Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:42 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:03 pm 
Rod Ashman

Not sure that we'll finish top, but as long as we don't get ravaged by injuries again, there's no reason why we can't be right up there challenging.

We finished in a false position last season due to being decimated by injuries not only to key players but also their understudies. I have no doubt that we would comfortably have made the finals last season had we not been struck down as we were.

Our list is in good shape, we have lots of options and a coach who is widely considered to be one of, if not the best in the business. We should have a good year.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:22 pm 
Harry Vallence

We missed top 4 by less than a kick in 2011 missing 3 of our top 6 and an apparently inept coach. Can't believe people don't think we should be top 4 this year.

Given the talent on our list, top/flag should not be out if reach.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:28 pm 
Rod Ashman

Agreed. 2011 and the improvement curve from 2008-2011 is the better indicator than the aberration (due to injury) that was 2012.

People have obviously been spooked by what happened last season when the fact is that injuries just destroyed any chance we had.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:32 pm 
Bruce Comben

Hi fella's,yes as we know injuries play a big part in what can or cant happen for our team come september,i think this year we have a little more depth which is always a good thing along with some young talent coming up through the ranks should see us in better stead this coming year,cheer's Murph....

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:21 pm 
Geoff Southby

Making ladder predictions this time of year is an absolute mug's game, but anyway here's mine........ :yikes:

Hawthorn
West Coast
Sydney
Geelong
Fremantle
Adelaide
Collingwood
Richmond

Essendon*
Carlton
North Melbourne
St Kilda
Brisbane
Melbourne
Western Bulldogs
Port Adelaide
GWS
Gold Coast

Hawthorn has to start as premiership favourites and I think the Eagles will be there or thereabouts this year.

However.....Beware the Cats!! That's my tip for 2013. They have a good draw and are still a premiership threat. Despite losing the ageing Scarlett, the Cats have improved their list, they are well coached and are ready to go IMO. I'd laugh my arse off if they carried their 'hoodoo' over the Hawks into the GF and revenge 2008 (I'm not a big fan of Clarko, in case you can't tell, and Bruce's regular Friday night furious masturbations over Cyril and Buddy has made me dislike Hawthorn even more.....but, putting those irrational feelings aside, you must respect the Hawks and they should win the flag in 2013.....unless someone can spoil the party like Sydney did last year, and I reckon Geelong is the most likely to be capable of doing it).

For me, Collingwood are the great unknown factor going into 2013. I've gone the 'safe' option and lumped them as 7th, but I can equally see them making the top 4 as bombing out and missing the finals totally. The latter is unlikely, but I'm just not quite sure what we're going to get from the Pies in 2013.....

Adelaide has too good a midfield and too good a draw to not make the finals, and unless Pavlich goes down I can't see Freo not making the finals.

About this time last year, I think I upset a few TCers by saying I thought that a lot would have to go right for Carlton to make the 8 (let alone the top 4). To be quite honest, I think the same applies this year. Don't get me wrong, I think we'll be right in the mix for a 5th-8th finals spot (I think there will be very little difference between Fremantle & North on the above ladder) - but we'll need luck with injury and in close games to finish ahead of the teams I have above us. I don't agree that injury was the only reason we didn't make the top 4 last year - I think we still have some issues that Malthouse can't change in one pre-season. A tough early season draw doesn't help. :banghead:

I've gone with Richmond to nudge ahead of Essendon*, us & NM for 8th spot. I know it's risky business to back the Tigers, but I think they have finally got their act together....Their midfield is equally as dynamic as ours, and by the end of 2013 will perhaps have gone past ours. They have a key forward who stays on the park, can kick 70 goals in a season and has developed into an unselfish footballer. Their defence is still a question mark, but is getting better. Their list runs deeper than it has in years. Like all teams, but particularly the teams in that 5th-11th bracket (including us), the Tigers can't afford injuries to key players and will need their "bottom 6" to step up, but I almost think a spot in the 8 is their's to lose at this stage. Unlike us, the Tigers have had stability in their coaching ranks and the addition of Choco Williams will help them along. Their supporters will be unbearable over the next few years.... :roll:

Essendon* of course may finish lower than 9th if players get suspended for alleged "irregular practices" etc, but otherwise I think the effect of the controversy will be that it brings the players closer and they won't be an easy side to beat in 2013 IMO.

St Kilda might be in trouble. Unlike the Cats & the Swans, the Saints weren't able to keep improving their list through smart recruiting while they were at the top end of the ladder (a la Bulldogs). They are staying competitive at the moment because the likes of Hayes, Riewoldt & Milne have hung on....but the end comes quickly sometimes for players like that and when there isn't a great deal coming up from underneath, sides can fall away suddenly. Maybe I'm underestimating what the Saints have in their ranks, but I can see them slipping down to bottom 4 in the next few years as GWS & GC start to lift themselves up.

Anyway, as I said, ladder predictions this time of year are a fairly pointless exercise probably, but I thought I'd have a go because (a) it's a bit of fun; (b) it's in the spirit of the thread; and (c) I wanted to get in before the media 'experts' start publishing their predictions....

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:11 pm 
Craig Bradley

Ah, I see, reverse psychology

We are Carlton, @#$%&! the rest !!!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:46 pm 
Harry Vallence

Wojee wrote:
Just got bailed up by a Collingwood supporter at work who genuinely predicts a Carlton Vs WCE grand final.

If this happens then I'm moving interstate for a week or two.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:26 pm 
Robert Walls

Wojee wrote:
Just got bailed up by a Collingwood supporter at work who genuinely predicts a Carlton Vs WCE grand final.

Eagles aren't good enough to win at the MCG in September, they would need 2 home finals to even make the GF.

Feelgood Hit of the Winter - GHRP-2, GHRP-6, CJC-1295, AOD-9604, Humanofort and Hexarelin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:59 pm 
Geoff Southby

teagueyubeauty wrote:
Ah, I see, reverse psychology

Nah mate, just calling it as I see it.

I reckon there's realistically 12 teams fighting for 8 spots in the finals. We're in that group of 12, but working out the 4 teams in the group that we are better than (assuming all things being equal with injury & results in close games), and therefore finish in front of, isn't easy. I reckon you could throw a blanket over the likes of us, Richmond, Essendon* & North at the moment. The draw becomes a factor too.

Right at the moment, I just don't see us as a legitimate premiership threat in 2013....

And I would LOVE SO MUCH that statement to come back and bite me in the backside in 7 months time. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:03 pm 
Bruce Doull

Things never go pear-shaped for us when we get hyped up in the media...

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:54 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I agree that it's difficult to make predictions at this time of year - below are my comments

aboynamedsue wrote:
Making ladder predictions this time of year is an absolute mug's game, but anyway here's mine........ :yikes:

Hawthorn - Agreed
West Coast - Not sure. Can the ageing Cox, Glass & Kerr maintain their 2012 form?
Sydney - Top 8 but not top 4. Premiership hangover plus the ageing O'Keefe, Goodes and Bolton should cause them to drop a little.
Geelong - I doubt it. Scarlett a huge loss and the likes of Chapman, Corey and Enright on their last legs.
Fremantle - Fair call
Adelaide - Fair call
Collingwood - Higher. I have them as the 2nd best side behind Hawthorn.
Richmond - Fair call

Essendon* - Fair call
Carlton - On paper I think we have a list the equal of Sydney last year. We should make the top 8 and if Malthouse can significantly improve our performances at Etihad top 4 is a real chance. Like the Swans last year we will need luck with injuries to go deep in Sept.
North Melbourne - Fair call
St Kilda - As ABNS pointed out they potentially could be bottom 4.Brisbane
Melbourne
Western Bulldogs
Port Adelaide
GWS
Gold Coast

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:46 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Didn't Richmond have the same midfield last year?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:54 pm 
Geoff Southby

All things being equal I see no reason we can't be at least top 6, and possibly top 4. No reason why we shouldn't be aiming for a flag this year, most of our side is ready to peak.

No way known Richmond will make the 8, let alone be above us, people are deceived by their top liners, and last year they had bugger all injuries (especially compared to us and Essendon*)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:28 am 
Bruce Doull

Given we were expecting to be top 4 last year I'm not sure why some people are afraid to expect that again in 2013.

The list has more experience, a better understanding of how shit failure is and, we hope, a much better coach at the helm to remedy the error of their ways.

Don't be afraid, embrace your inner Huddo, stand tall and shout out:

SEVENTEEN, SEVENTEEN!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:01 am 
Geoff Southby

I'm ready to predict we'll finish 1 or 2. It has to happen, its time.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:18 pm 
Craig Bradley

West Coast
Fremantle
Collingwood
Adelaide
Carlton
Sydney
Richmond
Brisbane
---------
Hawthorn
North Melbourne
Geelong
Essendon*
Melbourne
St Kilda
Bulldogs
Gold Coast
Port
GWS

HAVE YOU SIGNED UP FOR TALKINGCARLTON SUPERCOACH 2009 YET?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:41 pm 
Geoff Southby

camelboy wrote:
Given we were expecting to be top 4 last year I'm not sure why some people are afraid to expect that again in 2013

Who expected us to be top 4 last year?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:12 am 
formerly Yazzamatazz

The coach...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:30 am 
Bruce Doull

Donstuie wrote:
Things never go pear-shaped for us when we get hyped up in the media...

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:02 am 
Geoff Southby

Yazzamatazz wrote:
The coach...

Exactly. Now ex-coach.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next