Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:43 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:18 am 
Bob Chitty

bluehammer wrote:
What intent. The lethargic starts are gone (replaced by lethargic 3rd quarters!!) and that first quarter was pure domination and beautiful to watch.

This is the brilliance of Coach Voss. He started with the Parkin game plan and improved it by switching the premiership quarter to the first :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:31 am 
Bruce Doull

Crusader wrote:
verbs wrote:
jake_h03 wrote:
verbs wrote:
If you're as old as me, you will remember in 1995 we had many close wins.

Just saying.

Are you sure about that? I thought we wiped the floor with most teams. I do remember two car crash losses in a row to Sydney and st kilda I think it was, but I’m pretty sure we bossed most games

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Well we absolutely flogged Hawthorn that year. The one point win over West Coast though has always stuck with me.

Close games against Essendon** (8) & Geelong (3)… the Richmond game was within a kick at 3/4 time as well.

Getting a bit off topic but if you get the chance, youtube that Geelong match. Just the first quarter alone, you won't see a better quarter of footy anywhere (both teams). Awesome game.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:36 am 
Geoff Southby

sinbagger wrote:
camel wrote:
We've won 5/12 quarters…

R1 (Richmond) — 25pt win
❌ Q1 -20pts
✅ Q2 +28
❌ Q3 -14
✅ Q4 +40

R2 (Bulldogs) — 12pt win
✅ Q1 +7
✅ Q2 +24
❌ Q3 -13
❌ Q4 -6

R3 (Hawthorn) — 1pt win
✅ Q1 +34
❌ Q2 -4
❌ Q3 -13
❌ Q4 -16

We’re capable of piling on big scores in a quarter, but not yet able to show solid consistency over a full game.

Ladder looks good, but let’s not get carried away just yet.

The return of the premiership quarter!

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:48 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Whilst I appreciate what Camel is saying and agree we still have work to do, quarters won doesn't mean much at the end of the day.
In Bolton's last year, I think we were top 8 based on quarters won a couple of weeks before he got sacked. We'd only won one game to that point.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:50 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Worried about our fitness.
We looked tired in that last quarter. Lifted for the last 10 min.

GC can be taxing condition

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:00 am 
Geoff Southby

I woke up this morning feeling good that we won but more concerned by the way we won.
On one had we are showing really good resilience and defensive capabilities with belief that we can get the job done.
On the other had and in the words of Sam Mitchell we are playing an unsustainable brand of football, which we can see by the quarters we have won. 5/12
As I refuse to watch the game again I'm only going on memory, but these are the things that stood out to me:
- When we were on and scoring we were kicking the ball deep into the 50 (0-30m) from around the 50-65m zone.
- The Hawks noted this and loaded up that area so we couldn't hit a target and rather than having patience to chip around to find one, we just bombed it long for a shallow entry and it rebounded straight back out.
- Our small forwards were not at the feet of the talls for the rebound entires because most of the time they were still in the defence/middle which is good to stop the scoring, but it came at a cost of no scoring for us also.
- The amount of times their players and the same Hawk players easily fended of our players was embarrassing, surely we train for this.
- Our fending in return is only done by a couple, Cripps and Cerra. This is something we need to bring into our game.
- I also noticed that when they got the turnover they spread and opened up the ground with plenty of targets going forward.
- When we got the turnover the players forward of the ball looked like witches hats, I assume this was because they were all gassed.

In order to combat some of the above we really need to work on hitting targets, clean pick ups, smart spreading on turnover so we don't get too gassed, tackling when being fended off and fending off players.

There was a lot to learn in the sustainable way they played, if we could bring some of that to reduce the fatigue as well as periods of our burst play for 4 quarters...............#17.

The other promising part of yesterday was the 2's wining comfortably, it shows we have some good depth and pressure on the seniors.

There is a lot to work on but we also have a good foundation and the right head space amongst the players.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:05 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

buzzaaaah wrote:
Worried about our fitness.
We looked tired in that last quarter. Lifted for the last 10 min.

GC can be taxing condition

Interesting. I'm confused too.

We looked like we stopped running 10 minutes into the 3rd, and didn't pick up pace for the rest of the game. After the Hawks hit the front :sad: I did notice a sense of urgency, but not pace.

If not for the amazing efforts of very few, such as SOS, Hewett, Weiters and Doch, there's no way we would've won imo.

Where were the fit wingmen? The running machines? Walsh was still motoring on, but he needed a partner to link up with. Cripps was spent and fumbly.

We ran out the game in round 1 with a 7 goal 5 behinds blitz, and we were thinking Russell has these guys primed to outlast the opposition.

Last week the Bulldogs kicked 2 goals 7 behinds in the last quarter with Charlie standing up to kick a couple mercurial goals in the last to get us a win.

Next weekend, like it or not, it will be humid and slippery playing a Twilight Game on their soil. Will the Blues make the distance, or are they tiring by the week?

Last edited by bondiblue on Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:07 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Don't know why LOB and Fisher didn't take those shots from 30-35 out of goal...and kill a few minutes on the clock. Really says a lot about the (lack of) maturity and game sense of these 2 players. Nearly cost us the game.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:09 am 
Bruce Doull

Can't argue with any of that Sidefx.

I'll watch it again but only on Kayo minis :grin:

As noted elsewhere I think we really missed Mcgovern. He's the closest we've got to CJ for them. Gov would have got us moving & positioning upfield & he knows how to work the angles to create. Plowman & Young (who was solid) just don't really give you that drive.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:09 am 
Rod Ashman

I still think we are a 6-10 team but we’ve started amazingly well and won three games we could have lost, and in past years would have.
I do believe we are at the top end of that range but there are a few others around our level and I don’t yet trust that we are as good as some are saying.
Great start which should build belief. I think we will learn a lot from yesterday which will hold us in good stead as we continue to build.
From here, we should make finals but still a lot of work to do.
But geez it is fantastic to start the week with a win-grin, and to end the week expecting to win…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:15 am 
Bruce Doull

it's fantastic also that Pies Tiges Bombers all lost :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:45 am 
Craig Bradley

A few arsey goals to Hawthorn helped them as well.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:55 am 
Bruce Doull

Sidefx wrote:
- The amount of times their players and the same Hawk players easily fended of our players was embarrassing, surely we train for this.

Noticed this as well and it invariably led to the Hawks whisking the ball away and generating an overlap, as though the Carlton players up the ground had relaxed a bit expecting the tackle to stick before being caught flat footed when it didn't.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:55 am 
Bruce Doull

rhino27 wrote:
Whilst I appreciate what Camel is saying and agree we still have work to do, quarters won doesn't mean much at the end of the day.
In Bolton's last year, I think we were top 8 based on quarters won a couple of weeks before he got sacked. We'd only won one game to that point.

Yeah, I agree it's a very basic metric, and being 3-0 is definitely better than winning a majority of quarters. The point is though, to not get carried away with the win and to understand improvement is required.

We've set ourselves up for the rest of the season very well and the next few games present an opportunity to further establish ourselves.

But let's not think the Suns, or anyone, are going to be easy beats. Not while we're dishing up inconsistent efforts across four quarters.

Thankfully, Voss seems to be making the right sounds. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:01 am 
Bob Chitty

kezza wrote:
My son took me to see Hamilton today so I missed the whole game.
Saw the quarter time score and then when the game had finished.
I think it was probably a good thing I didn't go, sounded like it was a pretty tense final quarter.
I am watching the replay now.
Here we are with a 3-0 start, who would have thought.

P.S
Hamilton was fantastic.

Thought Hamilton went OK in the 2s , but not fantastic....Oh, you meant the other Hamilton ... :wink: :thanks: I'm here all week, try the veal.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:20 am 
Horrie Clover

Went to the game and very happy to come away with the win. Sure beats the alternative. Lots to work on and learn from and that is great. There will be no complacency especially with Voss at the helm. Would have liked to see our forwards spread more and thus spread the Hawks defence. They all led to the one spot and competed against each other in the marking contests. So predictable. Made it so easy for the Hawks to defend. Hawks just crumbed the spoils and off they went.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:40 am 
Harry Vallence

ianh wrote:
kezza wrote:
My son took me to see Hamilton today so I missed the whole game.
Saw the quarter time score and then when the game had finished.
I think it was probably a good thing I didn't go, sounded like it was a pretty tense final quarter.
I am watching the replay now.
Here we are with a 3-0 start, who would have thought.

P.S
Hamilton was fantastic.

Thought Hamilton went OK in the 2s , but not fantastic....Oh, you meant the other Hamilton ... :wink: :thanks: I'm here all week, try the veal.

ianh - are you visiting Hamilton or living there? I lived there from from 1956 to 1967 (age 7 to 18). Went to Monivae College and played footy for Hamilton Imperials under Bob Johnson when I was a teenager. Had to go to Melbourne to get a job when I left school.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:33 pm 
Craig Bradley

Crusader wrote:
verbs wrote:
jake_h03 wrote:
verbs wrote:
If you're as old as me, you will remember in 1995 we had many close wins.

Just saying.

Are you sure about that? I thought we wiped the floor with most teams. I do remember two car crash losses in a row to Sydney and st kilda I think it was, but I’m pretty sure we bossed most games

Well we absolutely flogged Hawthorn that year. The one point win over West Coast though has always stuck with me.

Close games against Essendon** (8) & Geelong (3)… the Richmond game was within a kick at 3/4 time as well.

So 3 close games. That’s not many in a whole season of footy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:32 pm 
Bruce Doull

plus the two wins over Brisbane = 5

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:48 pm 
Geoff Southby

CK95 wrote:
Can't argue with any of that Sidefx.

I'll watch it again but only on Kayo minis :grin:

As noted elsewhere I think we really missed Mcgovern. He's the closest we've got to CJ for them. Gov would have got us moving & positioning upfield & he knows how to work the angles to create. Plowman & Young (who was solid) just don't really give you that drive.

Spot on. How we fix this will be interesting.

Good luck with the mini. :thumbsup:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next