Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:22 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Forward Structure
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 12:08 am 
Robert Walls

Following the game on Friday night I was thinking how we might structure ourselves going forward - pretty much came up with the same idea as rubbernub posted up in another thread (Fev to CHF)

Basically I wouldnt mind seeing waite as a permanant FF and Fev moving out to CHF. Fev might not be tall enough but he does has the crash/bash type body (something that whitnall doesnt have) and combined with setanta they could perhaps fulfill duel hammill type roles

The way I think we could go is
FF Betts Waite whitnall
CHF Fisher Fev Setanta (with Fisher to take the corridor spot once he fills out a bit more)

I'd still keep davies in the team (interchanging with setanta or betts from the bench/midfield)

thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 12:49 am 
Craig Bradley

I think Waite at CHF and Fev at FF would be better.

When we have an easy possession running out of the centre just spear it to a leading Fev, but if it's coming out hot or bombed long, look for Waite in the contest around CHF.

Post subject: Re: Forward Structure
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 1:11 am 
Rod Ashman

4thchicken wrote:
FF Betts Waite whitnall
CHF Fisher Fev Setanta (with Fisher to take the corridor spot once he fills out a bit more)

5 talls in the forward line :shock: Why don't you just take Betts out and slot in DeLuca as well? :wink:

You need running flankers for creating opportunities and rotate through the midfield/backline. One of the flankers would be a Lappin/Houlihan type and the other flanker would be a Scotland/Walker type. As an option I might have 4 talls, but definitely not 5.

Post subject: Re: Forward Structure
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 2:50 am 
Robert Walls

malleefowl wrote:
4thchicken wrote:
FF Betts Waite whitnall

5 talls in the forward line :shock: Why don't you just take Betts out and slot in DeLuca as well? :wink:

You need running flankers for creating opportunities and rotate through the midfield/backline. One of the flankers would be a Lappin/Houlihan type and the other flanker would be a Scotland/Walker type. As an option I might have 4 talls, but definitely not 5.

its not overly tall - setanta isnt included as a marking option but more for his ground level work. Simarly Fev/waite can be quite good when the ball hits the ground. Fisher/whitnall would be the only weaker ground level players and though they can both play important/differing roles

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 4:33 pm 
Adrian Gallagher

Fev is a full forward.That is where he hurts the opposition.Our best forward line would be:
Scotland Waite Lappin
Whitnall Fevola Betts

Let Whitnall roam anywhere he wants in the forward line.He can then help Waite out at chf or go down to the ff line and kick a couple of goals.Whitnall is best when he is roaming around and not stuck to a certain position.But he also has to leave room for Fev to lead into.Lappin and Betts are good crumbers,while Scotland is a good finisher.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 5:12 pm 
Bruce Doull

I think Waite would be wasted as a permanent FF. Likewise Fev full time at CHF. I believe our forward structure is not that far off, it's only a few weeks ago some were suggesting we had one of the better forward setups in the comp ... and its only a few weeks ago our delivery to said forward structure was much, much better.

I'd still like Young Vin to be given a crack at CHB at some stage.

There was a thread a while back asking who on our list had that fear factor, and mongrel about them, a la Jonathon Brown, Michael Voss, Mark Ricciuto et al ... Young Vin has some of those characteristics I reckon, and at CHB he could prove to be very imposing.

He might very well be best for us in attack, but a few games as a KPP defender could be worth a shot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 9:43 pm 
Serge Silvagni

The key to our forward line being effective is to make sure the Fev
plays out of the goalsquare and just as importantly making sure he doesn't get sucked up the ground when the ball is in our defensive half.

In the last quarter against the Hawks we had Whits starting on the goal-line with Skinny sitting next to him.

This worked really well and virtually turned the game.

My favoured set up is essentially 4-2 structure with Fev leading out of the square and Fish waiting for the longer bomb to the goalsquare, Eddie cruising in from the 50 metre line, Whits / Waite the marking options further out and the last spot either a Lappin, de Luca or Walker depending on the opposition