Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:12 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:38 pm 
Robert Walls

Sorry if this is posted elsewhere. But Laidley is in contact with Carlton about a role for 2009. Not sure exactly what, but it seems like he is at least considering whatever we've offered if he is watching our training. I seem to remember we tried to land him when his contract situation was unclear at North a couple of years back too. I think at the time it was felt Ratts could do with a Director of Coaching to oversee things... so maybe that's what we've got on the table now?

Anyway, here's the link to where it is discussed: http://www.theage.com.au/news/rfnews/laidley-in-talks-with-clubs/2009/08/28/1251394593896.html

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:41 pm 
Wayne Johnston

seeya StIcke??

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:04 pm 
Ken Hands

I'll watch this development with interest. I think Laidley would be a good addition given the right role.

Is something going on with Icke that I'm unaware of? That's now a few times of seen remarks about him going.. Surely he's not really going to GC?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:34 pm 
Geoff Southby

Just don't let him speak at any press conferences...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:49 pm 
Garry Crane

budzy wrote:
seeya StIcke??

Why can't we have them both?

Please make this happen!!! :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:51 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

As I've posted before - some of you guys seem to be confused with Stephen Icke's role at the club. Laidley isn't qualified to do it...and vise-versa. Laidley is a game day coach...we have one of those...if the club deemed it necessary to have a Director of Coaching - I'm not convinced Dean Laidley is the right man for the job. I personally think he'll end up at Hawthorn in a 'jack of all trades' role that would enable Clarkson to have to deal far less with the media.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:58 pm 
Ken Hunter

I'd be ecstatic if we land him in some sort of coaching role.

A garden to nurture and protect

#DopeThenStash

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:04 pm 
Bruce Doull

Dr.SHERRIN wrote:
As I've posted before - some of you guys seem to be confused with Stephen Icke's role at the club. Laidley isn't qualified to do it...and vise-versa. Laidley is a game day coach...we have one of those...if the club deemed it necessary to have a Director of Coaching - I'm not convinced Dean Laidley is the right man for the job. I personally think he'll end up at Hawthorn in a 'jack of all trades' role that would enable Clarkson to have to deal far less with the media.

Mad dog is a gem with the media. :razz:

Isn't one of Laidley's strengths meant to be his matchday skillz? And isn't one of the criticisms against Ratten that his matchday skillz aren't up to scratch?

I dunno if Laidley is all that, to be honest, but if he can bring a more proactive role to the coaches' box on matchday, then that's probably a good thing.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:20 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

You'd keep him away from the trade table.

I recall a newsbreaker on here saying someone else at Norf was doing all the opposition analysis and Laidley was taking the credit.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:21 pm 
Rod Ashman

camelboy wrote:
Dr.SHERRIN wrote:

Mad dog is a gem with the media. :razz:

Isn't one of Laidley's strengths meant to be his matchday skillz? And isn't one of the criticisms against Ratten that his matchday skillz aren't up to scratch?

I dunno if Laidley is all that, to be honest, but if he can bring a more proactive role to the coaches' box on matchday, then that's probably a good thing.

Except that if he can do that, then it's self-evident that we have the wrong coach to begin with.

I'm not saying we do, but if Ratts needs Laidley to hold his hand and explain the matchups and the rotations then we have the wrong guy and we should just admit that, hire Laidley as the senior coach, and move on.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:23 pm 
Trevor Keogh

Laidley stated in a radio interview i caught just before he left for holidays that he was only considering 2 roles:

- senior coach. this would not be restricted to the AFL obviously since only the richmond opening was a consideration to him.

- director of coaching. he especially showed interest in taking up that sort of role within the GWS franchise.

he also made it clear he wouldn't be fielding any offers from a club whose footy dept he deemed to be under-resourced. didn't want to repeat his arden st experiences!

given that we have a coach, our offer would have to be something along the "director of coaching" lines, rather than as some type of hand-on assitant coaching role ... unless of couse he's had a re-think while on holidays.

would be an interesting appointment from ratts' perspective if laidley still has the fire in the belly to be a senior coach ...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:03 pm 
Bruce Doull

Lowey_47 wrote:
Just don't let him speak at any press conferences...

Or be involved in any trades.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:28 pm 
Rod Ashman

maxyblue wrote:
Laidley stated in a radio interview i caught just before he left for holidays that he was only considering 2 roles:

- senior coach. this would not be restricted to the AFL obviously since only the richmond opening was a consideration to him.

- director of coaching. he especially showed interest in taking up that sort of role within the GWS franchise.

he also made it clear he wouldn't be fielding any offers from a club whose footy dept he deemed to be under-resourced. didn't want to repeat his arden st experiences!

given that we have a coach, our offer would have to be something along the "director of coaching" lines, rather than as some type of hand-on assitant coaching role ... unless of couse he's had a re-think while on holidays.

would be an interesting appointment from ratts' perspective if laidley still has the fire in the belly to be a senior coach ...

Why can't he be a senior coach at our club? I've long been an advocate of dual senior coaches.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:22 pm 
Wayne Johnston

How were Norths kickouts this year??

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:17 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

budzy wrote:
How were Norths kickouts this year??

hehe... came in here to say the exact same thing

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:00 pm 
Rod Ashman

Molly wrote:
Sorry if this is posted elsewhere. But Laidley is in contact with Carlton about a role for 2009.

Why would he want a job for one more week - two at best?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:05 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Colin Carpenter.
An asset to any club.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:25 pm 
Harry Vallence

Director of Coaching?

You gotta be kidding me. Laidley has coached North to no grand finals, a couple preliminarys in a few years of coaching and you want him to be a director of coaching?

Director of coaching is for experienced/senior coaches to be in a mentor type role eg. Lethal Leigh, Parkin, malthouse, that dont want the main gig. Not guys out there that have only coached a few years.

Just because collingwood have made up this model, it is untested and may not even work.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:19 am 
Bruce Doull

Goltzenberg wrote:
Director of Coaching?

You gotta be kidding me. Laidley has coached North to no grand finals, a couple preliminarys in a few years of coaching and you want him to be a director of coaching?

Director of coaching is for experienced/senior coaches to be in a mentor type role eg. Lethal Leigh, Parkin, malthouse, that dont want the main gig. Not guys out there that have only coached a few years.

Just because collingwood have made up this model, it is untested and may not even work.

Actually Carlton pioneered the concept 2000-2002

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:23 am 
Harry Vallence

Maybe he is going to conduct an independant review on what people here call the "boys club" which is our coaching team.