Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:10 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:23 pm 
Bruce Doull

Was just going through my files and stumbled across an old PDF from 2005 I received as part of our player sponsorship enquiries. Note, the info on the links provided below is based on old data from September 2004, but no doubt KK will note a couple of these figures with some intent.

;)

Supporter demographics
Note: Male-Female breakdown is 56-44% in favour of males.

Member demographics

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:34 pm 
Bruce Doull

I couldn't resist looking after that little challenge :wink:

NSW has 14% of supporters yet only 4% of members, compared to 7% of Supporters and 5% of members in WA.

There's a chicken-and-egg argument there, isn't there?

There may be more matches in Perth each year due to the higher per-capita or per-supporter percentage of membership, OR is it because of the higher amount of matches regularly in Perth that it translates to higher membership for those supporters?

Extrapolating that, I believe it is absolutely essential that the Club establish a more permanent presence up here, because going from the Perth experience, it proves that more matches interstate translates into a higher level of membership in that state/city.

With only one team in Sydney (that has to change soon), it is essential that we play one match up here every year, be it the practice match at North Sydney Oval, which is a big crowd draw in Sydney, a pre-season cup match, or a regular season match.

For anything less to happen is costing the club in terms of membership.

I would like to see similar figures for Collingwood and Essendon*, who play at least one match a year up here, as I believe their figures will back up my reading of the numbers. And on top of that it really gets up my goat, to use a Kim-ism, to see those Filthy clubs corner the market up here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:42 pm 
Bruce Doull

I must admit I was surprised at that 14% supporter figure for NSW/ACT ... so, more power to you KK! :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:07 pm 
formerly p(12)terg

You'd think that a city with such a large population would call for one game a year .. that, as K(EC)K suggested, would generate more interest in / support for the club .. that, and a few more wins .. would be interested in seeing the same figures for when we were a force and winning games

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:27 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Post-Judd there's been heaps more navy blue around in Sin City.

I reckon there's a huge untapped market here that we haven't worked out how to get hold of - yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:53 pm 
Ken Hands

biggest problem with WA is that you rarely find a CFC jumper on display.
It's all eagles and purple poofs.
on the rare occasion you do see something, the older fans like myself (not old but saw the late 70's and 80's) snap it up real quick.
This doesn't allow for younger fans to take a liking to us so easily unless they have a family member who is a fan of the CFC.
Add to that the fact that our onfield performances have been rather crap for a few years under one Mr Pagan, and the result is that the youngsters go for the eagles.

Don't worry though, there are HEAPS of Carlton fans in WA. I am 1500 kms from perth atm for work and I had a few beers and a CFC discussion with a couple of Carlton fans in the local pub the other night after seeing each other with Carlton shirts on.

Just watch CFC merchandise sales go up in WA now that Mr Judd has joined Carlton. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:08 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Kaptain Kouta wrote:
NSW has 14% of supporters yet only 4% of members, compared to 7% of Supporters and 5% of members in WA.

It probably comes down to what you classify as supporters. Many of the NSW "supporters" probably don't follow the AFL as religiously as they do in WA.

I remember 6-7 years ago when it seemed that every 2nd person in a non AFL state was an Essendon* "supporter".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:26 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Humpers wrote

Quote:
It probably comes down to what you classify as supporters. Many of the NSW "supporters" probably don't follow the AFL as religiously as they do in WA.

Regardless of where you go in Australia's largest City (Sydney) there's a plethora of expats from Vic, WA, SA, and Tassie; Aussie Rules States!...And of course they come from everywhere else in Australia and abroad. This is the nature of this city. People come here for all sorts of reasons, but mainly to further their career and make money. Although I must confess, that's not the case for me.

Don't be surprised how many Carlton supporters are living in Sydney, and don't be surprised at the number of Carlton supporters are Swans Members; it's the natural thing to do in a one team city if you're an admire of the great Aussie game. Lets face it, Aussie rules live is a much better game than watching it on TV, and Sydneysiders will tell you that.

It would be amazing to learn how many Sydney based individuals watched a live game of Aussie rules in a given year; that would provide interesting discussion. I bet there's about 80-100,000, maybe more!

It's really negligent and naive of the club not to pursue at least a preseason AND a fixture game in Sydney; it's a sitting goldmine for CFC, especially as we make our way to the top of the ladder.

If you're a Melbournian, when next in Sydney, wear a T Shirt, or a Jumper showing off the emblem of CFC and you'll see that we're not alone in Sydney; the Carlton brethren is alive and well in Sydney, and plentiful.

Come on Blueboys, let us entertain you in the Harbour City.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:52 pm 
Bruce Doull

Humpers wrote:
Kaptain Kouta wrote:

I remember 6-7 years ago when it seemed that every 2nd person in a non AFL state was an Essendon* "supporter".

First, those figures come from 2004, which is during our period of the worst performances on and off the field by the Club. So to say that supporters in "non-AFL" states are somehow fairweather supporters is a blatantly false and hollow argument.

I don't care if Carlton supporters only watch a handful of games a year, or if they live breathe and bleed Navy Blue, but the main thing is to help get them to convert their support from a verbal association to a real literal and financial attachment to the Club.

Making the assumption that the figures and percentages have remained somewhat static from 2004 to 2007, the NSW (when I say NSW, I mean NSW and ACT) members account for almost 1500 members at this stage.

To make that number increase, and as a result help the club achieve new heights in memberships, the Club has to make a sustained and serious long-term commitment to the NSW market.

If they do, you can guarantee that membership numbers in NSW can't help but rise, especially if NSW supporters see that the Club values their support and membership. As it is, we feel often neglected, I hate to think how forgotten Qld and NT fans feel year in year out.

To invest in NSW is in the long term interests of the Club, and, as a result, the AFL itself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:53 pm 
Bruce Doull

Bondi, between you and I, I think we should be able to formulate a cunning plan..... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:31 am 
Robert Walls

i'm amazed how often i see carlton folk around canberra.

the i know when we play in sydney there is a lot of interets from down here.

i dream of a NAB cup game at manuka.

even a NAB regional challenge game against the swans would over joy me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:48 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

KK wrote

Quote:
Bondi, between you and I, I think we should be able to formulate a cunning plan.....

Did you say cunning?

Strategy...tactics...smoke n mirrors...deception...fraud...

It sounds like Marketing to Me!

With plenty of thought we could come up with something. Rome wasn't built in a day.

I look forward to catching up with the Sydney Brethren on Draft Day!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:03 am 
Garry Crane

Adelaide has a massive Carlton fan base. I remember being at a carlton port game in 1998 and big lance had the first shot for goal. I did'nt really get a good look at the shot but thought he must of missed because of the huge roar that filled the place. That roar infact came from the Carlton contigent which to my suprise made up about 35% of the crowd.

Im of Greek decent and in Adelaide that pretty much means you either go for Port or Carlton. I've have'nt come across many footy fans at all that arent either Port, Crows or Carlton.

I remember playing at West Adelaide as a junior and at training the most gurnseys you would see would be Carlton. That included the likes of Adam Cooney and Byron Schammer.

Even last year I was playing amatures and Tony Burgess(ex collingwood) was our coach and he used to hate the fact that he used to see so many Carlton gurnseys around the place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:03 am 
Adrian Gallagher

I can recall one Big carlton supporter once OWNING the swans !!!! and a pink helicopter or two ..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:58 am 
Bruce Doull

Like i keep saying........

The Northern suburbs is a gold mine for us.... and its a great long term investement to be in bed with the Bullants.. if of course we can use it to our advantage....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:31 am 
Bruce Doull

vangipuss wrote:
Adelaide has a massive Carlton fan base.

Not that I doubt you per se, but "massive" is a relative term :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:42 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Synbad wrote

Quote:

The Northern suburbs is a gold mine for us.... and its a great long term investement to be in bed with the Bullants.. if of course we can use it to our advantage....

We've discussed this before under the vail of whether we should or shouldn't be aligned with the Ants. We disagreed in part.

Nevertheless, I'm sure you're onto something re the Northern suburbs. Whether it is with the Bullants alignment or not, that's not my point; the point is that the northern suburbs is straight up the road from MC Labour/ Prines Park.

We should be chipping away whilst with the Bullants to make inroads for the time we are no longer aligned with them; there will come a day!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:16 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

bondiblue wrote:
Synbad wrote

Quote:

We've discussed this before under the vail of whether we should or shouldn't be aligned with the Ants. We disagreed in part.

Nevertheless, I'm sure you're onto something re the Northern suburbs. Whether it is with the Bullants alignment or not, that's not my point; the point is that the northern suburbs is straight up the road from MC Labour/ Prines Park.

We should be chipping away whilst with the Bullants to make inroads for the time we are no longer aligned with them; there will come a day!

Any chance of the Northern Bullants - changing their colours to "Navy Blue". :wink:

Say even for one off games against Collingwood VFL - played at Princes Park.

Dicky may even kick in a few dollars - just a thought. :wink:

Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:17 pm 
Bruce Doull

bondiblue wrote:
Synbad wrote

Quote:

Nah i dont believe that were supported strongjhy in the Northern suburbs cos of the Bullants.. i believe its our heartland!!!

Not too many clubs have a connection with their heartland.. were lucky enough to be connected... and traditionally have had a few players from the area.

In a world where everything is getting more and more blurred between clubs.. in my opinion we should hold onto what has traditionally been ours.. and harvest it and finally farm it so we remain strong in a particular area whilst other clubs fumble for some kind of distinction with everybody else.

Im not from the Northern Suburbs nor have i ever lived there.... But knowing a few people from there over the years theyre usually Carlton or Collingwood supporters...
Collingwood dont have any identity with the suburb they were born from... anylonger... we do...
We also have control of what i call... "The heartland"
As for the Eastern suburbs Hawthorn will farm that vast area ... and StKilda the South...

There are not too many more areas where a club has a jump on everybody else anylonger....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:51 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Synbad wrote:
There are not too many more areas where a club has a jump on everybody else anylonger....

Footscray have tried to do it with the Western Suburbs - to a modicum of success.

But yes very important for us to take the high ground in the Northern Suburbs.

Winston Churchill