Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:20 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 583 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:41 am 
Stephen Kernahan

ColourMan wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Crusader wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Can jump can mark can sprint can hurt

Nice role player, but no he @#$%&! can’t.

Get real mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Out of order with that comment Cru.

You should have seen the form he bought in the final rounds after the club got him fit.

You should get out more and watch Carlton. Things have changed for the club and the player.

You can't be serious, I was at the last 3 games (Tigers & saints at the G, Geelong at Kardinia Park) when the club got him "fit"... were you?

He averaged 10 possessions in those 3 games, which is his career average... what was even more alarming, he still needed to visit the interchange bench 5 times a game for the those games for those 10 possessions!!!!!!!! We were counting, with others who post here...

It can't be because of all his running or giving anyone a spell in the midfield, maybe he was just hungry! :lol:

He averaged just under 75 % TOG, while Crippa averaged just over 90 % TOG...

Yep, so far worth every cent of the $700K and what we gave up for him...

I'm not sold on him.
On the one side, not everybody gets 20 possies a game but can still impact games. Having said that, the thing that worried me was the day he took a bit of a hit in the side and went down to the rooms, only returning to the game much later and almost under pressure from the coach.
OK, it might have been in the kidney or it might not. Maybe he was worried it was his back again but it left me wondering if he is a bit soft.
I'd like to revisit this after he has had a full pre-season with us and a full season on top of it.
If Silvagni continues to improve, he might offer a more complete package without the occasional speccy.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:29 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

ColourMan wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Crusader wrote:
bondiblue wrote:

Get real mate.

You should have seen the form he bought in the final rounds after the club got him fit.

You should get out more and watch Carlton. Things have changed for the club and the player.

You can't be serious, I was at the last 3 games (Tigers & saints at the G, Geelong at Kardinia Park) when the club got him "fit"... were you?

He averaged 10 possessions in those 3 games, which is his career average... what was even more alarming, he still needed to visit the interchange bench 5 times a game for the those games for those 10 possessions!!!!!!!! We were counting, with others who post here...

It can't be because of all his running or giving anyone a spell in the midfield, maybe he was just hungry! :lol:

Fair enough.

All I said was that:

* he can jump: which he can, and won 2 games after the siren for Crows as a 20 and 21yo, and that jump when he touched a kick that was going through the goal was amazing.

* he can sprint: he was clocked as the quickest player on the list in game time

* he can hit hard: he laid a lot of hits and protected our small players in the forward line when they were brushed aside and hit, something we have wanted to see for the last 10 years.

I wasn't wrong on any point.

I understand where you are coming from: Mitch hasn't shown $700K of value thus far, hence, SOS overpaid. Faor enough. Can't argue with that.

As I said, I only responded to your sarcasm in your comment "are you for real" when I was, and imo justifiably so. My point has been all along the club has to be held acccountable, and to a lesser degree Mitch. Mitch wasn't fit enough to play but was elected to play for various reasons when he shouldn't. Teague dropped him and sent him to Russell to get him match fit. He came back in fantastic condition.

I think what we have amassed with SOS is 3 very athletic tall targets who can mark and kick goals (when fit): McKay, Curnow and McGovern. These 3, when over ther injury concerns and match fit will create huge head aches for the opposition. They can spread the load, play the decoy etc and will only need 15 possessions each to kick 10 goals a game. That's the theory, and I like it. The jury is out because the 3 of them have not taken the field when all 3 are fit and firing. I hope they do, and if they do they are worth every cent imo.

Until they all fire, I agree the jury is still out as to their perceived value, and completely understand the points you and Blue Sobrero make. I know BS cuts players a bit of slack, but he makes a good point, albeit different to yours.

AS for how many times he is rotated from the forward line to the bench, until we find out why from the coach its pure speculation. On that point, expect a lot of rotations and multi positional players in 2020 in the midfield and forwardline, moreso than the backline, and that will be a weapon for us. Keep the opposition guessing and worrying about us.

High risk, high reward. Fingers crossed...for real.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:31 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Sombrero wrote:
ColourMan wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Crusader wrote:
bondiblue wrote:

Get real mate.

I'm not sold on him.
On the one side, not everybody gets 20 possies a game but can still impact games. Having said that, the thing that worried me was the day he took a bit of a hit in the side and went down to the rooms, only returning to the game much later and almost under pressure from the coach.
OK, it might have been in the kidney or it might not. Maybe he was worried it was his back again but it left me wondering if he is a bit soft.
I'd like to revisit this after he has had a full pre-season with us and a full season on top of it.
If Silvagni continues to improve, he might offer a more complete package without the occasional speccy.

Question for Cru and BS: Is McGovern in your best 22?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:20 am 
Bruce Comben

SOS has done an average job with the list rebuild to be honest.

The jury is still out on several highly drafted players like Fisher, Cunningham and SPS. I think Harry has under performed but taller players do take longer to develop.

Outside of the first 2 round selections, he has failed to pick up any decent players late in the draft. This is a major concern for me as the top clubs seem to find a gem or 3 late on the draft or via rookie draft and he has failed to find any in 5 attempts at it. I cannot name one player outside pick 30 who looks promising. So this makes me doubt the kids he selected with the early draft picks.

When SOS sold the rebuild to the board his plan was to hit the draft for the 3 years and in 2018 and 19 top up with free agents and sky rocket up the ladder in 2020.... he failed miserably and this has set back any chance of us playing finals in 2020.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:22 am 
John Nicholls

Tom Williamson looks pretty promising at pick 61.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:35 am 
Geoff Southby

So being closer to Christmas and things are slowing down I thought I'd have a crack at the points value of the Mitch Trade.

The trade:
“The Crows receive pick No. 13, a future fifth-round selection from Carlton and highly-rated Sturt forward Shane McAdam, who the Blues were able to claim as one of their mature-aged pre-draft access picks.
“Carlton gains McGovern and a future third-round selection from Adelaide, while Sydney receives selections No. 26 and 28 from the Blues as well as No. 40 from the Crows.”

Actual trade and final pick value used:
Crows:
Pick 16-1280
Pick 65-298 (traded to GWS but you could also value it at 0 as they only used 1 pick in round 5 in the end)
Shane Mc Adam, pick 45-565 (appx value based on Krueger trade to Geelong for pick 43)
Less
Mitch McGovern
Pick 44-581 traded to Sydney
Pick 51-475 traded to Carlton

Final points gained = 1087 (equal to pick 21-22)

Sydney:
Pick 31-828
Pick 33-784
Pick 44-581
Less
Pick 16-1280

Final points gained = 913 (equal to pick 27-28)

Carlton:
Mitch McGovern
Pick 51-475 (Adelaide future 3rd)
Less
Pick 31-828
Pick 33-784
Pick 45-565 (appx value based on Krueger trade to Geelong for pick 43)
Pick 65-298

Final points used = 2000 (equal to pick 5)

The 2 other factors to take into account are:
Our round 5 pick may not have been used (less another 298=1702, pick 8 )
McAdam did not play at all this year and still may not make it and if he doesn't then...... (less another 565=1137, pick 20)

Average trading by AFC and excellent trading by Sydney.
It ultimately cost us more to add Sydney into the deal, maybe it was a side deal bonus for the Newman trade.

Based on the possibility of McAdam not playing, an early second rounder for Mitch seems pretty fair, especially taking into account he still had 2 years of his contract at AFC.
But for me personally, I still question the need for him as a player (without taking into account Charlie injuries).
We are too top heavy in the forward line and a 700k mid would've been more beneficial IMO.

To be noted, his goal stats are on par with his time at AFC, averaging appx. 1.4 goals per game and 22 goals per season.
Let's hope he can step it up a level in 2020.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:00 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

blues_clues wrote:

The jury is still out on several highly drafted players like Fisher, Cunningham and SPS. I think Harry has under performed but taller players do take longer to develop.

Outside of the first 2 round selections, he has failed to pick up any decent players late in the draft. This is a major concern for me as the top clubs seem to find a gem or 3 late on the draft or via rookie draft and he has failed to find any in 5 attempts at it. I cannot name one player outside pick 30 who looks promising. So this makes me doubt the kids he selected with the early draft picks.

When SOS sold the rebuild to the board his plan was to hit the draft for the 3 years and in 2018 and 19 top up with free agents and sky rocket up the ladder in 2020.... he failed miserably and this has set back any chance of us playing finals in 2020.

I'm expecting to finish 7th or 8th in 2020 if Harry, Charlie, JM & Eddie can play 18+ solid or better games each we should kick more winning scores.

I've liked McGoverns physical presence and accurate set shots this year and I expect a fitter McGovern to produce more of that next year.

I expect Docherty, Williamson and Newnes to strengthen our already solid back six and a stronger young midfield group to improve our possession count.

I think Pittonet is a solid acquisition to support Krooz and TDK.

So, all in all I think SOS has set us up pretty well talent wise. It's up to others now to get them to produce it and I expect them to deliver.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:20 pm 
Craig Bradley

bondiblue wrote:
Question for Cru and BS: Is McGovern in your best 22?

I posted a few months back in the List Management 2020 thread that I think the spot is his, but it's not my best 22. I've got him in because I think we've got, at best, 25 AFL-level players and a $700k forward needs to play.

I think Jack Silvagni, Casboult, Kennedy and McGovern are on the board as "third tall" options, if that's what the structure of the day calls for. In my best 22, the position is Levi's until the midfield depth improves to the point where all of Dow, O'Brien, Cunningham and any of the 2019 draft class MUST be included - at which point I would have Jack or Kennedy in the role.

In short, Brackets gets his chance because the others are deployed elsewhere.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:48 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

blues_clues wrote:

Don’t expect an avalanche of support around here, but nonetheless I give you a :thumbsup:

:wink:

Having said that (ironically) this draft could be SOS’s best with the late picks, like Ramsay, Honey and Phillips.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:51 pm 
Bruce Doull

Kinnear Beatson has knocked us back, apparently.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:03 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

I understood that we were not interested in him in the first place.

So your source is interesting.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:10 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

As I said previously, I'd be throwing everything at Dalrymple.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:24 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

[quote="bondiblue" Question for Cru and BS: Is McGovern in your best 22?[/quote]

The best 22 for 2020 will be determined by the form leading up to Rd 1 and not the form late in 2019.
As I said earlier, I'm not sold on him but that was last year and I obviously haven't seen anything to tell me he's better or worse. Maybe you have if you've seen him at training.
If Harry, Charlie, Mitch, Jack, Martin, Eddie, Cunningham are all fit, How do we set up the F50? Jack finished the year off very well but Charlie is in front of him. Harry is a given even though Levi is a much better kick for goal. Would I have Jack in the forward line instead of McGovern (which might be the choice come Rd1)? On last year's form? Yes.
Did McGovern get a decent run at it last year? No. That back injury set him back a lot. Will he play Rd 1? Depends on how they see the set up. I'm thinking yes but then what do they do with Jack?

I don't think Kennedy is in the mix in the front half if everybody is fit. I think he'll play midfield or will miss out. I think Jack finished off the year better and has more to offer than Kennedy and isn't far off Mitch. Certainly he is more rounded and hard at it. Kennedy had no pre-season last year. I just watched the Rd 22 StK game and Mitch played pretty well in terms of impacting the game, albeit with not a lot of possessions but that's apparently him in a nutshell.

If McGovern can produce and sustain his best form I think he is in our best 22.
Has the MC got the balls to leave him out of Rd 1? I doubt it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:29 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

AGRO wrote:
blues_clues wrote:

Don’t expect an avalanche of support around here, but nonetheless I give you a :thumbsup:

:wink:

Having said that (ironically) this draft could be SOS’s best with the late picks, like Ramsay, Honey and Phillips.

Some fair point in that. Add O'Brien to that list.
I think Harry has proven to be OK. Had he kicked straight last season he' have been fantastic as a FF. SPS has been on my radar but I think he will be a winner. Th others are still an unknown quantity.
We can't force free agents to pick us. That will come.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:03 pm 
Geoff Southby

Blue Vain wrote:
As I said previously, I'd be throwing everything at Dalrymple.

Yep !

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:21 am 
Bruce Doull

AGRO wrote:
I understood that we were not interested in him in the first place.

So your source is interesting.

Ralphy and SEN twitter. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:57 am 
Craig Bradley

I'd abolish the role and put more into the two areas of failure - scouting and recruitment.

If the Head of Football, National Recruiting Manager and List Manager can't devise a recruiting and list management strategy, then one or all of them needs to go.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:34 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Crusader wrote:
I'd abolish the role and put more into the two areas of failure - scouting and recruitment.

If the Head of Football, National Recruiting Manager and List Manager can't devise a recruiting and list management strategy, then one or all of them needs to go.

Good points.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:28 pm 
Harry Vallence

Crusader wrote:

It will be interesting to see if they replace SOS or just make the position redundant.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:56 pm 
Harry Vallence

robertbb wrote:
Tom Williamson looks pretty promising at pick 61.

He does....

During the same period at the Tigers, pick 40 onwards (most are rookie selections)...

Ross, Stack & Pickett in 7 months, and all three would be in our best 22...

Then there's Broad, Chol, Graham, Stengle (now at the Crows), Baker... 3 or 4 more would probably be in our best 22

Then there's Dan Butler (St.kilda now) and Jayden Short from the 2014 rookie draft prior to SOS's reign

And Kane Lambert before then...

No wonder our club started listening....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 583 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next