Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:53 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:49 am 
Laurie Kerr

Cazzesman wrote:
Kudos to O’Brien for 25 possessions. A lot to build on from there.

Regards Cazzesman

As a long time reader of this forum I had to triple check the name on your post on LOB last week because I’ve never seen you unload on a player like that before.

Not that I disagreed with anything you said. I was at the game as I walked home with my dad and my brother I said I didn’t want to see him pull on the jumper again. He was beyond terrible.

This week was a big improvement, so credit to him and the coaching staff for persevering.

There were still some poor moments - that play for head high contact chief among them - but he got finally got involved and showed a few more of his weapons. If he can keep the trajectory then may just save his career.

Loving this new look Carlton. Sky is the flowering limit.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:02 am 
Bruce Doull

What a huge win.

This side is unrecognisable.

For all the talk of the bulldogs stepping up and dominating the second half blah blah they scored 45 in both halves.

We set that win up with an incredible first half and impressively finished the game out.

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:07 am 
Robert Walls

grrofunger wrote:
What a huge win.

This side is unrecognisable.

For all the talk of the bulldogs stepping up and dominating the second half blah blah they scored 45 in both halves.

We set that win up with an incredible first half and impressively finished the game out.

Yep, I have to agree.

I would much rather defending front the front than trying to come from behind.

The first half was amazing and so enjoyable.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:12 am 
Craig Bradley

Pros:

Accuracy, ball movement and ability to tough it out in the 2nd half when the opposition got on top.
Really like how we've always got a player behind the stoppages to feed the ball back to.
Cripps and Pittonet were excellent. Hewett not far behind. Kennedy also very good.
Delighted to see both Harry and Charlie. Can't have played all that often together. Thought Owies was very good as well.
Fantastic 1st half from De Koning. Best game I reckon he's played at this level.
Setterfield was good again, and O'Brien much better.
Thought Williams' disposal was outstanding.

Cons:

Out tackled.
McDonald was sloppy with the ball.
Weiters spoilt well, but we still haven't seen the best of him yet this year.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:22 am 
Geoff Southby

wasthesonofapreacherman wrote:
Can’t fault Fog’s effort but we broke down at half forward early trying to kick to him and several times throughout the game. He’s too weak overhead. That was a huge loss over Martin.

Some of those misses late were from fatigue and scoreboard pressure. We worked very hard to make both a reality.

The dogs threw everything at us and we were just too good over 4 quarters. That is a huge win. Make no bones about it.

O’Brien had a lot of good moments and easily played his best game. He’ll have to build on that to not come under pressure in the coming weeks.

Thing is with LOB is we don’t have much else of what he offers on the list. Cottrell has the running capacity but less footy smarts and way less skill, LOB just needs to keep working on the physical stuff and he showed very good signs tonight.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:31 am 
formerly King Kenny

Adam Chatfield wrote:
wasthesonofapreacherman wrote:
Can’t fault Fog’s effort but we broke down at half forward early trying to kick to him and several times throughout the game. He’s too weak overhead. That was a huge loss over Martin.

Some of those misses late were from fatigue and scoreboard pressure. We worked very hard to make both a reality.

The dogs threw everything at us and we were just too good over 4 quarters. That is a huge win. Make no bones about it.

O’Brien had a lot of good moments and easily played his best game. He’ll have to build on that to not come under pressure in the coming weeks.

Thing is with LOB is we don’t have much else of what he offers on the list. Cottrell has the running capacity but less footy smarts and way less skill, LOB just needs to keep working on the physical stuff and he showed very good signs tonight.

His best game I’ve seen. LOB!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:52 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Only credited with 39 tackles - I felt like I yelled BALL about 100

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:09 am 
Rod Ashman

Heavs wrote:
Is that corral then tackle on filthy ginger Richards the play that will make #4 believe he belongs? Clearly his best single 'play' for our club.

Then he went and undid it all by kicking the ball out on the full

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:41 am 
Craig Bradley

The first half was the best we've played in a while...

But you just knew last years grand finalists were going to make a move in the second half, and they did.
Our lack of composure in the last qtr was probably the only thing I was disappointed with. The pressure turnovers I get... it's the 'percieved' ones we need to get better at. We gave them the ball back way too cheaply at times (Saad, LOB, Doc etc) when some temp footy would've been handy.

But we're 2-0 baby...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:44 am 
Harry Vallence

Very happy after 2 rounds. To beat both Richmond & Dogs is a great effort. I still see lots of improvement to come as well. It will take time for us to trust this structure and find composure over 4 quarters but the signs are good.

Games by Curnow & LOB show why I never write off players. Things can change

Cerra will make a difference as will Martin. After two rounds couldn't be happier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:49 am 
Ken Hunter

Very happy. That first half - wow! Then Bullies came but we kept answering. This side feels different. More steel? And belief must be rising.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:54 am 
Harry Vallence

79Vintage wrote:
A phrase I think we should adhere to as supporters -

A champion team beats a team of champions.

Voss has come to our club and given every player a clean slate.

What I mean by using this phrase, is that we don't have 22 Paddy Cripps or Sam Walsh's, but we have 22 players who play to their ability every week, creating a certain chemistry. If we turn C Grade players into B grade players, we will achieve our ambitions.

Well said

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:58 am 
Craig Bradley

A 100 percent behind Rick J good to hear from you Rick and don’t work in the city any more but went on the walk to the G last week Rick for the start of the season
Back to footy our stars are playing well but our B and C graders are certainly making a strong contribution and buying into a team plan more than they have for the last 10 years
OBrien and Setterfield are go examples of that
If you haven’t seen it go into Ash Hansen’s press conference absolutely brilliant measured articulate smart and very capable

Getting him was a great coup and Obviously has a large say in tactics

Also what a transformation under Sayers

Better on and off the field and thus far how good was Sayers decisive intervention last year and the hand wringing extravaganza of September and October about those decisions by the press were just that
Go Blues

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:11 am 
Rod Ashman

Teddy Hopkins wrote:
camel wrote:
jake_h03 wrote:
camel wrote:
2-zip. I like! But…

A god awful last quarter.

And an excellent learning opportunity for us, let's hope we use it wisely.

Winning games we should have lost is much better than losing games we should have won.

Wouldn’t say that’s a game we should have lost…

Yeah, don't want to gloss over the excellent things from tonight, but equally, I don't think we should gloss over conceding the 6 of the last 7 scoring shots, or barely being able to get the ball out of our D50.

And the two times late in the game we did get it forward they strolled out of D50 from a behind with zero pressure or Tim English mopped up the crumbs. Not really ideal.

We got the win but we gave them too many opportunities to take that away from us. And from my seat on the couch we looked panicked at times, not showing the required composure. I reckon Vossy will have noticed that from his couch too and, thankfully, I think he'll be far better equipped than me to find the lessons from that and he will use those lessons to help make us better.

Yep.

Doggies got into the game because they changed their style of game. They had a plan B and it would have worked if they had kicked straight.

We need a plan B in these types of situations.

I do not believe they implemented a plan B. Their midfield group just applied more pressure to whomever had the ball causing turnovers. They still used the quick handballs to get out of congestion as they have been doing for years. They just adjusted to the game and what we were doing to get the advantage which is what all teams do. No team has a plan B. That's a furphy.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:18 am 
Rod Ashman

Very happy with the win but must admit I left the room for a minute after LOB kicked it out on the full. The lack of composure from the backline was palpable even through the TV. Good learning experience though. It was good to see us slow the game down when the dogs were coming at us. Our maturity and understanding of what is required is growing.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:19 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Interesting expected scores from Champion Data

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:28 am 
John James

carntheblues wrote:
Very happy with the win but must admit I left the room for a minute after LOB kicked it out on the full. The lack of composure from the backline was palpable even through the TV. Good learning experience though. It was good to see us slow the game down when the dogs were coming at us. Our maturity and understanding of what is required is growing.

Yes, that kick was a heart-in-the-mouth stuff. He buttered up and worked hard. Liking the coaching and leadership on dispaly.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:31 am 
Rod Ashman

I thought in the second half in particular our midfield made one handball too many and as a result the kick became ineffective if we got it away at all.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:35 am 
Bruce Doull

CK95 wrote:
Hansen said in his presser Omac just had a back spasm

Last qtr tape will get watched quite a lot at the club this week I'd say, especially that awful 5 min when we just couldn't clear it.

But overall we were the better side & deserved the win. That first half was serious quality footy. Our centre square work has taken unbelievable strides since the regime change :clap:

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:38 am 
Bob Chitty

Very pleased with the win and start to the season. Didn’t think we’d knock off the Tigers and Dogs in the first two rounds.

Midfield is one of the key differences to last year. Cripps playing like it’s 2018. Hewett was great last night - tough and composed. Kennedy has stepped up. Walsh back in the mix last night and solid first up. Cerra to return. We’ve gone from a shallow midfield to a quality midfield.

Other key difference is the pressure. Brought it for 4 quarters. Put the dogs under significant heat, even when the skill errors were piling up in the last quarter.

Finally gets to see Charlie and H dominate a game. Great to see.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next