Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:13 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6991 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 281, 282, 283, 284, 285, 286, 287 ... 350  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:07 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

bondiblue wrote:
camelboy wrote:
Given O'Meara had had more than half of his possessions in the first half, while his side was ineffectual, I'm guessing his overall influence on the outcome, especially after half time probably wasn't as strong as other Hawthorn players who began to lift. Not sure jumping up and down saying "But Daaaaaaad, Jaeger had 42 touches so that means the coach must be shit" is really the best analysis.

What else changed, either for us or for the Hawks?

I didn't care too much about OMeara at half time TBH.

I thought he wasn't doing any damage.

I thought Cripps could have received a few frees which he didnt.

Execution Efficiency was high in the first half and the kids played the Bolton game plan to perfection.

When the efficiency declined, so did our forward thrusts.

If we had got over the line, the praise of the Bolton game plan and the development of the kids would be the discussion.

Time beat us. We also beat ourselves...just look back at moments, and the luck that went Hawks way.

I'm happy with our progress ... actually had a tear in my eye after the game, whilst my 2 boys were in severe pain.

We will learn and harden up from this....IMO

I can see some truth in what you write and also Braithy BB.
You both make good points.
I don't mean to have a foot in both camps, but I have some doubt long term re Bolts after that game. I think he is absolutely the right coach up until now and if we start winning a few games in a row quite happy to throw doubt into the fire. I guess if you told me would get Clarkson from next year on...I would be pretty pleased. For now, let's just keep improving.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:47 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

bluegirl72 wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
camelboy wrote:
Given O'Meara had had more than half of his possessions in the first half, while his side was ineffectual, I'm guessing his overall influence on the outcome, especially after half time probably wasn't as strong as other Hawthorn players who began to lift. Not sure jumping up and down saying "But Daaaaaaad, Jaeger had 42 touches so that means the coach must be shit" is really the best analysis.

Execution Efficiency was high in the first half and the kids played the Bolton game plan to perfection.

If we had got over the line, the praise of the Bolton game plan and the development of the kids would be the discussion.

Time beat us. We also beat ourselves...just look back at moments, and the luck that went Hawks way.

I'm happy with our progress ... actually had a tear in my eye after the game, whilst my 2 boys were in severe pain.

I don't mean to have a foot in both camps, but I have some doubt long term re Bolts after that game. I think he is absolutely the right coach up until now and if we start winning a few games in a row quite happy to throw doubt into the fire. I guess if you told me would get Clarkson from next year on...I would be pretty pleased. For now, let's just keep improving.

Bolton made plenty of moves/ changes.
He was forced to in the 3rd, and when he had Simmo, Newman and Kreuzer out for the game, there wasn't much more he could do.

The argument I'm reading is that Bolton is no good because he didnt put Ed onto OMeara.
That Bolton is no good because he didnt make that move, none of us would know why but I'm sure the MC debated it as all coaches would.

Maybe tagging OMeara after the centre bounce may have worked.... who knows... worth throwing the idea up, but it is not dogma as some here pitch it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:08 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Braithy wrote:

bolton is great in many aspects of coaching ... his gameday decisions and moves have always been suss (imo). he's reactionary (rather than proactive), and, that's if he makes any moves at all. so many games when momentum is sliding, or the other coach makes a structural change, bolton's hands stay in his pockets? imo, bolton needs to add some unpredictability to his game, and be prepared to take some risks as the next part of his coaching evolution.

That doesn't make sense to me. You're saying Bolton is reactionary, yet we've led in 4 of the 6 games at quarter time. That tells me he's proactive and utilising strategies that put us ahead early in games. Yes, teams are altering strategies and putting themselves back into the contest but we are also adapting well to get the game back on our terms at times.
Hawthorn had a strong third quarter but we came back into the contest well and gave ourselves opportunities to win the game.
I recall in the last quarter we went the best part of 3 goals down and I thought the Hawks would steamroll us. Instead we almost got the win. It's a trend with most teams in most games. With the limited runner access, teams are getting momentum rolls and the opposition find it hard to halt it. It occurs in most games.

IMO, we are tracking very well. We need to iron out minor mistakes and our on-field leadership needs improving when teams gain momentum needs work. Other than that, I don't think Bolton can be greatly faulted. Unless you have some specifics you'd like to highlight.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:44 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

bondiblue wrote:
bluegirl72 wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
camelboy wrote:

Bolton made plenty of moves/ changes.
He was forced to in the 3rd, and when he had Simmo, Newman and Kreuzer out for the game, there wasn't much more he could do.

The argument I'm reading is that Bolton is no good because he didnt put Ed onto OMeara.
That Bolton is no good because he didnt make that move, none of us would know why but I'm sure the MC debated it as all coaches would.

Maybe tagging OMeara after the centre bounce may have worked.... who knows... worth throwing the idea up, but it is not dogma as some here pitch it.

no. fair enough. I think plenty of us have trust issues re CFC and coaching. :lol:
we have L.T.L.S.D. no..not hallucinations :razz:
Long term losing stress disorder.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:15 pm 
Ken Hunter

can I also say
we were back in the hunt early in the last (so things had been addressed in the huddle) I think what undid us was poor delivery to teamates - Murph & Weitering a couple of times, Cripps, Walsh, Cunners and a few others, tired mistakes(?) or just the pressure, not sure but if the delivery had remained as strong as the first half I think we would have won. we were winning the ball but then turnover and have to start again.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:14 pm 
Geoff Southby

bondiblue wrote:
camelboy wrote:

Yep ! reckon Jarman Impey was cutting us to pieces.Should of been manned up coz he was the one doing the real damage.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:28 pm 
Geoff Southby

Blue Sombrero wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
I find it quite amusing that the usuals detractors are on here again talking the same nonsense. We didn't adjust, Bolton should've done something, he's not our man......blah blah blah. Take the blinkers off people and stop with the short term memory and whinging. We won 2 games last year because of injuries to key players during games, senior players making poor disposal choices with terrible execution and a team of kids who are going to be inconsistent and not always play 4 quarters of football. If you seen anything else other than the above, then you are just looking for reasons to peddle your own nonsense.
As disappointed as I am regarding the end result and win we "could've" had, I am pretty stoked with the first half and the last part of the 4th. It was something to get excited about, especially if they can string it together for 4 full quarters. Finally our team has a lot of potential and the results might come sooner that I personally expected.
Go the Blues!!

I find it amusing that somebody thinks BB is perfect and therefore beyond criticism.
'What nonsense, where have I stated BB is perfect? I am just giving him the chance to prove himself rather than trying to take him down every week to validate my hurt feelings.

It isn't OK to let a player run around loose getting 25 possessions in a half of footy without reacting. I suggest you write letters, emails, tweets or whatever to all the ex players and commentators on TV/radio/press saying we should have stopped O'Meara and tell them how wrong they are.
So you refer to the media to validate your nonsense? the same media that has been actively hunting our club this century to sell papers and are renowned for their emotionally charged, fact-less rabble………Ok then.
Maybe it was because O'Meara wasn't really doing any damage with a lot of those disposals (7 were listed as clangers) or we didn’t have a tagger (Setterfield) that could take him out of the game and if they moved Ed earlier we lost some of our defensive forward pressure that was helping our attack! There are so many variables neither you, the media, former players or anyone else other than the coaches know. So we should probably leave it to them seeing as though that’s their job.

Even BB isn't claiming last year's results were because of injury.
And how would they own their losses if he did? But for the rest of the football world with half a clue, we all know it was a huge factor.

We are tracking OK but nobody thinks BB outcoached Clarko last Sunday except you, judging from your comments.
More nonsense, we lost by 5 points against the oldest most experienced team in the AFL. Where the game is changed during the quarters by the players more so than the coaches due to the new runner rules. And we are the 3rd youngest with the second least experience (and even less when we lose Simmo). And don't get me started on all of our clangers in the 3rd quarter or is BB responsible for that too?

As I previously mentioned, if you took the blinkers off for one minute you’d see we are actually starting to get better as the season goes on and it’s pretty damn exciting to watch.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 6:43 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Blue Vain wrote:
Braithy wrote:

bolton is great in many aspects of coaching ... his gameday decisions and moves have always been suss (imo). he's reactionary (rather than proactive), and, that's if he makes any moves at all. so many games when momentum is sliding, or the other coach makes a structural change, bolton's hands stay in his pockets? imo, bolton needs to add some unpredictability to his game, and be prepared to take some risks as the next part of his coaching evolution.

That doesn't make sense to me. You're saying Bolton is reactionary, yet we've led in 4 of the 6 games at quarter time. That tells me he's proactive and utilising strategies that put us ahead early in games. Yes, teams are altering strategies and putting themselves back into the contest but we are also adapting well to get the game back on our terms at times.
Hawthorn had a strong third quarter but we came back into the contest well and gave ourselves opportunities to win the game.
I recall in the last quarter we went the best part of 3 goals down and I thought the Hawks would steamroll us. Instead we almost got the win. It's a trend with most teams in most games. With the limited runner access, teams are getting momentum rolls and the opposition find it hard to halt it. It occurs in most games.

That stat, just fortifies exactly what I'm saying, mate.

bolton is an excellent midweek coach. his attention to detail in video sessions is second to none. his football brain figures out how to stop other teams from those video sessions, it's why we come out of the gates in the 1st quarter so well -- bolton does his homework and preps the players.

but, then what then happens is; the other coach makes adjustments ... and bolton on gamedays, doesn't have/ make moves to counter. there's no plan b or c, basically. i question his ability to think fast and on his feet within the game? to arrest momentum.

Clarkson started blocking jones and harry at either end, while putting an extra man (shiels) on the outside of the ball after qtr time last week. with cripps being held and ineffective (for him), o'meara got all the ball they could handle in close and shiels all the ball on the outside and they ran through us. we didn't counter any of that, and by the third we were blown away.

the simple act of putting a body (nevermind we have Ed, the best tag in the comp) on o'meara at halftime would have starved shiels & changed the outcome of the 3rd quarter. 100%.

in the 4th, with hawthorn on a short turnaround, they stopped running and went much more defensive -- they were never going to steamroll us, they were always going to try to just hang on ... meanwhile, we reverted back to that panicked situation where we bomb it long, and cross our fingers one of our talls marks it. but that was never going to fly with an experienced backline like the hawks.

we had to support each other thru the middle (like we did vee the dogs fr 4-quarters) & run and lift our eyes and kick over those packs. Dow's goal is an example of what we needed more of.

for me with bolton ... he's in his 4th year, and he keeps getting outcoached in those critical moments where we can win games. over his reign, i have literally lost count of all the close, winnable games we could have had, but didn't. the suns and hawks this year have been killers.

this has to turn around, yeah? bolton has to be more willing or more capable to make moves and counter the other coach.

Quote:
IMO, we are tracking very well. We need to iron out minor mistakes and our on-field leadership needs improving when teams gain momentum needs work. Other than that, I don't think Bolton can be greatly faulted. Unless you have some specifics you'd like to highlight.

our playing list is tracking & developing well... coaching where all the question marks are, imo.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 7:42 am 
Ken Hunter

Isn't Clarkson being reactionary making the changes? Shouldn't all coaches be reactionary?

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 8:38 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Sidefx wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
I find it quite amusing that the usuals detractors are on here again talking the same nonsense. We didn't adjust, Bolton should've done something, he's not our man......blah blah blah. Take the blinkers off people and stop with the short term memory and whinging. We won 2 games last year because of injuries to key players during games, senior players making poor disposal choices with terrible execution and a team of kids who are going to be inconsistent and not always play 4 quarters of football. If you seen anything else other than the above, then you are just looking for reasons to peddle your own nonsense.
As disappointed as I am regarding the end result and win we "could've" had, I am pretty stoked with the first half and the last part of the 4th. It was something to get excited about, especially if they can string it together for 4 full quarters. Finally our team has a lot of potential and the results might come sooner that I personally expected.
Go the Blues!!

I find it amusing that somebody thinks BB is perfect and therefore beyond criticism.
'What nonsense, where have I stated BB is perfect? I am just giving him the chance to prove himself rather than trying to take him down every week to validate my hurt feelings.

It isn't OK to let a player run around loose getting 25 possessions in a half of footy without reacting. I suggest you write letters, emails, tweets or whatever to all the ex players and commentators on TV/radio/press saying we should have stopped O'Meara and tell them how wrong they are.
So you refer to the media to validate your nonsense? the same media that has been actively hunting our club this century to sell papers and are renowned for their emotionally charged, fact-less rabble………Ok then.
Maybe it was because O'Meara wasn't really doing any damage with a lot of those disposals (7 were listed as clangers) or we didn’t have a tagger (Setterfield) that could take him out of the game and if they moved Ed earlier we lost some of our defensive forward pressure that was helping our attack! There are so many variables neither you, the media, former players or anyone else other than the coaches know. So we should probably leave it to them seeing as though that’s their job.

Even BB isn't claiming last year's results were because of injury.
And how would they own their losses if he did? But for the rest of the football world with half a clue, we all know it was a huge factor.

We are tracking OK but nobody thinks BB outcoached Clarko last Sunday except you, judging from your comments.
More nonsense, we lost by 5 points against the oldest most experienced team in the AFL. Where the game is changed during the quarters by the players more so than the coaches due to the new runner rules. And we are the 3rd youngest with the second least experience (and even less when we lose Simmo). And don't get me started on all of our clangers in the 3rd quarter or is BB responsible for that too?

As I previously mentioned, if you took the blinkers off for one minute you’d see we are actually starting to get better as the season goes on and it’s pretty damn exciting to watch.

I agree with one thing.
You have half a clue.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 9:33 am 
Bruce Doull

Okay, so who has the other half?! Someone must have it? :lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 9:52 am 
Robert Walls

Question for those in the know (or those who think they are in the know) -

What do you think Walls is focusing on?
What do you think his areas of focus/responsibility or areas of specialty are in his current capacity?

Is he advising Lloyd on high level issues with how the coaching structure works, how they can better work together, communicate and organise as a high performing team?
Or is he working at a micro level with Bolton to help with work through areas for personal development?
Or is he just a nice, friendly, 'coffee mentor' who takes each of the coaches out and listens to their problems and provide some of his worldly wisdom and life experience ?

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 10:46 am 
Bruce Doull

Or is he sharing his insights on writing ultra critical articles of opposition teams the week before we play them?!

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 10:55 am 
Craig Bradley

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 4:25 pm 
Geoff Southby

Bluey44 wrote:
Question for those in the know (or those who think they are in the know) -

What do you think Walls is focusing on?
What do you think his areas of focus/responsibility or areas of specialty are in his current capacity?

Is he advising Lloyd on high level issues with how the coaching structure works, how they can better work together, communicate and organise as a high performing team?
Or is he working at a micro level with Bolton to help with work through areas for personal development?
Or is he just a nice, friendly, 'coffee mentor' who takes each of the coaches out and listens to their problems and provide some of his worldly wisdom and life experience ?

I think basically the 3rd one, steadying influence. Someone who has been through all the shit, help them see the bigger picture etc.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 5:40 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

You are all wrong.
He advises on beaujolais.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 8:23 pm 
Geoff Southby

Blue Sombrero wrote:
I agree with one thing.
You have half a clue.

Not sure if I'm supposed to offended or impressed.
Either way, I guess it's better than not having a clue, hey BS? :wink:

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 7:35 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

dannyboy wrote:
Isn't Clarkson being reactionary making the changes? Shouldn't all coaches be reactionary?

well yeah, good point.

clarkson reacted to harry's 2 goals in the 1st quarter and stopped them. and he reacted to Jones wearing roughhead like a towel.

why we didn't do to stratton to free harry, or move harry/ swap harry and gov around to our front structure, i'll never know.

but clarkson proactively stopped cripps from being cripps; meanwhile bolton did nothing about o'meara and shiels destroying us until there was 7-8 mins left in the game.

not even the most ardent bb supporter can explain that? like if you were going to tag o'meara, why do it then? after he's had the ball 42 times kicked a goal and set up several more? why do we continually have one of the best tags in the comp running around in a forward pocket?

so possibly reactionary is the wrong word, danny ... maybe passive is a better word for bolton? he's too passive on game days.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 2:15 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Sidefx wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:
I agree with one thing.
You have half a clue.

Not sure if I'm supposed to offended or impressed.
Either way, I guess it's better than not having a clue, hey BS? :wink:

Take it in the spirit it was intended, mate.
We're all full of it at some stage on this forum when it's said and done.
That's why it's mostly a fun place. We don't have to agree, we just have to be Bluebaggers

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 3:21 pm 
Ken Hunter

so Bolts is a passive coach - okay I'll watch and see what I think.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6991 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 281, 282, 283, 284, 285, 286, 287 ... 350  Next