Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 1:50 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1634 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58 ... 82  Next

Who should be Carlton's next coach?
Teague 48%  48%  [ 125 ]
B Scott 2%  2%  [ 4 ]
Clarkson 13%  13%  [ 34 ]
Ratten 13%  13%  [ 33 ]
Voss 7%  7%  [ 18 ]
Malthouse 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Walls 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Caracella 3%  3%  [ 9 ]
Longmuir 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
Barker 0%  0%  [ 1 ]
Leppitsch 0%  0%  [ 1 ]
Mitchell 3%  3%  [ 7 ]
Bassett 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
Burns 2%  2%  [ 6 ]
Roos 3%  3%  [ 8 ]
Other 5%  5%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 262
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:55 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

DocSherrin III wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:
OK, so we’ve established that we may, or may not, have won more games this year if we’d got Shiel instead of Setterfield and/or Stocker, but not necessarily and maybe it would have been instead of Walsh, who might have, but who hasn’t, or not necessarily, or I'm not at able to say whether he has, there would have been which, had it occurred, on which I cannot comment, would now have been decided, if it had, that they would now do.

Now we’ve cleared that up, let’s go back to talking about who our next coach will be.

Thank you Sir Humphrey... :wink:

Courageous.

:lol:

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:44 am 
Harry Vallence

Stone Free wrote:
BigKev wrote:
Cazzesman wrote:
I think it will be down to Ratten and Teague. Teague doesn't need a wiser head. He is 11 years in the Coaching system and has seen 5 AFL clubs at work. The CV is big enough if he is chosen.

If he gets the gig it will be all about the support he gets from above that will make or break. If the Big guns are just 95% into him that that won't be enough. It's 110% or nada.

Ratts always gave me the impression he most certainly had the smarts but his failings were the lack of support from a few immediately above. Ratts was young and time was short back then. He was all about the footy and less about the politics of being a Coach. I observed he was abit knee jerk and manic to things not going well early on. I don't think he was trusting enough to accept the ideas of others and Carlton at that time was all over the shop with very little money. Only a few years earlier they were about to hand the front door keys back to the AFL.

With maturity and the wisdom of Clarkson in his back pocket, I'm hearing from a relative he is far more mellow than back in 2007. Just as smart but far more rounded and wise to the 'Big Picture' of being an AFL Coach.

Regards Cazzesman

Totally agree. Either back him fully or don't, (too many cooks ... etc). Personally I would from what I've seen and heard so far.

I'd still like to hear more about the Bolton appointment. Was it a mistake or not? If they can't decide that and are going to employ the same process, (possibly with the same people), to choose the next coach then how are going we going to be any more confident of a good decision?

I suspect that Bolton was more a positive than a negative and did a lot to improve the culture of the club after MM. It seems to me that had they parted ways at the end of 2018 it could've been very amicable and had that feeling of "a job well done".

Bolton had Neil Craig for a couple of years, and the wheels really fell off when he left. That being said, from what I've seen, I don't think Teague needs a 'mentor'.

Misconception: Craig was there for all of 2017. Why did we only win 1 of our last 10 games that year?

Wheels fell off mid 2017 for mine

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:01 am 
Harry Vallence

Sidefx wrote:
Steve_C7 wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
GreatEx wrote:
Hasn't Shiel been a bit Shiet for the dopers?

I guess that depends on what is Shiet.
(Info off of the AFL stats on the phone app.)

Some of his positive averages so far this year:
Disposals: 26.1 @ 66%
Contested Pos: 11.3
Uncontested Pos: 14.5
Score involvements: 5.6
Marks: 3.1
Clearances: 5.4
w/Centre Clearances: 2.7
Tackles: 5.1
Inside 50s: 5.1
One percenters: 1.1

As a comparison with Crippa:
Disposals: 26.9 @ 75%
Contested Pos: 16.3
Uncontested Pos: 10.9
Score involvements: 5.6
Marks: 3.3
Clearances: 7.9
w/Centre Clearances: 3.3
Tackles: 6.1
Inside 50s: 2.7
One percenters: 1.5

I guess I would want a bit better than 66%DE for a mid who is more of an outside uncontested player.

Giving up what Essendon*** did for a guy that gets the ball on the outside and burns it I am entirely grateful that we got setterfield and stocker instead.

That might be true but we wouldn't have paid what * did. In-fact if the rumours are true we could've stole him if we gave up Walsh (glad we didn't though).

As for 66%DE........our mids are:
Walsh 66%
E.Curnow 66%
Murphy 67%
Setterfield 61%
Dow 64%
SPS 69%

Not really setting the world on fire.

The fact is and going by stats alone. We could've had a better year if we had Shiel in the middle to support Crippa as an inside and outside mid (as per his disposals). Not to mention the size of him compared to our kids. Plus who knows if he would've been better with the support of Cripps vs the support he gets at the other mob*.

I don't like DE as a rule as its a bit subjective as what makes an effective disposal, turnovers are what cost most as this kills team defence, so how do our mids stack up to Shiel?

Walsh 90 total, ave 5.3
E.Curnow 74, 4.4
Murphy 62, 4.4
Setterfield 52, 4
Dow 55, 3.4
SPS 54, 3.2
Shiel 87, 5.4

None of our mids turn the ball over more often than shiel and it's not much surprise that a kid 18 games into his career turns it over the most and even then less often than Shiel who is 150+ games into his.

Interesting that Dow gets bagged quite a bit of this site for his disposal and yet turns the ball over the least of all our true mids :confused:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:06 am 
Bruce Doull

Steve_C7 wrote:
I don't like DE as a rule as its a bit subjective as what makes an effective disposal, turnovers are what cost most as this kills team defence, so how do our mids stack up to Shiel?

Stats can be useful but they can also be misleading.
At the game on Saturday there was a hacked kick forward that was marked by a GC player who was standing alone a few metres in front of the nearest Carlton player. On the scoreboard when they flashed up his stats it had been counted as a "contested mark".

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:13 am 
Geoff Southby

Rod Waddell wrote:
Stone Free wrote:
BigKev wrote:
Cazzesman wrote:
I think it will be down to Ratten and Teague. Teague doesn't need a wiser head. He is 11 years in the Coaching system and has seen 5 AFL clubs at work. The CV is big enough if he is chosen.

If he gets the gig it will be all about the support he gets from above that will make or break. If the Big guns are just 95% into him that that won't be enough. It's 110% or nada.

Ratts always gave me the impression he most certainly had the smarts but his failings were the lack of support from a few immediately above. Ratts was young and time was short back then. He was all about the footy and less about the politics of being a Coach. I observed he was abit knee jerk and manic to things not going well early on. I don't think he was trusting enough to accept the ideas of others and Carlton at that time was all over the shop with very little money. Only a few years earlier they were about to hand the front door keys back to the AFL.

With maturity and the wisdom of Clarkson in his back pocket, I'm hearing from a relative he is far more mellow than back in 2007. Just as smart but far more rounded and wise to the 'Big Picture' of being an AFL Coach.

Regards Cazzesman

Totally agree. Either back him fully or don't, (too many cooks ... etc). Personally I would from what I've seen and heard so far.

I'd still like to hear more about the Bolton appointment. Was it a mistake or not? If they can't decide that and are going to employ the same process, (possibly with the same people), to choose the next coach then how are going we going to be any more confident of a good decision?

I suspect that Bolton was more a positive than a negative and did a lot to improve the culture of the club after MM. It seems to me that had they parted ways at the end of 2018 it could've been very amicable and had that feeling of "a job well done".

Bolton had Neil Craig for a couple of years, and the wheels really fell off when he left. That being said, from what I've seen, I don't think Teague needs a 'mentor'.

Misconception: Craig was there for all of 2017. Why did we only win 1 of our last 10 games that year?

I think the answer is pretty obvious. Kids(1st-3rd year players depending on size/position). Unless they're Sam Walsh freakish, they all start to drop off mid year. Plus in our case, we already had a lack of depth and some of our key A-Graders were injured (e.g.Crippa from Rd17 onwards and Ed Curnow Rd15 onwards). Our "developed" talent has been overestimated for the last 3 years and so to our depth. At the end of the 2017 season even blind Freddy could see we lacked mature age talent in the middle, that's why the club went for Rockcliff and Smith. Then we went for Shiel in 2018 and now Coniglio in 2019. The fact is, we still need A-grade mature age talent to compliment the "developing" kids and the coach we appoint needs to be able to attract this talent and use it to nurture/compliment their development.

And as aboynamedsue has pointed out, the only thing clear about above comments to my Shiel post is most don't want to reflect and think about where we could've been with more mature age talent this year. And then using this information to make a non emotional decision for the next coach that will best fit our club at this point in time of our development. Personally, I'm not concerned about being all warm and fuzzy in having an ex Carlton player at the helm, I want a coach that will take us to a premiership. And a scenario with Teague and a mentor, is pure nonsense. You either back him or you don't. I think as a supporter base we have become too conditioned in trying to unearth the next unproven talent, be it coach or player. That time is now over and it's time to target proven performers. And as for the players approaching the board, since when has it made good business sense to let the tail wag the dog. IMO, only well drilled, structured teams win premierships in the modern era. Fun, no pressure football is for junior levels, not the AFL. I also believe with the right coach and 2 A-grade mature mids we will be playing finals next year or just missing out at the worst.

So I hope I'm wrong, but my fear for the remainder of the year is this (especially after watching the GC game):
We will only win 1 more game at the most.
We will receive a 10 goal flogging (or more).

My coach order is:
1.Clarkson
2.Another proven coach (hopefully not Scott).
3.Ratten
4.Teague
5.Other unproven

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:45 pm 
Harry Vallence

Rod Waddell wrote:

Cripps and Ed out injured

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:10 pm 
Rod Ashman

Sidefx wrote:
My coach order is:
1.Clarkson
3.Ratten
4.Teague
5.Other unproven

Is Clarkson even getable Sidefx?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:22 pm 
Geoff Southby

CFC8795 wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
My coach order is:
1.Clarkson
3.Ratten
4.Teague
5.Other unproven

Is Clarkson even getable Sidefx?

If we go by whispers, then anything is possible I guess. IMO All personal biases aside, we'd be mad not to have a crack at him (I reckon they're lining Mitchell up for his job anyway). Much like we'd be mad not to have a crack at some of the top players names that have been thrown around. Contracted or not. Especially now some people in the media are toting us as an upcoming club and using words like exciting, potential etc.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:39 pm 
Robert Walls

The list rebuild was cooked 8 weeks ago. Now we’re exciting. A week is a long time in footy, 8 weeks an eternity.

Teague has another 5 weeks to audition. Use all 5 weeks to assess.

Just not Ross Lyon.... please.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:27 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

x2.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:51 pm 
Craig Bradley

We hear plenty of talk about ‘destination’ clubs from the players perspective, but what about coaches?

Will assistants sign on to work with a young (relatively) senior coach, with the prospect of remaining an assistant for at least the next five years?

Out of that group, how many would be willing to come to our club and subject themselves to our ‘family business’?

I guess that’s where the Lyon and Clarkson camps get plenty of oxygen.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:52 pm 
Geoff Southby

[quote="toddkurnski"]The list rebuild was cooked 8 weeks ago. Now we’re exciting. A week is a long time in footy, 8 weeks an eternity.

Teague has another 5 weeks to audition. Use all 5 weeks to assess.

Just not Ross Lyon.... please.[/quote]

Might need to tell the powers to be that.
We seem to be shopping around everywhere for players or the media are trying to connect us to just about everyone. Can't see it being as big as the last 3 seasons but we will most likely bring in 5-8 new players, mostly already in the system.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:36 pm 
Harry Vallence

Stamos wrote:
Rod Waddell wrote:

Cripps and Ed out injured

I’ll raise you: Gibbs & Docherty

Both played in that period

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:17 pm 
Geoff Southby

Next 5 weeks is the big test.
Get a few pumpings and people might start thinking twice about Teague.
But if we manage to sneak a few wins, will be hard to go past him.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:36 am 
Rod Ashman

For me the equation remains the same:
If we win 6 games under Teague, he gets the job. (2 out of the next 5 which would mean probably beating one of the better teams and also StK which will probably be harder than it appeared a few weeks go)
If we win 5 under Teague he would be in a very strong position but might be susceptible under the pre-existing preference of some decision makers for another coach.
If we win 4 games, it is par and Teague is 50-50 to win the job. Although, at ‘50-50’, I think the decision swings against (vs the scenarios above where I think it swings slightly in his favour).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:20 am 
Bruce Doull

Dominator_7 wrote:

Yep, it's a pretty simple equation really.

Unlike the Ratten caretaker period where he would have been judged negatively for wins, haha.

It's been said before, but if the players really want Teague then their performance (and hopefully the odd win) should help Teague get the gig.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:16 am 
Wayne Johnston

camelboy wrote:
Dominator_7 wrote:

Yep, it's a pretty simple equation really.

Unlike the Ratten caretaker period where he would have been judged negatively for wins, haha.

It's been said before, but if the players really want Teague then their performance (and hopefully the odd win) should help Teague get the gig.

I think that it is liberating for the players and coach that we traded our number one pick. There’s no incentive for anyone at the club if we lose games.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:40 am 
Stephen Kernahan

My expectations are super low. I'll change my vote now from other to Teague because fence sitting is a bit silly in this instance and I think an environment where the players have genuine belief in a coach is important. Win/Loss for the remainder of the year doesn't matter. Players attitude/effort and proactive matchday coaching counts for much, much more, but I'm not convinced that the decision makers have a good reading on that.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:33 pm 
Geoff Southby

Playing golf yesterday the whisper is Ross Lyon will be Carlton’s senior coach in 2020
I hope this not true

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:36 pm 
Bruce Doull

keogh wrote:
Playing golf yesterday the whisper is Ross Lyon will be Carlton’s senior coach in 2020
I hope this not true

I'd get new golf partners.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1634 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58 ... 82  Next