Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:28 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1634 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 82  Next

Who should be Carlton's next coach?
Teague 48%  48%  [ 125 ]
B Scott 2%  2%  [ 4 ]
Clarkson 13%  13%  [ 34 ]
Ratten 13%  13%  [ 33 ]
Voss 7%  7%  [ 18 ]
Malthouse 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Walls 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Caracella 3%  3%  [ 9 ]
Longmuir 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
Barker 0%  0%  [ 1 ]
Leppitsch 0%  0%  [ 1 ]
Mitchell 3%  3%  [ 7 ]
Bassett 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
Burns 2%  2%  [ 6 ]
Roos 3%  3%  [ 8 ]
Other 5%  5%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 262
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:41 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

bluegirl72 wrote:
kezza wrote:
BigKev wrote:
I suspect that this is just makey-uppey from Ben Dixon to get himself a bit of publicity, (it worked).

Clarkson has come out today and stated categorically that he won't be coaching Carlton.
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-06-25/ ... ving-hawks

Fine by me.

What else to we expect him to say?

Carlton are a great club
Tremendous.
If I was going to coach anywhere else(which I am not) it would be at Carlton.

Clarkson's scared to come to Carlton.
Everyone Navy Blue who knows what he's he's done to Bluebaggers wants his head.
Everyone.

Clarkson is an animal.
He's nothing with the leadership of Hodge Mitchell and Lewis.
And in 2008 ... lady luck jinxed Gellongs accuracy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:04 am 
Stephen Kernahan

bondiblue wrote:
bluegirl72 wrote:
kezza wrote:
BigKev wrote:
I suspect that this is just makey-uppey from Ben Dixon to get himself a bit of publicity, (it worked).

Clarkson has come out today and stated categorically that he won't be coaching Carlton.
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-06-25/ ... ving-hawks

Fine by me.

What else to we expect him to say?

Carlton are a great club
Tremendous.
If I was going to coach anywhere else(which I am not) it would be at Carlton.

Clarkson's scared to come to Carlton.
Everyone Navy Blue who knows what he's he's done to Bluebaggers wants his head.
Everyone.

Clarkson is an animal.
He's nothing without the leadership of Hodge Mitchell and Lewis.
And in 2008 ... lady luck jinxed Gellongs accuracy

EFA

He lucked out with the draft that year.
He has gone down the path of topping up year after year and with success. Next year he will lose several players 30+ years old on whom he has depended for years.
They are tipped to get Coneglio apparently because they are a destination club. They will also get Mitchell back. O'Meara is a gun. That's a decent midfield core. Their ruck stocks are thin so they will go hard for Ryder. If they can get two good years out of him they will have the makings of a really good clearance team. Then there is Sicily who is a loose cannon but a great player. After that they are thin on the ground for genuine stars.
I think they are in a tricky situation and have to do more than top up with a couple of mids before they are a power again.
Can Clarko do it with a team of reasonable players and a few stars? Who knows.
Personally I have never liked him or his coaching. He has always looked for the loophole that would allow his team to stretch the boundaries of legality, the blocking of the one-two, putting two men on the mark to prevent playing on, standing behind the kicker to run him down from behind as soon as the umpy calls play on, sniping opposition players with just enough force to knock them over but rarely enough to warrant a suspension, having your current captain pinch someone for years and then pretend it's nothing when he finally gets outed. These are all tactics to be employed in an era where retaliation will result in a massive penalty. I can't imagine anybody lasting too long pinching Williams, DRJ, Johnno and co.
Finally, we must never forget Ian Aitken. That dog act was worse than Balme on Southby. It ruined that kid's entire career.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:39 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theage.com.au/sport/afl/clarkson-an-angry-small-man-says-oval-victim-20090901-ge82li.html

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:01 am 
Bruce Doull

If he's got any sense he'll retire after his Hawks gig and be thought of as one of the best coaches of all time, rather than come to us and @#$%&! up his legacy. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:16 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Whether you like him or not (I don't), you are kidding if you don't recognise he is heads and shoulders the best coach in Australia the last 25 years.

Clarko's cluster.
Then St K/Coll mastered the forward press, he figured the best way out of it was accurate ball use and possession. Took 3 years getting his team to perfect that. Then they were unstoppable. Made 5 GFs, lost 1. 3 that he won, the team was underdogs.
He moved Buddy up the field away from the forward line in 2013 to win a flag then won 2 more after he left.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:25 am 
Bruce Doull

buzzaaaah wrote:
Whether you like him or not (I don't), you are kidding if you don't recognise he is heads and shoulders the best coach in Australia the last 25 years.

Clarko's cluster.
Then St K/Coll mastered the forward press, he figured the best way out of it was accurate ball use and possession. Took 3 years getting his team to perfect that. Then they were unstoppable. Made 5 GFs, lost 1. 3 that he won, the team was underdogs.
He moved Buddy up the field away from the forward line in 2013 to win a flag then won 2 more after he left.

Not to mention he's given leave to sit down with the League over a coffee and tell them how they should be doing things when he's not happy.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:52 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

That'd change if he came to us. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:37 pm 
Rod Ashman

buzzaaaah wrote:

Clarko's cluster.

"Accurate ball use and possession" .... yeah that's brilliant.
I don't know how no one at Carlton has come with that! :grin:

If Clarkson was available I agree that he'd be worth a look - you can't deny his record at Hawthorn. Doesn't mean he'd be good at Carlton though and I'd prefer we consider all candidates rather than chase one big name.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:43 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

How did everyone feel about Greg Williams coming to Carlton a couple of years after busting David Rhy-Jones' jaw in an act of thuggery?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:50 pm 
Ken Hunter

David was probably asking for it, to be fair. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:01 pm 
Bruce Doull

rhino27 wrote:
How did everyone feel about Greg Williams coming to Carlton a couple of years after busting David Rhy-Jones' jaw in an act of thuggery?

Probably about the same as we felt when Rhys was recruited a few years earlier, haha.

Doc, this is your cue to pipe in with a pic or video of Rhys bashing a Carlton player while he was at the Swans. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:57 pm 
Rod Ashman

I reckon this is the hardest job of all those who will be looking for coaches.
To find the right coach given our long term lack of success, from rookie to proven to rookie to proven to rookie coaches, with the talent on our list, with expectations from fans and heightened with the success this year of Brisbane.
I really don’t know how they are going to make this call - a case could be made for or against (and often both) about all the options I’ve heard.
I suspect we’ll be linked to everyone from Ratten, Lyon, Roos, Clarke, Scott all the way to Tom Hafey and Norm Smith.

FWIW, I don’t think we or any club can afford to pay $2m/yr for a coach, no matter how good. For starters, it would suck out the ability to attract and pay so many other off-field stars which we also need and b) I’m not sure there are many examples of a gun (premiership) coach switching for the big bucks and replicating their success (except possibly Malthouse, and we already tried that although it worked for Blight and Matthews too, I guess).

I’m not as big a fan of Paul Roos as many others seem to be. I think he pretty much comes across well in public but mostly with the Dees, he just kept them together long enough for their draft talent to start to lift them naturally which is probably what we were hoping for with Bolton.

I have always liked both Scott brothers for their toughness but love of their players. However, there seems to be too much talk about B Scott from people at North that causes me to worry.

I feel like Voss could be good for us but I’d really love to know what insiders really think of his coaching ability - he doesn’t come across as smart and assured as Buckley always has.

I was always a fan of Ratten and thought he delivered all that was asked of him but can’t see us going back to him in the modern era big personality Pres can’t just call the shots and also convince anyone of anything (eg. Walls, Parkin, Jezza...).

I don’t envy the selection panel. It will be very interesting to watch and lots at stake.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:06 pm 
Robert Walls

I think st Kilda is in just as difficult a spot as us for the exact same reasons. Although at least their crack at an experienced coach in Lyon got them to grand finals.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:35 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

camelboy wrote:
Doc, this is your cue to pipe in with a pic or video of Rhys bashing a Carlton player while he was at the Swans. :lol:

Forget a Carlton player - remember the day Rhys killed God?!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:12 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

DocSherrin III wrote:
camelboy wrote:

Forget a Carlton player - remember the day Rhys killed God?!

I love that man.

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:06 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Crucified him!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:54 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Better add Reece Shaw to the list.

:razz:

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:28 pm 
Geoff Southby

AGRO wrote:
Better add Reece Shaw to the list.

:razz:

And put a solid strike through Bradley David Walter Scott. The Kangas are playing a lot better without him.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:01 pm 
Bruce Doull

Do not go anywhere near Ross Lyon

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:03 pm 
Horrie Clover

If only Teague could get the boys ready from the first bounce, we would need no one else

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1634 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 82  Next