Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:07 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:55 pm 
Rod Ashman

Denis has gone because as he so eloquently put it "it is a winning business" and Denis did not win. However, the pressure has to be put squarely on the players. If our performance does not improve from here we can not automatically call for the coaches head. Denis bore the heat of our poor performance, the players have to wear it from here on. If we are in a similar position next year, I hope the forum does not call for the coaches head but really puts pressure on the players. In my view they get off very lightly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:59 pm 
Harry Vallence

With any luck hopefully there is a press conference sooner rather then later to announce that Whitnall, Kouta, Lappin, Teague, and Saddington will all retire at the end of the season.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:04 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I'm fine with that.

To be honest, i'm expecting a totally different Carlton for the rest of the year.
Not saying we're gonna be winning games or our skill level will double, i'm just saying that i fully believe that these kids, and some older players especially, will start to play like they're enjoying themselves.

But i am toatlly fine in now putting alot of the blame on some players IF they still fail to perform.

I have faith that they will.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:15 pm 
Bruce Doull

If you'd been here for a while you'd know that the players certainly don't get off easy around here. Definitely they need to be accountable, and they can't hide behind this "not playing for the coach" thing anymore. They've got the talent to be much better than this (we're not 20 goals worse than Brisbane) and they need to show it. I don't expect us to win anymore than about 1/3 of our games, but I at least expect our losses that we show some heart and pride. So yes, the players are on notice.

It was telling at the press conference that Pagan said his goodbye to the players was very brief and he was out the door. That says a lot for the "not playing for the coach" theory, and they can't use that excuse anymore.

#GUILTY

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:16 pm 
John Nicholls

Our current stiuation has certainly showed that we lack the leadership on field. Given our youth we just do not have the on field leadership we need. Guys like Lappin, Scotland, Houla and Kouta have played most games but are just not the type of player to show the leadership needed. Kouta may have once but his body cannot get him there. The other three are just not leadership material. Clubs have and need all types it is just we currently have a leadership vacuum. When you have a vacuum all sorts of undesirables can get sucked in. Case in point Lance. We put our eggs in his basket and he couldn't deliver and there was no one else with Stevo injured and too much to ask for the Walkers, Murphys and Gibbs. In some respects it is a reflection of poor planning by the MC and Coach over the past few years.
The next few weeks will be very interesting to see if anyone of the more experienced players"stand up". Bring on the blow torch.

I wonder what "The Plan" is from Swann et al?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:55 pm 
Bruce Doull

I'll be very interested to see how Fev responds to this, both publically and on the field. How he finishes this season now will say a lot about his future at the club.

#GUILTY

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:04 pm 
Bob Chitty

Donstuie wrote:
I'll be very interested to see how Fev responds to this, both publically and on the field. How he finishes this season now will say a lot about his future at the club.

No doubt by going on TFS and being made a fool of.......again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:18 pm 
John Nicholls

Donstuie wrote:
If you'd been here for a while you'd know that the players certainly don't get off easy around here. Definitely they need to be accountable, and they can't hide behind this "not playing for the coach" thing anymore. They've got the talent to be much better than this (we're not 20 goals worse than Brisbane) and they need to show it. I don't expect us to win anymore than about 1/3 of our games, but I at least expect our losses that we show some heart and pride. So yes, the players are on notice.

It was telling at the press conference that Pagan said his goodbye to the players was very brief and he was out the door. That says a lot for the "not playing for the coach" theory, and they can't use that excuse anymore.

100% correct - no excuses now. If you aren't good enough I can accept defeat but no capitulations like yesterday please.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:40 pm 
Serge Silvagni

whoa there tiger... you are expecting 18yo-21y.o to be accountable?

we want them to develop not be accountable

we want some serious experience and leadership in this bullshit of a nursing home of a list to guide their accountability and show them the way on the park.. we have no one doing this!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:55 pm 
Bruce Doull

We're struggling on field, in part, due to a lack of experienced leaders and we want to get rid of the handful of senior players we have???

Moreover, have you missed the end of year cleanouts we've been having for the last 5 years. The players are the group that has been held most accountable since our first spoon in 2002.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:57 pm 
Bruce Doull

winfieldblue wrote:
whoa there tiger... you are expecting 18yo-21y.o to be accountable?

we want them to develop not be accountable

we want some serious experience and leadership in this bullshit of a nursing home of a list to guide their accountability and show them the way on the park.. we have no one doing this!

I think that's who we're referring to here. Guys like Lappin, Houlihan, Fev, Ackland, Scotland, Whitnall etc, who should be showing these younger guys some leadership.

BUT, even though a lot of the guys are just starting their careers, they're still grown men and not children. There should NEVER be an excuse for rolling over when things get tough like they did yesterday. They need to be taught that giving up will not be tolerated.

#GUILTY

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:08 pm 
Serge Silvagni

apart from scotland, the rest are serviceable.
look at every list of the afl and compare there leaders with ours.... it is from one extreme spectrum to the other.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:12 pm 
John James

winfieldblue wrote:
apart from scotland, the rest are serviceable.
look at every list of the afl and compare there leaders with ours.... it is from one extreme spectrum to the other.

So what do you sufggest that Scotto's worth then WB?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:16 pm 
Serge Silvagni

scotto definitely needs to stay on the list but he needs help...firrito, campbell brown.. i dont really care all i want to see is a hard nut with exquisite footskills in the backline for one; that has been in the system for five years. trade someone and get josh hunt from geelong..is a good flower start

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:19 pm 
Bruce Doull

Hunt would be a good pickup. His only problem is he can't find a spot in the best backline in the league. But he's not worth a 1st rd pick.

#GUILTY

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:26 pm 
Serge Silvagni

absolutely not a first round pic.. just couple him with max rooke then one has to consider it.