Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 10:21 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Mental strength
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:11 pm 
Bruce Doull

Mental toughness has long been a weakness of ours. Hopefully, in the last week or two we're starting to develop some real self belief, even if it's come off the back of some unlikely results.

I'm not too fussed about the result next week, I just want us to have a real crack and run harder than the Swans for longer.

Importantly, hopefully our players can learn from their performances over the last two weeks and cotinue to develop a strong mental edge.

Post subject: Re: Mental strength
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:42 pm 
formerly cj69

I understand your point but its more about culture and belief than mental strength.

MM is bringing a winning culture back to Carlton. It's expected.

It's why tanking is so dangerous. We have a long way to go but each week we are in with a chance.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:44 pm 
Harry Vallence

Culture comes from experience. Malthouse has willed these guys to it, that's mental strength there. The culture will follow.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:54 pm 
Bruce Doull

It's as though the players need a 'challenge' to get the job done. Winning a game over 4 solid quarters isn't a challenge, hence why we cough up leads late in games. But coming back from 5+ goals is a challenge, and the players throw more into it and throw their personal shackles off.

It shits me no end, but the highs can be exhilarating. It's just that the team needs to learn how to win games in a more boring way too.

(that, or start us 30 points down at the opening bounce)

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:11 pm 
Harry Vallence

After lambasting the whole team minus Simmo for having no heart, the whole team stood up under finals footy pressure. Where did it come from? Just from knowing that if they lost their season would be over. And I think Mick's experience in finals did rub off on the boys - and that's why our board recruited him. Juddy led the way & our dishonest tryers all turned it around on the big stage. Well done boys but it all counts for very little if we don't take to the Swans next week - can't afford to give them a start and fight our way back - four quarters of what we had in the second half today please. Mentally tough and hard body finals footy. Honestly I didn't think we had it in us. You could bottle the look of disbelieve on Princes Park Whistler's face after the final siren, he couldn't believe that we'd won. We played finals footy today and we can keep on winning if we do it with heart and self belief. GO BLUES!

Blue is the colour, Blue is our colourful conversation, football is the game, talking carlton is our aim, we're all together, we're all together, winning is our aim, arguing is a pain, let's debate for gain. .. .!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:01 am 
Harry Vallence

It was a Grand Final atmosphere. Great experience for our boys going forward.

NOW YOU'RE JUST SOME CLUB THAT I USED TO KNOW.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:35 am 
Stephen Kernahan

George Harris wrote:

Not to mention those deep in defence.

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:02 am 
Serge Silvagni

camelboy wrote:
Mental toughness has long been a weakness of ours. Hopefully, in the last week or two we're starting to develop some real self belief, even if it's come off the back of some unlikely results.

I'm not too fussed about the result next week, I just want us to have a real crack and run harder than the Swans for longer.

Importantly, hopefully our players can learn from their performances over the last two weeks and cotinue to develop a strong mental edge.

Agree with everything except "I am not to fussed about result"

Swans are ripe for the picking

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:45 am 
Bruce Doull

yeah u wanna knock of swans.. and then go to a nice big ground out at freo..... :thumbsup:

MM the winningest coach in AFL history..... does amazing things with some ordinaty lists
#believe :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:47 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

I think the game said that Richmond were not good enough to play tempo footy
They tried to slow the game down to early and to often and didnt have the skills to pull it off

Good come back but they should have realised that the umps gave them the lead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:50 am 
formerly cj69

George Harris wrote:

It was amazing. Even better than a GF IMO. You had mostly supporters of both sides and not independents.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:53 am 
Harry Vallence

ThePsychologist wrote:
George Harris wrote:

It was amazing. Even better than a GF IMO. You had mostly supporters of both sides and not independents.

There was such amazing Carlton noise considering the amount of supporters we had in relation to Richmond. The atmosphere in that game was electric

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:54 am 
Bruce Doull

nck wrote:
ThePsychologist wrote:
George Harris wrote:

There was such amazing Carlton noise considering the amount of supporters we had in relation to Richmond. The atmosphere in that game was electric

check the noise when jeffy got the intercept and was off to the races... :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:56 am 
formerly cj69

Synbad wrote:
nck wrote:
ThePsychologist wrote:
George Harris wrote:

check the noise when jeffy got the intercept and was off to the races... :thumbsup:

That and Judd's goal in the last. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:10 am 
Harry Vallence

Judd's goal brought the house down. We weren't meant be there. He wasn't meant to be there. And that was the Richmond heart breaker!

NOW YOU'RE JUST SOME CLUB THAT I USED TO KNOW.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:18 am 
Harry Vallence

Judd's goal was probably the highlight but for me there was just something about the way that every bounce that Garlett took towards goal was the realisation we had actually 100% won, we couldn't lose.

I just checked on the AFL torrents site and it has the radio commentary from MMM, SEN and ABC. Going to have a listen to their commentary of the Judd and Garlett goals tonight

Post subject: Re: Re: Mental strength
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:59 am 
Ken Hunter

nck wrote:
Judd's goal was probably the highlight but for me there was just something about the way that every bounce that Garlett took towards goal was the realisation we had actually 100% won, we couldn't lose.

I just checked on the AFL torrents site and it has the radio commentary from MMM, SEN and ABC. Going to have a listen to their commentary of the Judd and Garlett goals tonight

Same here.

We have been in so many close games this year that we haven't won where came back from deficits and not gotten there (take your pick), lost games we shouldn't have (Essendon*) and overall there have been a lot of teams pulling a win out of the hat in the dying minutes (anyone against Norf)

Even tho they would have needed like three goals in a couple of minutes I still didn't believe we had it until I saw Jeff run into that empty forward line and slam it through.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:05 am 
Bruce Doull

nck wrote:

Loved the Garlett goal... he did them slowly..... but still fast!!! :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:41 am 
Rod Ashman

The reason for our mental strength is mick malthouse

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:28 pm 
Geoff Southby

Mental strength comes from the players actually doing it, the North win was a big step forward even though we were a bit fortunate.

Recently we have been getting over the line in games because they now believe they can, they see the hard work they do can pay off, and not tightening up as much.

If the trend continues we should be even better next season, but lets play for the here and now.

It would be a massive achievement to win on Saturday night.