Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:50 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:01 pm 
Wayne Johnston

It will be very interesting to see over the remaining 9 games as to how Harts performs as a CHF. I thought he looked very promising yesterday against Freo.

So how to get the best out of JK if Harts gets the CHF position long term?

With our current lack of ruckman, I wouldn't mind seeing JK given the nod for the remaining 9 games. We know he'll keep running and contesting all day long and maybe he might just turn out to be an excellent 198+cm mobile ruckman/follower with the right training program we so desperately need.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:22 pm 
Wayne Johnston

Trade Fev and use Harts and JFK rotating between the key posts with Waite and Fisher as flankers and the problem is solved.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:56 pm 
Ken Hunter

budzy wrote:

With our current lack of ruckman, I wouldn't mind seeing JK given the nod for the remaining 9 games. We know he'll keep running and contesting all day long and maybe he might just turn out to be an excellent 198+cm mobile ruckman/follower with the right training program we so desperately need.

Fair call budzy. We gotta try something with him. So far he has been useless, so a fresh approach is maybe what he needs.

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:41 pm 
Ken Hunter

bluedog wrote:
a fresh approach

or a fresh coach...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:47 pm 
Craig Bradley

mjonc wrote:
Trade Fev and use Harts and JFK rotating between the key posts with Waite and Fisher as flankers and the problem is solved.

I think Fev has more value than the high draft pick that you would get for him. I also think he has more value than the first round pick and second/third season player that you would get if he cleaned up his act before the end of the season. I also think he has more value to our team than Judd would bring to a team without Fev (for those who are naiive enough to think that might happen).

The set up was good when we went tall against Freo. The supply wasn't. Our midfield either didn't work hard enough or they didn't work smart enough when we had the ball. Every time someone did something good to win the footy, the support in extracting the ball with run wasn't there. Inevitably, the disposal would lack quality because there was either too much pressure or the decision was rushed.

I can see JFK fitting into that structure as opposed to Carlos whose value as a defender outweighs his forward skills at the moment. What Carlos lacks in set-shot kicking mechanics is something that needs to be addressed away from the game time. What he has in hunger and passion for a contest is something that we desperately need accross half back.

The beauty here is that they both have enough rucking ability to provide relief during a game for a young tap ruckman who is not quite strong enough to handle the rigours of a full game in the ruck.

I see a future without Ackland and Saddington and perhaps that's where we need to be at the moment. Put it on all these kids with some ruck abilities to make their name as a key defensive player because that is where they will get a game in the next week or so.

I would also put it on our nine best runners to justify their place on the field. They need to know each other's stregths and weaknesses and find a way to work together. They need to communicate on tactics amongst each other rather than waiting to be told. If they want to know what it feels like to control the tempo then they need to grow up enough to fix a situation themselves before it becomes a five goal problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:55 pm 
Serge Silvagni

there is heaps of room for the afl for jk when he learns to mark and kick.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:58 pm 
Wayne Johnston

bluedog wrote:
budzy wrote:

Fair call budzy. We gotta try something with him. So far he has been useless, so a fresh approach is maybe what he needs.

I don't agree at all that JK's been 'useless'. That's a rediculous description.
JK has definately been mis-used at AFL level IMO.
I just want all our young blokes who are 'willing' to get real opportunity in roles that suit them and their styles.
Harts has the attributes to be a CHF & JK has the attributes to be a ruckman/follower IMO.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:24 pm 
Ken Hunter

budzy wrote:
bluedog wrote:
budzy wrote:

I don't agree at all that JK's been 'useless'. That's a rediculous description.

Maybe more apt for Big Red? :wink:

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

Post subject: JK/Harts
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:28 pm 
Harry Vallence

Could JK play at CHB in a Paul Roos style?Would leave Harts up forward where his long kicking could prove damaging.Waite could be used forward or back depending on matchups.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:52 pm 
formerly Yazzamatazz

winfieldblue wrote:

JK is a good kick. A very good kick for his hight.

Time will prove me right when i say he will be a reliable kick for goal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:06 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

JK and Hartlett have been given a bucket on the Titanic and told to start bailing.......are they any worse than Drew Petrie or Boyle from Hawthorn? I dont think so...they have as much talent if not more but have been part of a miserable coaching setup with no game plan.
What other turkey of an organisation allows both the senior coach and the twos coach to continue in such a poor relationship...how can that not affect young players.

I wasnt keen on JK playing in the ruck but given our situation I dont mind him being given a run on the ball and a chance to get a kick...he gets murdered by the coach anyway when he plays CHF and just bypassed when he does make leads etc......
Hartlett showed he has ability and should be perserved with......not dropped after the next game if he has a bad one vs melbourne..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:10 pm 
Serge Silvagni

Firearm Fevs wrote:
winfieldblue wrote:

listening to the ants on radio today, he shanked every kick...

harts has always been a fair reader of the play... jk seems lost...makes his appearance even worse when he can't mark and cant kick...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:16 pm 
Rod Ashman

mjonc wrote:

I agree. I have had enough of Fev. It is time that we look to the future without him. Harts CHF and JFK FF or vice-versa is the way to go...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:17 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

winfieldblue wrote:
Firearm Fevs wrote:
winfieldblue wrote:

listening to the ants on radio today, he shanked every kick...

harts has always been a fair reader of the play... jk seems lost...makes his appearance even worse when he can't mark and cant kick...

Really want JK to be a good player, and when he played his first few games for us, I thought he was gonna be a genuine CHF, sort of an improved version of Earl. But for whatever reason he's lost his way big time. Having signed him up for 2 more years, let's hope our new Senior coach and new Ants coach can turn him around in 08.

But gee, look at the way first gamer Ben Reid played tonight for the Filth, not to mention their Irishman. Its sad that all our recruits outside of our no.1s are "project players", whereas Filth first gamers can blitz.

:(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:27 pm 
Harry Vallence

On the plus side, Swann will have a very good understanding of how development was approached at Collingwood. Hopefully some of those structures will be put in place for us in the next year or two.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:48 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

steve wrote:
On the plus side, Swann will have a very good understanding of how development was approached at Collingwood. Hopefully some of those structures will be put in place for us in the next year or two.

Yeah, hope you're right. And that would probably mean some full time development coaches like they've got ?. Hopefully some good coaching can translate the talent that they showed to get drafted, into onfield performance. At least Harts showed a bit yesterday, and is one who could be developed. But can anyone turn the likes of JK and JR around ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:21 pm 
Rod Ashman

mjonc wrote:

Agree to trading Fev, IF we can get a suitable trade.

However, I still maintain that we are too top heavy up forward. We cannot play Waite, Fisher, Hartlett and Kennedy all up forward. Our forward line will work so much better with 3 talls (and I include Fisher as a third tall), and then three mids/smalls to do the crumbing (currently non-existent) and forward defensive pressure.

Bring back the laurel wreath logo!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:31 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Back the the thread topic, to me, Hartlett looked a natural leading out from FF.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:02 am 
Bruce Doull

Yeah, Harts went alright in patches. Well, the patches I was game enough to watch. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:41 pm 
Wayne Johnston

mjonc wrote:

quite possibly the most intelligent thing you have ever said......