...so many moments...we dug so deep the Grand canyon has got nothing on our boys!

Yep I'm still floating except...and the more I watch the more the except grows...I know soon I'll be having nightmares of Acres missing that last shot...cos..well cos the more times I watch it the closer that ball gets to hitting the post!And this except more than anything shows how things have turned around...now I dread the bad thing that didn't happen - for twenty odd @#$%&! years I've been dreading the dreams filled with all the good things that didn't happen.

We are back! We are back!

Go Blues!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:36 am 
John James

camel wrote:
Humpers wrote:
Doesn't matter now but it was silly of Acres to play on and kick the goal. He should have taken 30 seconds off the clock.

Easy to say after the fact I reckon, and you're absolutely right, but the intensity and frenetic nature of the moment was huge and playing on also made total sense. Get the goal/lead first, then worry about keeping it!

I totally back Acres' decision for this reason. He had the open goal in front of him. We were behind. Why put HEAPS more pressure on yourself to nail the goal, kicking over a man on the mark, no matter how close you are to goal? His legs might have been like jelly at this point. Let others worry about running down the clock once you're in front.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:43 am 
John James

jake_h03 wrote:
CK95 wrote:
The 23 semi. Get used to saying it, will become part of Blues vernacular just like the 99 prelim.

More like the 23 raging stiffy amiright?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

:lol:

That's after this week's game.

(If we win the grannie, best we cut the analogy short.)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:29 am 
Wayne Johnston

CK95 wrote:
The 23 semi. Get used to saying it, will become part of Blues vernacular just like the 99 prelim.

Nah, we’ll all forget it after the 23 GF

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:32 am 
Wayne Johnston

Bluey44 wrote:
Managed to watch the game again In full

A lot of talk about the goals the dee's missed...
We had some fluffs too.

Basically the first half was an arm wrestle,
3rd quarter was basically intercept kick to kick.
Last quarter was kick it to Stephen may which was the big difference which nearly cost us the game.

For me the key misses for dee's were fritsch missing around the corner, and the running one where pickett kicked into the post. Some of the commentators were saying he should have passed it.
Gawns fist of Oliver was tragic, but I don't think a single person was expecting Oliver to make the distance

But Charlie also didn't have the gas from a kick around and wheel from 50 which he would usually hit.
And Kemp missed a really good chance out on full which a different player might have nailed.

Anyway it's all academic dee's choked but we made them win it and they couldn't.

Next week we need to sort out the forward structure and movement or we will get found out.

Yeah, I think we’re forgetting that Curnow had two shots on goal that were touched on the line, we’re all disappointed with his game but he could have so easily and three goals.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:34 am 
Bruce Doull

I'm not overly fussed by Charlie's game. We still kicked a winning score with him very well held.

Charlie played his role and made contributions that the coaches will see better than us. Obvs it's awesome if he kicks a bag of goals, and there may be a few tweaks that he and those around him can make to provide more opportunities, but his time will come.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:36 am 
Wayne Johnston

Fenwick Snap wrote:
camel wrote:
Humpers wrote:
Doesn't matter now but it was silly of Acres to play on and kick the goal. He should have taken 30 seconds off the clock.

Easy to say after the fact I reckon, and you're absolutely right, but the intensity and frenetic nature of the moment was huge and playing on also made total sense. Get the goal/lead first, then worry about keeping it!

I totally back Acres' decision for this reason. He had the open goal in front of him. We were behind. Why put HEAPS more pressure on yourself to nail the goal, kicking over a man on the mark, no matter how close you are to goal? His legs might have been like jelly at this point. Let others worry about running down the clock once you're in front.

Agree with this, the momentum from taking the mark had taken him to the top of the goal square and there was no one in front of him. If he went back and kicked over the mark it was further away and on an angle, with much, much more pressure.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:42 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Braithy wrote:
i never thought i'd see anything carlton do, eclipse the 99 prelim.

but the other night, we were dead to rights, and after such a long and painful journey of 23 years, where we came from within the season, the injuries (at one stage only eagles had more injuries - we kept winning) the win streak, the pies, dees, port saints etc all of that.

all the coaches, all the poor culture and weak spirited pea hearts that have soiled the jersey (hello kane lucas) ... and win the way we did. it hasn't been since 1999 that it felt like this old dark navy blue jersey has meant as much to the players, as it does me.

i'll remember that weiters-hollands-doc-acres goal, the final siren and the noise and the song and all the complete strangers hugging it out, i'll remember all of that on my death bed.

sports hey...

Right on!

Sport mimics life and vice versa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:25 am 
Stephen Kernahan

No calls for us to get Choco Williams in to fix our goal kicking?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:31 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

camel wrote:
I'm not overly fussed by Charlie's game. We still kicked a winning score with him very well held.

Charlie played his role and made contributions that the coaches will see better than us. Obvs it's awesome if he kicks a bag of goals, and there may be a few tweaks that he and those around him can make to provide more opportunities, but his time will come.

charlie's effort was (and is) a big worry. he's barely been seen since he got the coleman.

that final lever kick - everyone criticising him for not hugging the boundary tighter. he couldn't. while charlie gave up, hands on hips like he did most of the night; acres, with his one arm charged lever at play on forcing lever to either be smothered or go more central.

i just hate seeing one guy busting his ass, while the other does nothing. i think half a dozen times there was something similar from CC thru that dees game

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:41 am 
Ken Hunter

sinbagger wrote:
Fenwick Snap wrote:
camel wrote:
Humpers wrote:

Agree with this, the momentum from taking the mark had taken him to the top of the goal square and there was no one in front of him. If he went back and kicked over the mark it was further away and on an angle, with much, much more pressure.
He was also due on OOF...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:58 am 
Craig Bradley

camel wrote:

It’s not about how many goals he kicks or doesn’t kick. It’s about not letting your direct opponent continually out mark you in one on one contests

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:57 am 
Rod Ashman

Blue Vain wrote:
No calls for us to get Choco Williams in to fix our goal kicking?

Great call!
I remember early in the season everyone was lauding the Demons accuracy and calling for someone like Choco to come to Carlton (and all the other teams).
Didn’t age so well…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:12 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Braithy wrote:
camel wrote:

charlie's effort was (and is) a big worry. he's barely been seen since he got the coleman.

that final lever kick - everyone criticising him for not hugging the boundary tighter. he couldn't. while charlie gave up, hands on hips like he did most of the night; acres, with his one arm charged lever at play on forcing lever to either be smothered or go more central.

i just hate seeing one guy busting his ass, while the other does nothing. i think half a dozen times there was something similar from CC thru that dees game

I felt the same. So did the people with me at the game. Charlie was a spectator most of the time. Like it was in his head he would lose the contest. 800K and he gives us that?

It was so obvious he wasn't competing. Was he injured? Played like it, or just didnt give it his all. Disappointing.

This week, its a new week and hopefully a new attitude to seek and destroy the Lions.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:13 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

jake_h03 wrote:
camel wrote:

It’s not about how many goals he kicks or doesn’t kick. It’s about not letting your direct opponent continually out mark you in one on one contests

Yep.

He needed to do more when he was watching.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:04 pm 
Serge Silvagni

Charlie draws the heat.

Motlop, Owies & forward running mid-fielders capitalise on the crumbs when he doesn't score himself.

Either way he's instrumental and effective.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:08 pm 
Geoff Southby

Ghost of PrincesPark wrote:
Charlie draws the heat.

Motlop, Owies & forward running mid-fielders capitalise on the crumbs when he doesn't score himself.

Either way he's instrumental and effective.

Thats it Ghost . While Charlie is in the oven copping the heat the others are outside collecting the crumbs .

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:51 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Blue Vain wrote:
missnaut wrote:
Their supporters are so weird.

Their supporters? :lol:
We sat in the Ponsford stand with some Carlton chick screaming at the top of her lungs from the first siren to the last. Absolute @#$%&! fruitcake who diminished the experience for everyone in the bay.

Flashbacks for me today. This same woman was front and centre at training in todays Herald Sun. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:09 pm 
Bruce Doull

Got a link?!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 309 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next