Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:38 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 266  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:35 pm 
John Nicholls

Queue Brendon Bolton... "We just have to do it for longer"... "we just lacked polish in crucial moments"...

Been listening to this song for a long, long time now...

da da da da D'OH

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:48 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

dannyboy wrote:
frank dardew wrote:
I watched most games on the weekend and the only team at the moment we would get close to was Adelaide given they were as insipid as us compared to most of the others with maybe Hawks last half
Teams like Aints North GC all came with ruthlessness to the task we are busy smiling as you say where the whole football world thinks we are too nice and are prepared to be second best

Enough

while I understand this Frank, we did get close to Melbourne.

Close ... we were seven goals down and play with so little intent especially early in games ... why ?

"Truth, for the tyrants, is the most terrible and cruel of all bindings; it is like an incandescent iron falling across their chests. And it is even more agonizing than hot iron, for that only burns the flesh, while truth burns its way into the soul"     — Lauro Aguirre

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:12 pm 
Craig Bradley

Hi Danny good to hear from you and yes close in the end but nearly always going to lose if you given a team 7 goals start
I know this one really got me and have vented far too much here in the last 3 days as you know generally positive and have been preaching patience here for 15 years . However I think it got to me because even though we were diabolical early and really insipid we had a chance to win kicked 3 5 in the last quarter and still blew it
Also the fact that it was a carbon copy of the lacklustre start against the Tigers 12 weeks before I thought was unfathomable
Shouldn’t take it to heart but footy and Carlton in particular never just been a game to me :razz:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:16 pm 
Bruce Doull

As arse about as it is, I can almost handle the shit start, it's more that we ran all over them in the last, created more than enough opportunities to win and wasted them.

The waste is probably a bigger problem than the headstart, I think.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:58 pm 
Ken Hands

camelboy wrote:
As arse about as it is, I can almost handle the shit start, it's more that we ran all over them in the last, created more than enough opportunities to win and wasted them.

Couldn't disagree more. You can't give a team a 5 goal start and expect to win in any era. With shorter quarters even less. It will happen from time to time to every club. We just make a fine art out of it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:07 pm 
Bob Chitty

Blues21 wrote:
camelboy wrote:

Couldn't disagree more. You can't give a team a 5 goal start and expect to win in any era. With shorter quarters even less. It will happen from time to time to every club. We just make a fine art out of it.

Yep agreed. I can forgive some of the late errors because the endeavour was there late in the game. I felt like we were throwing everything at them late. That same endeavour wasn’t there when we let them walk over us for 1.5 quarters. We never should have been in the position we ended up in late in the game. If we were on from the start, we’d have won by 3-4 goals and be sitting middle of the ladder at 1-1. Instead, we’re ruing what could have been prior to a trip down the highway to face the in form Cats.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:19 pm 
Bruce Doull

How is "can't fault the endeavour" different from, oh well, nevermind it was an honourable loss?

Of course the crap start is inexcusable, especially when it's becoming a pattern, but why focus all critical thought on that one issue.

Despite that shit start, we still should have won that game and it was only our own fault that we didn't.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:41 pm 
Ken Hunter

frank dardew wrote:
Interestingly Dogs coach savaged players for their performance which was ordinary and our bloke says his torn because of comeback after giving 7 goals start
Let’s hope he learns quickly

:clap:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:47 pm 
Ken Hunter

I’ll ask again, who is our Neil Balme? It’s not Lloyd - so who is willing to shake the footy department up and make sure this cannot be tolerated any longer. Our expectation this year and from here on in is playing finals. No more 11th is good enough, 9th is good enough, 10 wins is good enough.....finals is our aim. Let’s start demanding the optimum point in our reach!

So where do we find our Neil Balme?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:26 pm 
Robert Walls

Out of interest, who was the last AFL Premiership coach not to have been involved in an AFL premiership either as a player, or as an assistant coach at a previous club? Paul Roos?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:58 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

https://www.afl.com.au/news/449919/fina ... -route-now

Remarkably, Saturday's contest was the ninth time in 13 games under Teague's reign at Ikon Park that the Blues have trailed by at least 30 points during a match.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:14 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Effes wrote:
https://www.afl.com.au/news/449919/final-siren-via-the-loop-why-the-teague-train-needs-a-new-route-now

Remarkably, Saturday's contest was the ninth time in 13 games under Teague's reign at Ikon Park that the Blues have trailed by at least 30 points during a match.

I understand the call from Teague that "we have to play for longer" but...

We need to player stronger in the first.
It seems the boys are not switched on in the first but can turn things around after the first quarter and last longer than the opposition.

Maybe they have been conditioned to play 30 minute quarters and built for endurance.
We lack that burst of power in the first quarter, maybe because we haven't been conditioned for that.
If that's the case, we can't compete against a team conditioned to come out of the blocks on fire.
Goodwin said that Burgess (Russell's counterpart at Dees) trained the players for 16 minute quarters, to come out of the blocks with everything: power.

I'm not saying to give up the endurance thing, but at least have the players who can withstand such an onslaught in the midfield, to at least hold the bulls at the gate for the first quarter.

Bigger bodies in the coal face who can tackle and compete and have speed and smarts on the outside of them to link up or stop the opposition getting out of the contest bubble.

In fact go plus one in the midfield the way Bombers did to us a few years back when they smashed us in our first encounter from the Elimination Final....yes we were suspicious of substance abuse, but they did throw plus one and stopped our run on the outside with Stevens and Murphy.

Hey Coaches, here's n idea, try pointing the finger at yourselves. Maybe the answer to the slow starts might be right under your nose: You make Conditioning and Personnel choices. Fix it.

Last edited by bondiblue on Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:15 pm 
Bruce Doull

Effes wrote:
https://www.afl.com.au/news/449919/final-siren-via-the-loop-why-the-teague-train-needs-a-new-route-now

yuck !!

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:40 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

We've been going to sleep for long periods for years

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:40 pm 
Harry Vallence

Molly wrote:
Out of interest, who was the last AFL Premiership coach not to have been involved in an AFL premiership either as a player, or as an assistant coach at a previous club? Paul Roos?

Good Question. Apart from Paul Roos, probably Mark Williams, but he did play in 4 SANFL premierships at Port Adelaide.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:59 pm 
Craig Bradley

Adam Simpson blasts players for lack of intensity against GC

Are our coaching team still torn in their thoughts of the performance of our team in not starting for 1.5 quarters to start the game being 7 goals down before we startedand the failed fight back late in the game
Torn between furious and frustrated maybe

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:27 pm 
Ken Hunter

My genuine concern is that our coaching team is getting out-coached or even worse, is unprepared for the opposition and hence the blow outs early. Then come quarter time when we re-adjust and make the necessary moves, we settle into the game. Scary if so.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:05 pm 
Bob Chitty

SurreyBlue wrote:
My genuine concern is that our coaching team is getting out-coached or even worse, is unprepared for the opposition and hence the blow outs early. Then come quarter time when we re-adjust and make the necessary moves, we settle into the game. Scary if so.

if anything i dont think we are getting out coached, i think we are out foxed at the start of a game, and the players arent capable of making the changes themselves during the quarter ... aka petracca on murphy .. it was plain for all to see it wasnt working and perhaps the coach has a rule with the players, gives them a quarter to addresses it, but if they cant, then he takes care of it at 1/4 time etc.. Our starting line up its pretty much the same every game, perhaps we need to change that up, as other coaches plan for it etc..

when we get to the 1/4 time break, teague makes adjustments and its a vastly different outcome from there on out. i think teague is a brillant match day coach, but perhaps needs work on the initial build up to a game (referrring to tactics and first 1/4 match ups)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:59 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

ScottSaunders2 wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:

if anything i dont think we are getting out coached, i think we are out foxed at the start of a game, and the players arent capable of making the changes themselves during the quarter ... aka petracca on murphy .. it was plain for all to see it wasnt working and perhaps the coach has a rule with the players, gives them a quarter to addresses it, but if they cant, then he takes care of it at 1/4 time etc.. Our starting line up its pretty much the same every game, perhaps we need to change that up, as other coaches plan for it etc..

when we get to the 1/4 time break, teague makes adjustments and its a vastly different outcome from there on out. i think teague is a brillant match day coach, but perhaps needs work on the initial build up to a game (referrring to tactics and first 1/4 match ups)

surely Murphy would have only spent a few mins at best on CP before rotations. it was as clear as day 10 mins in that he was tearing us apart, the clampdown was too slow IMO. that's coaching.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:04 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Navy Blue Horse wrote:
We've been going to sleep for long periods for years

True but it’s pretty easy to identify a trend since Teague took over

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 266  Next