Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:44 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6991 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198 ... 350  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:51 am 
Rod Ashman

Blue Vain wrote:
tap in 79 wrote:
Game style- Richmond worked out in 2017 Dusty was best spending time in the forward line, what are they doing with SPS? Is he getting enough time forward?

Game style- can they change to a high short kicking possession team when needed? Who tells them to flick the switch?

Game style-Is zone defence working? Did you see the Brisbane game. They got over 20 marks in the f50, they weren’t even within 10 metres on some marks. does the coach have the capacity to stifle that mark taking? Extra numbers? Taggers, is the balance right? What decisions did he make?
An External audit can answer the questions. The questions need to be asked behind closed doors.

SPS has spent most of the season as a half forward. :? Where do you think he has been playing? By the same token, he has also been given opportunities at half back and in the midfield which is what development is about.

Game style. Look at the games. We've changed the game styles often to suit the opposition or game momentum. Against Collingwood we maintained possession, controlled the game tempo and played short kicking, possession game. Our uncontested mark total was significantly higher than there's. We've also done it in other games. Unfounded criticism.

Games style. We had more inside 50's against Brisbane. 51 to 49. Of our 51 entries, they rebounded 42 times. Do you really think extra numbers in defence or taggers are going to stop that? The more players you put back, the faster it comes straight back in. We cant bemoan the lack of attacking options when we take possession of the ball and then whinge when our players are in offensive mode when its turned over. We are currently playing with probably 10 of the bottom 15 players on our list. Between them and the kids, they're not consistently up to it. You can't coach for that. You cant coach players to expect turnovers. Otherwise you'll play with 18 players in defence. You coach them to react quickly to a defensive transition but you cant coach them to play 100 minutes of defensive mindset. They'll never develop that way.

My question is what is SPS’s best position going forward. Where will he flourish? Only twice he’s got more than 20 possessions and he’s kicked 5 goals in the season.
He’s a young player, give him time, but I don’t want to see players go backwards and for the club to lose out. Coaches should be assisting to get the best out of him. Are the coaches good enough to do that? That is something an external audit can sort out, get the players to discuss what is working, what isn’t.

Re: the Brisbane game. They allowed 22 or 24? Uncontested marks In Brisbane’s forward line. The most of any team any time this season. Was the coaching effective to combat that? That is unless you are happy with the present scenario and there is no need to question anything. Full steam ahead, said the captain of the Titanic. This is serious stuff. A few more seasons of going around in circles, culling, culling, culling and culling under a “full rebuild” and its hand over keys time.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:29 am 
Craig Bradley

tap in 79 wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
tap in 79 wrote:
Game style- Richmond worked out in 2017 Dusty was best spending time in the forward line, what are they doing with SPS? Is he getting enough time forward?

Game style- can they change to a high short kicking possession team when needed? Who tells them to flick the switch?

Game style-Is zone defence working? Did you see the Brisbane game. They got over 20 marks in the f50, they weren’t even within 10 metres on some marks. does the coach have the capacity to stifle that mark taking? Extra numbers? Taggers, is the balance right? What decisions did he make?
An External audit can answer the questions. The questions need to be asked behind closed doors.

SPS has spent most of the season as a half forward. :? Where do you think he has been playing? By the same token, he has also been given opportunities at half back and in the midfield which is what development is about.

Game style. Look at the games. We've changed the game styles often to suit the opposition or game momentum. Against Collingwood we maintained possession, controlled the game tempo and played short kicking, possession game. Our uncontested mark total was significantly higher than there's. We've also done it in other games. Unfounded criticism.

Games style. We had more inside 50's against Brisbane. 51 to 49. Of our 51 entries, they rebounded 42 times. Do you really think extra numbers in defence or taggers are going to stop that? The more players you put back, the faster it comes straight back in. We cant bemoan the lack of attacking options when we take possession of the ball and then whinge when our players are in offensive mode when its turned over. We are currently playing with probably 10 of the bottom 15 players on our list. Between them and the kids, they're not consistently up to it. You can't coach for that. You cant coach players to expect turnovers. Otherwise you'll play with 18 players in defence. You coach them to react quickly to a defensive transition but you cant coach them to play 100 minutes of defensive mindset. They'll never develop that way.

My question is what is SPS’s best position going forward. Where will he flourish? Only twice he’s got more than 20 possessions and he’s kicked 5 goals in the season.
He’s a young player, give him time, but I don’t want to see players go backwards and for the club to lose out. Coaches should be assisting to get the best out of him. Are the coaches good enough to do that? That is something an external audit can sort out, get the players to discuss what is working, what isn’t.

Re: the Brisbane game. They allowed 22 or 24? Uncontested marks In Brisbane’s forward line. The most of any team any time this season. Was the coaching effective to combat that? That is unless you are happy with the present scenario and there is no need to question anything. Full steam ahead, said the captain of the Titanic. This is serious stuff. A few more seasons of going around in circles, culling, culling, culling and culling under a “full rebuild” and its hand over keys time.

Also Brisbane got 309 uncontested possessions.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:37 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

and i raise the notion, brisbane on paper are not a 10 goal, 309 more uncontested possessions side than what we are.

coaching has to come into our failures this year.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:03 pm 
Bruce Doull

Braithy wrote:
and i raise the notion, brisbane on paper are not a 10 goal, 309 more uncontested possessions side than what we are.

You're right.

And with predicted changes to the coaching panel during the off-season it looks like this will be addressed.

It may not look like it based on our on-field results, but I understand the players are happy with Bolton.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:32 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

if changing line coaches & keeping bolton works, i'm all for it. just like if replacing bolton works, i'm all for that as well.

i think we're all sick of losing and at whatever the cost to arrest that, the club needs to do.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:14 pm 
John Nicholls

Braithy wrote:
if changing line coaches & keeping bolton works, i'm all for it. just like if replacing bolton works, i'm all for that as well.

i think we're all sick of losing and at whatever the cost to arrest that, the club needs to do.

Changing line coaches will give the media far less ammunition than changing the head coach - and could be a positive story if we get someone like Mitchell or McVeigh. If we fire bolts the media will go to town on us even more than they already have, and while that isn't all that important in the scheme of things, what is important is that this would show supporters we haven't changed as a club.

Stick with Bolts and SOS. Change up the coaches around Bolts. Bring in Balme in place of McKay. And bring someone inspired in to replace Neal Craig to mentor Bolts. He's 39... (is he the youngest coach in the AFL?).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:26 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

I was never comfortable with Barker staying on after Bolton beat him for the top job.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:57 pm 
Ken Hunter

Braithy wrote:

I disagree, I think the Brisbane "on paper" side compared to our "on paper" side was at least a 10 goal better side which is why I told my brother on the way to the pub to watch the game we would lose by 10 goals.

if it helps I thought the side we put out against St Kilda looked better on paper than the side we fielded against Brisbane and then Kruise went down and I saw how Shaw delivered the ball and...well it wasn't.

On another point - I think you said something about sick of losing - that's the real difference I think. I am sick of losing, everyone is (even those some accuse of not being sick of it, I assure you, are) from there it seems you have 2 choices -

panic and return to rotten coach get rid of, start again, ie Pagan to Rattan to Malthouse to Bolts

or

stay patient - actually let the club change the list to its core - really change, no botox ( Judd) no cosmetic (Kruiser cup) but real. Pull the @#$%&! list apart, sell off what you need to to get what you need (picks) use the picks for kids, gather the kids into a core and then build the list around that core. We have only done the first bit - the kids (so stop worrying about the Shaws/OSheas/Mullets) - now comes the next phase (and maybe the hardest) build the list around that core - and some here want to ditch this chance and start all over again - @#$%&! that!

I am so tired of being shit and I do not want an eighth or even a fourth - I want the @#$%&! cup! I want that joy...and I want to stand with my son, my brothers, my nephews and nieces and share that joy...if we lose our nerve (again) pander to flower around the club who do nothing but scream loudly to increase their sense of importance, then I doubt I will ever see that cub held aloft on the podium again.

Is Bolts the coach? Seriously dumb question at this point...who the @#$%&! knows with the side he is being forced to field... The real question is - are we finally building a list that can go all the way? I love the kids we have - Curnow and Cripps (of course some then bemoan 'oh Cripps will go to WA' - well grow some @#$%&! balls, if he does he does, deal with it..when did we become so weak we could only see the impending disaster?) Fisher and Marchbank, McKay and SPS, Cunningham and Williamson, McReadie and Picket, Plowman and TDK, Dow and O'Brien, Shumacher and Garlett and more - will they all make it - no they will not but there is enough there, enough to build a great side around.

I am @#$%&! excited by that list and I cannot wait to see it now added to and developed and with that, watch Bolts as a coach and the club find its mojo and a whole lot of other stuff... exciting times, exciting times indeed!

Last edited by dannyboy on Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:06 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

yeah, it's a valid point.

if the time comes with a solid run of health & development at the club and bolton isn't up to it, then will be the time to remove him. and now isn't that time.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:09 pm 
Serge Silvagni

dannyboy wrote:
Braithy wrote:

I disagree, I think the Brisbane "on paper" side compared to our "on paper" side was at least a 10 goal better side which is why I told my brother on the way to the pub to watch the game we would lose by 10 goals.

if it helps I thought the side we put out against St Kilda looked better om paper than the side we fielded against Brisbane and then Kruise went down and I saw how Shaw delivered the ball and...well it wasn't.

On another point - I think you said something about sick of losing - that's the real difference I think. I am sick of losing, everyone is (even those some accuse of not being sick of it, I assure you, are) from there it seems you have 2 choices -

panic and return to rotten coach get rid of, start again, ie Pagan to Rattan to Malthouse to Bolts

or

stay patient - actually let the club change the list to its core - really change, no botox ( Judd) no cosmetic (Kruiser cup) but real. Pull the @#$%&! list apart, sell off what you need to to get what you need (picks) use the picks for kids, gather the kids into a core and then build the list around that core. We have only done the first bit - the kids (so stop worrying about the Shaws/OSheas/Mullets) - now comes the next phase (and maybe the hardest) build the list around that core - and some here want to ditch this chance and start all over again - @#$%&! that!

I am so tired of being shit and I do not ant an eighth or even a fourth - i want the @#$%&! cup! I want that joy...and i want to stand with my son, my brothers, my nephews and nieces and share that joy...if we lose our nerve (again) pander to flower around the club who do nothing but scream loudly to increase their sense of importance, then I doubt I will ever see that cub held aloft on the podium again.

is Bolts the coach? Seriously dumb question at this point...who the @#$%&! knows with the side he is being forced to field... The real question is - are we finally building a list that can go all the way? I love the kids we have - Curnow and Cripps (of course some then bemoan 'oh Cripps will go to WA' - well grow some @#$%&! balls, if he does he does, deal with it..when did we become so weak we could only see the impending disaster?) Fisher and Marchbank, McKay and SPS, Cunningham and Williamson, McReadie and Picket, Plowman and TDK, Dow and O'Brien, Shumacher and Garlett and more - will they all make it - no they will not but there is enough there, enough to build a great side around.

I am @#$%&! excited by that list and I cannot wait to see it now added to and developed and with that, watch Bolts as a coach and the club find its mojo and a wole lot of other stuff... exciting times, exciting times indeed!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:23 pm 
Bruce Doull

Well said danny. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:31 pm 
Craig Bradley

dannyboy wrote:
Braithy wrote:

if it helps I thought the side we put out against St Kilda looked better om paper than the side we fielded against Brisbane and then Kruise went down and I saw how Shaw delivered the ball and...well it wasn't.

or

I am so tired of being shit and I do not ant an eighth or even a fourth - i want the @#$%&! cup! I want that joy...and i want to stand with my son, my brothers, my nephews and nieces and share that joy...if we lose our nerve (again) pander to flower around the club who do nothing but scream loudly to increase their sense of importance, then I doubt I will ever see that cub held aloft on the podium again.

is Bolts the coach? Seriously dumb question at this point...who the @#$%&! knows with the side he is being forced to field... The real question is - are we finally building a list that can go all the way? I love the kids we have - Curnow and Cripps (of course some then bemoan 'oh Cripps will go to WA' - well grow some @#$%&! balls, if he does he does, deal with it..when did we become so weak we could only see the impending disaster?) Fisher and Marchbank, McKay and SPS, Cunningham and Williamson, McReadie and Picket, Plowman and TDK, Dow and O'Brien, Shumacher and Garlett and more - will they all make it - no they will not but there is enough there, enough to build a great side around.

I am @#$%&! excited by that list and I cannot wait to see it now added to and developed and with that, watch Bolts as a coach and the club find its mojo and a wole lot of other stuff... exciting times, exciting times indeed!

No way was Brisbane a 10 goal better side. They had won 2 games at the time. Top sides have often struggled to flog us. The zoning game plan, lack of effort made them a 10 goal better side.

I don't see a well drilled or structure side out there. By the 3rd year we should have started locking into a method, plan etc. No sign of that.
We just see players that are lost and confused by their roles and the game plan. We try to go with a zone, offensive game plan then most weeks pick 4 talls defenders. Like really! I see good young players going backwards. In the end we have one win, our worst ever in history if it stays that way, and 2 wins in the last 26 games. The side we put on the ground, injuries or not, is better than one win. I don't see alot of effort recently either. This is all coaching. Bolts message and teaching does not look like it getting through to the players. So far it's been 7 wins, 6 wins and 1 win in 3 years.

I've seen enough to want a change.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:41 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

jim wrote:
dannyboy wrote:
Braithy wrote:

or

No way was Brisbane a 10 goal better side. They had won 2 games at the time. Top sides have often struggled to flog us. The zoning game plan, lack of effort made them a 10 goal better side.

I don't see a well drilled or structure side out there. By the 3rd year we should have started locking into a method, plan etc. No sign of that.
We just see players that are lost and confused by their roles and the game plan. We try to go with a zone, offensive game plan then most weeks pick 4 talls defenders. Like really! I see good young players going backwards. In the end we have one win, our worst ever in history if it stays that way, and 2 wins in the last 26 games. The side we put on the ground, injuries or not, is better than one win. I don't see alot of effort recently either. This is all coaching. Bolts message and teaching does not look like it getting through to the players. So far it's been 7 wins, 6 wins and 1 win in 3 years.

But you've listed time after time that one of your main reasons (a theme that goes back to before he was selected) for not wanting Bolton was that he hadn't played at the top level.

Perhaps you could show us Fagans celebrated VFL/AFL career?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:08 pm 
Ken Hunter

Jim that's why I am so glad you are not in charge of the club - we'd start again and again and again - 3rd year smird year - how many tails does it take to play the mouth organ?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:26 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

jim wrote:

And that's the trouble. Some posters can't see a gameplan, so its time to sack the coach. Perhaps they wouldn't know what they're looking for.

Adelaide get Rory Atkins, Riley Knight and Eddie betts back into their side (a week after Sloane and Lynch return from long lay offs), and they have a win against a top 8 side, after losing 5 of 6?
Lynch kicks 4, Atkins has 28, Sloane has a big game and Eddie supplies the forward half pressure with 7 tackles. Did they suddenly have a game plan after the coach lost it for 6 weeks?

GWS get back their best player this week (Toby Greene) and they beat the top side. (The only top 8 side they've beaten this year. You can have the best game style in the world. If you don't have the personnel to see it through, you're toast.

As for Brisbane, they beat a depleted Hawthorn earlier this year by the best part of 10 goals as well. Was their triple premiership coach out of his depth? Did he have an invisible game plan too?
Look at the injury ladder. 90% of it corresponds with team performance. It's not a coincidence.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:38 pm 
Bruce Doull

danny goes BANG

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:50 pm 
Robert Walls

Donstuie wrote:
danny goes BANG

Has anyone ever seen Danny and SOS in the same room???? :eek:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:35 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

My biggest concern is not the coach or game plan but our ability to keep our best players on the park for meaningful periods.

First place I’d start any review would be our medical/strength and conditioning department. Closely followed by our development programs.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:37 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

dannyboy wrote:
Braithy wrote:

if it helps I thought the side we put out against St Kilda looked better on paper than the side we fielded against Brisbane and then Kruise went down and I saw how Shaw delivered the ball and...well it wasn't.

or

I am so tired of being shit and I do not want an eighth or even a fourth - I want the @#$%&! cup! I want that joy...and I want to stand with my son, my brothers, my nephews and nieces and share that joy...if we lose our nerve (again) pander to flower around the club who do nothing but scream loudly to increase their sense of importance, then I doubt I will ever see that cub held aloft on the podium again.

Is Bolts the coach? Seriously dumb question at this point...who the @#$%&! knows with the side he is being forced to field... The real question is - are we finally building a list that can go all the way? I love the kids we have - Curnow and Cripps (of course some then bemoan 'oh Cripps will go to WA' - well grow some @#$%&! balls, if he does he does, deal with it..when did we become so weak we could only see the impending disaster?) Fisher and Marchbank, McKay and SPS, Cunningham and Williamson, McReadie and Picket, Plowman and TDK, Dow and O'Brien, Shumacher and Garlett and more - will they all make it - no they will not but there is enough there, enough to build a great side around.

I am @#$%&! excited by that list and I cannot wait to see it now added to and developed and with that, watch Bolts as a coach and the club find its mojo and a whole lot of other stuff... exciting times, exciting times indeed!

Nice. :thumbsup:
Still gonna feel shite every time we lose but so looking forward to next season. Bring it on.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:24 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Blue Vain wrote:
jim wrote:

And that's the trouble. Some posters can't see a gameplan, so its time to sack the coach. Perhaps they wouldn't know what they're looking for.

Adelaide get Rory Atkins, Riley Knight and Eddie betts back into their side (a week after Sloane and Lynch return from long lay offs), and they have a win against a top 8 side, after losing 5 of 6?
Lynch kicks 4, Atkins has 28, Sloane has a big game and Eddie supplies the forward half pressure with 7 tackles. Did they suddenly have a game plan after the coach lost it for 6 weeks?

GWS get back their best player this week (Toby Greene) and they beat the top side. (The only top 8 side they've beaten this year. You can have the best game style in the world. If you don't have the personnel to see it through, you're toast.

As for Brisbane, they beat a depleted Hawthorn earlier this year by the best part of 10 goals as well. Was their triple premiership coach out of his depth? Did he have an invisible game plan too?
Look at the injury ladder. 90% of it corresponds with team performance. It's not a coincidence.

Incorrect.

Quadruple premiership coach.

- Igor Stravinsky

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6991 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198 ... 350  Next