Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:29 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3474 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 174  Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:41 pm 
Robert Walls

Steve_C7 wrote:
Synbad wrote:
sounds fantastic that board... but unaccountable

who pays for the mistakes of the board ???

the club does... not them...

as for the pratts being philanthropists.

if u steal hundreds of millions from australians i suppose you can give a small % back and say the words "philanthropy is fun"

I think you missed my point in respect to current board.

The current board lacks people from highly competitive businesses. Virtually no-one our current board has to think outside the square in order to grow their business, they are either from service businesses or monopolies.

This is why our club is always reactive and often misses the opportunities, whilst other clubs are so much more advanced than us in areas such as marketing, membership, branding, sponsorship etc.

I won't comment on your comments regarding the Pratts as I understand the nature of doing business too well to come to your summation of the Visy saga.

Interesting comments re: the mentality behind running service orientated businesses and monopolies...

My gut feel is thinking outside the square/box is more of a personal trait that is spread across all types of businesses and can be as important and prevalent in service type businesses and monopolies

I tend to focus on the motives behind directors becoming involved in sporting club like Carlton.

If it's just a part time gimicky type motive, treating the club as a toy or a stepping stone to other end goals, then the results will not only be predictable but mediocre at best.

This is precisely why the recently formed Young Carlton Professionals and their Think tank, received so much criticism that the thread was locked. We still dont know what its agenda is, why there is restricted membership based upon age and this vague category called "professional". But it fits into the Clubs general working model of exclusivity and shutting out members from knowing whats going on and why. Our new President is yet to outline his long term vision. I am sure there is one - why isnt it communicated to members and the public?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:17 pm 
Harry Vallence

Cretylus wrote:
Steve_C7 wrote:
Synbad wrote:

if u steal hundreds of millions from australians i suppose you can give a small % back and say the words "philanthropy is fun"

The current board lacks people from highly competitive businesses. Virtually no-one our current board has to think outside the square in order to grow their business, they are either from service businesses or monopolies.

This is why our club is always reactive and often misses the opportunities, whilst other clubs are so much more advanced than us in areas such as marketing, membership, branding, sponsorship etc.

I won't comment on your comments regarding the Pratts as I understand the nature of doing business too well to come to your summation of the Visy saga.

Interesting comments re: the mentality behind running service orientated businesses and monopolies...

My gut feel is thinking outside the square/box is more of a personal trait that is spread across all types of businesses and can be as important and prevalent in service type businesses and monopolies

I think you may have misunderstood my comment, I didn't say that the board members can't think outside the square, I said that they don't HAVE to think outside the square to GROW THEIR BUSINESS (please don't think I am being rude, just emphasizing the context)

They very well may challenge the status quo, however I have yet to see any evidence as yet that suggests to me that we are emerging from our slumber.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:41 pm 
Robert Walls

Steve_C7 wrote:
Cretylus wrote:
Steve_C7 wrote:
Synbad wrote:

I think you may have misunderstood my comment, I didn't say that the board members can't think outside the square, I said that they don't HAVE to think outside the square to GROW THEIR BUSINESS (please don't think I am being rude, just emphasizing the context)

They very well may challenge the status quo, however I have yet to see any evidence as yet that suggests to me that we are emerging from our slumber.

You did say that our board lacks directors from highly competitive businesses, ie the service sector and monopolies, and so they don't NEED to think outside the square.

Why would you assume that the service industries and monopolies don't have competitive environments? In any case, the Mathesons as well as the Pratts don't run monopolies, their businesses may be big but not strictly monopolies. Oligopolies or duopolies perhaps in the case of Visy and Amcor.

I still think its all due to personal agendas and motives for joining a sporting organisation at board level, as well as the culture within the club. Fahour for example seems to on the bench very game. Why is he been shut out of all of this?

The two commercial areas in Australia that are dominated by two or several corporate players are the supermarket industry (Coles and woolworths) and the banking sector.

Virtually a complete dominance of their respective markets and yet it isn't enough. They still want more. They are still thinking outside the square.

It's the way the Corpocracy works. Its a form of fascism

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:29 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Steve_C7 wrote:

I understand where you're coming from - but I think you should look at Luke Sayers and what he's done as CEO of PWC. Ryan Trainor also very capable of ingenuity and thinking outside the square. They have the runs on the board at business level - but are hamstrung at board level. Time to throw the shackles off and those shackles are the Pratts' and Mathiesons'. No need to cut the entire board - LoGuidice can stay as President - but the Oligarchs and the dead wood must go.

So that would equate to Pratt, Gleeson, Kernahan, Mathieson, Fried, Clarke, Lee and Geminder gone. I'm sure most out there are pretty happy to work with LoGuidice, Trainor, Fahour and Sayers who should all be given a chance to show what they can do without the factional influence. Need at least 2 more (as per the Constitutional requirements). Need to decide what the optimal board number is. I think between 6-9 and as Steve said - get a few on board who HAVE to think OUTSIDE the square and are prepared to put some time into the football club. Might even be able to get Harold Mitchell on for some guidance. As Kochie has shown at Port - the off-field turnaround can be swift and it can have quick results.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:50 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

sounds great, but dear doc,
how..
how move out those that need to go?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:58 pm 
Bruce Doull

From the members' email...

Quote:
Dear Liam

As a valued member of our great football club I wanted to take this opportunity to formally introduce myself.

As you may be aware at Saturday’s game against the West Coast Eagles, President Stephen Kernahan announced that the Carlton Board had finalised the succession plan that had been in place since November 2013.

Stephen’s tenure as a Director, which began in 1997, comes to an end this season, in line with Carlton’s constitution.

He has been a tremendous servant of the Club both on the field, as a legendary player and off the field, leading us through some of the toughest times in the Club's history.

Accepting the role as Carlton's next President, in the year of our 150th anniversary is a humbling experience, having been a lifelong Carlton supporter and member of the Carltonians, Carlton’s original and longest serving coterie group, for more than 19 years.

I am the Managing Director of Crawfords Group, a family-owned investment and development company, involved in commercial, industrial and retail property. I live in Melbourne with my wife and three sons.

Outside of my work I am a long time member of RCH 1000, which raises much needed funding for research at the Royal Children’s Hospital.

My approach as President will be to provide the stability and governance to unite all aspects of our club that will enable us to flourish and succeed.

Carlton is a great club and the vast majority of us have grown up in an era of great success. That is what we all want to return to and at the appropriate time, in the near future I will provide more detail about moving forward.

It is with a genuine passion for the Carlton Football Club that I look forward to leading us through the next chapter of our rich history.

I hope to meet many of you in the coming weeks as we celebrate our 150th year.

Go Blues!

Yours sincerely
Mark LoGiudice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:04 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Well said Jay Mark! :clap:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:13 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

"My approach as President will be to provide the stability and governance to unite all aspects of our club that will enable us to flourish and succeed."

I dunno but I sought of read that as his approach is just to keep the status quo re both the Pratts and the Mathiesons money coming in... ?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:17 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Rexy wrote:
I dunno but I sought of read that as his approach is just to keep the status quo re both the Pratts and the Mathiesons money coming in... ?

Time will tell. He needs to head-hunt a CEO first.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:20 pm 
Craig Bradley

Sticks? Makes sense. No longer bound by that pesky constitution.

HAVE YOU SIGNED UP FOR TALKINGCARLTON SUPERCOACH 2009 YET?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:40 pm 
Robert Walls

I wonder how Koshie was "thinking out of the box" when he inherited a financial mess at Port with what most experts described as a poor list in 2012?

Demanded honesty and work ethic from everyone in the organisation, got hold of a down to earth smart coach in Hinkley and everything went upwards from there - from the very first training session that Hinkley took.

Yes ladies and gentlemen - honesty and work ethic is thinking out of the box. Revolutionary!

We at carlton however form YCPs with Think Tanks, and have sausage sizzles and book tours.

But it does look as though the penny has dropped with the players ladies and gentlemen.

Apparently Brock Maclean relayed a message to some of the players in the last quarter against the eagles, that the teams workrate was not good enough....

The Great Robert Wiley noticed this drop in workrate at the 10 minute mark of the last quarter but kept it to himself on the boundary line. Brock had to interrogate Wiley to extract this wisdom.

Obviously the workrate in the first 4 rounds of the season was satisfactory but just fell slightly in the last quarter against the eagles.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:58 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

bluegirl72 wrote:
sounds great, but dear doc,
how..
how move out those that need to go?

They need to be told! It's really as simple as that. LoGuidice is President now - we'll know his true colors soon enough if he maintains the status quo. I'd like to see a few step down who have been there a long time... let others have a go. It's a stale board. They might think otherwise because they all get along ok - but they're in a bubble and they need to understand that they're operating as if it's 1990. LoGuidice could sink or swim. He could be a great President - but it's really up to him. I've been in front of Bruce Mathieson before - he brings an entourage - mainly other fatties in suits - but you're immediately drawn to Bruce's gold...rings, necklaces, cufflinks....he's like a white man's Mr.T. LoGuidice will need big balls to change the Mathieson model....hope he can cut the umbilical chord...but again - it's up to him.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:42 pm 
Harry Vallence

Does anyone really think we will be sitting here in a years time saying- Wow what an innovative,dynamic Board we`ve got now?

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:20 pm 
Wayne Johnston

Blues push AFL for new MCG deal

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/blues-push ... zr2ss.html

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 9:16 pm 
Bruce Doull

chubbyruss wrote:

dont u just love that old chestnut!

its the mcg and the good friday footy and pokies and the youth think tank

how about something different???

something like visy park matches or something .....

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 9:20 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Synbad wrote:
chubbyruss wrote:

dont u just love that old chestnut!

its the mcg and the good friday footy and pokies and the youth think tank

how about something different???

something like visy park matches or something .....

Don't give them any ideas.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 9:52 pm 
Rod Ashman

chubbyruss wrote:

Carlton should put its foot down hard and threaten legal action if we do not get a strong mcg deal

crappyhad is wrecking our club and WE MUST GET OUT....

Make a stand Mark!

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 10:16 pm 
Robert Walls

Mosquito Fleet wrote:
chubbyruss wrote:

Carlton should put its foot down hard and threaten legal action if we do not get a strong mcg deal

crappyhad is wrecking our club and WE MUST GET OUT....

Make a stand Mark!

....we should end up with something better at the MCG seeing as one of the AFL's blue chip licenses will be trashed very soon

Someone must fill in the void after the carnage

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 1:38 am 
Laurie Kerr

Every time I see that MCG line trotted out I just roll my eyes.

It's really not that big of a deal where we play, so long as the next deal at Etihad, for however many games, is substantially better than the current one.

Maybe my finger is so far removed from the pulse I've missed this groundswell of anti-Etihad fervour that is driving the club to move to the 'G. Do that many Members genuinely care? Do that many supporters opt not to join because we play less games at the 'G than they'd like? Is a move there going to result in a substantial spike in membership sales?

If that article is to be believed we've less work to do in access memberships than we do in providing more attractive non-access packages. And it's fair to say if you're buying a non-access membership you're probably not too fussed about where the games are played.

There was this notion flying around that we couldn't play or win at Etihad, remember? It was proffered as an excuse as to why we should move, rather than fix whatever the issue was that was leading to defeats. As an aside, more than anything that poor record at Etihad likely had more to do with the quality of opposition than any inability to play the ground, whatever that means. I recall us playing the majority of those matches against Etihad tenant teams who were fairly good at the time (Geelong, Hawthorn, St. Kilda among them).

It has seemed all along like a fairly half-hearted call to arms, one that the supporter base neither really cares about or is keen to properly engage.

If the Club feels they can offer a better product to members by moving to the 'G then fine. And by product its the whole package: seats, members areas and all that. I get this 'we deserve to play at the 'G' vibe, which, again, is nonsense. We don't deserve anything based on things that happened 20+ years ago.

Perhaps it's just the message itself I never warmed to. Maybe it needed to be simpler and less to do with aligning it or badging it as a return home of sorts:

"We want to offer the best gameday experience for our members and supporters, with a stadium agreement that is fair, reasonable and mutually beneficial for both the Club and venue.

It is out commitment to you to pursue agreements that are in the best interests of the Club financially, whilst at the same time allowing us to grow our supporter base.

We feel as though the best way to do this is by playing a greater number of our home matches at the best arena in the world, the MCG.

In order for the AFL to endorse this request and ensure we're in the strongest possible position to negotiate our upcoming stadium deal, we require more members..."

And so on and so forth.

We used to be so good

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 7:19 am 
Bruce Doull

spot on

the rest is popularism.. 2 extra games doesnt change the identity of this club

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3474 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 174  Next