Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:03 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6991 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95 ... 350  Next
 Post subject: Re: Coach Brendon Bolton
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:57 pm 
Wayne Johnston

Good post BV. I like talking about Levi in that way. Makes sense.

You would like to think that our "attack mode" will improve in the next year or two and with that our players forward of the ball will look a lot better.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:52 pm 
Rod Ashman

Crippa wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
Rexy wrote:
Wangers wrote:
Michael Jezz wrote:
I want the best forward line coach in the game. Who is that?

Based on the best offensive team Adelaide, it would be one of our former players and Northern Bullants coach, David Teague.

Don't worry about a coach just need smarter mids with better skills and decision making

It has nothing to do with the forward coach. No coach in the AFL will give you a winning forward line when you are consistently running 4 or 5 forwards against 6 or 7 defenders. Add to that 3 first or second year players out of your forward group of 5 and it's a no win situation.
That's why Casboults role is undervalued by most supporters. His job is to be a big body that get's the ball dumped on his head and not to be outmarked. Not to mention then having Charlie jumping all over him as well.
The remaining forwards are really non contributors as forwards. Their role is to provide pressure and assist in locking the ball in and pressure the exiting ball until our excess numbers can build a defensive structure and regain possession.

This structure has a number of positives. It prevents the slingshot footy that will zap our limited midfield group. It puts Casboults strengths on show to enhance his value and it puts protection around our young defenders.
Next year with increased body size and endurance in our youngsters, more players growing the depth of the midfield group and the players continually improving their decision making, we will see a change is game style and structure.

We have to keep the faith. I posted the following 5 weeks ago when we were the darlings of the media.

Quote:
This week we are the talk of the town and our players are looking the goods. After one bad loss, we will be lacking depth and have a game style that is easy to counter. :lol: Remember, 10 games ago, we weren't going to win a game this year.
As Bolton says, never get too high and never get too low. The media will do that for us.

Also to be fair, we are probably better off than any other club for injuries. We've been very fortunate to date. We'll get our turn and when we do, it will be interesting to see how we fare. And to see how we're represented in the media.

We have an AFL standard midfield group of maybe 5 at the moment. (And thats being generous) Cripps, Gibbs, Murphy, Docherty and Curnow, with up and comers. On Sunday, 2 of the 5 were injured and one other was totally tagged out of the game. Keep the faith. One or 2 additional players next year will make an enormous difference.

Quoting yourself to support your own point. That's next level. :clap:

Good calls all round though. Especially the last para. We are on the right path and the coaches are doing a good job.

Blue Vain.
Guess it's not a spelling mistake after all. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:27 am 
Stephen Kernahan

:smoking:

Last edited by Blue Vain on Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:17 am 
Bruce Doull

[Gilly]

Quoting Shane.

[/Gilly]

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:02 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Didn't try anything different tonight despite the game plan just not standing up.
It's always a problem with 'systems' people.
I think it's why Sheedy had success. And Matthews.
Plan A. PLan B if Plan A is going pear shaped.

I will never forget the day we were doing well against Essendon* and Sheedy threw Mark Johnson into the middle of the ground. Johnson had played just a few games at that stage off half back iir and he tore us a new one. Essendon* got up.

I have often lamented that we have never had a game day coach like that. Maybe not since Barassi Can't count the golden era because we didn't need to change anything but the post 95 GF era our coaches have all been systems men. This is the game and this is how we pay it.

It helps if you have the cattle but what is there to lose by trying something out if you are going to get flogged anyway? Weitering (5 touches) to the wing as a link man. Wright to the midfield. Lamb to the midfield. Fisher to HF. McKay as a stay at home FF.
Anything at all.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:12 pm 
Ken Hunter

Blue Sombrero wrote:
Didn't try anything different tonight despite the game plan just not standing up.

I will never forget the day we were doing well against Essendon** and Sheedy threw Mark Johnson into the middle of the ground. Johnson had played just a few games at that stage off half back iir and he tore us a new one. Essendon** got up.

I have often lamented that we have never had a game day coach like that. Maybe not since Barassi Can't count the golden era because we didn't need to change anything but the post 95 GF era our coaches have all been systems men. This is the game and this is how we pay it.

It helps if you have the cattle but what is there to lose by trying something out if you are going to get flogged anyway? Weitering (5 touches) to the wing as a link man. Wright to the midfield. Lamb to the midfield. Fisher to HF. McKay as a stay at home FF.
Anything at all.

:clap:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:43 am 
Harry Vallence

Listening to Bolton during his pressers, his comments are focused on the strategy.

We still don't know if he can manage a side based on the day to day changes like within a game.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:28 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Blue Sombrero wrote:

I will never forget the day we were doing well against Essendon** and Sheedy threw Mark Johnson into the middle of the ground. Johnson had played just a few games at that stage off half back iir and he tore us a new one. Essendon** got up.

Anything at all.

He made plenty of positional changes.
Marchbank-wing/HB/BP, Thomas-wing/HF, Cuningham-wing/HF/midfield, Simpson-BP/HB/wing, Fisher- HF (where you're complaining he didn't play/wing, Charlie-forward/ruck, Docherty-HB/midfield, Samo-midfield/tagger/HF, McKay was often the deep isolated forward (where you're complaining he didn't play). All the defensive match ups changed. He ran Cunningham and Lamb off half back at the centre bounces. 6,7,8 man backline, 4,5,6 man forward line.

And you're lauding Mark Johnson going into the midfield as innovation. :lol:
Instead of lamenting not having a coach like Sheedy. You should be lamenting not having a clue. Bolton is the best thing to happen to this club in 20 years.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:44 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Vain wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:

I will never forget the day we were doing well against Essendon*** and Sheedy threw Mark Johnson into the middle of the ground. Johnson had played just a few games at that stage off half back iir and he tore us a new one. Essendon*** got up.

Anything at all.

Marchbank-wing/HB/BP, Thomas-wing/HF, Cuningham-wing/HF/midfield, Simpson-BP/HB/wing, Fisher- HF (where you're complaining he didn't play/wing, Charlie-forward/ruck, Docherty-HB/midfield, Samo-midfield/tagger/HF, McKay was often the deep isolated forward (where you're complaining he didn't play). All the defensive match ups changed. He ran Cunningham and Lamb off half back at the centre bounces. 6,7,8 man backlines.

Instead of lamenting not having a coach like Sheedy. You should be lamenting not having a clue. Bolton is the best thing to happen to this club in 20 years.
Only Pagan and fill in coach Barker have a worse win/loss ratio than Bolton.
Playing is about winning all the other talk about rebuilding, progression small shoots and players are learning is just a smoke screen.
He needs to teach this side how to win. The moment he does that they will grow in confidence because right now that is what is required more than anything.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:06 am 
Rod Ashman

Please. The other coaches ( Ratten and Malthouse) had lists that were at stages of their development which meant they should win more games. They sure as hell never played 7-10 guys that were 20 and under every week. Everything Bolts is doing is about 2019 and beyond. As frustrating as it is, he shouldn't be judged on wins and losses until then...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:07 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Sydney Blue wrote:
Playing is about winning all the other talk about rebuilding, progression small shoots and players are learning is just a smoke screen.

Last night, 41% of our team were aged 20 or under! That's 9 out of 22 players. A smokescreen? :screwy:

The last time we rebuilt we bought in Glen Bowyer, Troy Longmuir, Callum Chambers, David Teague, Digby Morrel, Barnaby French, Brett Johnson, Mick Martyn etc etc.
Finally the club has the guts to rebuild properly instead of taking short cuts. Perhaps we could be losing by less if we play Smedts or Gorringe instead of Fisher or Harry but we're getting games into the kids. It will pay us back in the future.

Credit to the club for having the courage to see it through. Even if some supporters don't.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:23 am 
Rod Ashman

Yep... we must stay the course...no attempted quick fixes. It's a brave new blue world.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:45 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Vain wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:

Last night, 41% of our team were aged 20 or under! That's 9 out of 22 players. A smokescreen? :screwy:

The last time we rebuilt we bought in Glen Bowyer, Troy Longmuir, Callum Chambers, David Teague, Digby Morrel, Barnaby French, Brett Johnson, Mick Martyn etc etc.
Finally the club has the guts to rebuild properly instead of taking short cuts. Perhaps we could be losing by less if we play Smedts or Gorringe instead of Fisher or Harry but we're getting games into the kids. It will pay us back in the future.

Credit to the club for having the courage to see it through. Even if some supporters don't.
You watch the NB more than most.
Kruezer out next week Casboult into ruck.
Will KJ come in after kicking 4 or will Macreadie come back and Weiters moved forward.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:22 am 
Harry Vallence

Blue Vain wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:

I will never forget the day we were doing well against Essendon*** and Sheedy threw Mark Johnson into the middle of the ground. Johnson had played just a few games at that stage off half back iir and he tore us a new one. Essendon*** got up.

Anything at all.

Marchbank-wing/HB/BP, Thomas-wing/HF, Cuningham-wing/HF/midfield, Simpson-BP/HB/wing, Fisher- HF (where you're complaining he didn't play/wing, Charlie-forward/ruck, Docherty-HB/midfield, Samo-midfield/tagger/HF, McKay was often the deep isolated forward (where you're complaining he didn't play). All the defensive match ups changed. He ran Cunningham and Lamb off half back at the centre bounces. 6,7,8 man backline, 4,5,6 man forward line.

Well said BV.
Patience is something Carlton supporters need to have.
I bet we'll look back at this thread in 2 years time and most will look silly.
Stay the course we are on.
We are coming from way back because of the draft failures we have had.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:36 am 
Stephen Silvagni

they don't play positions any more they play negative or attacking roles and zones

if you over-do the negating congested style trying to protect the scoreboard you risk stripping the natural flair and instincts of the talented kids you hope will bring success

not sold yet, time will tell...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:49 am 
Ken Hunter

I will say that I am very happy we are playing the kids. I've mentioned multiple time this must be precedent. I'm not happy however with our setups forward of the ball and our chipping game plan. We have taken away a lot of run and carry. I feel we are too defensive right now and that is my biggest concern and was hoping once McKay came in to see a more stay home forward from us with 2 geniune KP and runningi. That hasn't happened and it concerns me.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:25 am 
Craig Bradley

When we tried to play run and carry at the start of the year we were absolutely horrible. It's not surprising they pulled it back after that. We were on our way to a 0 win season. I'm sure we'll continue to try and develop our attacking footy over the next couple of years.

To be honest I'm far more positive about our forward stocks then I was at the start of the year. Charlie looks like he's going to be a gun. SOJ is developing nicely. Harry has looked very promising the last 2 weeks. And Weitering and Pickett looked very promising up forward in preseason.

I'm expecting a horrible finish to the year. But I'm very impressed with how Bolton and the club are handling things. His post game pressers are brilliant in the circumstances. He's positive, but sets high expectations on the players. He's honest and courteous. And he's clearly working to a long term strategy.

All we ever seemed to get from Ratts was 'we didn't come to play'. And Malthouse was always fighting with the journalists.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:37 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Rexy wrote:
they don't play positions any more they play negative or attacking roles and zones

if you over-do the negating congested style trying to protect the scoreboard you risk stripping the natural flair and instincts of the talented kids you hope will bring success

not sold yet, time will tell...

:clap:
This is what BV doesn't understand.
It's why he can list a player playing three positions at once and then say others have no idea.
Anybody who thinks that debacle last night where Geelong players just ran through the gaps as though the boys were cardboard cutouts and then says BB mad a million telling changes was watching through rose coloured glasses.

I am all for the Bolton journey. I am patient but at the same time, watching Gibbs get tagged out of the game two weeks in a row and letting it happen is not a good look. I've seen the pre-68 era where we got flogged every week until Barassi came. I know it takes a few years but that doesn't mean the coach needs to have just one plan that doesn't work along the way.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:49 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Blue Vain wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:

Anything at all.

Did you actually read the post before you commented?
I used Sheedy and Matthews as coaches who took risks. Tried something on the spot. Won flags. I never said I want a coach like Sheedy at all. I lament the fact we just go through the same motions week after week. I asked before the game for the third or fourth week in a row why we never use the corridor. How easy is it for an opposition coach to know we never use the corridor and to defend that?
Last night we went down the middle once and it was a coast to coast goal. Once.
Curnow took a few boundary line and stoppage hit outs when he was in the vicinity. That isn't moving him into the ruck/midfield. Cunningham had one or two brief runs at the centre bounce including one super clearance. That isn't moving him to the midfield. i could go on.

You can call me anything you like. I don't give a stuff. I've been playing, coaching and watching footy since I was ten. I turn 67 next Tuesday. I've seen the best and the worst of the club in that time so unless you've been on deck that long don't insinuate I or people like me are jumping off.

I could tell you you know nothing but that would just reduce me to your level.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:54 am 
Stephen Kernahan

scottopee wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
Rexy wrote:
Wangers wrote:
Michael Jezz wrote:
I want the best forward line coach in the game. Who is that?

Based on the best offensive team Adelaide, it would be one of our former players and Northern Bullants coach, David Teague.

Don't worry about a coach just need smarter mids with better skills and decision making

It has nothing to do with the forward coach. No coach in the AFL will give you a winning forward line when you are consistently running 4 or 5 forwards against 6 or 7 defenders. Add to that 3 first or second year players out of your forward group of 5 and it's a no win situation.
That's why Casboults role is undervalued by most supporters. His job is to be a big body that get's the ball dumped on his head and not to be outmarked. Not to mention then having Charlie jumping all over him as well.
The remaining forwards are really non contributors as forwards. Their role is to provide pressure and assist in locking the ball in and pressure the exiting ball until our excess numbers can build a defensive structure and regain possession.

This structure has a number of positives. It prevents the slingshot footy that will zap our limited midfield group. It puts Casboults strengths on show to enhance his value and it puts protection around our young defenders.
Next year with increased body size and endurance in our youngsters, more players growing the depth of the midfield group and the players continually improving their decision making, we will see a change is game style and structure.

We have to keep the faith. I posted the following 5 weeks ago when we were the darlings of the media.

Quote:
This week we are the talk of the town and our players are looking the goods. After one bad loss, we will be lacking depth and have a game style that is easy to counter. :lol: Remember, 10 games ago, we weren't going to win a game this year.
As Bolton says, never get too high and never get too low. The media will do that for us.

Also to be fair, we are probably better off than any other club for injuries. We've been very fortunate to date. We'll get our turn and when we do, it will be interesting to see how we fare. And to see how we're represented in the media.

We have an AFL standard midfield group of maybe 5 at the moment. (And thats being generous) Cripps, Gibbs, Murphy, Docherty and Curnow, with up and comers. On Sunday, 2 of the 5 were injured and one other was totally tagged out of the game. Keep the faith. One or 2 additional players next year will make an enormous difference.

Yep well said!

Yes, it was.
An objective post for a change.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6991 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95 ... 350  Next