Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:37 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:10 pm 
Harry Vallence

That other ex bulldog we just picked up better get
cracking in the pre season. His chance looks to have come early.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:17 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Difficult and complex situation. If I’m brutally honest and from a footballing and supporters point of view, this has me very unhappy. Hopefully the situation can get resolved without negatively impacting our 2022 season.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:50 pm 
Geoff Southby

Given it has reached this point, I’m not holding on to any hope that Jones will change his mind. It’s hard for me to understand his position but I accept it’s a complex issue for some people. He must feel very strongly about it to walk away from such a well paying job and knowing his decision will create barriers for himself in his life away from footy.

I don’t harbour any ill will towards him. It’s just very disappointing as a Carlton supporter.

It would be nice if the AFL gave us some sort of free hit (eg. compensation pick or priority access to a mature age player who has nominated for the draft), but I’m not holding my breath….

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:55 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

aboynamedsue wrote:
Given it has reached this point, I’m not holding on to any hope that Jones will change his mind. It’s hard for me to understand his position but I accept it’s a complex issue for some people. He must feel very strongly about it to walk away from such a well paying job and knowing his decision will create barriers for himself in his life away from footy.

I don’t harbour any ill will towards him. It’s just very disappointing as a Carlton supporter.

It would be nice if the AFL gave us some sort of free hit (eg. compensation pick or priority access to a mature age player who has nominated for the draft), but I’m not holding my breath….
Makes sense, they introduced these rules, not the clubs fault this individual has made this decision.

If he doesn't change his mind he's forever tarnished.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:37 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

aboynamedsue wrote:

This would only apply if you did have injections.

:roll:

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:06 am 
John Nicholls

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:23 am 
Harry Vallence

What makes this worse is that our vice captain is severely immunocompronised right now with his cancer treatment. With the data showing that vaccination reduces (not eliminates) transmission, having an unvaccinated player (and a senior one who would have a role in the leadership meetings) interacting with another player who is recovering from cancer treatment is dangerous and completely irresponsible.

By all reports, Doc is a very popular member of the squad and I would say there'd be a number of players incredibly pissed off at Jones. This has potential to really create disharmony in the dressing room.

IMO, this means there are only two options here: he does a backflip and reluctantly takes the jab, or the club terminates his contract. The inactive list option isn't suitable given the situation with Doc, it would send a very bad message.

This is a real line in the sand moment for the club.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:19 am 
Robert Walls

Alex Rance, anyone?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:42 am 
Rod Ashman

I fully support Liam Jones. A person has a right to their bodily integrity.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:44 am 
Stephen Kernahan

I agree. I support him too. He can make that choice.

Unfortunately his choice means he can't play in the AFL at this point.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:06 pm 
Robert Walls

aboynamedsue wrote:

I totally agree with your sentiments, but I believe there may still be a slight chance he will come around. Once the reality of losing his job and livelihood are staring him in the face, it may just change his mind.

V8 Supercars driver David Reynolds was a massively vocal anti-vaxxer and was dead against the mandatory vaccination policy implemented by the Supercars' governing body with the belief that they would eventually back down and allow him to race. When it became clear that he would not be allowed to race and would effectively lose his contract, he quickly took his first dose.

Either way, I hold no ill-feeling towards Jones if he feels so strongly about it that he is willing to throw the rest of his career out the window. It just means that Marchbank and Young will have to step up a couple of years earlier than expected.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:50 pm 
Bruce Comben

First Post Been an avid reader of TBV and TC for many years but whilst i enjoyed the comments never found the need to comment

However I was disappointed at some postes whose initial knee jerk reaction seems to be "get rid of him' "can we get another player in the draft' :delist him: and call him tarnished

The guy has put his body on the line every week and based on the way we have been playing over the last couple of years that couldn't have been easy There is no suggestion he is an Anti vaxxer and maybe just maybe he has some concerns over family medical history or some other external issue We were all very quick to condemn the Essendon* players for letting a substance into their arm without any them asking any questions at least Liam is considering what he wants to put into his body

I am neither pro or anti vax But this is one of our own and he deserves some respect

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:52 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Seems to me that not getting the jab would be the play for a player who is almost certainly going to get delisted. Get your name up in lights, run a bit of a gofundme grift because "i lost my career". Reckon there is a good half million in it.

Left wing moralists
In self serving denial
They shit me no end

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:14 pm 
Bruce Doull

bondiblue wrote:
kingkerna wrote:
I think as supporters we're entitled to be angry and disappointed about this.

His team mates even moreso

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Yep.

I'm bloody annoyed at any anti vaxer TBH.

I hope Liam realises the earth is not flat, and changes his mind before cut off date.

If not, NEXT

Dude, I'm due for my booster shot, leave me out of it. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:05 pm 
Bruce Doull

macca wrote:
First Post Been an avid reader of TBV and TC for many years but whilst i enjoyed the comments never found the need to comment

However I was disappointed at some postes whose initial knee jerk reaction seems to be "get rid of him' "can we get another player in the draft' :delist him: and call him tarnished

The guy has put his body on the line every week and based on the way we have been playing over the last couple of years that couldn't have been easy There is no suggestion he is an Anti vaxxer and maybe just maybe he has some concerns over family medical history or some other external issue We were all very quick to condemn the Essendon** players for letting a substance into their arm without any them asking any questions at least Liam is considering what he wants to put into his body

I am neither pro or anti vax But this is one of our own and he deserves some respect

Understand the sentiment.
At the end of the day he's a 30 year old adult who has made his decision for his own reasons and that's fine, I support his right to choose. However, as a supporter of the Carlton Football Club I don't want the club to be disadvantaged because of his choice.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:52 pm 
Craig Bradley

He can make his own decision don’t agree with it but would be very disappointed if he left the game in this way and caused this problem for us

As for the Pooper :mad: Carlton should say to him you are banned from talking to any of your players and staff as you don’t believe in basic privacy issues

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:59 pm 
formerly Yazzamatazz

macca wrote:

The guy has put his body on the line every week and based on the way we have been playing over the last couple of years that couldn't have been easy There is no suggestion he is an Anti vaxxer and maybe just maybe he has some concerns over family medical history or some other external issue We were all very quick to condemn the Essendon** players for letting a substance into their arm without any them asking any questions at least Liam is considering what he wants to put into his body

Well said.

Too many people have become selfish vaccinazzis.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:31 pm 
Geoff Southby

I’m not seeing much anti-Jones sentiment at all. Just a lot of pro-Carlton.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:08 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I think the way out of this and for Liam to come out without people labelling him a loon or tin foil hat brigade (not pointing fingers at anyone here, but it will be there nonetheless) and maybe the way to convince him, is to get Doc involved. Yes he has his own battle on his hands and doesn't need this shit, and who knows it's probably already happened, but perhaps a call from Docherty to Jones saying listen mate, you're more likely to get this thing and bring it into the club. When I come back I want to be around the boys and I want you to be part of it, but at the moment you are too big a risk to me. Maybe this approach could convince him to get it. And then Liam can come out and say, whilst I don't agree with being forced to take something by the government and the AFL, I have chosen to get it because I don't want to pass it on to my mate.

He gets it and it's his choice to do so. He gets to say why he was hesitant. He doesn't get it because of the money. And more importantly, he isn't going to cop the bullshit that he will no doubt cop if he backflips now.

I really just wish he'd get the @#$%&! thing and we can get on with pre-season without distraction and the media circus that will be ongoing for who knows how long

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:54 pm 
Harry Vallence

Liam, yes it's your decision but you only get one go at this. Over the years a lot of players have screwed up their careers for one reason or another and if they had their time over again they'd choose the other option.
Don't wake up one morning with regret thinking "If only I'd ........". It's then too late and you'll die wondering.
Good luck.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next