Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:06 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 721 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 37  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:48 am 
Craig Bradley

Mosquito Fleet is Wilson in this analogy yeah?

HAVE YOU SIGNED UP FOR TALKINGCARLTON SUPERCOACH 2009 YET?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:22 am 
Rod Ashman

I have serious concerns about the future of the game (let alone our own club) when football clubs lose control of their home ground....

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/i ... zt3a3.html

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:11 am 
Bruce Doull

One thing is for sure.
This game cant afford itself.....

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:12 am 
Stephen Kernahan

This is great reading....
Not.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:13 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Blue Sombrero wrote:
This is great reading....
Not.

Not great reading indeed. What Carlton supporters have to realise is that we have essentially missed the boat with regard to getting a 'Collingwood-like' deal at the MCG. Our best bet now has to be the one that makes economic sense. While I prefer the MCG - I'm not privy to the numbers that LoGuidice and Kernahan have seen being offered by Paul Sargeant at Etihad and Stephen Gough at the MCG.

After having visited some stadiums here in the US - I have changed somewhat in my thinking. I'm no longer convinced that Carlton supporters know why they want the MCG other than some thought that it might improve our playing style. I think it has to come down to dollars. If the better deal is at Etihad - take it. And take a 6-5 split on the proviso that I no longer have to sit through the pre-game drivel of a kids TV host who was wearing a Richmond tracksuit the night before. I want to be entertained. That's the industry the AFL clubs have to start believing they're in.

The man trying to get the Carlton 'brains trust' to go with Etihad believes in the entertainment business. He might wear a Cosby sweater to work - but he might be worth listening to...especially if the deal is a good one for a club who will struggle in acquiring sponsorship over the next few years.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:50 am 
Stephen Silvagni

doc that's hardly the reason why we want to move to the g' (form based)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:06 am 
Stephen Kernahan

kingkerna wrote:

Quite probably....but you have to ask yourself why if there is a better deal on the table and progressive venue operations management.

If someone told me pre-match Carlton was the most entertaining club in the league and it was financially a great deal - I'm jumping at it....all that needs to be worked out is how to manage the PR behind that announcement!

I get bored while I'm waiting for the footy to start. It's a cringe-fest. I'd rather get there 5 minutes into the first quarter than sit through the drivel I've seen. I said as much in the survey that was sent to me by the club the other day.

Whatever is best for the club.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:53 am 
Bruce Doull

I'm a bit old skool in that I find "entertainment" at the footy that's not the footy itself is a bit daft, but I'm interested to know Doc what you call good pre-match entertainment?

Post subject: Carlton's home: the 'G
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:51 am 
Craig Bradley

Synbad wrote:
One thing is for sure.

To be fair there are plenty of clubs across all codes struggling, it's not just AFL

We are Carlton, @#$%&! the rest !!!!!!

Post subject: Carlton's home: the 'G
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:56 am 
Craig Bradley

Only decent pregame entertainment I've ever seen was when reserves were running around prior to the main game.

Anything else is mindless drivel

We are Carlton, @#$%&! the rest !!!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:11 pm 
Harry Vallence

Can't take anyone seriously who wears a jumper like that.

So I say... Off to the 'G.

NOW YOU'RE JUST SOME CLUB THAT I USED TO KNOW.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:05 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

camelboy wrote:
I'm a bit old skool in that I find "entertainment" at the footy that's not the footy itself is a bit daft, but I'm interested to know Doc what you call good pre-match entertainment?

How 'bout in 2015 a bag of popcorn on entry and watching highlights from a 1995 game on the big screen. It might even be against the opponent we are playing that day. We could set up a sports desk on field and have a player and/or coach from that day do a 'director's cut' commentary.

And for Sunday games - how about some 'Meet & Greets' at the Saturday morning training. The Blueseum and Spirit of Carlton Past Players group are so unique that the club should be doing more to integrate the current supporter base with successful club culture of the past. Or try it gameday at a pub nearby. The Docklands precinct is screaming for greater patronage.

Would it be so terrible to have a Carlton tram going through the city?

I've longed for Jezza's mark to be immortalized in bronze and placed at Princes Park. But while I wait - what's to stop the club making a lightweight replica - wheeling it out onto the ground before the players entrance and have the boys all touch it as they go past. We could even ring the old bell before the players run out...perhaps even play "Hell's Bells' for a bit of added drama.

When the roof is closed - the atmosphere is often better. You can use lights...even fog machines...the possibilities are endless.

Can we show our community work pre-game? Half-time? The 'Multicultural School Program' and ‘Nick Duigan High Rise Program’ are fantastic initiatives. Let's show fans of all teams, including our own, what fantastic work the club is doing. Let's have a match dedicated to raising awareness and funds for one or both programs.

I'm probably going to be accused of wanting to Americanize the pre-game entertainment - but at least the 'Mericans have a little fun. Too much of the game day experience is stale...so @#$%&! vanilla. I appreciate that many folks just want to turn up to the footy and watch the footy. But are you getting value for money? I don't think you are. Are you having fun? I don't believe so. Was your day, win or lose 'Carlton' enough? No...we've lost our soul.....let's start by getting some fun back into proceedings and not rolling out the same boring shtick every single week.

These are the types of discussions the Supporter Alliance wants to have with the club.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:29 pm 
Robert Walls

DocSherrin wrote:
kingkerna wrote:

Quite probably....but you have to ask yourself why if there is a better deal on the table and progressive venue operations management.

thats the issue - better deal for who? which part of the carlton family gets the better deal?

At the moment we have a 57 million dollar turnover

~ 9 million comes from gaming (and will increase going forward)
~ 10 million comes from memberships
~ 12 million comes from the corporates/sponsorhips etc
~ 10 million from the AFL
~ 3 million from merchandise
+ gate receipts and other scraps from here and there.

How do yo think these main revenue streams would change if we get a slightly better deal from etihad? what would the extra cash flow provide in the short term - a couple of million perhaps?

Its far more important that our members are kept happy, by thinking they can get to most games without being locked out or having to wait for hours to get inside.

the club can attract more members to sign up if we have most of our homes games at the MCG.

The corporate sponsors will still be on board - and perhaps happier if the crowds are up.

Having said that - we have been playing our block buster games at the MCG anyway (Pies, Bombers and tigers) and always will.

But if we are up and running, games against the hawks, cats, kangaroos and even the saints (if they were playing well) should see big crowds at the G

Etihad is a great stadium to watch footy at - but the "G" is better, on all counts except when it rains

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:41 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Sounds as though you've got splinters Cretylus...hop off the fence.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:46 pm 
Craig Bradley

The only problem I have with Docklands is who the AFL fixtures to play us there

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:59 pm 
Geoff Southby

DocSherrin wrote:
camelboy wrote:

How 'bout in 2015 a bag of popcorn on entry and watching highlights from a 1995 game on the big screen. It might even be against the opponent we are playing that day. We could set up a sports desk on field and have a player and/or coach from that day do a 'director's cut' commentary.

And for Sunday games - how about some 'Meet & Greets' at the Saturday morning training. The Blueseum and Spirit of Carlton Past Players group are so unique that the club should be doing more to integrate the current supporter base with successful club culture of the past. Or try it gameday at a pub nearby. The Docklands precinct is screaming for greater patronage.

Would it be so terrible to have a Carlton tram going through the city?

I've longed for Jezza's mark to be immortalized in bronze and placed at Princes Park. But while I wait - what's to stop the club making a lightweight replica - wheeling it out onto the ground before the players entrance and have the boys all touch it as they go past. We could even ring the old bell before the players run out...perhaps even play "Hell's Bells' for a bit of added drama.

When the roof is closed - the atmosphere is often better. You can use lights...even fog machines...the possibilities are endless.

Can we show our community work pre-game? Half-time? The 'Multicultural School Program' and ‘Nick Duigan High Rise Program’ are fantastic initiatives. Let's show fans of all teams, including our own, what fantastic work the club is doing. Let's have a match dedicated to raising awareness and funds for one or both programs.

I'm probably going to be accused of wanting to Americanize the pre-game entertainment - but at least the 'Mericans have a little fun. Too much of the game day experience is stale...so @#$%&! vanilla. I appreciate that many folks just want to turn up to the footy and watch the footy. But are you getting value for money? I don't think you are. Are you having fun? I don't believe so. Was your day, win or lose 'Carlton' enough? No...we've lost our soul.....let's start by getting some fun back into proceedings and not rolling out the same boring shtick every single week.

These are the types of discussions the Supporter Alliance wants to have with the club.

The pre-game stuff is pretty low on my priorities, but some good ideas there Doc.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:12 pm 
Geoff Southby

teagueyubeauty wrote:
Only decent pregame entertainment I've ever seen was when reserves were running around prior to the main game.

Yep ! they were beautiful days.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:16 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Mickstar wrote:
teagueyubeauty wrote:

Yeah but they're marketing to get nonfootball people involved as well.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:23 pm 
Geoff Southby

Rexy wrote:
Mickstar wrote:
teagueyubeauty wrote:

Yeah but they're marketing to get nonfootball people involved as well.

Anyhow,back on subject,i actually enjoy Etihad..........................i reckon they have actually effed up the MCG.The day they dismantled the Southern they dismantled the MCG's soul................the MCG is now a ugly monstrocity as far as im concerned.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:14 pm 
Bruce Doull

teagueyubeauty wrote:
Synbad wrote:
One thing is for sure.

To be fair there are plenty of clubs across all codes struggling, it's not just AFL

yeah but this game cant grow anymore..this is it!!!! its pot bound....

Soccer can grow.

watch what happens with Melbourne City over the next five years and then watch how this also pulls up Victory

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 721 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 37  Next