Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat May 25, 2024 12:41 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:54 pm 
Bruce Doull

Oh my......

i think I'm leaning towards agreeing with Sydeney...
this is weird...!

kindest regards tommi

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:00 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

billc3 wrote:
The Club can't vote.... But it cut through the sh!t and says, this is about equality.... Exactly what they should say.

Absolutely.
What a load of @#$%&! carry on. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:11 pm 
Harry Vallence

Nothing to do with the club

#imayes

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:29 pm 
Bruce Doull

Ya know.....

this is one of those times where we have yes voters....!

and then we have..."YEEEEES VOTERS"....!

I've got into a rigorous discussion with a friend...and
we've both voted yes...go figure...!

kindest regards tommi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:36 pm 
Bruce Doull

Did your friend vote more yes, or just press harder while using the pen?

I get the comments people are making about the club not being so forthright.

However, I don't think it would be too much to ask for the club to say we support equality and therefore support the yes campaign.

But, as noted, maybe they just read the membership.

We have our politicians to thank for this, remember. :lol: :banghead:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:40 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

https://twitter.com/jordanwwitte/status/910406496764047360

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:28 pm 
Ken Hunter

The club shouldn't go all political so in essence I'm happy with their position but in reality it should of said nothing.

A garden to nurture and protect

#DopeThenStash

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:55 pm 
Rod Ashman

I don't have a need for the club to make a stand on this. I gather that registered voters are all adults and ought be quite capable of making a decision without being guided by a corporate entity whose primary function is money/entertainment.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:57 pm 
Horrie Clover

It's pretty clear the club supports the yes vote but respects people's rights to have their own say. I would think the clubs position is irrelevant and therefore saying nothing is better than saying something, but if something had to be said, their statement is spot on.

Personally I voted yes and the afl and clubs should stick to football.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:33 pm 
Garry Crane

nck wrote:
Wojee wrote:
Given the majority of the responses on the Club's Facebook page they seem to know their audience.

Agree.

I've never felt this way before but I think the only thing we can do is put our money where our mouth is. I've been an AFL Club Support member for about 15 years (counting me as a Carlton member) but I've sent an email to them asking how I can switch that to another club for a year, or to not be a Club Support member at all. I'll still attend, but this trainwreck of a club does not deserve any more than that.

I disagree. With respect, there is no point to your statement nor suggestion.

Separately, I agree the club had no need to make any statement. Any statement will only draw the wrath of the militant loudmouthed zealot lefties.

Last edited by BoundaryRider on Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:35 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

This will not end well.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:38 pm 
Harry Vallence

BoundaryRider wrote:
nck wrote:
Wojee wrote:
Given the majority of the responses on the Club's Facebook page they seem to know their audience.

Agree.

I've never felt this way before but I think the only thing we can do is put our money where our mouth is. I've been an AFL Club Support member for about 15 years (counting me as a Carlton member) but I've sent an email to them asking how I can switch that to another club for a year, or to not be a Club Support member at all. I'll still attend, but this trainwreck of a club does not deserve any more than that.

I disagree. With respect, there is no point to your statement nor suggestion./quote]

What do you mean no point to my statement?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:40 pm 
Harry Vallence

Jamo is bagging the club...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:40 pm 
Garry Crane

nck wrote:
BoundaryRider wrote:
nck wrote:
Wojee wrote:

Agree.

I disagree. With respect, there is no point to your statement nor suggestion./quote]

Your suggestion as to what we do with our money, as a means to punish the club.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:45 pm 
Harry Vallence

BoundaryRider wrote:
nck wrote:
BoundaryRider wrote:
nck wrote:
Wojee wrote:

Agree.

Fair enough.

Personally, I'll put up with a lot. I've never wavered through our crap on field years and I've been at every single Carlton Victorian game since 2001 other than when I briefly lived overseas. I'd say I'm pretty die-hard. I've never before threatened not to renew or even thought of it.

I'm not telling you or others what to do, I'm saying I'm deeply embarrassed and ashamed at the club and know that the only way I can meaningfully express that is to withdraw the few hundred a year portion of my AFL membership that goes to the club. One day our club will enter the 21st century, this was a false dawn.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:49 pm 
Craig Bradley

Wow, the overreaction to this statement from a football club are very... 2017

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:55 pm 
Wayne Johnston

billc3 wrote:
I like the statement... The Club can't vote.... But it cut through the sh!t and says, this is about equality.... Exactly what they should say.

I think it would be weird for the club to say 'I vote YES'

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

My work came out and announced they were supporting 'Yes'. Made a massive fuss about it. Didn't ask the staff and left the devout Muslims, Jews and Christians who were more 'no' than 'yes' floundering.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:03 pm 
Craig Bradley

Was at a dinner the other week and sat next to a marketing manager for a Victorian club and this subject came up. They were very chuffed that their club had taken the stance and were somewhat surprised at a lot of the "stick to your knitting"comments they copped.

I challenged them on what business was it of the club, especially as this is such a divisive issue. There is a fair chance at least 30% of the members don't share the clubs view. They wanted to compare it to domestic violence or racism, which I think is a spurious comparison. It was a robust discussion.

I'd have preferred the club said nothing, or if anything, "we respect the right to vote and trust that everyone has their say".

As Carton fans, we are a collection of people from disparate backgrounds and views that simply share something in common. And that's a football team. Lets leave it at that. One only has to see the discussions on here to see the range of views on most things.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:21 pm 
Garry Crane

AIRCAV wrote:
Was at a dinner the other week and sat next to a marketing manager for a Victorian club and this subject came up. They were very chuffed that their club had taken the stance and were somewhat surprised at a lot of the "stick to your knitting"comments they copped.

I challenged them on what business was it of the club, especially as this is such a divisive issue. There is a fair chance at least 30% of the members don't share the clubs view. They wanted to compare it to domestic violence or racism, which I think is a spurious comparison. It was a robust discussion.

I'd have preferred the club said nothing, or if anything, "we respect the right to vote and trust that everyone has their say".

As Carton fans, we are a collection of people from disparate backgrounds and views that simply share something in common. And that's a football team. Lets leave it at that. One only has to see the discussions on here to see the range of views on most things.

Ditto this.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:07 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

nck wrote:
BoundaryRider wrote:
nck wrote:
BoundaryRider wrote:
nck wrote:
[quote="Wojee"]Given the majority of the responses on the Club's Facebook page they seem to know their audience.

Agree.

Fair enough.

Personally, I'll put up with a lot. I've never wavered through our crap on field years and I've been at every single Carlton Victorian game since 2001 other than when I briefly lived overseas. I'd say I'm pretty die-hard. I've never before threatened not to renew or even thought of it.

I'm not telling you or others what to do, I'm saying I'm deeply embarrassed and ashamed at the club and know that the only way I can meaningfully express that is to withdraw the few hundred a year portion of my AFL membership that goes to the club. One day our club will enter the 21st century, this was a false dawn.[/quote]I'm deeply embarrassed and ashamed of your overreaction, perhaps read the statement again without the red mist of anger in front of your eyes.
We don't need our footy club telling us how to vote on this issue.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next