Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:15 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Centenary Match, 1992
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:18 am 
Bruce Doull

http://www.blueseum.org/Round+8%2C+1992

Your memories, not just of the game itself, but the build up.

This was before the Dreamtime match, Ess Coll Anzac Day, showdowns, & just themed rounds in general. And a Thursday night game back then was something else.

First big game in front of the new Southern Stand, old rivals, build up through the week was just massive. Not that it was a long week for us though, given we'd played Footscray on the Sunday & would have a 4 day break :eek:

Their banner was enormous, ours was stock standard.

Earl knocked people over. Sticks kicked 7. The crowd gave shit to his opponent Mick Gayfer all night. I sat at the top of the Olympic Stand & walked home up Lygon Street afterwards.

Loved it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:04 am 
formerly Blue Boots

Don't have any; I was a little tacker at the time.
But I do believe in omens. Another one of the Sadpies that we can destroy. :evil:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:15 am 
Bruce Doull

Was living overseas at the time, so missed it unfortunately. Would've been a wonderful day.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:20 am 
Geoff Southby

Was still in High School, but the game was all the talk all week.
I remember my parents wouldn't let me go to the game because it was a School night, so I ended up watching it in TV.
Sticks killed it, SOS played fiorward, it was Diesel's first good game for us after coming over from Sydney, but my fave moment was Ronnie DeIulio getting in Tony Shaw's face after kicking a goal.
Collingwood fans copped so much crap for ages after that loss, especially because we spoiled their party.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:40 am 
Harry Vallence

Yes Ron De Iulio pronounced DELLLUUUUUUULIO :lol:

Don't know why but every time I think of him it brings a smile to my face. Loved a goal and the Carlton crowd loved him.

Mate operated on his back a year or so asked him for an autograph and note for my son. Ronnie was very obliging and flattered to be asked. Ungrateful son was underwhelmed, never heard of him.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:04 pm 
Harry Vallence

Ch 7 brought back Mike Williamson, Lou Richards, and Teddy Whitten as commentators for the game.
Andrew Cavedon had his game out and dominated the ruck with Harry missing due to injury/suspension.
Filth were highly fancied and we pants them. Sticks had a good night as did diesel.
We lost to doggies on the Sunday prior when we were expected to win, so we were determined to make amends.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:09 pm 
Ken Hunter

Went with my brother and took our mum to the game. Her first and only game. She loved the atmosphere.

A garden to nurture and protect

#DopeThenStash

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:06 pm 
Adrian Gallagher

bluechucky wrote:
Went with my brother and took our mum to the game. Her first and only game. She loved the atmosphere.

Went with my Collingwood supporting brother ... had a blue at the Hilton after the game and didn't speak for 13 years ... we take our footy seriously.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:09 pm 
Harry Vallence

My Mum's last game in person.

Sat behind the Collingwood cheer squad. Carlton goaled and that group of losers started chanting and stirring each other up, not looking at the game.

By the time they finished yahooing we had goaled again and I yelled "turn around you f...heads or you'll wake up in the morning and won't know even why you f...ing lost".

Mum had never heard me swear before (and never did again).

I regret it but not much.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:21 pm 
John James

I remember it was a warm night, polo top in the beer garden of Baden Powell Hotel well after midnight. Remember Cavedon having a big game. One of those matches we were given no chance in, we had been pretty ordinary in 89,90 and 91, and were starting to get it together again in 92.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:53 pm 
Horrie Clover

I was in Year 7 and on the day I remember wearing my Carlton long sleeve no.1, slicking my hair back and pretending to be SOS during lunch time kick to kick.

On the sports grab of the Channel 7 news that night they had these two old ladies, one Blues one Pies, getting stuck into each other at work.
The Collingwood lady said, “Forget about that Silvagni, he falls down like an Autumn leaf!" She was obviously an idiot.
However the expression did stay with me as I’d never heard it before.

Apart from that and the win of course, my lasting memory is what’s already been mentioned….. Ronnie De Lulio getting stuck into Tony Shaw after a goal!

Go Blues!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 1:16 pm 
Bruce Doull

Shaw broke Ronnie's nose if memory serves.

Sent from my XT1033 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 1:44 pm 
Craig Bradley

RickJ wrote:
Yes Ron De Iulio pronounced DELLLUUUUUUULIO :lol:

Don't know why but every time I think of him it brings a smile to my face. Loved a goal and the Carlton crowd loved him.

Mate operated on his back a year or so asked him for an autograph and note for my son. Ronnie was very obliging and flattered to be asked. Ungrateful son was underwhelmed, never heard of him.

Sat near the fence in the old unloved Ponsford stand, well before it became the Pois stand and home teams used to set up base at the Punt Rd end.

Remember Ronny getting close lined by Shaw in the goal square then getting up to remonstrate... I think he was angry... hard to tell as he always had the same facial expression.

At that time, destroying Collingwood's celebrations was almost as sweet as winning a GF. Those were the days for me... when being a Carlton supporter meant something.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 4:27 pm 
Adrian Gallagher

I was at the game. I was in year 12. Think I was in the Great Southern Stand. Don't remember much about the game but was pretty damn happy after the win.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 4:29 pm 
Rod Ashman

johnny wrote:
I was in Year 7 and on the day I remember wearing my Carlton long sleeve no.1, slicking my hair back and pretending to be SOS during lunch time kick to kick.

On the sports grab of the Channel 7 news that night they had these two old ladies, one Blues one Pies, getting stuck into each other at work.
The Collingwood lady said, “Forget about that Silvagni, he falls down like an Autumn leaf!" She was obviously an idiot.
However the expression did stay with me as I’d never heard it before.

Apart from that and the win of course, my lasting memory is what’s already been mentioned….. Ronnie De Lulio getting stuck into Tony Shaw after a goal!

Go Blues!

"Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a Collingwood supporter; but I repeat myself"

Apologies to Twain.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 3:38 pm 
Geoff Southby

From memory the photos from this game were the first to be published in a newspaper in colour, or digital colour? Something like that any way. :confused:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 4:01 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Remember it clearly, took the day off work, this game was huge, fireworks before hand, commemorative beer cups, the works. Only AFL game that I can recall a flare being lit #thanksdan sticks man of the match, just destroyed them. Even Tarcson played well.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 5:42 pm 
Bruce Doull

Lowey_47 wrote:
From memory the photos from this game were the first to be published in a newspaper in colour, or digital colour? Something like that any way. :confused:

That's correct, in the age I think

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:54 pm 
Bruce Doull

CK95 wrote:
Lowey_47 wrote:

That's correct, in the age I think

Colour printing maybe, but not digital pics or digital print.

I just remember it being @#$%&! funny that we beat Collingwood. And that I enjoyed that. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 3:10 pm 
Bert Deacon

The memories of this game are quite hazy being all of 7 and half years old at the time. I wouldn’t have remembered that it was a school night if others here hadn’t mentioned it, but given it was such a big deal and the old man was beyond keen to “see us beat them again like we did 100 years ago” my attendance was a foregone conclusion. I don’t remember much about the game at all except for the delight of the Carlton faithful in spoiling the pies party and the anger of the pies fans to be on the receiving end! On a side note, I have no idea why but this was also the one and only time I ever sat in the Pavillion. What a strange experience!