Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:46 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 721 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 37  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 8:20 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

4thchicken wrote:
jimmae wrote:
Gents it's pretty simple: if he is such a wundercoach-in-waiting, where is the evidence?

He's simply climbed the ladder the way most career assistants do. If he surprises us and pulls out a whole new bag of tricks over the next 3 months, the next question should be 'where the @#$%&! was this over the last 4 and a bit seasons?'

Question is how much flexibility/say did assistants really have under mick? You can have all the ideas in the world but if the senior coach says no, its a no.

Like all new coaches, give him the chance to impress - if he fails then so be it. But don't hang him beforehand

I was speaking to one assistant coach over the weekend who has frustration every week that plans he'd like to implement don't get taken up. And this is a bloke who shouldn't have a hell of a lot of frustration at all, in my mind.

I would be shocked if Barker doesn't have a number of changes he'll introduce as quickly as practical. Any assistant in the league would.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 8:21 pm 
Craig Bradley

Zeemond wrote:
Fairdinkum, there's no pleasing anyone FFS. You want Malthouse gone, he's gone. You want someone to take over, and some slag off the oppointnent. FMD. How about giving the guy a chance to prove something over the next 14 weeks?

Always quick to flick the switch, but never such a time to give when a requirement to do the deed is needed.

:mad:

Sakc Barker

We are Carlton, @#$%&! the rest !!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 8:37 pm 
formerly King Kenny

Braithy wrote:
barker as a line coach is a different proposition as barker the head coach. he now gets to leave his own footprint.

i'm looking forward to seeing it take shape. gotta be positive.

Exactly. A chance to show his worth with full control of the team.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:14 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

oh bloody hell.........
we'll probably give him a 3 year million dollar contract in a few weeks.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:16 pm 
Trevor Keogh

Looking forward to see the changes in tactics this week.

No more long bombs to no one in the forward

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:44 pm 
Ken Hunter

or

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:45 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

else

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:48 pm 
Wayne Johnston

We

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:50 pm 
Rod Ashman

BigBlueWave wrote:
As much as I thought the Madhouse must go ... appointing Barker is nuts.

So then we shouldnt have sacked MM. Barker on the chopping block already? Your next scapegoat

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:54 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Sorry if this has been posted again in the last few hours, - I'm still catching up! - but just in case here's that article from 2 weeks ago that raised a few eyebrows.

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2015-05-13/no-more-stale-footy

Quote:
“As a coach you’ve got to keep encouraging them to take risks, the worst thing we can do is go into our shells” – that’s what Blues assistant coach John Barker told Radio Sport National on Wednesday morning.

Quote:
We’ve probably seen over the last few weeks, when the game has been on the line, we haven’t played with that same dare and we need to,” Barker said.

“We’ve got a good set of half-backs who can use the ball, who can use their legs, and we need to make sure we make the most of that and not go back into down-the-line, stale footy."

Quote:
“The ball use shows a little bit where the boys’ heads are at and as a group of coaches, and a group of players, we need to drive a bit of energy back into the place – the players need to feel good about themselves. They use the ball really well when they’re confident about themselves,”

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 10:06 pm 
formerly King Kenny

So Barker will cut off a tie for each kick backwards, like his style!

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 10:28 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Blueboy74 wrote:
Sorry if this has been posted again in the last few hours, - I'm still catching up! - but just in case here's that article from 2 weeks ago that raised a few eyebrows.

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2015-05-13/no-more-stale-footy

Quote:
“As a coach you’ve got to keep encouraging them to take risks, the worst thing we can do is go into our shells” – that’s what Blues assistant coach John Barker told Radio Sport National on Wednesday morning.

Quote:
We’ve probably seen over the last few weeks, when the game has been on the line, we haven’t played with that same dare and we need to,” Barker said.

“We’ve got a good set of half-backs who can use the ball, who can use their legs, and we need to make sure we make the most of that and not go back into down-the-line, stale footy."

Quote:
“The ball use shows a little bit where the boys’ heads are at and as a group of coaches, and a group of players, we need to drive a bit of energy back into the place – the players need to feel good about themselves. They use the ball really well when they’re confident about themselves,”

Good pick up.

Lets hope he's able to instill some trust between the players because it appears there's precious little between them at the moment.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 10:30 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Everyone was probably drowning their sorrows by then but King and co ran some tape of the Carlton defensive structures following the Geelong game. All over the place, nobody could believe how undisciplined and unstructured they were. The big criticism was that talent and experience are one thing, simple organisation is something altogether different. Not having people stand in the right places at stoppages literally cost us 2-3 goals. If those clips were representative of what we can look forward to in terms of organisation we are in real trouble.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 12:52 am 
Bruce Doull

Brownnnnnnnnyyyyy OTC also ripped our defence to shreds on Monday night.

Let's be patient and give Barker a go.

But if we haven't seen an improvemet after 10 mins into Q1 on Friday sakc the flower!!!

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 1:13 am 
Geoff Southby

Like everyone else here I don't really know what he will be like, but I am going in with an open mind.

I mean how much worse can the side get? It is so bad anything less than a 10 goal thumping will probably be considered a success this week.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 1:14 am 
Vale 1953-2020

Synbad wrote:
jimmae wrote:
See Tottenham and Tim Sherwood for how this will go

Nobody knows how this will go... Even you..
Barker is totally unknown and comes from our system.
But he's likeable and approachable which does have it's limitations.
In the short term it's what the players need.. For the long term who knows?

Jim.. You're a tripper!

You lost me when you implied that there's something that Jimmae doesn't know.....

#Joogle #Jimmaepedia

After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F .........
Visit http://fromthemoshpit.com/

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 1:16 am 
Vale 1953-2020

cimm1979 wrote:
Donstuie wrote:
Barker taking over :lol: :lol: :lol:

See, I don't get this.

How can anyone know?

Don't they like his media work?

He could be the greatest or worst coach of all time. Who the @#$%&! would know on this site?

Spot on.. I agree with Cimm about something.. Wow. :grin:

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 1:25 am 
Vale 1953-2020

MIL wrote:
Wow....just wow. Barks as senior coach. The bloke is a level 4 certified coach, but gee he's been very average as our Back and Fwd coach you'd have to say.

Matters nought anyway, as purely a caretaker role. At least he's a zany funster sorta dude, so the boys can relax and smile again until the real coach arrives :thumbsup:

Bomber, Boldon, Stewie or Ratts in that order for mine.

Bomber!!???? Are you fer real?? Lock up your wives and daughters and hide the.... er.... white stuff.

Bomber worked in a great system. He left along with their best player and a rookie coach won a flag the very next year. He wouldn't have a Costa or a Cook or a Wells or a Balme here. Just a Loguiduce and a Trigg and a... um.. no-one and a McKay. LOL.

And no Gazz or Bartel or Scarlett or Ling or Harley or Taylor or Corey OR Enright or Mackie or Hawkins or Stevie J or Kelly.... Wow, I'm out of breath and I haven't even started on their B graders..... NO Mooney or Milburn or Lonergan or Stokes...

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 2:05 am 
Ken Hands

It is a whole different thing being senior coach (even if it is only for a 14 game stint) than being a subordinate line coach.

I have no idea what this bloke will do to try to reinvigorate this side. Hopefully he has a few new ideas and is backed to give some of them a try.

The first thing I'll be looking for is a better balance of player types in the named side and on the ground at any one time. Please no more of Warnock, Wood, Casboult, Jones all on the ground at the same time. Secondly more pace outside the stoppages so that we can get back to running the ball from stoppage wins instead of the blind kicks.

I am hoping that he goes with a whole new approach to forward line structure. Walker knows how to lead, send him forward again.

Open mind on it. I wish him the best of luck.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 3:25 am 
John James

camelboy wrote:
killpies wrote:

Just get the good stuff.

'He is a person that may discover that he grows and develops a little more quickly than what might have been initially expected - able to take on bigger things a little earlier than originally anticipated...'

Got that covered too.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 721 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 37  Next