Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:39 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 8:59 am 
Bruce Doull

Let's decide via Carlton's Next Top Coach , or maybe Slobbo should decide.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 9:06 am 
Harry Vallence

The Duke wrote:

The Herald Sun headline this morning should have read, "Mick should walk but Hird to coach at Essendon* for life". The opinions of the fat prick from AFL 360 have zero credibility.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 9:22 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

imo, we have to find the next clarkson, beverdige, hinkley etc ... and let them be totally autonomous and build their vision.

clarkson is used to winning. he's spent a huge amount of energy and health getting the hawks to where they are. do we know he'd have the same to give to us to start all over again here, and from a much, much lower point than what hawthorn were when he arrived?

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 9:23 am 
Bruce Doull

Dukes wrote:
The Duke wrote:

The Herald Sun headline this morning should have read, "Mick should walk but Hird to coach at Essendon** for life". The opinions of the fat prick from AFL 360 have zero credibility.

Hadn't thought of that. Unbelievable. This from the #1 footy writer at the HS :screwy: .

We don't want to salvage some of this season and get back up to 12th. We need quality players and the only way you can do that is via the draft - The pointy end of the draft. A change of coach right now might give us some false hope via 3-4 wins and our supporters will kid themselves that we're a year or so from top 4. That's Richmond.

We need pick 1 - and at least two more in the top 20 and we need stability. The only way we are going to be able to compete with GWS, GC and Sydney in the next decade is to have quality on our list.

If we think we can get quality via picks 8, 26, 44, 62 and Rookie selections xxxxxxx we're fools.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 9:31 am 
Rod Ashman

Like someone said, they are just taking the piss.
BV's on the money.
That's all most of us are asking.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 9:45 am 
Bruce Doull

kennyhunter wrote:
Like someone said, they are just taking the piss.
BV's on the money.
That's all most of us are asking.

Yes - I agree. But maybe as far as Mick is concerned, he should realise his position as head coach at any club is finished and we could offer him a place on that panel.

Love him or hate him, Mick has more experience in football than anyone - ever. You prove yourself a complete dick if you let that sort of experience walk out the door.

Silvagni's report just played on SEN is spot on IMO. We are 5 years from being competitive with top 4 teams. And given you can only replace 3-4 players per season we need some time at the base of the ladder.

We're not Sydney - we can't poach the next superstar at will. We're not GC and GWS - we don't have 28 10 year players on our list.

We are Carlton - and we're [REDACTED]. [REDACTED] by the system, [REDACTED] by ourselves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 9:52 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

I agree that we need the solid footy dept behind it.
I'd argue we would be crazy not to take Clarko if we can get him.
We already have SOS..and with Clarko as well,
We can attract the quality of coaches and footy admin staff that BV speaks of.
We woild be an incredibly attractive place for players and staff to come to and rebuild together.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 10:21 am 
Horrie Clover

We are years away no matter who's coaching us. Use the draft and develop, then trade in the players you need to take the next step.
Trading picks for spuds is not going to get us where we want to be. And for gods sake lets get some genuine KPP's.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 10:35 am 
Bruce Doull

Clarkson copped plenty of heat in his early years too, plus had the benefit of North Melbourne's generosity at the trade table.

We probably don't have the patience for the former, or the good fortune of the latter.

That said, he has matured into an excellent coach. A total cauliflower of a person, but a fine coach.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 10:51 am 
Bruce Doull

It's not just a solid football department.
We need a different culture

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 10:54 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

You really just need to reach tipping point.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 11:25 am 
Rod McGregor

The Duke wrote:
ThePsychologist wrote:
Clarko is a top coach but how would he go at our club. We are a mess.

If a coach like Clarko came in he would want to run and revamp the whole football department. The board's ego won't allow that. That's one problem MM has. How could we afford him anyway?

Personally I think we need a clean out and a proper process to recruit the best coach. No messiahs!

Q. What makes him a good coach
A. Good players.

If he could get Dangerfield and Dixon over the line I might re-consider.

What will Dangerfield and Dixon do for us other than screw our salary cap even further ... More bandaid approaches ... But trust me that is what they are trying to do ... The quick fix, the marketing dollars ... Total disregard for on field success and the future ... However my word on the st is that no one wants to come here ... But that won't stop the powers to be upping the $$ we throw at them ... Exactly what the player managers want ... Trust me this hole is going to get much bigger ... Unless someone manages to find that broom to sweep the place clean ...

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 11:36 am 
Harry Vallence

This is the typical Carlton way go and get the best at another Club. Sick of hearing this why not try and find our own Clarko. We will never move with the times until the supporters do :banghead:

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 11:43 am 
Wayne Johnston

scottopee wrote:
This is the typical Carlton way go and get the best at another Club. Sick of hearing this why not try and find our own Clarko. We will never move with the times until the supporters do :banghead:

:thumbsup:

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 11:49 am 
Bruce Doull

bluegirl72 wrote:

When the board pisses off and the club has a different smell abiou it

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 11:59 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Synbad wrote:
bluegirl72 wrote:

Yeah
Well see , in my fantasy synners,
Clarko has a big punch up with them in the board room ..not jeannie of course...
And the big table gets smashed.
He chases them out into the car park..
And like in all good movies
They flee, doing burn outs as they hurry forever from PP.
SOS and all the new staff wave them off from behind the safety of their office windows.
Jeannie goes to have a nice cup of tea in the cafe..where the edelston sign is burning on the floor..
The camera pans out as she murmurs...
I never liked them anyway.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 12:07 pm 
Bruce Doull

I think it's safe to say I won't be changing anytime soon bg ;)

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 12:09 pm 
Bruce Doull

It's frightening to consider that we may not have reached tipping point.

Agree totally that the board needs to be capable of providing a modern vision and credible pathway for the footy department to follow.

Does the MLG-Trigg partnership have the ability to match or better the likes of Costa–Cook, Colless-Ireland or the blueprint provided by Dicker-Dunstall? That's the level we need our administration and leadership to be at. If we reach that then, in theory, coaching appointments etc will look after themselves.

formerly cj69

chubbyruss wrote:
scottopee wrote:

:thumbsup:

:clap:

Rod McGregor

Synbad wrote:
bluegirl72 wrote:

Sadly won't be happening anytime soon

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next