Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:45 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:46 am 
Bruce Comben

Ponkstar wrote:
We need a big, tall, strong, fierce competitor who will force a contest and keep the ball trapped in our forward 50. Anyone on our rookie list that might fit that description?

Carlos?
When is he going to be given a shot?
Couldn't Hartlett have been put on the LTI list?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:01 am 
Bruce Doull

Whats wrong with Lance at CHF?

look Lance started the season all enthusiastic and vibrant in the Wizzer. he prepared himself as best he could,
He ran back into the defence to help out.. was on the wings giving Fev space.. provided a link going forward and he generally worked hard.
Now hes all static in Fevs forward 50 and creating a parking lot.
We dont need 2 190cms forwards that cant pack mark in the arc for Christs sake its ridiculous!!!

Go run up a wing Lance and provide a link and room for Fev.... :roll: :lol:
The problem was always he will have to do it over a season not 4 pre season games.
What he was doing he now aint!!!

Can anyone even say he looks as fit as he did 6 weeks ago???
Last week kouta started at CHB and didnt look interested. wanted to get out there... so he did.. Lance was given the job after doing FA in the forward line nd did a sterling job (even if Tredrea was out of touch and missed sitters) anyway.. Denis thinks ok.. lets leave Lance there this week we need another BIG body at CHB... so Lance is probably thinking.. i did ok last week at CHB.. Kouta didnt try and got shifted out.. ill just do the same... Well if he didnt!!!Thats what it looked like to me!!!

Now why wouldnt we play Waite at CHB??Do we want him to be a wingman forever????Pavlich would have been perfect.

At least Waite is a modern day footballer. (whatever that means) ... i know Lance isnt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:16 am 
Craig Bradley

Synbad I agree that Waite should now be given a shot at CHB - last year he was getting brushed aside too easily and couldn't take a contested mark to save himself. This year he has lifted a notch and is taking some good contested grabs. He could be a damaging runner from half back. Plus, he is one of our better chase/tacklers.

As for Whitnall, he may be slimmer and sleeker but he still has no physical presence. In a one on one he tends to play for frees rather than try and out mark his opponent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:44 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Waite is possibly more damaging going forward than in the back half. Having said that he has the tools to play CHB; he has long arms, has a good leap, he likes a contest, he's quick, he tackles aggressively (though he possibly gives away too many frees for in the back or too high).

Having said that, he's got an intimidating presence that Whitnall doesn't have. You know that if you win a kick against Waite you're going to have to earn it. I think having Waite at CHB is not a bad idea but maybe Pagan's idea is that he's more damaging going forward. His goal from the boundary was pure class.

Certainly worth a try.

- Igor Stravinsky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:46 am 
Bruce Doull

Having said that our forward line is crowded enough and Waite can learn more about being a CHF from Brown Pavlich Tredrea Riewoldt than he ever will in a crowded crowded line at Carlton.
Plus he needs to learn to be a KPP.
will be good for his development to go to CHB now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 12:27 pm 
Bruce Comben

You said it in the first line..."young team"!!!
We will get better, and as opposed to previous years, we didn't throw in the towel , see also Ess game, Port Game..shows a lot of spirit to come back when down say 4-5 goals, so we gotta keep it in persepctive.

BUT,

We need to get back on the winning track from this week, otherwise the confidence will be sapped. We need someone to take the game by the scruff this week, Waite has been doing a good job of it the last few weeks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:04 pm 
Rod Ashman

I don't think it's as bad as all that.

This team looks a bit better than last year. Losing sucks but losing because of a 15 mins of fadeout is better than a schelacking because you didnt turn up on the day.

I can cop the losses to Roos and Freo because of the circumstances of those teams. I'll take the 2 over Port. The Collingwood loss sticks in my craw worse than over at Fremantle because it is one they should have had 4 points from, and be 2-2-1 rather than 1-3-1.

If Carlton don't win the next two games then I'll give up on the season in terms of finishing anywhere decent because 1-5-1 is a shitful position to be in.

However one thing I wont be doing is putting as much heart into this side, because I cant be bothered getting angry with them anymore. It just sets you up for a bad weekend.

I'll just sit and see what happens. If it all happens, great, if not, its only football. I have many other things to enjoy in life if Carlton aren't winning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:23 pm 
John James

Thought our coach's perspective of the performance was worth repeating in this thread:

"I think we were intense, I thought we were hard, I thought we had a crack but probably just didn't have enough good players on the day to use it properly when we needed it," he said.

"At the end of the day it was missed opportunities, (we) butchered the ball and that brain seizure all of us had just before half time."

I would be frustrated, disappointed, etc etc if the boys had laid down and died like they did in seasons past, but they didn't. They have improved, and will continue to improve.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:42 pm 
Craig Bradley

Wait a minute...last week I was told in no uncertain terms that Thornton was our CHB for the future and we needed a CHF.....now Waite is the future at CHB, where does that leave Thornton? Oh at....... full back like I suggested.

Personally would perfer Waite up forward....still need a CHB though.

L.M 35-06

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:55 pm 
Bruce Doull

Thornton is our CHB Mark. Livo should be our full back.. or we get another guy.
We cant play Waite at FB can we???Bit too negative for J IMO to play FB....

I did say Waite for this year didnt i???So he can learn?
Till Livo is back at FB doing the negating role.... while we rebound with T Bird and Waite at CHF or extra KP.
Another KP defender we may need but T Bird is our CHB.

Pay attention Mark!!!... its all becoming really complex for you huh??? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 4:08 pm 
Bruce Doull

Elwood Blues1 wrote:
I will be more blunt....I thought Freo intimidated us physically and thats saying something becuase Freo are on the whole a soft team.
Medhurst and Farmer are punks and we let them push and shove our blokes and no one did anything. Medhurst needs some physical attention to upset him... a Glen Archer type...when are we going to get it right with him?
Denis had a poor day in the box and the selection comittee got it way wrong....backing up after Port we needed fresh legs ie Betts, Bannister, Simpson...we had too many slow movers for Freo in those conditions.

I'll say this again ..we need a pack marking key forward who can take the heat of Fev...looking for Fev every forward thrust doesnt work especially with lance not being that type of player and having to fill in down back.
Maybe Chris Bryan or promote Sentanta..I dont care just give me a big bodied player with some grunt who make a contest.....Thornton, Parker, Grover etc are about as crap as it gets and we couldnt take a mark down there...cant wait for Fisher to get back either....
Troy Longmuir....not good enough like I said last week no physical presence...
Karl Norman...how big are you 195cm 95Kg plus...start using that size and make a statement...we didnt recruit you to hang out wide on the flanks and look for the easy receive and play like a half back flanker..get in there and give us some grunt.

Thought Andrew Walker went ok..attacked the footy, dispsoal was ok and even though he got caught with the footy at least he was trying to create and do something...nothing to kick to so forced to do it on his own.

Really dissapointed in this game as I thought we would win....it was the wimpy way we went about it that worries me and some of the old ghosts came back to haunt us...lack of pace, lack of grunt and lack of marking power. Without a 10-12 mark a match CHF we are going nowhere...Fev was a idiot gouging Grover but he must be frustrated being the only player apart from Thornton that can look after him self when it gets physical...

Good points Elwood...the way I see it our weaknesses are tackling, manning up (poor in all 5 games, not too bad against Port though), and contested marking. What is Libba doing about our tackling FFS?? Sick of seeing Carlton players sticking out 1 arm & getting brushed aside. Get the bags out this week boys.

We need more physicality, intimidation, & desperation. We just don't have enough tough players like Jude Bolton, Mal Michael etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 4:18 pm 
Bruce Doull

Libba is teaching us to eye gouge

Waite should be CHF not CHB

Lance needs to have a week or two off and pull the ol tyre out to go for a run again.[/quote]

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 4:21 pm 
Bruce Doull

IMO, Lance has to play each game to prove he wont break down and he is playing AL at the ighest level, if we have trading him as an option.Who the hell will get sucked into taking the next Corey???
Lance has to be showcased and we had better hope he does a few good things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 4:21 pm 
Wayne Johnston

grrofunger wrote:
Libba is teaching us to eye gouge

:lol: :lol:
I was wondering when that would appear :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:01 pm 
Bruce Doull

Add me to the list of peeps that would like Waite to get a run at CHB. T-bird may well be our long term solution for the possie, but no harm in giving Waite a few games there IMO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:23 am 
Robert Walls

Really disappointed with the effort on the day.
Beside the really poor disposal and often awful decision making, the intensity and desperation wasn't there for me.

If we lose I want to be a proud loss, and having them given everything. Wiggo was one of the few for mine, who was committed to actually gonig hard and getting the pill in a contest.

Simple really, get the ball, if you haven't got it tackle and chase. Hard.

Is Chris Bryan an angry man?
If he is I want him at CHF throwing a bit of weight around and letting the flowers know they're playing Carlton.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:26 am 
Bruce Doull

I think the reason why Bryan is not playing is because he is not showing urgency and he isnt playing with real presence.
You might want to check with Blue Mark but he doesnt talk about things he knows.. He only talks about things he doesnt know.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:41 am 
Robert Walls

Would he step it up if in the ones and given the task?

I just reckon we lack a real presence in the forward line. When the ball comes in those gumbies from Freo should be concerned where the tank is going to hit them from.

Maybe the Irishman? I don't know I just think we're lacking physical pressure - which may make the task easier for Fevola.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:30 pm 
Harry Vallence

Freo had 69 tackles to our 33, thats our lowest for the year, Collingwood game 39 our next lowest, Essendon* game 59 our highest. Interesting Teague 10th in the league and Barney 21st our top tacklers. Not good enough from the midfielders, even when not suspended.
Good pressure from Freo but a tough month for us and some heavy travel and heat. Hawks game will be interesting.
We have no skill outside Stevens, so tackling intensity critical, no surprise our results mirror our tackle count. Must lift this or our pathetic defence gets whats coming to them, Bentick time me thinks.