Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:44 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 583 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 30  Next
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:51 pm 
Ken Hunter

bondiblue wrote:
SOS looked like he was having a ball tonight.

Making calls.
Pushing for Academy/ Development players.
Plenty of debate amongst the selection committee

Forcing GWS and Freo to use up picks, making our latter pick more valuable for us.

Getting us 2 First rounders for one, to bolster the midfield with more class.

He knows he's got Martin in the bag this Friday. End of story

You bet. If the draft picks come on, it will be a special night in our clubs history.
Hope we can change his mind.......

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:17 pm 
Craig Bradley

It says so much for the AFL commentators analysis that what SOS did is “shocking”. FFS, you’ve got to force clubs to use pics. That we were the only ones bidding says a lot for the other recruiters. Melbourne could have screwed GWS with Green. But bag, let’s pick who Twomey said we should.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:16 pm 
Craig Bradley

Walsh wrote:
MarkNo3 wrote:
Unless I'm mistaken but sos turned this years first round pick into 3 first round pick and yet people still want his head fmd

I know right

Stocker, Kemp and Philp for Fischer McAsey.

I think he should stop reaming Adelaide so savagely unless he enjoys it.

Stocker, Kemp & Philp for;

Ash, or Dylan Stephens, or McAsey, or Young, or Serong, or Flanders, or Stocker & Flanders, or Pickett, or Stocker & Pickett, or Day, or Stocker & Day, or Bergman, or Stocker & Bergman, or Weightman, or Stocker & Weightman, or Cooper Stephens, or Stocker & Cooper Stephens.

Awful lot of unknown variables to tick off, but buy all means, deify the bloke.

It’s an exceptional paper trade, but our side might’ve gone pretty good with one of the best five talents.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:27 pm 
Craig Bradley

I loved what he did tonight. Again found a way to give us an extra 1st rounder. Once Young, Stephens and Serong went early, and there was a good chance of picking up Kemp later on. Thought he might trade down. And loved how he gave himself maximum time to find the best deal, by bidding on the academy kids. Philp was basically a free pick. Like his pace. Not sure about his skills though.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:33 pm 
Bruce Doull

Where's that Cup...!

kindest regards tommi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:14 am 
Bruce Doull

Two "FAILED" bids is the narrative right now.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:36 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

bondiblue wrote:
SOS looked like he was having a ball tonight.

Making calls.
Pushing for Academy/ Development players.
Plenty of debate amongst the selection committee

Forcing GWS and Freo to use up picks, making our latter pick more valuable for us.

Getting us 2 First rounders for one, to bolster the midfield with more class.

He knows he's got Martin in the bag this Friday. End of story

It was our turn to be the Democrats in the senate. Love it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:11 am 
Rod Ashman

Donstuie wrote:

If SOS expected either to succeed then yes it is a fail. If they were purely used to gain more time while they searched for the best deal to trade the pick then they were a success.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:23 am 
Bruce Doull

Crusader wrote:
Walsh wrote:
MarkNo3 wrote:
Unless I'm mistaken but sos turned this years first round pick into 3 first round pick and yet people still want his head fmd

I know right

Ash, or Dylan Stephens, or McAsey, or Young, or Serong, or Flanders, or Stocker & Flanders, or Pickett, or Stocker & Pickett, or Day, or Stocker & Day, or Bergman, or Stocker & Bergman, or Weightman, or Stocker & Weightman, or Cooper Stephens, or Stocker & Cooper Stephens.

It’s an exceptional paper trade, but our side might’ve gone pretty good with one of the best five talents.

Names aside, turning one first rounder, into three is, on paper a great deal. I think most will agree. Similarly, most will agree we won't really know until we can hindsight draft in a few years time.

Would we be happy to miss out on a Cripps-like once-in-a-generation player for a few very good, but not upper elite, players?

Who knows, maybe we've got three players who at the end of their careers will sit among the Bradley, Ratts and Kouta-like level. :smoking:

Or maybe we've got three players at the Bower, Russell and Jaksch-like level. :yikes:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:29 am 
Stephen Kernahan

I'm a huge fan of SOS and what he has achieved but last night further reinforced what I thought last year. It's a one man show and the rest of the people sitting at the table are spectators.
I believe SOS does the negotiation, he makes the calls on the players and he does the selecting. I don't think that's healthy situation for the club and I suspect that's the angst between SOS and Liddle.

I love his ability to gain better value for picks but I'm still not sold on his player choices. I have battles with Keogh over SOS but he is correct about our ability to choose players with later picks and decisions like Philp baffle me a bit.
Yes he knuckled down and had some good performances after missing selection for the championships but it's easier getting BOG's in the NAB league when the best players are not there. I hope I'm wrong but it's too much of a speculator to take him first round IMHO.

He has set us up well and I wish him luck but I'm happy enough to see what the other people in the football department are capable of.
I know people are speculating about Kinnear Beatson but Simon Dalrymple is the person I'd be chasing.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:44 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Crusader wrote:
Walsh wrote:
MarkNo3 wrote:

I know right

Possibly.

Good point re other possibles with pick 4 if we hadn't swapped it with Crows

The point really is related to the outcome from the pick swap with Adelaide. It isn't a disaster.

At the end of the night, it turns out, logically speaking, McAsey or Stocker Kemp Philp.

I wouldn't surprised if Kemp matches the output of either of the top 2 picks of this draft.

Time will tell. The word you use sums up the situation..."might've"...this...or might of that.

.....nothing to do with your accusations of worshipping. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:48 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

carntheblues wrote:
Donstuie wrote:

If SOS expected either to succeed then yes it is a fail. If they were purely used to gain more time while they searched for the best deal to trade the pick then they were a success.

Can't be a fail.
The GWS and Freo had them in the bag...SOS just asked.

If you don't ask, you don't get.

Cleared out all those latter picks GWS and Freo had to use to match the bid, which would have been used before our next pick. I like that.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:49 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

carntheblues wrote:
Donstuie wrote:

Another good point of view.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:52 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Vain wrote:
I'm a huge fan of SOS and what he has achieved but last night further reinforced what I thought last year. It's a one man show and the rest of the people sitting at the table are spectators.
I believe SOS does the negotiation, he makes the calls on the players and he does the selecting. I don't think that's healthy situation for the club and I suspect that's the angst between SOS and Liddle.

I love his ability to gain better value for picks but I'm still not sold on his player choices. I have battles with Keogh over SOS but he is correct about our ability to choose players with later picks and decisions like Philp baffle me a bit.
Yes he knuckled down and had some good performances after missing selection for the championships but it's easier getting BOG's in the NAB league when the best players are not there. I hope I'm wrong but it's too much of a speculator to take him first round IMHO.

He has set us up well and I wish him luck but I'm happy enough to see what the other people in the football department are capable of.
I know people are speculating about Kinnear Beatson but Simon Dalrymple is the person I'd be chasing.

I think you are speculating, unless you can lip read. I saw a lot of the people on the table talking when the cameras were on them, even Teague.

We have a need for speed, and Philps has that. Lets hope he works out. I'm glad to hear he worked hard after being unlucky to be overlooked, and made an impression.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:02 am 
Rod Ashman

Would have been happy with Henry or Green if either baulked. Worth a shoy.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:04 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Crusader wrote:
If barass says so :donk:

Yep.
He also said the Papley deal was done and dusted.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:10 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Not sure if this is elsewhere but going back to the Adelaide swap, does anybody actually know what happened now the dust has settled?

We lost 4 and what else?
We got Stocker, Kemp and Philps and what else?
Are there still picks remaining?

Or am I completely lost?

If the above is true, I would say that's a pretty good haul.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:34 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Vain wrote:

I will be the first to admit that I wouldn't know one kid in the draft capabilities
I liked his strategy turning pick 4 into 3 picks in the top 20 and improving our back end picks by match bidding
However drafting a bloke with an ACL and another kid who looks like a skinny whippett I question

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:08 am 
Rod Ashman

Blue Sombrero wrote:
Crusader wrote:
If barass says so :donk:

Yep.
He also said the Papley deal was done and dusted.

Is the Jack Martin deal done and dusted?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:45 am 
Rod Ashman

SOS is way ahead of the other recruiters as far as tactics on draft night. I hope he stays. We need him. Kemp and Philp look great gets.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 583 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 30  Next