Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:14 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1094 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 55  Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:31 am 
Harry Vallence

I wonder if Carlton already had these discussions earlier in the year and didn't like the sounds from AFL house and hence the thanks but no thanks statement

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:09 am 
Bruce Doull

https://twitter.com/RalphyHeraldSun/sta ... 1617204225

Can't tell you anymore, because no subscription.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:22 am 
John Nicholls

If we get boned by the AFL on this I reckon I'm just about done.

Free agency to continue unchanged, making strong clubs stronger, but one extra pick of an 18 year old kid in a deep draft who may or may not become all he's cracked up to be is apparently the biggest problem facing the AFL today.

@#$%&! them. They're destroying the comp, and a FOUNDATION club - CARLTON - that is older than the New York Yankees, older than Manchester United. I'll be watching Olinda/Ferny Creek in the Dandenongs on a Saturday afternoon with a coffee in my hand, if I watch footy at all.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:11 pm 
Ken Hunter

camelboy wrote:

https://twitter.com/RalphyHeraldSun/sta ... 1617204225

Can't tell you anymore, because no subscription.

It was Ian Collins who was quoted as saying the told Liddle in January to apply.
He went on to say that clubs should not have to apply and the rules should be set.
It mentions four clubs. Us, GC, Brisbane and St Kilda.
It also says that St Kilda not likely to get one because the previous two years (23 wins) would go against them.
Says PP in the middle of the first round are still a possibility.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:16 pm 
Harry Vallence

If the Dogs were smart, they'd be saying that a mid-range first round priority is fair. They currently have pick 5 and 41 (before compensation picks). Rhylee West is rated at about pick 20.

We end up with a pick 10 compensation pick, package that with the pick 26 we took from them last year, and upgrade it to their pick 5 . Pick 26 after the 20% loading works out to be worth the value of pick 20. Having said that, they'll probably end up with a similar pick around 26 from whatever combination of Dahlhaus/Wallis/Roughead leaving.

Alternatively, Will Blakey is expected to have a bid as early as #7. I reckon the Swans slide next year. If we ended up with an end of first round compensation pick, I'd be happy to offer picks 20, 28 and 29 for 15, 36 and their future second rounder.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:45 pm 
Rod Ashman

A friend of mine, (Hawthorn), gave me a big talk all about how this compensation stuff is ridiculous and how you shouldn't reward clubs for poor management/performance. The AFL shouldn't be about handouts. It should encourage the weaker clubs to get their act together to improve.

Blah, blah, blah.

So I said: "Yeah f*ck it. Let's seriously make it survival of the fitness. No draft, no restrictions, no salary cap. If you can sign a player and can afford to pay then good luck to you. If you don't have the financial backing then that just gives you an incentive to get your act together and improve".

He wasn't so keen on that sort of "no handouts" philosophy. :wink:

(And no more us giving any money to poorer clubs - we're removing their incentives!!)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:37 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

It's so over-hyped this priority pick hysteria.

We can't even keep our players on the field for a reasonable portion of the H&A games let alone have a squad that will last 25 games a season.

We are a hell of a long way back. Get our house sorted out - culture, strength and conditioning, fundamental skills.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:03 am 
Craig Bradley

Maybe Rexy but if it nets us in some way for Example McGovern or Tenterfield Saddler and something else for effectively nothing given our circumstances why wouldn’t we go hard
If it nets us another Lockie OBrien type for nothing why wouldn’t we go hard

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:35 am 
Harry Vallence

frank dardew wrote:
Maybe Rexy but if it nets us in some way for Example McGovern or Tenterfield Saddler and something else for effectively nothing given our circumstances why wouldn’t we go hard
If it nets us another Lockie OBrien type for nothing why wouldn’t we go hard

Is that Peter Allen bloke a good footballer?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:49 am 
Craig Bradley

very light on his feet Rod -good at the pirouette - no sure how he goes in heavy traffic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:15 am 
Garry Crane

Rexy wrote:
It's so over-hyped this priority pick hysteria.

We can't even keep our players on the field for a reasonable portion of the H&A games let alone have a squad that will last 25 games a season.

We are a hell of a long way back. Get our house sorted out - culture, strength and conditioning, fundamental skills.

100% agreed.

There is so much we can do better with the existing squad. Begging for a priority pick will not fix our travails.

However, we are likely to get some form of assistance this off-season; let's use it wisely. But for heaven's sake we need to fix our diabolical injury and fitness regime. It has absolutely killed our club since 2012. Thankfully the CEO has commissioned an independent report and it sounds like (via the Carlton Podcast with Andy Maher) that Brad Lloyd is big on improving that area immediately.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:42 pm 
Bert Deacon

PP will help big time especially if u choose the right player ,we could fill a position on the field for the next 10 yrs.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:53 pm 
Garry Crane

jamespul65 wrote:
PP will help big time especially if u choose the right player ,we could fill a position on the field for the next 10 yrs.

Or the player could be Troy Menzel and out of the league in three years. It is a crap-shoot. The more darts the better, but one pick by themselves is unlikely to change the fate of a club.

Best we work with what we got, we draft as well as we can, we fix our fitness/injury management, we improve our development processes and brick by brick we will get better.

Note, I do expect we will get some AFL assistance, be it mid-1st, or end-1st or something else.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:21 pm 
Bruce Doull

Bruce Mathieson seriously just needs to STFU

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:27 pm 
Ken Hunter

Donstuie wrote:

What is he saying now?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:35 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Donstuie wrote:

Care to elaborate?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:36 pm 
Bruce Doull

kezza wrote:
Donstuie wrote:

What is he saying now?

He’s saying that clubs in our situation should get a higher salary cap than the rest of the comp.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... ac3962619c

Quote:
BILLIONAIRE Carlton powerbroker Bruce Mathieson says extra salary cap cash is the only way to resuscitate flatlining clubs.

The pokies king and Blues benefactor has proposed a plan that would hand underperforming AFL teams an additional $1 million-a-season to splurge on players.

“I’m talking about any side that hasn’t won X-amount of games over three years,” Mathieson said.

“People have asked what can the league do for these sort of clubs? And my opinion is, it doesn’t matter what you do, it all comes down to money.

I get where he’s coming from, but as if we need more excuses for more “why don’t they just cheat the cap like they always do HUR HUR HURRRR!” and “Why should they be rewarded for ineptitude??” BS.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:49 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Donstuie wrote:
kezza wrote:
Donstuie wrote:

What is he saying now?

He’s saying that clubs in our situation should get a higher salary cap than the rest of the comp.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... ac3962619c

Quote:
BILLIONAIRE Carlton powerbroker Bruce Mathieson says extra salary cap cash is the only way to resuscitate flatlining clubs.

The pokies king and Blues benefactor has proposed a plan that would hand underperforming AFL teams an additional $1 million-a-season to splurge on players.

“I’m talking about any side that hasn’t won X-amount of games over three years,” Mathieson said.

“People have asked what can the league do for these sort of clubs? And my opinion is, it doesn’t matter what you do, it all comes down to money.

I get where he’s coming from, but as if we need more excuses for more “why don’t they just cheat the cap like they always do HUR HUR HURRRR!” and “Why should they be rewarded for ineptitude??” BS.

Cheers

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:12 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Because paying players cash outside the salary cap is such a heinous crime compared to injecting them in the eyeballs with steroids

:roll:

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:38 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

BigKev wrote:
A friend of mine, (Hawthorn), gave me a big talk all about how this compensation stuff is ridiculous and how you shouldn't reward clubs for poor management/performance. The AFL shouldn't be about handouts. It should encourage the weaker clubs to get their act together to improve.

Blah, blah, blah.

So I said: "Yeah f*ck it. Let's seriously make it survival of the fitness. No draft, no restrictions, no salary cap. If you can sign a player and can afford to pay then good luck to you. If you don't have the financial backing then that just gives you an incentive to get your act together and improve".

He wasn't so keen on that sort of "no handouts" philosophy. :wink:

(And no more us giving any money to poorer clubs - we're removing their incentives!!)

Of course, they didn't get a PP the year they got Franklin and Roughy. It makes me spew how all the self-righteous pricks have had their PP and F/S selections before the rules were changed saying there is no need to help the lower clubs. We have a dearth of players in the 22-27 age bracket because GCS and then GWS had every second pick in the first round of the draft for years. Meanwhile FA got the clubs who were already at the top their early picks for free.
Lets give Richmond a PP in Lynch. He'd probably go in the top five of this draft. It's just another free kick for them. But to give Carlton a PP would upset the balance.
Nobody is arguing that case at all.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1094 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 55  Next