Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 9:45 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 7:46 am 
Harry Vallence

Pretty good analysis, and I think very accurate, on why we went down to the Hawks.

Jake puts it down to four factors: rotations, game style, personnel and attitude.

Just our luck that the Hawks get it together the week we play them.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/hawks-find-the-time-to-make-changes-20100523-w3yc.html

NOW YOU'RE JUST SOME CLUB THAT I USED TO KNOW.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 8:24 am 
Stephen Kernahan

He failed to mention the insipid, mentally fragile opposition

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 8:29 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Fair article.
I am not complaining, we are 5-4 when some experts had us 1-8. Considering the run we have had with injuries it is a remarkable effort. In saying that it will all be wasted if we don't beat WCE, Melbourne and the Kangas in the next 3 weeks.
A lot of players looked tired yesterday and if you look at who we have played in the past month it could only have taken its toll both physically and mentally.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 8:34 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Navy Blue Horse wrote:

I walked out of the game yesterday and turned around to my Hawthorn mate and said if we beat you guys today and lost to Geelong or StKilda previously we would be in the same position.
You need to get a bit of perspective.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 9:02 am 
Stephen Kernahan

woof wrote:
Navy Blue Horse wrote:

I walked out of the game yesterday and turned around to my Hawthorn mate and said if we beat you guys today and lost to Geelong or StKilda previously we would be in the same position.

I hope you felt better after saying that.

The attitude of saying we’re better placed than many predicted shits me. We beat the Cats and the Saints, we shouldn’t lose to the Hawks by 50 points, simple. How can a player not switch on for a game like that?

Has our run with injuries really been that bad? I can’t think of an injury to any of our top 10 players. And don’t give me Walker.

Let’s not accept second best, it’s pathetic, St Kilda-like.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 9:14 am 
Craig Bradley

After the belting the Dawks recivced in the press last week I suspected we might lose, particularly after the planted Lyon article on Saturday. I figured that we would be flat after being 'up' fopr the past few weeks. Five minutes in I knew we were in serious trouble and we were.

To be honest not that phased by the loss.

L.M 35-06

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 9:20 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Navy Blue Horse wrote:
woof wrote:
Navy Blue Horse wrote:

The attitude of saying we’re better placed than many predicted shits me. We beat the Cats and the Saints, we shouldn’t lose to the Hawks by 50 points, simple. How can a player not switch on for a game like that?

Has our run with injuries really been that bad? I can’t think of an injury to any of our top 10 players. And don’t give me Walker.

I just had a look at your pre match post and you had Houla on Hodge and you would have loved Bower to play on Franklin. It was only late last week when you nominated these blokes to play on Hawthorn's top two players on Sunday.
I have not given you Walker but only what you suggested last week.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 9:27 am 
Rod Ashman

woof wrote:
Navy Blue Horse wrote:
woof wrote:

I just had a look at your pre match post and you had Houla on Hodge and you would have loved Bower to play on Franklin. It was only late last week when you nominated these blokes to play on Hawthorn's top two players on Sunday.

Some nice hunting there detective. :lol: :clap:

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:35 am 
Stephen Kernahan

woof wrote:

Yep, and I reckon those two would have made a difference....IF our midfield hadn't got SMASHED from the opening bounce.

:wink:

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:56 am 
Bruce Doull

Attitude. They had it, we didn't.

Until we improve in that area we will continue to put in the odd shocker. So, rather than jump up and down and say we lost and we shouldn't have. Let's understand where the team is at in its development. Let's understand there are clear signs of improvement already in 2010. Let's acknowledge the coaching staff and players are working together to overcome our weaknesses. And let's look forward to next week.

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 11:53 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Fair article.

In addition I would have expected something written on:

1. A fit Hadley/McLean type would have added a bit more grunt against Sewell, Lewis, Hodge and Mitchell.
2. 3rd game in 13 days after being on the road for a miraculous come from behind win last game.

We were flat, undermanned, decimated by injury, whilst they fielded their best team for the year and played like there was no tomorrow.

Last edited by bondiblue on Mon May 24, 2010 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 1:40 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

bondiblue wrote:
Fair article.

1. A fit Hadley/McLean type would have added a bit more grunt against Sewell, Lewis, Hodge and Mitchell.
2. 3rd game in 3 weeks after being on the road for a miraculous come from behind win last game.

We were flat, undermanned, decimated by injury, whilst they fielded their best team for the year and played like there was no tomorrow.

POTW for mine. Nice work Bondi :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 2:23 pm 
Robert Walls

We really missed Bower and McClean/Hadley.
Waite would have also been handy.

Lack of intensity was the main factor, but we also fluffed a lot of chances in the forward 50.
If you look at the pressure applied by hawthorns forwards vs ours that would have been a large factor too.

The rotations factor really hurt us when we were trying to mount a comeback.

Not the worst loss ever, but we really need to bounce back strongly and not drop one to the coasters. Injury management will be key for us in the next few weeks.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 2:26 pm 
Serge Silvagni

MIL wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Fair article.

2. 3rd game in 3 weeks after being on the road for a miraculous come from behind win last game.

POTW for mine. Nice work Bondi :thumbsup:

+1 for common sense and perspective

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 2:33 pm 
Wayne Johnston

we were on the slide after a big month. they were coming the other way and were on the up after a terrible month. throw in a few injuries early and we were stuffed.

to be a great side we have to overcome the oppostion at times like this. we are not there yet.
i am not going to cry about that.

hope we start to get a few of our better players in Bower, Walker, Houla and Waite back in the next month and dont drop any of our next three.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 2:44 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I actually put $20 on Hawthorn.

We were always gonna be tested with no Bower / Walker / Waite to go with Buddy and Roughead.

I think the media and supporters got a bit ahead of themselves. And with two injuries before half time we were always gonna loose.

BUT, i'll take the $60 i won and i'll whack it on Carlton for this week to win. We'll bounce back.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 4:24 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Navy Blue Horse wrote:
woof wrote:
Navy Blue Horse wrote:

And that's why we are still not a professional outfit as yet...we look to excuses when we lose games against teams everybody has been hammering....of course we just happen to get them when they are hitting top form until they get beaten again the week after they play us...we really need to be accountable for our efforts week in week out...we may lose of course but not in an embaressing manner as we did yesterday....it's the effort and commitment that needs to improve right across the board...

"Truth, for the tyrants, is the most terrible and cruel of all bindings; it is like an incandescent iron falling across their chests. And it is even more agonizing than hot iron, for that only burns the flesh, while truth burns its way into the soul"     — Lauro Aguirre

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 4:36 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Juddy&theKruezers wrote:
And that's why we are still not a professional outfit as yet...we look to excuses when we lose games against teams everybody has been hammering....of course we just happen to get them when they are hitting top form until they get beaten again the week after they play us...we really need to be accountable for our efforts week in week out...we may lose of course but not in an embaressing manner as we did yesterday....it's the effort and commitment that needs to improve right across the board...

Are you confusing the word professional with consistent?

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 4:44 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

woof wrote:
Juddy&theKruezers wrote:

Are you confusing the word professional with consistent?

Actually one infers the other...a constantly inconsistent team would not be considered to be professional as yet IMO and this is where we are still at the moment....

"Truth, for the tyrants, is the most terrible and cruel of all bindings; it is like an incandescent iron falling across their chests. And it is even more agonizing than hot iron, for that only burns the flesh, while truth burns its way into the soul"     — Lauro Aguirre

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 5:07 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

ryan2000 wrote:
I actually put $20 on Hawthorn.

Should have doubled it into Adelaide like I did and made it $140 :wink: