Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:15 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6991 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160 ... 350  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 10:25 pm 
Bruce Doull

Heavs wrote:
Our top drawer medical staff can sort it

1–2 weeks.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 7:20 pm 
Rod Ashman

Blue Sombrero wrote:
robertbb wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:
What a fantastic result for us. I am so happy we only lost by 5 goals. It wasn't representative of the way we played.
Our 109 point loss to Melbourne the week before is looking good as well after they thrashed last year's grand final loser. It gives perspective.
And how good it is that Cripps is the fastest ever to 1000 clearances and that Charlie is going to be a star and Fisher is the best teenager in the comp?
I couldn't be happier than I am with the club sitting in 18th spot, poised for an assault on the comp next season when we get some players back.

Not to mention first pick! That's been what we've lacked the last 10 years.

We have to replace Gibbs or we won't have enough #1 picks in the side.

Give it a few months.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:47 pm 
Bruce Doull

Stand-by, people :razz:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:05 pm 
Ken Hunter

The Duke wrote:
Stand-by, people :razz:

So far, not a lot.

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:06 pm 
Bruce Doull

We desperately need someone in the coaching panel , even alongside Bolton with some better bloody tactics and game strategy

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:07 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

I reckon the strategy has been excellent tonight.

Like last week we were in the game for a long time - against top 4/top 6 opposition.

This with loads of injuries.

Get some more class in there and it's looking good.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:11 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Effes wrote:

Like last week we were in the game for a long time - against top 4/top 6 opposition.

Exactly.

He's already modified our game so much because of our deficiencies but you can only coach for turnovers so much.

We've been terrific but just error after error after error.

It drains the will of even the strongest players.

We should have still been very close or in front at 3/4 time but we don't have the skill or the bodies. He's done a remarkable job.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:15 pm 
Bruce Doull

Still too much backwards, sideways, useless flat footed ring a rosy handball, too high pressing, no forwards, minimal leading towards the ball and on and on.

Most of our good stuff comes from moments of individual brilliance because we do have a lot of talent on the list.

Though there is a lot of horrible skills as well....

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:28 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

grrofunger wrote:
Still too much backwards, sideways, useless flat footed ring a rosy handball, too high pressing, no forwards, minimal leading towards the ball and on and on.

Most of our good stuff comes from moments of individual brilliance because we do have a lot of talent on the list.

Though there is a lot of horrible skills as well....

They go hand in hand Grro I think ( a bit like ring a rosy) .

WE can't expand our game with the cattle we have. They are either flawed or small or developing.

Bolts is stopping the bleeding. 30 points is a good result and we could have got a lot closer without the shit skills.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:28 pm 
John Nicholls

cimm1979 wrote:
Effes wrote:

Exactly.

He's already modified our game so much because of our deficiencies but you can only coach for turnovers so much.

We've been terrific but just error after error after error.

It drains the will of even the strongest players.

We should have still been very close or in front at 3/4 time but we don't have the skill or the bodies. He's done a remarkable job.

Coach killers!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:57 pm 
Ken Hunter

yep there is no flow because we cannot string three good possessions together.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:10 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

I will say however that I really hope we can do the stoppage work like the Swans do.

That hand balling to guys on the move out of congestion used to be something we used to do in the 90's better than anyone and haven't done it since Ratts retired.

Just not sure how much of that is skill and how much is coaching.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:53 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

cimm1979 wrote:
I will say however that I really hope we can do the stoppage work like the Swans do.

That hand balling to guys on the move out of congestion used to be something we used to do in the 90's better than anyone and haven't done it since Ratts retired.

Our players are running into congestion when they get it. Our handball is more like pinball.
We hardly ever have players running past the player with the football at a mark or free to take a handball. The end result of that is that the opposition always has the numbers at the drop of the footy. When we were 2-1 to zip, the camera went to the Swans box and he said to the bloke in his right,
"we have to run it more."
Bang! Change of plan ten minutes into the game.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:48 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Effes wrote:

And maturity. We've regularly had guys like Dow, Fisher and SPS starting in at the centre bounces, guys that shouldn't have to worry about that until they've had another three years in the gym. They're doing well given how much development they have ahead of them.

Another couple of early picks on mids of Dow's quality and a few years to build endurance and muscle, it'll come together soon enough.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:08 am 
Robert Walls

Blue Sombrero wrote:
cimm1979 wrote:

Our players are running into congestion when they get it. Our handball is more like pinball.
We hardly ever have players running past the player with the football at a mark or free to take a handball. The end result of that is that the opposition always has the numbers at the drop of the footy. When we were 2-1 to zip, the camera went to the Swans box and he said to the bloke in his right,

Agreed
It's not only coach killers but marriage killers (not always a bad thing...)
Handballing to someone who is running...straight into a tackle
Handballing to someone stationary...straight into a tackle
Kicking it to someone...with an opponent so close they need to be checked for an STI
Kicking it long...to a 3 against 1
Trying to pick up a ball when you know you're going to get tackled instead of soccering it off the ground and continue to push forward to the next opportunity
Forwards always playing behind. 80% of kicks from the middle to our forward line are marked by defenders playing in front
Allowing Kruezer to win the throw ins but then Kruezer does EXACTLY what they want him to do
Players spending too much time running to cover space after our kick outs that the player kicking can't kick to them bc they have their backs to them
Opp taking uncontested marks in a contested situation
lack of shepherding
Tackling woeful
Little intent to run to an open space
etc etc etc

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:42 am 
Stephen Silvagni

I feel sorry for Bolton having to persist with senior players who are trying to lead but butcher the ball so badly. It must be doing his head in.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:14 am 
Rod Ashman

99prelim wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:
cimm1979 wrote:

Agreed
It's not only coach killers but marriage killers (not always a bad thing...)
Handballing to someone who is running...straight into a tackle
Handballing to someone stationary...straight into a tackle
Kicking it to someone...with an opponent so close they need to be checked for an STI
Kicking it long...to a 3 against 1
Trying to pick up a ball when you know you're going to get tackled instead of soccering it off the ground and continue to push forward to the next opportunity
Forwards always playing behind. 80% of kicks from the middle to our forward line are marked by defenders playing in front
Allowing Kruezer to win the throw ins but then Kruezer does EXACTLY what they want him to do
Players spending too much time running to cover space after our kick outs that the player kicking can't kick to them bc they have their backs to them
Opp taking uncontested marks in a contested situation
lack of shepherding
Tackling woeful
Little intent to run to an open space
etc etc etc

every point you make is a coaching issue

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:23 pm 
Ken Hunter

What do all those blokes do up there in the box?

Just keep stats?

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:51 pm 
Bruce Doull

I don't understand why we play a brand of football that won't;
a. Win games now, and
b. Won't ever win a flag

When our players get the footy, their firtst instinct is to look sideways or backward. Why is this? Is it instruction, is it their mental weaknesses? Our forwards don't offer 1st, 2nd, 3rd leads because they know we have to take the ball via 'the cape'. If they go backwards because the forwards don't offer anything, teach the @#$%&! forwards to offer lead after lead. What's the worst thing that can happen - we get beaten by 10 goals?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:59 pm 
Rod Ashman

The Duke wrote:
I don't understand why we play a brand of football that won't;
a. Win games now, and
b. Won't ever win a flag

When our players get the footy, their firtst instinct is to look sideways or backward. Why is this? Is it instruction, is it their mental weaknesses? Our forwards don't offer 1st, 2nd, 3rd leads because they know we have to take the ball via 'the cape'. If they go backwards because the forwards don't offer anything, teach the @#$%&! forwards to offer lead after lead. What's the worst thing that can happen - we get beaten by 10 goals?

You can't play the game you want if you don't have the players (with the skills) to play it.

It is obviously now just "damage control", "stem the bleeding" or whatever cliché you want to use.

We tried playing in an aggressive manner but it didn't work. This is two years away. They need to learn the basics and getting smacked week in week out was not the way to do it.

Another 50 games into these guys and they will be better.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6991 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160 ... 350  Next