Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 12:17 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1094 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 55  Next
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:01 am 
Ken Hunter

So did any of the commentators say poor Carlton they need help?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:01 am 
John James

Lol, Good one Kezza.

Only Carlton cheats. Only Gold Coast need support. Rinse and repeat.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:33 am 
Bert Deacon

Donstuie wrote:
kezza wrote:
Donstuie wrote:
Bruce Mathieson seriously just needs to STFU

What is he saying now?

He’s saying that clubs in our situation should get a higher salary cap than the rest of the comp.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... ac3962619c

Quote:
BILLIONAIRE Carlton powerbroker Bruce Mathieson says extra salary cap cash is the only way to resuscitate flatlining clubs.

The pokies king and Blues benefactor has proposed a plan that would hand underperforming AFL teams an additional $1 million-a-season to splurge on players.

“I’m talking about any side that hasn’t won X-amount of games over three years,” Mathieson said.

“People have asked what can the league do for these sort of clubs? And my opinion is, it doesn’t matter what you do, it all comes down to money.

I get where he’s coming from, but as if we need more excuses for more “why don’t they just cheat the cap like they always do HUR HUR HURRRR!” and “Why should they be rewarded for ineptitude??” BS.
Maybe they could call it COLA (Cost Of Losing Allowance)?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:36 am 
Geoff Southby

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:08 am 
Bruce Doull

dlb99 wrote:
jamespul65 wrote:
PP will help big time especially if u choose the right player ,we could fill a position on the field for the next 10 yrs.

Or the player could be Troy Menzel and out of the league in three years. It is a crap-shoot. The more darts the better, but one pick by themselves is unlikely to change the fate of a club.

Best we work with what we got, we draft as well as we can, we fix our fitness/injury management, we improve our development processes and brick by brick we will get better.

Note, I do expect we will get some AFL assistance, be it mid-1st, or end-1st or something else.

"No, I don't want that free lotto ticket because I might not win anything"

:confused:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:16 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

So Richmond are going to get Lynch. Hawthorn apparently leading the race for Shiel and Geelong going to get Dahlhaus... but heaven forbid Carlton get an extra draft pick. @#$%&! this competition :mad:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:20 pm 
Geoff Southby

I think all Carlton supporters in Melbourne need to organise a boycott at the AFL HQ. With the above message.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:00 am 
Ken Hunter

A boycott of what? The rest of the afl would be quite happy if we ceased to show up / exist.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:02 am 
Bruce Doull

GreatEx wrote:
A boycott of what? The rest of the afl would be quite happy if we ceased to show up / exist.

Think Sidefx means picket.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:57 am 
Ken Hunter

Boycott Pickett? I don't know, I think he deserves another season. :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:10 am 
Harry Vallence

GreatEx wrote:
Boycott Pickett? I don't know, I think he deserves another season. :D

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:52 pm 
Geoff Southby

GreatEx wrote:

Boycott the FA and PP stance of the AFL and the uneven comp it is creating.

The rest of the AFL might, but the AFL won't be happy. We are still the 9th most supported club even with our lack of success.

And yes Boycott the AFL but Pickett the office. Plus he should at least get one more year. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:04 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

The_Cranium wrote:
So Richmond are going to get Lynch. Hawthorn apparently leading the race for Shiel and Geelong going to get Dahlhaus... but heaven forbid Carlton get an extra draft pick. @#$%&! this competition :mad:

Why - we used to be like that! The reason nobody wants to come to us is because we're crap - and we only have ourselves to blame really. It's been decades of miss managment and arrogence that has gotten us to this point.

If you were a player - would you want to come to us? I wouldn't. We're a basketcase and we're still making silly decisions. It doesn't install a lot of confidence within a player!

Im against the whole priroity pick. Hate em! Id much rather Carlton get the shit together internally first. I mean - halfway through the year we were like "Nah we're all good - we don't need a priorty pick"........ then a few months later we've changed our minds? That's embarrasing! :banghead:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:53 pm 
Rod Ashman

I wouldn’t be so concerned about the players other teams are leading the race for.
I’d love to get Shiel b/c I think he is exactly what we need.
However, I don’t think Richmond will be that much better with Lynch.
I don’t think Dalhaus will help Geelong.

I mean, Geelong has brought in two of the best midfielders of the past 10years to an already competitive list and have not really improved.
Port Adelaide went backwards after spending the farm on 3 highly prized recruits for which the team were greatly lauded.
Similar at Essendon*, although they at least look like they were finally getting it together - but still underperformed relative to expectation after bringing in Stringer, Devon Smith & Adam Saad. (After being greatly assisted with high picks as reward for being punished for heating.)

While I’m happy to accept a PP, and we need all the talent we can get, there are much greater rewards to be found elsewhere which I really hope we are more focused on. E.g. player development, game plan, the best assistants, medical etc... and, yes, culture.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:17 pm 
Ken Hunter

17th Premiership wrote:
I wouldn’t be so concerned about the players other teams are leading the race for.
I’d love to get Shiel b/c I think he is exactly what we need.
However, I don’t think Richmond will be that much better with Lynch.
I don’t think Dalhaus will help Geelong.

I mean, Geelong has brought in two of the best midfielders of the past 10years to an already competitive list and have not really improved.
Port Adelaide went backwards after spending the farm on 3 highly prized recruits for which the team were greatly lauded.
Similar at Essendon**, although they at least look like they were finally getting it together - but still underperformed relative to expectation after bringing in Stringer, Devon Smith & Adam Saad. (After being greatly assisted with high picks as reward for being punished for heating.)

While I’m happy to accept a PP, and we need all the talent we can get, there are much greater rewards to be found elsewhere which I really hope we are more focused on. E.g. player development, game plan, the best assistants, medical etc... and, yes, culture.

Here, here. :clap:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:26 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

It was more a comment on the way the upper echelon of the competition are allowed to stay at the top and keep their foot on perennial cellar dwellers throats. Endorsed by the AFL and cheered on by a sycophantic media. I don't believe the PP is the panacea to our problems but it is the only advantage we have available to us when big-name players continue to go top 10 clubs. Yet at the mere mention of it, these bastards go berzerk about the unfairness of it all. The inequity of it all does my head in.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:50 am 
Stephen Kernahan

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/car ... 500fh.html

Carlton fronts the AFL Commission, priority pick on agenda
Peter Ryan
By Peter Ryan
29 August 2018 — 11:44am

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Send via Email

Leave a comment

Carlton presented to the AFL Commission on Wednesday morning as the league contemplates what special assistance the club should receive to help make the Blues more competitive as they come off their worst season since 1901.

The Blues delegation of CEO Cain Liddle and president Mark LoGiudice presented their strategic plan to the commission and discussed their strategy for on-field improvement, including the potential of being granted a priority pick.
Carlton president Mark LoGiudice fronted the commission alongside CEO Cain Liddle.

Carlton president Mark LoGiudice fronted the commission alongside CEO Cain Liddle.
Photo: AAP

Although the meeting with Carlton was not out of the ordinary, as the AFL Commission catches up with a club each time it sits, the discussion carried a more urgent edge given the Blues' performance in 2018.

Any priority pick, if granted, could be crucial to the club's chances of re-establishing some depth in the range of players aged between 22 and 26, given they are loath to relinquish pick No.1 and their next pick is 25, as a result of swapping picks with the Crows last year when trading Bryce Gibbs.

However Fairfax Media understands the discussion focused broadly on the ways the AFL would be able to assist, including fixtures or other components of the football program.

Such discussion was only a precursor to any decision being made on the pick, with the AFL executive having to make recommendations to the AFL Commission about whether any special assistance should be granted and what form it should take. The commission decision is not expected until the next time they meet - on the Monday before the grand final.

The club has resisted calls for the Blues to apply for special assistance with Liddle telling Fairfax Media in May "we got ourselves into the situation and we’ll get ourselves out of it".

However that declaration came after round 10 and the Blues went on to finish the season with just two wins for the first time since 1901 and win the wooden spoon with a percentage of 59.3.

They have since softened their stance somewhat with the AFL keen to ensure they are more competitive in 2019 given the Blues have now played 55 consecutive games without reaching 100 points and suffered three losses by more than 100 points this season.

Although opposition clubs have expressed concern at handing out a selection to the Blues given they had a deliberate strategy to trade out mature players for draft picks and have stockpiled young talent such as Patrick Cripps, Paddy Dow, Charlie Curnow, Sam Petrevski-Seton, Jacob Weitering, Lochie O'Brien, Caleb Marchbank and Lachie Plowman, the lack of competitiveness has not only affected television ratings in 2018 but the fairness of the fixture.

One solution potentially being explored is granting a pick to be traded or giving lower clubs access to mature-aged talent.

The Blues' performances meant attendances were down this season on projections but they are still expected to make a profit and are in a good position off-field to maximise returns when their on-field performance improves.

Carlton have been linked with Adelaide Crows forward Mitch McGovern, who requested a trade from the Crows on Tuesday despite having two years remaining on a three-year contract, which he signed this time last year.

A priority pick appears critical to the Blues' hopes of securing the forward although they could also offer a future selection to the Crows if they wanted McGovern.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:20 pm 
John Nicholls

I hope MlG is better behind closed doors than he is in front of a camera.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:52 pm 
Bruce Doull

robertbb wrote:

I think that's a given. :razz:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:17 pm 
John Nicholls

camelboy wrote:
robertbb wrote:

I think that's a given. :razz:

Mate, what you do in your own time...... :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1094 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 55  Next