Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:55 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:21 pm 
Garry Crane

Part of the problem with our team is the apparent lack of leadership in the playing group. The plan was for a rotating captain 5 weeks ago, and now its changes to just having Simmo as our preferred interim captain.

What happened to Scotland? Giving Waite a second shot? We know about Fevola? Is there noone else in our team that posses captain attributes?

Watching all of these loosing matches lately all i seem to see is disunity amongst ther players. Players having a go at their teamates when they stuff up, poor body language.

Our playing group needs to be re-united.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:47 pm 
Craig Bradley

i think that Simmo being the captain for the last three weeks tells us everything about our senior players.

Stevens to be made Captain next year
Murphy to be made Vice Captain next year
Simpson to be made Deputy Vice Captain next year

and FFS get rid of the "leadership" group, such a bullshit situation when you have none at your club.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:02 pm 
Horrie Clover

if u watch the hawks whenever a player gets tackled of has someone on them, someone runs in and drags the bloke off his team mate! we have nothing like this, at times we are nancy boys!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:04 pm 
Bruce Doull

Couldn't have said it better. Look at our senior group.

Whitnall: Too slow, too soft, does not give any leadership whatsoever
Kouta: At least tries to set an example, but his body just can't cope anymore
Scotland: Waits at the back of every contest and refuses to man up
Houlihan: Again waits at the back while the 19-20 year olds dive on the ball to get it out. Simpyl WILL NOT apply physical pressure to anyone
Lappin: Too inconsistent. Drifts in and out of games like a silent fart
Fev: How in the hell could he have been considered as captaincy material?
Stevo: Seems the likeliest candidate to lead this team, but his dummy spits need to get under control

Compare to a team like the Kangaroos, who don't have a team that much better than us, yet now sit outright 2nd on the ladder

Harvey: A proven matchwinner. Can win a game all by himself but still brings others into the game
Simpson: Quiet, unassuming, but does all the hard stuff and inspires his teammates just through his sheer grit
Grant: Even though he may not get many touches in a game, you can bet when he does get his hands on the ball he'll do something inspirational
Archer: What more needs to be said?
Petrie: Not naturally gifted but ALWAYS provides a contest and works his arse off

It's hardly a wonder that guys like Macintosh, Swallow and Jesse Smith are thriving. They've got experienced guys that they can depend on to back them up no matter the odds. Our young guys on the other hand just see their "leaders" drop like flies, allow them to get bashed each week (at least Fev stood up for them that one time against the filth) and whinge and point fingers.

#GUILTY

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:14 pm 
Adrian Gallagher

But for F...***%%ks sake do you we only blame the coach?

What about the MC? What about recruiting?

Mate, huge questions about Stephen Kernahan?

Tell me why that our players aren't having a go, showing heart, showing

pride for wearing the NAVY BlUE jumper.

Bloody hell, talk about lack of leadership? Never has been any this year

on the field. And only lately there has been some off the field.

I just hope that this time next year are making some positive inroads.

We are bloody rabble and it shouldn't be just denis pagan that is given

the arse!!! Alot of senior players can also be shown the door!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:25 pm 
Geoff Southby

Lance and Stevens, they are both out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:32 pm 
Ken Hunter

Speaking about leadership, compare Jonathon Brown and Fev.

No comparison. :cry:

True leadership shines when the going gets tough.

For the Carlton Footy Club, times are very tough, and as this thread indicates, leaders are few.

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:34 pm 
Geoff Southby

bluedog wrote:
Speaking about leadership, compare Jonathon Brown and Fev.

No comparison. :cry:

True leadership shines when the going gets tough.

For the Carlton Footy Club, times are very tough, and as this thread indicates, leaders are few.

Yeah because Brown has had it real tough so far in his short career.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:38 pm 
Bruce Doull

He's a perfect example. He's inherited what was once a great team but is now full of kids wanting to make their way in the a-grade, and he's stepped up to the plate. He was able to learn from guys like Voss, Scott, Pike, Ashcroft, Leppitsch and Lynch, and has taken that huge responsibility and expectation incredibly well.

Fev on the other hand was around when Sos, Ratts, Braddles, Campo (before he ran off on us), McKay, Kouta (at his peak) and Dean Rice were there to learn from. Tell me he's responded as a leader in the same way Brown has.

#GUILTY

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:55 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Rememeber when Schwab was coach, Parko callled Hawks a team of mummys boys. They got Clarkson, Viney and Hardwick and they fixed that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:19 pm 
Bruce Doull

buzzaaaah wrote:
Rememeber when Schwab was coach, Parko callled Hawks a team of mummys boys. They got Clarkson, Viney and Hardwick and they fixed that.

Anyone know what the father, the son and the holy spirit are up to for the next few years?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:58 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Forgive me for asking....................and please don't think i'm trying to start an argument here but................what has Nick Stevens done to deserve the captaincy of this team?

Sure, he had a good start to the year, and a good NAB Cup campaign, but last year he was anything but a leader.

I'd much rather Simpson continue on as Captain, or even Murphy.

Infact, i was never a big fan of the whole '3 captains' thing that is now so big in the AFL but i'd actually like to see Simpson & Murphy and Fisher share the captaincy (ala, Riewoldt, Ball with StKilda or Black, Brown & Power with the Lions and even the Sydney boys.)

As much as im looking forward to Nicks return and wish him the best for the 08 season, i could think of better options as captain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:11 pm 
Ken Hunter

ryan2000 wrote:
Forgive me for asking....................and please don't think i'm trying to start an argument here but................what has Nick Stevens done to deserve the captaincy of this team?

Sure, he had a good start to the year, and a good NAB Cup campaign, but last year he was anything but a leader.

Agree, and have mentioned this before. There was a lot of talk last season about how Stevens would drop his head when things weren't going his way.

Started lifting his performance when it dawned on him that the captaincy position might be up for grabs.

But in saying this, he would still be one of our better options...

possibly. :?

re Murphy. No doubt he would hold the position with the utmost dignity and honour.. Would he still consider himself too young and/or inexperienced to take the role though?

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:16 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

bluedog wrote:

re Murphy. No doubt he would hold the position with the utmost dignity and honour.. Would he still consider himself too young and/or inexperienced to take the role though?

Yeah that's a fair point and i have considered that, but.............

If we are to get Voss as our coach, i could think of no better choice for captain.

Youngest coach, youngest captain..................youngest list!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:23 am 
Wayne Johnston

ryan2000 wrote:

I think he springs to mind by default, he hasn't been tainted by this season because he has not played, and you tend to try and forget bad things, so we only remember the good things about his playing. Also he will be about the only senior player left next year with the culling that is coming.

Gone - Kouta, Lappin, Saddington, Teague, Ackland (I hope), Bannister, Whitnal, Wiggins.
Options - Houlihan(lol), Fev (LOL), Stevens, ??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:25 am 
Wayne Johnston

ryan2000 wrote:
Infact, i was never a big fan of the whole '3 captains' thing that is now so big in the AFL but i'd actually like to see Simpson & Murphy and Fisher share the captaincy (ala, Riewoldt, Ball with StKilda or Black, Brown & Power with the Lions and even the Sydney boys.)

I would like to see Setanta in that group.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:53 am 
Horrie Clover

Stealth wrote:

spot on pagan is only 1 part of the problem.

the more I watch our players play each week, the further away I see the ultimate success of a premiership being.

we have too many players who are willing to be passengers and who are not prepared to do the hard work that is required.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:05 am 
Stephen Kernahan

BIBI01 wrote:
Stealth wrote:

spot on pagan is only 1 part of the problem.

the more I watch our players play each week, the further away I see the ultimate success of a premiership being.

we have too many players who are willing to be passengers and who are not prepared to do the hard work that is required.

That'll change with the right coach

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:29 pm 
formerly p(12)terg

Is there any one else that really wants it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:41 pm 
Adrian Gallagher

Slowly but surely today the right foundations are beginning to be put into place. I really believe that poor recruitment has really hurt us. And it is now and i believe for at least the next 3-5 years will show us all the mistakes that were madein this area. IT is and will continue to hurt us for awhile yet. We as a club cut corners in many areas and it has hurt us big time and we have been bleeding like hell.

Don't expect miracles overnight or in the short term. But at least the guys can learn about character, commitment, and being grateful that they have an opportunity to play afl football. We need leaders and this takes time, but geez the playing group has had much to look up to or believe in the hierachy at Carlton over these years. Unfortunately, on many occassions its the players and coached who have become scape goats for the incompetence displayed by those who supposedly been running the club and have had the CFC at their best interest. Bullshit!!! Many have just thought of themselves and its people like you and me and many of the younger players who have been crucified.

Cheers