Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:07 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 583 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 30  Next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:27 am 
Harry Vallence

Sydney Blue wrote:
The reason they gave being the 2 sons was just plain dumb.
It puts the 2 lads in a awkward no win position as they will always be regarded as being on the list because of their dad.
Seriously is there a sporting club in the country where a person of influence doesn't have a family member or siblings playing for that club.

No winners here

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

And what happens if the third son is recruited?

This is an untenable position that SOS faces, he is directly responsible for the contract terms and money for his own sons, this would never be allowed in any corporate administration.

I am so disappointed that SOS can't continue in the role as I believe him to be an excellent list manager and there will be another 14 clubs that would bend over backwards to get him if he wanted, however I do believe that this will be for the best in the long term

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:27 am 
Rod Ashman

The main problem I have is with the leaking of an ‘acrimonious’ split within the club.
Every club has these sorts of disagreements.
It is the loose lips which sinks ships.
If not for that, the conflict story might have made sense. But we all know it is up there with the ‘Charlie slipped on a tile’ explanation.

I think SOS has done an amazing job and will miss him at the draft table next year.
I am sure we will find someone very good to replace him.

The biggest job now rests with Teague, with a pre-season under his belt, no excuses but heaps of expectation.

And if JSOS maintains his trajectory and form, I am sure he will stay. If not, I am sure he won’t. I have no problem with him liking that tweet - it’s his dad FFS and it’s good that he has some back bone. And I’m sure Liddle’s skin is thick enough to cope with a son mildly backing his dad on social media.

I’m excited about what our team can do in the coming year and years and any success we have will rightly be in large part attributed to SOS.

And I also think Liddle appears to be doing a fine job and will also share in the accolades. And probably Bolton to a lesser degree as well. Not so much Malthouse....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:38 am 
Bruce Doull

Rod Waddell wrote:
ITS the second time SOS has left the club in acrimonious circumstances......he has form.

Club is bigger than the individual.

:thumbsup:

SOS is a deservedly respected past player. All Carlton people love what he gave us on the field.

That doesn't make him infallible as an administrator. I think he's done okay, excellent in some aspects and questionable in others. As discussed, few recruiters/list managers, if any, have unblemished records. On balance SOS has been good. Spin or not, the conflict of interest with his boys is a rational reason for him to depart.

While not totally professional, it's also understanding as to why Jack is showing his thoughts via social media. But, it's the off season where headlines are needed and, whatever happens in the future, Jack will be a Carlton player for the 2020 season and if the club wants him to stay I think time will heal any wounds from his dad's departure.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:52 am 
Horrie Clover

camelboy wrote:
Rod Waddell wrote:
ITS the second time SOS has left the club in acrimonious circumstances......he has form.

Club is bigger than the individual.

:thumbsup:

SOS is a deservedly respected past player. All Carlton people love what he gave us on the field.

That doesn't make him infallible as an administrator. I think he's done okay, excellent in some aspects and questionable in others. As discussed, few recruiters/list managers, if any, have unblemished records. On balance SOS has been good. Spin or not, the conflict of interest with his boys is a rational reason for him to depart.

While not totally professional, it's also understanding as to why Jack is showing his thoughts via social media. But, it's the off season where headlines are needed and, whatever happens in the future, Jack will be a Carlton player for the 2020 season and if the club wants him to stay I think time will heal any wounds from his dad's departure.

exactly. there is a new season ahead of us - time for Jack to settle down and establish himself, or if he chooses, spit the dummy... either way he has to have a good season 2020 to be playing somewhere in 2021

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:58 am 
Stephen Kernahan

I always thought people pressed like because they were too lazy to comment one way or the other but just to let the poster know they had seen it.
I never press like.
I comment or move on.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:44 am 
Geoff Southby

Silvagni was the list manager right? Could we even name the other 17 list managers? :?:

He’s a high profile person and a past champion so this gets so much attention. My personal opinion of him when I had dealings with him as a 14-17 yr old fan doesn’t take away from the great job he’s done here and I wish him well. If he is throwing his weight around because of his status as a club champ then I think letting him go is a step away from the old boys club at Carlton, my gut feeling is that this is a good thing.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:17 am 
Harry Vallence

Love SOS just as much as anyone here but what really upsets me here is that the media have been running with this infighting/feud/call it what you want story for over 3 weeks now and the club (the gutless ones running it) have said nothing. The silence is/was deafening and the media continue to speak for the club. MLG and mates ...... you're an ordinary lot.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:38 am 
Craig Bradley

FWIW, I reached out to the club (somewhat angrily) and received a response. I wrote back to apologize for being angry in the first instance and just raising my concerns at how we handled it.

The Membership Communications Coordinator responded with

"Not a problem at all – we completely understand that our members are incredibly passionate (it’s what makes our Club so great).

With his contract expiring at the end of the year, SOS was in constant and open conversations with the Club throughout the entire season but expressed a desire to delay any public commentary surrounding his position until after the draft, which the Club wanted to respect."

I worry we've allowed the usual suspects of crap AFL "journalists" to drive the narrative.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:52 am 
Harry Vallence

AIRCAV wrote:
FWIW, I reached out to the club (somewhat angrily) and received a response. I wrote back to apologize for being angry in the first instance and just raising my concerns at how we handled it.

"Not a problem at all – we completely understand that our members are incredibly passionate (it’s what makes our Club so great).

With his contract expiring at the end of the year, SOS was in constant and open conversations with the Club throughout the entire season but expressed a desire to delay any public commentary surrounding his position until after the draft, which the Club wanted to respect."

I worry we've allowed the usual suspects of crap AFL "journalists" to drive the narrative.

That's basically my point

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:55 am 
Stephen Silvagni

Navy One wrote:
AIRCAV wrote:

That's basically my point

Blame lies with the leaky sneakers.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:09 pm 
Geoff Southby

This fiasco yet again brings up the point that the board needs replacing
That cannot happen with the current rules in place let alone an alternative collective that can run the joint so that this sort of instability doesn’t continue to happen
It’s called dictatorship.
That’s why I ain’t a member.
I have no say on what happens at the joint.
That ain’t right.
That ain’t democracy on a footy scale.
The hierarchy just want your dosh and then tell ya to come with an united us.
Whilst I wasn’t a big wrap om SOS no way should the CEO go behind his back when it comes to recruiting and list management.
A good board would of handled the situation so much better

If there ever comes a time we have a change of board I would also have half men half women
I reckon Erin Phillips would be one person I would love to have at our club.
One switched on women.
As I have said numerous times
The fish rots from the head

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:49 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Vain wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:
Navy Blue Horse wrote:
Jack's replying to tweets about it all now. Not smart.

Doesn’t matter. Either way the kid will be at a new club soon enough. Totally flowering disgusting.

That's a BS statement Surrey.

He is not going anywhere as far as anyone knows.

Stay tuned mate and don’t think for one moment that I’m happy.

If true, that substantiates the clubs view that there is a conflict that is difficult to manage. SOS would have been well paid for his efforts. The club has simply chosen not to renew his contract. Just like SOS has ended plenty of careers over the past decade. It's not like he was marched out the door. In an elite sporting competition, surely SOS would be the first to understand the ruthless approach required. He has been as ruthless as anyone. Ask Zach Tuohy.

FWIW, SOS apparently requested it not become public until after the trade period. We've had players leave the club after being delisted and their families found out through medias releases within 10 minutes of the sacking. IMHO, SOS has rightly been afforded far more respect than a lot of previous administrators and players have been.
It's time to move on and if Jack chooses not be part of it, so be it. See you later Jack.

Agree with all :thumbsup:

Good point you make which Ive highlighted.

SOS has built another fantastic list. This one at Carlton with absolutely no help and plenty of hindrancefrom the corrupt AFL Commission.

Well done SOS.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:54 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

TheBluesMuse wrote:
Silvagni was the list manager right? Could we even name the other 17 list managers? :?: .

Grant Thomas?

I wonder if SEN, or Herald Sun will scrutinise the selections made at draft over the last 10 years?

says it all TBM. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:59 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

keogh wrote:
This fiasco yet again brings up the point that the board needs replacing
That cannot happen with the current rules in place let alone an alternative collective that can run the joint so that this sort of instability doesn’t continue to happen
It’s called dictatorship.
That’s why I ain’t a member.
I have no say on what happens at the joint.
That ain’t right.
That ain’t democracy on a footy scale.
The hierarchy just want your dosh and then tell ya to come with an united us.
Whilst I wasn’t a big wrap om SOS no way should the CEO go behind his back when it comes to recruiting and list management.
A good board would of handled the situation so much better

If there ever comes a time we have a change of board I would also have half men half women
I reckon Erin Phillips would be one person I would love to have at our club.
One switched on women.

As I have said numerous times
The fish rots from the head

I like this idea.

Fair enough reason to not be a member .
I'm a rusted on Member. I need that fix called Loyalty....you're questioning to wom, and I would respond with

"Carlton Football Team"

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:03 pm 
Craig Bradley

General Manager - List Management and Strategy

It's such a McKinsey-esque, dotted line, faux-executive position. A @#$%&! pox on an operation.
Tell me how the positions below are incapable of arriving at a decision on player recruitment, retention and remuneration?

Head of Football
Senior Coach
Director of High Performance
Head of Development
List Manager
National Recruiting Manager

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:21 pm 
Rod Ashman

No inside knowledge but thought SOS was terrific. Finally find it really hard to pick a best 22 - too many players I want to fit in. Most of the recruiting 'misses' were unsurprising - either part of a bigger package or getting some mature bodies in to help the youth in the short term.
I also enjoyed that for a while there (on draft night) we were the most innovative club and lead the way... Been a while since I felt that and enjoyed the feeling.
Don't get the departure rationale but aware that I don't know any behind the scenes stuff.
Next person better be good.....

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:09 pm 
Harry Vallence

Lets see in 4-5 years time whether he has done any good!!then some clowns can erect a statue outside ikon park!! We have shown f/all with our numerous 1st round picks!!All i have seen is multiple wooden spoons ect!!

All you campaigners can let us know in a few years time how we are going!!

Then we can erect a statue just to keep you guys all fluffy and happy!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:23 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Trigger wrote:
Lets see in 4-5 years time whether he has done any good!!then some clowns can erect a statue outside ikon park!! We have shown f/all with our numerous 1st round picks!!All i have seen is multiple wooden spoons ect!!

You could use a wooden spoon to deal with all that erecting.

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:38 pm 
Harry Vallence

GWS wrote:
Trigger wrote:

You could use a wooden spoon to deal with all that erecting.

Go away!! No idea have you!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:50 pm 
Ken Hunter

Walsh wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:
Navy Blue Horse wrote:
Jack's replying to tweets about it all now. Not smart.

Doesn’t matter. Either way the kid will be at a new club soon enough. Totally flowering disgusting.

That's a BS statement Surrey.

He is not going anywhere as far as anyone knows.

Why would he want to stay at a club where his father was mistreated?

I think this circus is typical Carlton. If any other administrator had a son on the list no one would say a word in fact no one would care.

Liddle making the tough decision...oh yeah really.. you big tough guy you. Tough decision need to be made if KPIs have not been met.. did SOS reach them or are you a Gale plant.

Now get out of my footy club.

It won’t be Jacks or Bens or Toms decision to leave. They bleed Navy Blue.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 583 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 30  Next