Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 2:34 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:42 pm 
Bruce Doull

As seen during the Brownlow telecast on Monday night...

[youtube]R_WKs9105KA[/youtube]

Would love to hear from any Blues fans that were lucky enough to have been at the MCG on this day. :beer:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:48 am 
Garry Crane

Well as a 14 year old i was lucky enough to experience the whole range
of emotions that day. Almost in tears (probably was) at half time and
almost inexplicable sheer elation at the end of the game.

Its my second favourite game ever, after the 79 grand final of course
when my boyhood hero reached the ultimate accolade.

Oh, added bonus, beating those ferals from Lulie Street both times !!
If you never stood on those poxy old terraces and got spat on as a kid
by brewery workers who imbibed on their 12 cans by half time, well lets
just say thats not quite the same experience as a corporate box at
bloody Etihad Staium is it.

Its about HISTORY, thats why i sincerely hope the maggots get their
collective pants pulled down on the weekend, when they least expect it.
No OTHER club would book a room to celebrate a expected Brownlow victory
or line up a big venue for post match celebrations...and actually advertise it ?

Chrysthantheum THEM !!!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:16 am 
Harry Vallence

17 years old.

Camped out at Princes Park with a couple of mates to get tickets.

Sat on first level of Ponsford stand (think it may have still been the Western stand in 1970) directly behind the goals.

Didn't really expect to win but very disappointed at first half performance.

Fantastic third quarter but when Twiggy Dunne (I think) kicked last goal to put them back to 17 (?) point lead feeling was that we may have spent all our petrol tickets.

Last quarter was unbelieveably exciting.

Brent C put us ahead and then Jezza let fly from about 65 metres on his left foot. The section I was in was full of Carlton fans (tickets bought at PP) and everyone stood as the ball pitched and began it's inexorable march forward. We were pleading and beckoning the ball to continue towards us. As the last ounce of energy Jezza had imparted was expended the ball fell over the line to put the Blues 10 points to the good and seal the premiership.

Upon the siren, unforgettable joy and scenes I've never seen repeated. Strangers were embracing and kissing each other. Surely, no club song has ever been sung longer or with more passion. A mate's father (who I had secued a ticket for) who had bred and owned a spring carnival group winner only 2 years previous lifted me aloft and, with tears running down his face, thanked me for giving him the greatest day of his life.

Joy was unconfined and there was dancing in the street.

Last edited by kkk on Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:35 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

kkk wrote:
17 years old.

Camped out at Princes Park with a couple of mates to get tickets.

Sat on first level of Ponsford stand (think it may have still been the Western stand in 1970) directly behind the goals.

Didn't really expect to win but very disappointed at first half performance.

Fantastic third quarter but when Twiggy Dunne (I think) kicked last goal to put them back to 17 (?) point lead feeling was that we may have spent all our petrol tickets.

Last quarter was unbelieveably exciting.

Brent C put us ahead and then Jezza let fly from about 65 metres on his left foot. The section I was in was full of Carlton fans (tickets bought at PP) and everyone stood as the ball pitched and began it's inexorable march forward. We were pleading and beckoning the ball to continue towards us. As the last ounce of energy Jezza had delivered subsided the ball fell over the line to put the Blues 10 points to the good and seal the premiership.

Upon the siren, unforgettable joy and scenes I've never seen repeated. Strangers were embracing and kissing each other. Surely, no club song has ever been sung longer or with more passion. A mate's father (who I had secued a ticket for) who had bred and owned a spring carnival group winner only 2 years previous lifted me aloft and, with tears running down his face, thanked me for giving him the greatest day of his life.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Love these stories. Keep 'em coming!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:41 am 
Rod McGregor

This is a picture we will never forget.
We forget how bad things were at half time.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:11 am 
Harry Vallence

My kids noted their slightly deranged father in that video clip Camel.

As was also the case in 1968 i managed to alude the "red coats" and found myself on the ground and in the thick of the post match celebrations.Many familiar faces from the cheer squad at the time also feature.

It was a simply remarkable day. We had front row seats on the fence in front of the Northern stand so we were in the thick of things.

The noise that 121k people can make cannot be adequately described. Nothing better illustrated this than Jezza's bouncing goal that sealed the match in the last quarter. Remember in those days Grand Finals were for the REAL supporters not "Corporate theatre goers".

I note Delhi is copping flack for the lack of facilities in their new stadiums but i would contend that they would be palaces compared to the MCG in 1970. An enduring memory was of a sea of sewerage as the facilities simply fell apart under the strain of 120,700 people.

Fortunately we had seats and some room to move unlike the poor sods in standing room. Most of those poor buggers were trapped in there from 8.00 a.m.
There was plenty of drinking going on and no way out.You can guess the consequences of that!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:03 am 
Bruce Doull

25 was always special wrote:
Its about HISTORY, thats why i sincerely hope the maggots get their
collective pants pulled down on the weekend, when they least expect it.
No OTHER club would book a room to celebrate a expected Brownlow victory
or line up a big venue for post match celebrations...and actually advertise it ?

Chrysthantheum THEM !!!!!!!

kkk wrote:

7dominator wrote:
...As was also the case in 1968 i managed to alude the "red coats" and found myself on the ground and in the thick of the post match celebrations.Many familiar faces from the cheer squad at the time also feature.

It was a simply remarkable day. We had front row seats on the fence in front of the Northern stand so we were in the thick of things.

The noise that 121k people can make cannot be adequately described. Nothing better illustrated this than Jezza's bouncing goal that sealed the match in the last quarter...

Awesome responses guys!!! I've highlighted my favourite bits. kkk's got the hairs on the back of my neck standing to attention, that's for sure. I'm very jealous of the experiences you all hold, but thank you for sharing them.

:thanks:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:46 am 
Rod Ashman

Yes I was one of the lucky ones, 14 years old, with my Carlton jumper with # 30 on the back, with my family in standing room in the Northern stand. We got there at 8:00am. My main memories are forlornly barracking for the Blues before half time and having a middle aged Collingwood supporter tell me to look at the scoreboard. He was reminded of the scoreboard by the little band of Blues fans as he scrambled to get away after the game. I remember Jezza's mark but at the time it gave me little comfort given the scoreline. At halftime I remember sitting down and thinking that at least I'd seen us win in 1968. The comeback was awesome, but people forget we were still 4 goals down in the last quarter after Thompson goaled. I remember distinctly a pack mark big John took. At the time it seemed there was a pack of ten flying for it. They all ended up on the ground and there was John with the ball tucked under his arm. (I think the pack might have only had three in it). Of course John steered the flat punt through. he kicked two in the last.

I remember Kevin Hall spoiling McKenna, Serge hesitating and then bombing it and then Jezza grabbing the bobbling ball amongst 5 defenders and the ball bouncing through. That put us 11 points up and the last couple of minutes were really tense especially when Dunne got a free - he kicked a point.

In the BRownlow coverage, Rob Walls says the Woods were our greatest rival in those days - I don't think he meant that. In my lifetime they have never beaten us when it really mattered. Even when they have beaten us in finals they haven't gone far. The Tiges were our nemesis then and we didn't finally put that to rest until 1982, after 15 years. That's why I rate 1972 as an equal of 1970.

People of my generation have been very blessed as Carlton supporters and out next flag won't be for us - tho we will enjoy it, it will be for kids who hardly remember us ever winning a flag, who turned up to Auskick in CArlton jumpers when the club was a laughing stock. The next one will be for the true blue believers and lets hope it is not too far ahead.

I was lucky enough to be at the 1966 GF too, so I think that makes 11 grand finals I have seen the Pies in for one win. Let's hope things don't change this Saturday.

PS Thanks for posting the clip CB - great to see Mr Elegance up on stage talking about the game too.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:54 am 
Harry Vallence

9 years old.
So stressed at half time I pulled my front tooth out.
Bled everywhere but i wouldn't go home.
That day my folks knew I was a tragic.
They didn't even follow the footy that much but took me because i was fanatical.
Kevin Hall's number 3 on my back.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:09 pm 
Ken Hunter

choo wrote:
9 years old.
So stressed at half time I pulled my front tooth out.

:lol:
Won't be too many Pies fans able to do that this weekend

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:28 pm 
Harry Vallence

gerry atric wrote:
Yes I was one of the lucky ones, 14 years old, with my Carlton jumper with # 30 on the back, with my family in standing room in the Northern stand. We got there at 8:00am. My main memories are forlornly barracking for the Blues before half time and having a middle aged Collingwood supporter tell me to look at the scoreboard. He was reminded of the scoreboard by the little band of Blues fans as he scrambled to get away after the game. I remember Jezza's mark but at the time it gave me little comfort given the scoreline. At halftime I remember sitting down and thinking that at least I'd seen us win in 1968. The comeback was awesome, but people forget we were still 4 goals down in the last quarter after Thompson goaled. I remember distinctly a pack mark big John took. At the time it seemed there was a pack of ten flying for it. They all ended up on the ground and there was John with the ball tucked under his arm. (I think the pack might have only had three in it). Of course John steered the flat punt through. he kicked two in the last.

I remember Kevin Hall spoiling McKenna, Serge hesitating and then bombing it and then Jezza grabbing the bobbling ball amongst 5 defenders and the ball bouncing through. That put us 11 points up and the last couple of minutes were really tense especially when Dunne got a free - he kicked a point.

In the BRownlow coverage, Rob Walls says the Woods were our greatest rival in those days - I don't think he meant that. In my lifetime they have never beaten us when it really mattered. Even when they have beaten us in finals they haven't gone far. The Tiges were our nemesis then and we didn't finally put that to rest until 1982, after 15 years. That's why I rate 1972 as an equal of 1970.

People of my generation have been very blessed as Carlton supporters and out next flag won't be for us - tho we will enjoy it, it will be for kids who hardly remember us ever winning a flag, who turned up to Auskick in CArlton jumpers when the club was a laughing stock. The next one will be for the true blue believers and lets hope it is not too far ahead.

I was lucky enough to be at the 1966 GF too, so I think that makes 11 grand finals I have seen the Pies in for one win. Let's hope things don't change this Saturday.

PS Thanks for posting the clip CB - great to see Mr Elegance up on stage talking about the game too.

Thanks for posting that Gerry . I was thinking when i responded to this thread that 1972 was always the one that mattered most.

The tigers throughout the 60's and 70's were the ones that i wanted to beat the most and as you said the 1972 win erased the demons of 1969.
Perhaps that is why 1982 was also so satisfying to finally put to bed the nightmares of the filthy play in 1973!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:37 pm 
Bruce Doull

My dad (a Collingwood supporter) was at the game, and the only thing he can bear to talk about from the day is that Jezza's mark occured about 30 mtrs from where he was sitting, so he got a firsthand view of it.

He said even the Collingwood supporters applauded.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:27 pm 
Bruce Doull

Donstuie wrote:
My dad (a Collingwood supporter)...

The force must be strong in you. :thumbsup:

Personally, I also think 1972 mattered the most. :razz:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:36 pm 
Bruce Doull

camelboy wrote:
Donstuie wrote:
My dad (a Collingwood supporter)...

The force must be strong in you. :thumbsup:

My big brother's also a Richmond supporter. I can't remember the exact reason why I barracked for Carlton, but I think it had more to do with my brother than anything. Collingwood were irrelevant in my early years, but Richmond were our enemy, and given anyone with a big brother hates them at one stage, I hated anything he liked. Thus, Carlton were my team.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:59 pm 
Horrie Clover

[quote="gerry atric"]People of my generation have been very blessed as Carlton supporters and out next flag won't be for us - tho we will enjoy it, it will be for kids who hardly remember us ever winning a flag, who turned up to Auskick in CArlton jumpers when the club was a laughing stock. The next one will be for the true blue believers and lets hope it is not too far ahead.

Thanks Gerry - this is absolutely so true...and i am almost tearing up ... :oops: I too am of the generation that has been blessed and agree that the next flag is for these kids... who haven't experienced our joy that comes with winning flags and knocking the enemy off... but who continue to wear the navy blue in the tough years...

Many a Saturday afternoon walking around the paddocks of Broadmeadows listening to the Captain and the Major on the transistor radio and willing the boys across the line.... sigh!

the wheel is turning :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:04 pm 
Ken Hands

7 years old.

I remember towards the end of the home and away season we got belted by Collingwood and my friend Norman, a Collingwood supporter, took great delight at their victory, at my expense, at school the following Monday. From memory we only kicked 2 goals for the whole game and Norman sure let me know about it.

My Dad got tickets for that whole final series for himself, me and my 8 year old brother.
I remember the seats were at the Punt Road end, roughly behind the point post on the Northern Stand side, on the terrace. It's strange but I remember where we sat quite vividly but I don't remember too much of the games.

I remember that in the first and second semi finals, the ball came towards us in the crowd, and it ended up in my Dad's hands my both times. Once he gave it my brother to throw back out and the next time he gave it to me. This was a great highlight for a seven year old kid!

As for the GF. My brother and I wore our Carlton jumpers proudly. His had number 25 on the back and mine had number 5, who was of course Syd Jackson, my favourite player.

I don't remember too much of the game, but what I do remember very, very clearly is the following....

At half time the Collingwood cheer squad, who were seated behind the goals a bay over from us, were popping champagne bottles and singing the Collingwood theme song. I asked my Dad why they were so happy and he told me that they think they've won. I asked him if they had and he said that it didn't look too good. I remember fearing that I was in for another round of Carlton bashing from Norman at school the following Monday.

As for the second half, I just remember being very excited as we kicked goal after goal, and all the Carlton supporters near us cheering as one, as we got closer and closer.

Then I remember how happy we were at the end of the game. I could see by the joy on my father's face that we had just witnessed something very special, even though at the time I didn't comprehend the magnitude of the comeback.

At school my friend Norman graciously gave me five cents (we'd made a bet), as well as a poster of the Carlton team from the newspaper. I didn't give him a hard time (not sure why) but I'm glad I didn't, I think just being a Collingwood supporter is punishment enough.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:46 pm 
Rod Ashman

Teddy wrote:
I remember towards the end of the home and away season we got belted by Collingwood and my friend Norman, a Collingwood supporter, took great delight at their victory, at my expense, at school the following Monday. From memory we only kicked 2 goals for the whole game and Norman sure let me know about it.

Yeah I remember being at that game at Vic Park. I think you're right Teddy, we kicked 2 goals and amongst the many goals the Pies kicked was Peter McKenna's 100th, truly an awful experience. Possibly an omen tho. I remember being at PP on Anzac Day 1968 when we managed one goal ag the Dons. Same disaster ag our gf opponent, both times turned the tables when it mattered.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:51 pm 
Harry Vallence

There is nothing more pure than the unadulterated joy of moments like these experienced through the eyes of the young.

I was 12 years old and camped out overnight at Princes Park with my 9 year old brother, arriving with our fold out chairs at 4pm the afternoon before tickets went on sale. It was an adventure filled with panic, because as we got within 50 metres of the ticket window, there were murmurings that tickets were almost sold out. I still recall the sheer relief we felt when the prized tickets were in our hands.

The build up in preceding weeks was wonderful. The second semifinal against Collingwood was a sensational game in blazing September sunshine. A close fought shoot-out that we lost but didnt feel too bad about with Peter McKenna kicking 9.1 and Jezza kicking 8.5. The prelim against the Saints was also magical, with Syd Jackson best on ground.

We were almost too nervous to enjoy the start of the GF, such was the build up. The first half was surreal, a nightmare. This couldnt be happening. Even when we came back in the 3rd, the hope still alive, we were still a fair way down. The last quarter was a heady blur filled with almost unbearable tension. After we hit the lead, impossibly, late in the final quarter, courtesy of the Crosswell goal, the next few minutes were a blinding panic. I remember vividly the ball being kicked into the Collingwood forward line where McKenna was pushed in the back as he attempted to mark. No free! Collingwood fans went absolutely ape shit. The ball rebounded to forward of centre where the incomparable Jesaulenko swooped on the ball in heavy traffic, snapped it onto his left boot, and as it bounced and bounced and bounced the whole world stood still. No one but the great man could have kicked that goal. There were no Carlton players within 30 metres of goal, and no one else but an absolute freak could possibly have structured a goal like that in those circumstances. The sealer. In several decades of watching football I have never heard noise like it. Some nervous minutes until the end of the game but we were HOME.

Maybe it wasnt really as good as I remember. Romance has a way of being magnified through the eyes of the young and with the passage of time. But Jesus Christ it was a life changing moment.

Im with you Gerry, we have been spoiled. I only hope that my youngest son, now 17, a Carlton fanatic despite years of drought, gets to experience something like it. Go Blues. Thanks for the memories.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:04 pm 
Bruce Doull

Teddy wrote:
7 years old.

My Dad got tickets for that whole final series for himself, me and my 8 year old brother.
I remember the seats were at the Punt Road end, roughly behind the point post on the Northern Stand side, on the terrace. It's strange but I remember where we sat quite vividly but I don't remember too much of the games.

I remember that in the first and second semi finals, the ball came towards us in the crowd, and it ended up in my Dad's hands my both times. Once he gave it my brother to throw back out and the next time he gave it to me. This was a great highlight for a seven year old kid!

As for the GF. My brother and I wore our Carlton jumpers proudly. His had number 25 on the back and mine had number 5, who was of course Syd Jackson, my favourite player.

I don't remember too much of the game, but what I do remember very, very clearly is the following....

At half time the Collingwood cheer squad, who were seated behind the goals a bay over from us, were popping champagne bottles and singing the Collingwood theme song. I asked my Dad why they were so happy and he told me that they think they've won. I asked him if they had and he said that it didn't look too good. I remember fearing that I was in for another round of Carlton bashing from Norman at school the following Monday.

As for the second half, I just remember being very excited as we kicked goal after goal, and all the Carlton supporters near us cheering as one, as we got closer and closer.

Then I remember how happy we were at the end of the game. I could see by the joy on my father's face that we had just witnessed something very special, even though at the time I didn't comprehend the magnitude of the comeback.

At school my friend Norman graciously gave me five cents (we'd made a bet), as well as a poster of the Carlton team from the newspaper. I didn't give him a hard time (not sure why) but I'm glad I didn't, I think just being a Collingwood supporter is punishment enough.

Haha, brilliant account Teddy, thank you. I love the last line. :clap:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:08 pm 
Bruce Doull

Thanks to you too Rick, another sensational report. :thanks: