Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:25 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 721 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 37  Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:53 pm 
Ken Hunter

Our supporters don't like the ground, membership will never reach the heights we would expect, require and demand and finally we make hardly any money playing home games there - especially compared to what we would make elsewhere.
The fact Carlton supporters on TC still support the Etihad stadium deal is mind boggling.
Carlton will never be a powerhouse @ Etihad, ever. We will always play 2nd fiddle to clubs interstate such as WC and the likes of Collingwood. If your happy with that, fine but others such as me don't have to be!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:34 pm 
Harry Vallence

Um the only point I had a problem with was the assertion that no team with Etihad as a home ground would ever win a flag. I'd love to have most of our games at the 'G and play interstate teams only at Etihad and I think that should be our goal when this current deal is up. As for going back to PP, can't see how it'll happen.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:47 am 
Stephen Silvagni

SurreyBlue wrote:
Our supporters don't like the ground, membership will never reach the heights we would expect, require and demand and finally we make hardly any money playing home games there - especially compared to what we would make elsewhere.
The fact Carlton supporters on TC still support the Etihad stadium deal is mind boggling.
Carlton will never be a powerhouse @ Etihad, ever. We will always play 2nd fiddle to clubs interstate such as WC and the likes of Collingwood. If your happy with that, fine but others such as me don't have to be!

SB, can you tell us who on TC supports the Etihad deal?

"there’s more chance of me becoming the full forward for the [Western Bulldogs] than there is of any change in the Labor Party." Julia Gillard 18-05-2010

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:08 pm 
Ken Hunter

TruBlueBrad wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:

SB, can you tell us who on TC supports the Etihad deal?

TBB, go back and read posts through various threads going back in time. You'll see who they are and what their arguments where and are.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:49 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Nah, actually I asked you to answer the question.

I dont think there's ever been a person who supported Etihad over the MCG. Playing at Princes Park wasnt an option after 2004 and most of us accepted the reality we had to play home games at Etihad, while we'd prefer the G.

"there’s more chance of me becoming the full forward for the [Western Bulldogs] than there is of any change in the Labor Party." Julia Gillard 18-05-2010

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:59 pm 
Ken Hunter

Well if your not willing to do the hard work...don't bother being...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:04 pm 
Ken Hunter

TruBlueBrad wrote:
I dont think there's ever been a person who supported Etihad over the MCG. Playing at Princes Park wasnt an option after 2004 and most of us accepted the reality we had to play home games at Etihad, while we'd prefer the G.

By the way. WRONG.
I'll keep living in my virtual world.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:04 pm 
Rod Ashman

AK43 wrote:
Mosquito Fleet wrote:
I can safely say now that any team that has a home ground at Docklands will not win a Premiership.

This was the bit I think is rubbish. You go on to contradict yourself anyway....

Mosquito Fleet wrote:
There are no absolute certainties in life and there are exceptions.....

The exception with Essendon* in 2000 was because they were the mature team from the Premiership Baby Bombers of 1993 and were on a mission to correct the 1999 Preliminary loss....

So a team can win a flag even with Docklands as their home ground. As others have already pointed out the Saints were twice a bee's dick away from a flag, and surely you're not saying they lost because they play out of Docklands. A team based at Docklands will at some point in the future win a flag.

Mosquito Fleet wrote:
If you consider that Carlton's playing performance and financial performance is better at Etihad than Princes Park, then please advise me....

Don't change the topic - that wasn't what anyone was arguing about - only your bollocks in the first quote above.

I am delighted that you have taken the time to go through the postings.

If that is your best argument, I can rest my case.

By the way, on SEN today, KB discussed the fact that Geelong stated that having a home boutique ground has attributed to their Premiership success and maintaining a high position of the ladder.

Our future is home games with interstate Clubs at Princes Park and other home games at the MCG.. :smoking:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:13 pm 
Ken Hunter

Mosquito Fleet wrote:

Our future is home games with interstate Clubs at Princes Park and other home games at the MCG.. :smoking:

You can say it until you are blue in the face (and I don't disagree) but there is zero chance if it happening... the AFL schedules the fixture and it simply wont allow it.

A garden to nurture and protect

#DopeThenStash

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:17 pm 
Ken Hunter

Can I get a spot at the window in the gym building we built more or less on the boundary at Visy...talk about front row seats!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:28 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

There was never a chance of the AFL allowing us to play games at Princes Park.

We were too deep in debt and the only way for us to get out of our catering contracts at Princes Park was from AFL money - which they would not give to us unless we took the Etihad/MCG home game mix.

For those that dont like home games at Etihad - make sure you say so at the upcoming AGM in December so when it comes time to renegotiate our home ground deals in 2013 we get us a good deal at MCG.

For those that dream of AFL games at Princes Park it is not going to happen.

If you are really keen on seeing football played at Princes Park/VISY Park -put your money where your daydreams are and buy a "Northern Blues" 2012 Membership ticket and watch our boys playing in a Navy Blue guernsey in the VFL.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:05 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

bluechucky wrote:
Mosquito Fleet wrote:

You can say it until you are blue in the face (and I don't disagree) but there is zero chance if it happening... the AFL schedules the fixture and it simply wont allow it.

True....the best outcome for us would be home games at the 'G' and games against the interstaters at Etihad with the best possible terms for us that we can get....

"Truth, for the tyrants, is the most terrible and cruel of all bindings; it is like an incandescent iron falling across their chests. And it is even more agonizing than hot iron, for that only burns the flesh, while truth burns its way into the soul"     — Lauro Aguirre

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:10 pm 
Rod Ashman

Juddy&theKruezers wrote:
bluechucky wrote:
Mosquito Fleet wrote:

True....the best outcome for us would be home games at the 'G' and games against the interstaters at Etihad with the best possible terms for us that we can get....

The G for me - Etihad for interstate games only

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:13 am 
Rod Ashman

Well I'll put my hand up. I like Etihad, and I like the MCG. The G is great for huge crowds and day matches, not so good hosting 30k for Blues v Port, or night games in July. Actually I'd be happy to play all our games at the G if they were on Sat arvo, but they are not. Can't understand the blind hatred of the Dome. Viewing is good, transport is great, and in miserable or freezing weather it is inside. I don't mind the current mix but wouldn't mind if it was skewed in favour of MCG a bit more. But certainly the intense hatred for Etihad by some seems a bit irrational. Main thing is last time we had no bargaining power, this time we do. get the best deal that maximises crowds and revenue and balance the best stadium - when it is better to be indoors - Fridays in July ag Port etc, and when it is better to be at the G.

Talking about 'liking' the current deal is pointless. We weren't in a position to deal. We were crippled and on the ropes, we had to take what we could to stay afloat. People need to stop trying to rewrite history and stop imagining we were anything other than a basket case (courtesy of J Elliott's woeful mismanagement) at the time of the last deal. We are strong now and in a better position.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:30 am 
Ken Hunter

gerry atric wrote:
Well I'll put my hand up. I like Etihad, and I like the MCG. The G is great for huge crowds and day matches, not so good hosting 30k for Blues v Port, or night games in July. Actually I'd be happy to play all our games at the G if they were on Sat arvo, but they are not. Can't understand the blind hatred of the Dome. Viewing is good, transport is great, and in miserable or freezing weather it is inside. I don't mind the current mix but wouldn't mind if it was skewed in favour of MCG a bit more. But certainly the intense hatred for Etihad by some seems a bit irrational. Main thing is last time we had no bargaining power, this time we do. get the best deal that maximises crowds and revenue and balance the best stadium - when it is better to be indoors - Fridays in July ag Port etc, and when it is better to be at the G.

Talking about 'liking' the current deal is pointless. We weren't in a position to deal. We were crippled and on the ropes, we had to take what we could to stay afloat. People need to stop trying to rewrite history and stop imagining we were anything other than a basket case (courtesy of J Elliott's woeful mismanagement) at the time of the last deal. We are strong now and in a better position.

+1 to all of it, including the comments about Etihad. I like it too.

A garden to nurture and protect

#DopeThenStash

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:58 am 
Bruce Doull

SurreyBlue wrote:
TruBlueBrad wrote:

By the way. WRONG.
I'll keep living in my virtual world.

What Brad said. :beer:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:02 am 
Bruce Doull

gerry atric wrote:

What gerry said too. :beer:

With the re-writing of history happening we'll soon have people saying that Elliott never put a foot wrong. :razz:

Truth be told, to a first time visitor who has no idea about the history of the G, I'm sure they think it just as soulless as Etihad Stadium too.

As someone who gets to one or two games a year, I find Etihad quite a good ground to watch.

But, precisely because of its history, I prefer the G.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:26 am 
Rod Ashman

gerry atric wrote:

Well said Gerry, I concur with your thoughts.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:43 pm 
Harry Vallence

gerry atric wrote:

Great post. I agree with the dome.

Etihad = Fantastic stadium
Current Deal = Sh1thouse!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:51 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Viewing at Etihad is ordinary. Always a horrible haze when sitting up the top and has the atmosphere of a funeral.

But when it's pissing down outside, I walk out of the house without my garbage bag/poncho and think 'thank jebus it's at the dome and not in front of the pratt stand at princes park'.

I'm getting old.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 721 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 37  Next