Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:00 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 3:42 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

The Tyrant wrote:
Just a pointless, childish thread.

What did Warren ever do to you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 4:59 pm 
Bruce Doull

Synbad wrote:
...If the side can develop over the next few weejs into a top 8 outfit byu the end of the year...but be a genuyine finals side thats a step forward. However if we fimish 10th/ 11th again were treading water.
What we need is an injection of class and real talent.
Battlers will only take you so far...

Agree that we need an injection of class and talent. However, I don't necessarily agree with the comment that another finish around 10/11 on the ladder is treading water. On the surface of it (boom, boom) it might appear to be, but if we can at least continue to be competitive for four quarters and save the blow outs that, in my book, will be a big step forward. If we can get our percantage as close to, or even over 100% by season's end, regardless of wins, that would be a step forward.

I think the call for patience is correct. There is no doubt that we all get caught up in the hype from time to time and expect too much. I still feel that Denis is on the right track and expect to see us continually improve during this season and the future.

In my opinion, rather than setting a target of wins for the year, I think we should set other targets, such as, playing to our best ability for four quarters, continually trying our guts out for four quarters, trying to dispose of the ball to the team's advantage ... and most importantly developing our skills. If we could do well in those key areas the wins will look after themselves.

Denis has a tried and proven gameplan, which we have seen work at Carlton (cue Wizard Cup memories), but what we need is for the players to maintain the discipline and teamwork they showed in the pre-season. There is no doubting that if we had G&W that we would be that little bit closer, but one or two players will only give us a nudge along. The bulk of our improvement as a team will be just that, team improvement, team morale, team belief. You know the old saying a champion team yada, yada. The coaching staff have the fundamentals in place, we just need to get better at implementing it.

There's little argument from me that we, meaning forum posters, overeact at times, especially after a loss, but c'est la vie. We're getting better, it just may not be bleeding obvious that's all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 5:57 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Jarusa wrote:
The Tyrant wrote:
Just a pointless, childish thread.

What did Warren ever do to you?

HE KILLED MY BROTHER!!!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 6:33 pm 
Laurie Kerr

If the reigning premiers had done their job today we would be in the eight. Season over?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 7:29 pm 
Laurie Kerr

Dear Tyrant,
I am giving your posts probably more attention they deserve because you are becoming rather irrational.
But my post was about whether it is fair to write us off after last weeks game. Not whether I was right or wrong.

Quote:
He didn't come in and say "see, its foolish to say our season is over because of reasons a,b and c....".

Well there is no b and c just a. a being that it was too early to write us off

Quote:
And for F@%&#! sake, we beat the team who finished last by a handful of points, and played really poor footy for 3 quarters

What are you saying here? That the points dont count? That because we played poorly for 3 quarters that we should have lost? IMO it is a positive sign that we played so poorly and still won

Quote:
Now Nub is saying that we didn't play very well, and he's still nervous about our side

No you're saying that. I am saying that it is too early to write us off. That 2 .5 wins after the Last 3 weeks is pretty darn good. Please refrain from trying to put words in my mouth. If you had spent any time actually thinking about the point I am making you would realise that I am advocating not being nervous and jumping ship saying "seasons over". I try to be independant in my thinking and avoid taking the lemming school of thought on anything.

Quote:
and that there IS a time and place for naysaying

There is a big difference between nay saying and writing our season off after 5 rounds and a tough draw.

Quote:
and that's if we lose the next 5... which he's not writing off as a possibility.

The point that I was TRYING to make(and obviously I failed dismally with you) is that no one knows what is going to happen going forward(that means good or bad). That you have to let the side play the games and see how they equip themselves(to date I believe not too badly overall). It is not inconsistent to then say that if we lose the next 5 games in a row then I would be writing our season off at that point. That was using an example to illustrate a point. Not me being "nervous" or in anyway negative about our chances going forward.

Quote:
Fair dinkum Nub. You should take your bike to France, because you're a shoe-in for the Tour de France
Funny you should say that we were in Paris last year - what a fantastic way to see the end of the race at the Champs Elyse.

Quote:
You're backpeddling faster than Akermanis after a faux pas.

No backpeddling coming from me Mate. You asked a question and I answered it . You were the one that wanted a point expanded on. In hindsight I should have just ignored your post , because you obviously did not take the time to read it properly.

Quote:
Just a pointless, childish thread. How has your insight added anything more meaningful

I believe I had a valid point. You chose to misinterpret it and try to expand it into something that it was not. I wont waver from what i originally said- IT IS TOO EARLY TO BE WRITING OFF OUR SEASON.

Quote:
than the "priority pick" posts you hate?
Once again you are trying to put words into my mouth. What ARE you talking about? NB once agin you try to broaden out the topic into something else.
Quote:

You're just balancing them out on the positive side of unnecessary divisive posts.

Arent all posts potentially devisive? I am certain saying "our season is over" after 5 rounds is as devisive as any. Am i any more guilty of being devisive than those that posted the "our season is over" posts last week? In my book, if you go out on a limb and say that then you have to cop the flack if you are wrong. Sorry if i hold people to account for what they say(are you trying to do anything different to me)
You seem to be saying that I am constantly making divisive posts as you used Posts instead of post. Care to explain what you mean?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 8:09 pm 
Ken Hunter

get back to the point about me.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 8:13 pm 
Bruce Doull

Gary Lyon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 8:20 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

The Tyrant wrote:
Deano Supremo wrote:
And besides Tyrant, didn't you label Ballistsic Blues a troll after he posted this opinion? Surely that is you trying to say you're more of a supporter than he is, right?

Deano, you keep confusing my argument. I'm not saying "don't dispute anyone's position on a topic relating to the game". Of course if someone says something you don't agree with, you let them know about it. But, what I hate is people having a go at the way people support, suggesting that they're not supporting the club in the right way. .

But, by calling Ballistic Blues a troll you are doing the exact same thing. His idea of support apparently is by calling Fev a Donkey :Garthp:
TRN's idea is by making an 'I told you so' post.

The very idea you're defending (ie freedom to post whatever, wherever) is being damaged by having you defend it.

A wise man (ie you) once told me that if you don't like reading it, then don't read it.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 9:12 pm 
Bob Chitty

therubbernub wrote:
Just wondering how many of the informed posters who believed our season was over last week, will have the guts to defend their position this week?
Come on. You know who you are!

Well I wasn't one who stated that the season was over before last friday night.

BUT

how can anyone say that a win like that against Hawthorn after we have beaten the Bummers hasn't everyone and drew with the Power who are getting beaten by everyone.

Not willing to concede the season but after the next 3 weeks we'll know! and if there is anyone with more than blue in his blood that hand on heart believes we'll earn 12 pts I'd love to meet them.

BY THE WAY!!! How many of you pick us in your tipping competitions every week! I do with absolute unsurety every week

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 10:57 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

...This year...
percentage of 70...

(apologies to Tommi)
Don't think so.

That's the main point! No blowouts win the winnable...end up with 9-13 wins depending on the fall of the cards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 11:23 pm 
Harry Vallence

shhh i pick the blues every week irrespective...and 95% of posters have called for patience with this team. Our problem is we expect perfection becuase most of us have seen it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 12:39 am 
Stephen Kernahan

You wrote

therubbernub wrote:
The point that I was TRYING to make(and obviously I failed dismally with you) is that no one knows what is going to happen going forward(that means good or bad).

After first writing

therubbernub wrote:
Just wondering how many of the informed posters who believed our season was over last week, will have the guts to defend their position this week?

Well, seems to me, a mere mortal, that in your initial post you're implying that our season really isn't over, and that its wrong to write us off... not because making predictions are bad, but because the prediction is wrong because we've won a match. Because, it seems to me that your initial post, given the content and timing of it, is implying that our season is really ON, and not OFF... and so the PREDICTIONS are wrong, not the fact that predictions are being made.

If that WAS your point, then you COULD AT LEAST SEE that your INITIAL POST, give the TIMING AND CONTENT of it, seems to NOT BE CONSISTENT with the point you are now underlining.

In your initial post, you seem to be predicting that their prediction is wrong, and you're making that prediciton from the hindsight of a scrappy unfashionable victory over the second worst side. How is your prediction more sound than theirs? Oh, I forgot that you were ALWAYS making a point about predictions being too premature, even though your initial post provides no insight into that.

Nub, I propose that in future, you include some degree of your "point" if there is a point you're' making, because when you cover over one point with another, that looks like backpeddling to the naked eye.

And, if you think "gee, what is the Tyrant on about? Why is he claiming I'm writing our season ON after this victory, when I've clearly made a post about it being too early for predictions....... " then have a read of the other posts in here..... I'm not alone in this reading.

I used the plural because you keep supporting your unnecessary inital post in this thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 12:49 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Deano Supremo wrote:
The Tyrant wrote:
Deano Supremo wrote:
And besides Tyrant, didn't you label Ballistsic Blues a troll after he posted this opinion? Surely that is you trying to say you're more of a supporter than he is, right?

Deano, you keep confusing my argument. I'm not saying "don't dispute anyone's position on a topic relating to the game". Of course if someone says something you don't agree with, you let them know about it. But, what I hate is people having a go at the way people support, suggesting that they're not supporting the club in the right way. .

But, by calling Ballistic Blues a troll you are doing the exact same thing. His idea of support apparently is by calling Fev a Donkey :Garthp:
TRN's idea is by making an 'I told you so' post.

The very idea you're defending (ie freedom to post whatever, wherever) is being damaged by having you defend it.

A wise man (ie you) once told me that if you don't like reading it, then don't read it.

Deano, there is a subtle difference that I'm defending. Ballistic Blues' theory on Fevola was shit, and he was attacked for it. Thats fine. He made an objective comment about a player. Nub is passing judgement on his fellow supporters method of barracking, which I loathe. When you do that, you imply you're a better supporter. ESPECIALLY if the issue at hand is whether or not you have faith in your team to win.

I might say that Ballistic Blues' ability to read players is worse than mine, but I'm not undermining his ability to support his club.

Supporters attacking other supporter's right to support in their way. Whether or not "their way" is a good one is irrelevant.

Its subtle, but there's a difference there, Deano. This is about Supporter Elitism, not about whether Fevola is a donkey or not.

I have been consistent in recent weeks in opposition to posts about other supporters being wrong for supporting in their way. This is another of them.

Nub could have written a thread about predictions being premature either way. He didn't. Therefore, poor form.

I'm not undermining Nub's ability to support his club, but his theory on ridiculing the nerves of his supporter peers is a shit one and it deserves to be pointed out to him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 7:14 am 
Laurie Kerr

tyrant read my posts

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 9:01 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Synbad wrote:
We havent played the first few sides yet either. But from the crappy ones we have just about played them all bar Richmond and the Dogs..

Following that logic it means we will play most of the 'crappy' sides twice, sounds good to me. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 9:11 am 
Bruce Doull

Jarusa wrote:
Synbad wrote:
We havent played the first few sides yet either. But from the crappy ones we have just about played them all bar Richmond and the Dogs..

Following that logic it means we will play most of the 'crappy' sides twice, sounds good to me. :)

And if Hawthorn beat Brisbane and we beat Hawthorn then that means we're better than the team that has won 3 of the last 4 premierships. Go us!!! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 2:56 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

therubbernub wrote:
tyrant read my posts

quality response.

stop backpeddling. I'm calling your posts what they are. You don't seem to have the courage to stand by your opening remark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 3:39 pm 
Laurie Kerr

Why am I backpeddling?
How have I waivered from my original post- That it was too early for people to write our season off last week. What have I written that contradicts this?

You are a bit of a waffler for someone trying so hard to be arrogant and straight to the point.

Get back onto the original topic- Or cant you remember what it was?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 4:59 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

therubbernub wrote:
Why am I backpeddling?
How have I waivered from my original post- That it was too early for people to write our season off last week. What have I written that contradicts this?

You are a bit of a waffler for someone trying so hard to be arrogant and straight to the point.

Get back onto the original topic- Or cant you remember what it was?

I WROTE THIS ON PAGE, WHICH ANSWERS YOUR QUESTIONS. ANOTHER SET OF QUESTIONS YOU AVOIDED

You wrote

therubbernub wrote:
The point that I was TRYING to make(and obviously I failed dismally with you) is that no one knows what is going to happen going forward(that means good or bad).

After first writing

therubbernub wrote:

Well, seems to me, a mere mortal, that in your initial post you're implying that our season really isn't over, and that its wrong to write us off... not because making predictions are bad, but because the prediction is wrong because we've won a match. Because, it seems to me that your initial post, given the content and timing of it, is implying that our season is really ON, and not OFF... and so the PREDICTIONS are wrong, not the fact that predictions are being made.

If that WAS your point, then you COULD AT LEAST SEE that your INITIAL POST, give the TIMING AND CONTENT of it, seems to NOT BE CONSISTENT with the point you are now underlining.

In your initial post, you seem to be predicting that their prediction is wrong, and you're making that prediciton from the hindsight of a scrappy unfashionable victory over the second worst side. How is your prediction more sound than theirs? Oh, I forgot that you were ALWAYS making a point about predictions being too premature, even though your initial post provides no insight into that.

Nub, I propose that in future, you include some degree of your "point" if there is a point you're' making, because when you cover over one point with another, that looks like backpeddling to the naked eye.

And, if you think "gee, what is the Tyrant on about? Why is he claiming I'm writing our season ON after this victory, when I've clearly made a post about it being too early for predictions....... " then have a read of the other posts in here..... I'm not alone in this reading.

I used the plural because you keep supporting your unnecessary inital post in this thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 5:55 pm 
Laurie Kerr

Not trying to avoid your questions Tyrant- but I do have a day job and you have been throwing them at me pretty fast!

Quote:
in your initial post you're implying that our season really isn't over,

No its not! Are YOU saying it is?

Quote:
not because making predictions are bad, but because the prediction is wrong because we've won a match

They weren't predictions. People were saying our season is over- as if it was a fact. Go read some of them, its not hard to find them.
Nothing wrong with predicting as long as it is canvassed in that way. The posts I was referring to were not making predictions- they were making statements as if they were "fact". Big difference. I dont have a problem with predictions. I do have a problem with reactive statements that demonstrate little patience for our young and developing team nor understanding of what it takes to make the 8.

Quote:
Because, it seems to me that your initial post, given the content and timing of it, is implying that our season is really ON, and not OFF... and so the PREDICTIONS are wrong, not the fact that predictions are being made

Maybe its just me but I would have thought that our season was "on" until proven otherwise. Something that I have had to repeat it seems too many times. Predictions can be wrong(thats why they are predictions) , statements of "fact" are a different story
example of prediction: "Our season is gone unless we can turn it around....."
example of "fact": "Our season is already gone."
Maybe the difference is too subtle for you- but it is there.
Quote:

See above- it was not really my point -just your bastardised version of it.If you understand the difference between Predictions and "statement of fact" then you will see that the two are NOT inconsistent.

Quote:
In your initial post, you seem to be predicting that their prediction is wrong, and you're making that prediciton from the hindsight of a scrappy unfashionable victory over the second worst side

I wasnt "Predicting" anything.
"They" were "believing"(statement of "fact") our season was over they were not "predicting"

Quote:
scrappy unfashionable victory over the second worst side.

1.You can only beat your opposition
2. Many Carlton premiership sides played "scrappy unfashionable" football to beat lesser opposition in the past. This happens because they try to bring you down to their level.
3. 4 point is 4 points

Quote:
Nub, I propose that in future, you include some degree of your "point" if there is a point you're' making

My point was (once again) Nah! read it yourself.

Quote:
because when you cover over one point with another, that looks like backpeddling to the naked eye.

Give me an example, one where I was not merely responding to your rants about "Paris" or "% of supporters who want Carlton to lose" etc.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next