Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:50 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 266  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:00 pm 
Craig Bradley

Do the coaches and club understand the level of frustration carlton supporters are feeling in relation to the past 10 years and the fact that in nine years haven’t won one game out of the first 2 and haven’t turned up to play for the first 1.5 quarters in the first 2 games
Teague in the press conference says he is frustrated with the start but torn because of the subsequent performance
No were are not torn we are bloody angry
Dare I say it Terry Wallace on the radio suggested in his view he was too soft and let the players off lightly by his comments
Terry is not the touchstone of all wisdom but he was right -a coach on l plates I know but read the temperature /conditions the supporters are livid
When can we expect a mature performance from this club when can we get read of insipid performances when can we get professionalism
After 20 years is it too much to ask or expect

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:03 pm 
Craig Bradley

And just to finish the rant went over to listen to another station and they are suggesting our players are too nice -What an indictment

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:11 pm 
Ken Hunter

Make them visit the TalkingStuff forum, that will turn them into belligerent mother flowers.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:56 pm 
Bob Chitty

This is the first bit of adversity DT has faced and how he responds to it will go a fair way to determining whether he can turn around the culture of this club. I heard Clarkson (in my view, the best coach of this century) refer to his midfield as “third rate” after their performance on Friday night. DT strikes me as a people person and the players seem to like him. But, now the question becomes, can we get tough with them? I’m not advocating for old school sprays of individuals in front of the group or 6 changes for the next game. However, DT needs to find a way to get the message firmly through to the players that the first 1.5 quarters of the last two games is completely unacceptable.

If our club continues to have the ability to just not show up (no pressure, tackling, commitment, mental toughness, aggression and care) for portions of games, then we will never achieve what we want to as a club, no matter how much talent we gather. Look at Melbourne, they also have a losing culture and have for as long as us - probably longer. They rode a wave of momentum, talent and emotion to a prelim in 2018 but now they are back to the bottom 4 because their culture still accepts losing and disappointing efforts. Unless we change this culture at our club, the best we can expect is some very short term mild success, but nothing great and nothing sustainable.

Changing a horrible culture that has festered for 15-20 years won’t be easy. This isn’t just on DT. It’s on the whole club - board, footy department, coaching group and players. Clarkson did it at hawthorn and Dimma did it with Richmond (they both had losing cultures when they took over the club). It can be done. I cross my fingers and hope DT can be a big part of the solution. If we can’t turn the culture around, it’ll be same old like the last 15 years.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:22 am 
Craig Bradley

Interestingly Dogs coach savaged players for their performance which was ordinary and our bloke says his torn because of comeback after giving 7 goals start
Let’s hope he learns quickly

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:35 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Certainly there is a need to strike a balance between having player buy in but also being strong with the players.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:40 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Watching some other games this weekend some teams were ruthless with their aggression. We didn't have that attitude at all. Think about some of our older leaders. There's no cun4 among them. Too nice this team.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:44 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Good points. It's a big month coming up for Teague. It's all good to "free the players up" and get them to enjoy their footy but there needs to be substance as well. Decent systems, structures and most importantly, expectations.
If I see Teague get asked again about what he expects from Eddie and respond with just wanting him to have a smile on his face and enjoy his footy, I'll spew up to quote Terry Wallace.
He should expect Eddie to contribute to the prospects of the team, chase, tackle and kick goals. He may tell Eddie he expects that from him but the supporters should know that Teague has those as non negotiables. Not @#$%&! smiling. (FWIW, I think Eddie did his job reasonably yesterday. Kicked a goal, created one for Gibbons, laid tackles and should have had another goal when May dropped the ball cold 15 metres out from goal)
A disgraceful non decision.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:15 am 
Craig Bradley

I watched most games on the weekend and the only team at the moment we would get close to was Adelaide given they were as insipid as us compared to most of the others with maybe Hawks last half
Teams like Aints North GC all came with ruthlessness to the task we are busy smiling as you say where the whole football world thinks we are too nice and are prepared to be second best

Enough

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:59 am 
Geoff Southby

The problems the club is facing have little to do with the coach
I think no coach in the last 20 years at the blues has seen out his contract.

2 points
Our recruiting team in the last 4 years has not recruited good midfielders or more generally guys who play between the forward 50 s.
That is where the game is won.
In his first year of drafting Other than Cuningham Silvangi recruited key position players that was successful
After that he failed to recruit the necessary midfield needed to support Cripps.
You need around 8 9 or 10 players who can rotate though there
We have around 2 or 3 and that’s it
If Cripps doesn’t have an impact we are [REDACTED]

The other point and more importantly is the board
I would love to know how much Pratt or Mathieson no about what constitutes a good AFL team
We all know why they are on the most important group of people at the club but they are from a bygone era and it’s a noose around the clubs neck.
Our President has done A great job with the finances but how much does he know about makes a good AFL team in 2020

You guys as always focus on the coach
The problem is far deeper than that

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:32 am 
Wayne Johnston

Blue Vain wrote:
Good points. It's a big month coming up for Teague. It's all good to "free the players up" and get them to enjoy their footy but there needs to be substance as well. Decent systems, structures and most importantly, expectations.
If I see Teague get asked again about what he expects from Eddie and respond with just wanting him to have a smile on his face and enjoy his footy, I'll spew up to quote Terry Wallace.
He should expect Eddie to contribute to the prospects of the team, chase, tackle and kick goals. He may tell Eddie he expects that from him but the supporters should know that Teague has those as non negotiables. Not @#$%&! smiling. (FWIW, I think Eddie did his job reasonably yesterday. Kicked a goal, created one for Gibbons, laid tackles and should have had another goal when May dropped the ball cold 15 metres out from goal)
A disgraceful non decision.

I agree about Eddie, he was involved in four scoring opportunities in a row early in the last quarter and helped spark the team, and should have had a fifth when May was caught red handed holding the ball. What made it worse was that one of our defenders (Jones I think?) was tackled as soon as he gained possession in the first quarter in much the same position, had no opportunity to dispose of the ball, and was penalised.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:38 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Agree that problem is far deeper than the coach.
Teague is the 4th full time coach we've had since 2012. All have had different personalities and coaching philosophies. Yet all have failed (though still early days/doors for Teague).
It can't just be the coach. We then get Andrew Russell in who is supposedly the best in the business. Yes he is no miracle worker. In a collision sport, injuries will happen. That is just bad luck. Then you have players whose body unfortunately can't stand up to the rigors of AFL. Russell can help with that but at the end of the day, he is no miracle worker.
However, are the players willing to do whatever it takes (minus injecting themselves with PEDs) to succeed?
I don't want to pick on or single our Dow, but he has had 3 full pre seasons with us, yet still has the body of a 14 year old boy. Why?
Stocker was drafter with question marks over his fitness. Now, after 2 full pre seasons and shortened quarters, he is seemingly still deemed to be unfit for AFL footy despite the shortened quarters. Why?
Is Russell not doing enough to get them ready or are the players now willing to put the work in?
Our kicking for goal is woeful. The other day it cost us yet another game of footy. I know Sav is gone, but our goal kicking was pretty disgraceful even while he was at the club. Yes, we saw improvement out of Levi, but what about the others? Jack Silvagni's goal kicking strike rate is a joke. If my percentages were as poor as his are in terms of goals v behinds ratio, I'd lose my job. What is he doing to improve his goal kicking? I see facebook posts of him pre game doing all these fancy kicks at goal from the front few rows of the stands and dribbling it through. Looks great if he wanted to join the Harlem Globetrotters. Means nothing when he continually misses from 25 to 30 metres out in a game. Don't want to pick on Dow again, but his goal kicking is just as bad. Kreuz on the rare occasion he gets a shot on goal, our players may as well just start setting up for a kick in after a behind. Charlie's kicking for goal is up and down. H's is woeful. Are these players doing absolutely everything to ensure they are getting the best out of themselves? Very questionable.

Our board is as weak as piss. When was the last time we as a club took the lead on any issue? We wait for other clubs and then if there appears to be enough support, we then jump on board like mindless sheep? We never go to the AFL demanding anything. We just get on our hands and knees and beg. It is no surprise we always get knocked back. Case in point, look at the assistance GC got. When we both applied the previous year, they went in strong. We were saying initially, we aren't going to ask. We asked a couple of years ago and got knocked back. We then used the "we got ourselves in this mess, we'll get ourselves out of it" line. We were so weak and indecisive. It was no surprise we got virtually nothing. Following year, look what GC gets when they go in strong again.
Then, lets look at Geelong. We all bag them for always demanding more games at their shitheap and demanding home finals. However, they keep banging away. They keep demanding. They keep going in strong and this year, things have gone their way and they are getting more home games. Did we even ask for home games at Ikon Park? Why not? If you don't ask and don't ask strongly, you get nothing. That is why we have never gotten anything. If you ask strongly for 10 things and only get one or two, that is a win. If you get on your hands and knees and beg in a pathetic manner and get knocked back twice and just give up, that is not good enough. That is exactly what we have been doing.
Weak board, weak players. Nobody willing to stand up strongly. Nobody willing to be aggressive. Nobody willing to do whatever it takes to get the absolute best out of themselves and the absolute best deal for the club.
Sums up why we have been wallowing in our own mediocrity.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:44 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

keogh wrote:

2 points
Our recruiting team in the last 4 years has not recruited good midfielders or more generally guys who play between the forward 50 s.
In his first year of drafting Other than Cuningham Silvangi recruited key position players that was successful
After that he failed to recruit the necessary midfield needed to support Cripps.

I would love to know how much Pratt or Mathieson no about what constitutes a good AFL team
We all know why they are on the most important group of people at the club but they are from a bygone era and it’s a noose around the clubs neck.
Our President has done A great job with the finances but how much does he know about makes a good AFL team in 2020

I think you're barking up the wrong tree focussing on Pratt and mathieson.
The mystique and rumours regarding their influence being to the detriment of the club is fanciful.
Thank god we have benefactors like them TBH.

Of course they have seen success (pre 2000), and have the money and networks to surround them with the best minds and opinions.
They do talk to other people in other clubs too. They're business people the mix it with the best of them. They know what they need to know. MLG and Liddle are doing all they need to do off field.

Its on field we fail to show up.
We only lost by a point, and there's plenty of time to turn things around even in a shortened season, but have we got the personnel to beat opposition midfield groups?

I think you're correct bout the personnel/ recruitment.
Not tough enough to play midfield in the coal face.
No mongrel to fight for ball. Same type characters drafted: nice guys from good backgrounds.
We need players with white line fever and hate losing. Competitive beasts....why isn't Stocker playing? Only 20yo?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:38 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Our problem is mental.

Can't handle pressure and expectation. Chokers. We've seen it year after year, player after player.

Need a modern day Sheedy or Blight kind of attitude driving the playing group.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:39 pm 
Bob Chitty

bondiblue wrote:
keogh wrote:

2 points

I think you're barking up the wrong tree focussing on Pratt and mathieson.
The mystique and rumours regarding their influence being to the detriment of the club is fanciful.
Thank god we have benefactors like them TBH.

Of course they have seen success (pre 2000), and have the money and networks to surround them with the best minds and opinions.
They do talk to other people in other clubs too. They're business people the mix it with the best of them. They know what they need to know. MLG and Liddle are doing all they need to do off field.

Its on field we fail to show up.
We only lost by a point, and there's plenty of time to turn things around even in a shortened season, but have we got the personnel to beat opposition midfield groups?

I think you're correct bout the personnel/ recruitment.
Not tough enough to play midfield in the coal face.
No mongrel to fight for ball. Same type characters drafted: nice guys from good backgrounds.
We need players with white line fever and hate losing. Competitive beasts....why isn't Stocker playing? Only 20yo?

Agree Bondi your last paragraph really hits on the key issue. Yes, our midfield is thin and needs to be bolstered - either by the kids on our list developing or mature recruits from other clubs. But, it is the ruthlessness and win at all costs mentality which is costing us at the moment. The first quarter we didn’t have the required effort and intensity. We were beaten to the ball by a hungrier team, we then didn’t tackle or pressure to slow them down. No one laid a big bump or did anything courageous to shift the momentum. We just let them walk in easy goals without any pressure. When we finally decided to show up, we completely dominated them, without putting it fully on the scoreboard. I truly believe we are a much better team than Melbourne but we lost because we weren’t willing to do the tough stuff for 4 quarters. It’s on the players and DT to fix this ASAP. If they can’t, it’s over to Austin to draft / recruit competitors who are willing to do whatever it takes to win. As Franky said, until we start playing with a ruthless attitude and intent, we’ll struggle to progress beyond a few token wins each year. We’ve got too much talent to finish bottom 4 again.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:05 pm 
Bruce Doull

Teague the player, at his best was fearless at the ball, desperate to compete and worked hard to reach his potential.

Find out a way to get your players to consistently do the same please.

Toot, toot!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:38 pm 
Ken Hunter

frank dardew wrote:
I watched most games on the weekend and the only team at the moment we would get close to was Adelaide given they were as insipid as us compared to most of the others with maybe Hawks last half
Teams like Aints North GC all came with ruthlessness to the task we are busy smiling as you say where the whole football world thinks we are too nice and are prepared to be second best

Enough

while I understand this Frank, we did get close to Melbourne.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:48 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Rexy wrote:
Our problem is mental.

Spot on. It's driving me @#$%&! bananas

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:57 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

dannyboy wrote:
frank dardew wrote:

Enough

while I understand this Frank, we did get close to Melbourne.

Good point you make dannyboy.

We beat Dees and Tigers in the 2nd half, and most of the 2nd qtrs too.

We are not far off. Just need to be tougher and stronger in the coal face.
A change in attitude, sand in the line as someone said earlier....and then get the taste of a big win and we are off...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:59 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

camelboy wrote:
Teague the player, at his best was fearless at the ball, desperate to compete and worked hard to reach his potential.

Find out a way to get your players to consistently do the same please.

Toot, toot!

From what Ive seen Honey has physical presence, and seems to have a bit of the old fashioned c... I mean mongrel.
Hope so.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 266  Next