Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 4:50 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 242 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:34 am 
Stephen Kernahan

lucablue wrote:
cimm1979 wrote:

Less enthusiastic about Judds appointment. Looks like a bit of a "spread the blame" if it goes wrong appointment.

One of the more ridiculous things I've read on TC.

I don't really have an opinion on whether it is good or not not, having Judd on the selection panel. But do you seriously think that is the reason they've chosen for Judd to be involved?

OMFG !!

I think that they may have been struggling to find a name with a Carlton affiliation that would have credibility with the membership.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:40 am 
Stephen Kernahan

....and that they were going to have Judd on the panel even if he was not retired is also a concern.

I hope this indicates that Judd was definitely retiring at years end because a player deciding who the his next coach is, isn't a great idea.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:11 am 
Craig Bradley

Well you know we are on the right track. KB on SEN has just shit canned the idea ... therefore full steam ahead Blues!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:37 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Matthews, please.

By his logic the board should be making every significant operational decision.

Setting up a panel who amongst them possess a specific skill set to identify the appropriate candidate for the board's ratification is exactly the correct process.

He was off the pace as a coach when he retired and should probably give up any kind of public commentary. Footy people in their footy bubble.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:47 am 
Bruce Doull

ScottSaunders wrote:
Well you know we are on the right track. KB on SEN has just shit canned the idea ... therefore full steam ahead Blues!!

http://www.sen.com.au/news/06-15/kbs-ta ... on-cop-out

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am 
Stephen Silvagni

Looks like KB needs to look up the word independent in the dictionary.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:02 am 
Vale 1953-2020

camelboy wrote:
ScottSaunders wrote:

McKay, Silvagni, and Gleeson. Teehee.

Yes, maybe for the first time ever, we're doing something properly. Welcome to the 20th century. Now if we can get into the 21st....

After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F .........
Visit http://fromthemoshpit.com/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:09 am 
Robert Walls

moshe25 wrote:
camelboy wrote:
ScottSaunders wrote:

McKay, Silvagni, and Gleeson. Teehee.

Yes, maybe for the first time ever, we're doing something properly. Welcome to the 20th century. Now if we can get into the 21st....

No quick fixes Moshe.

We're just taking it one century at a time.

Early Doors! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:18 am 
Craig Bradley

I think this is a great development - good committee - no old cronies - a proper process a wide variety of skills on committee - maybe we are becoming a real footy club :clap:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:20 am 
Harry Vallence

cimm1979 wrote:
dadadadada wrote:
I would have preferred a more elder statesman as the ex football coach on the panel.

Someone like a Leigh Matthews who has played and coached some of the best teams in the history of football. I'm not sure if he has an involvement with Brisbane and that may be one reason why someone with his credentials is not part of the panel.

Lethal said on the weekend he didn't agree with clubs farming out the responsibility of hiring new coaches to independent panels.

Reckons that's why you have administrators and board members, to make tough calls. Leaving it to people outside the club means they don't have to wear the consequences.

I can see his point.

In Carlton's case though, I don't see any reason to think this board could pick it's own nose so it makes sense to get other opinions.

I'm glad Trigg has the stones to sit on the panel, at least he's tying himself to the success or otherwise of the decision.

Less enthusiastic about Judds appointment. Looks like a bit of a "spread the blame" if it goes wrong appointment.

Matthews is completely right. I think l stated this as embarrassing in an earlier post. If we dont have people at the club they cant run an interview process and select a coach, then they shouldnt be there

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:28 am 
Harry Vallence

jimmae wrote:
cimm1979 wrote:
dadadadada wrote:
I would have preferred a more elder statesman as the ex football coach on the panel.

Someone like a Leigh Matthews who has played and coached some of the best teams in the history of football. I'm not sure if he has an involvement with Brisbane and that may be one reason why someone with his credentials is not part of the panel.

Lethal said on the weekend he didn't agree with clubs farming out the responsibility of hiring new coaches to independent panels.

Reckons that's why you have administrators and board members, to make tough calls. Leaving it to people outside the club means they don't have to wear the consequences.

I can see his point.

In Carlton's case though, I don't see any reason to think this board could pick it's own nose so it makes sense to get other opinions.

I'm glad Trigg has the stones to sit on the panel, at least he's tying himself to the success or otherwise of the decision.

At the end of the day, the board make the appointment. This panel provides insight and a recommendation.

Yeah the board sign it off. But they will sign off based on the recommendation. The board cant go against the panels recommendation. It defeats the purpose of having it. If it goes pear shaped, then the board will blame the panel. They have outsourced the risk and cant be blamed if a bad coach is hired.

It is a waste of time in my books. It is a 2 horse race with barker and dew. Media is all over dew and talking him up like the messiah. Panel can take the easy decision of appointing dew as he is most likely the best candidate based on media opinion. If barker can snare a few wins though it will be interesting

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:18 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Whether Barker can snag a few wins or not is irrelevant.

I think any candidate needs to outline their vision, football philosophies, where they see the club heading year by year etc etc

You could get any coach to snag a few wins between now and the end of the year. Gieschen was a supercoach as an interim coach

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:35 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Goltzenberg wrote:
It is a 2 horse race with barker and dew.

Horse shit. There's other quality candidates out there.
Let the process run it's course. As for the board, it's pretty obvious most of them wouldn't have a clue yet you want them to make the decision after they've made failed decisions in the past?

FMD.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:45 am 
Ken Hands

Dont know why we are going to the trouble ,according to the flog Waldron its a done deal Dew has the job.He is probabaly spewing as no club in their right mind would ever have him on any committee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:09 pm 
Ken Hunter

Blue Vain wrote:
Goltzenberg wrote:
It is a 2 horse race with barker and dew.

Horse shit. There's other quality candidates out there.
Let the process run it's course. As for the board, it's pretty obvious most of them wouldn't have a clue yet you want them to make the decision after they've made failed decisions in the past?

FMD.

+1.

IMHO it is a wonderful cross section on the Panel. Relevant people that can all look at it from a different angle based on their past involvements.

I love the inclusion of Judd. No BS. Knows what it takes to mold a group of men. Current knowledge of the game. If Judd thinks 'This guy is the one I would love to Coach me' then that's good enough for me.

Also the fact that Ange Postecoglou will have seen many applicants previously in his recent role as 'Next AFL Coach' selector, that is an added bonus.

Sheldon and Trigg can look at the candidates from an Administrative/Media perspective which is a huge part of the job.

Regards Cazzesman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:28 pm 
Geoff Southby

camelboy wrote:
There are precedents for assistant coaches walking during finals campaigns. Neeld is one that comes to mind, but I was kinda hoping I could remember a more successful example. :lol:

Brenton Sanderson
Brad Scott

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:35 pm 
Craig Bradley

I forgot Ange was on the panel that picked level 4 coaches. I like his inclusion even more now.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:38 pm 
Vale 1953-2020

Yep, I think it's great, AND well thought out.

I wanted:

1. Postecoglou - great, I got him.
2. Parkin or Walls - experienced coaches, but more importantly, they know the Carlton culture but aren't subservient to it. Well Sheldon is a better and more inspired choice than mine. He knows Carlton, understands footy, is intelligent, and much younger. Great choice.
3. Nick Maxwell - young, recently out of the game. Well, Judd is as good a choice IMO.

Adding Campbell is neither here nor there for me. And adding Trigg is good as it gives it legitimacy.

Yeah nah, the boys done good - for once.

After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F .........
Visit http://fromthemoshpit.com/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:40 pm 
Ken Hunter

..will we have the new coach before trade week..?.. (let alone draft)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:41 pm 
Ken Hunter

moshe25 wrote:
Yep, I think it's great, AND well thought out.

I wanted:

1. Postecoglou - great, I got him.
2. Parkin or Walls - experienced coaches, but more importantly, they know the Carlton culture but aren't subservient to it. Well Sheldon is a better and more inspired choice than mine. He knows Carlton, understands footy, is intelligent, and much younger. Great choice.
3. Nick Maxwell - young, recently out of the game. Well, Judd is as good a choice IMO.

Adding Campbell is neither here nor there for me. And adding Trigg is good as it gives it legitimacy.

Yeah nah, the boys done good - for once.

..it also gives Trigg some responsibility and hopefully, accountability..

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 242 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next