Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:08 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 921 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 47  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 8:48 am 
Bruce Doull

Hey...............

how good would it be.........if Ronnie De lulio become the next....
"it" coach.............!

huh....?

kindest regards tommi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 9:51 am 
Ken Hunter

brycegibbs4 wrote:
TruBlueBrad wrote:
imitation_of_life wrote:
i reckon we should take our our pick of the coaches, the same way we did with Swann and Icke.

perhaps a big offer to neil craig? i personally think he's about the best going round

Did anyone hear the big rumor on SEN this morning?

Pratt has told Swann to get Paul Roos. Offer is reportedly for a 5 year deal between $4m-$6m.

I would be very worried about Paul Roos, purely because I think the way the Swans play destroys football. Personally, I'd almost rather lose than play their chipping the ball around game. What would be the chance of him changing tactics at a new club? I Have the same worries with Longmire.

Like you said I'd rather Worsfld

Well said young man!

As for the best coach ... Matthews and then daylight but I doubt he'd come.

I'd like an experienced man but apart from the above mentioned no-one else tickles my fancy :lol: , so I would have a combination of Ratten/Voss/SOS/Cary/Rhys/Bradles in a heart beat!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 10:20 am 
Stephen Kernahan

camelboy wrote:
I heard we were getting Jose.

<--- :-D

No way...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 10:24 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Stan Alves????

Has anyone ever hired a sacked St Kilda job. Ever??
Once you get appointed St Kilda coach, you know you'll never coach another team.

Haveing said all that, I am very impressed with Grant Thomas' work on SEN and the Sunday Age.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 10:44 am 
Stephen Kernahan

I agree buzz. I reckon Thomas is great on the radio, not overly critical, very constructive, and a pretty smart bloke.

Certainly left St Kilda with his dignity intact, developed a bit of respect for old cornflakes after that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 10:46 am 
Rod Ashman

I have been in favour of a new face, but don't know enough about Chris Bond etc. I reckon Mark Harvey is a dummy, maybe I am wrong. I doubt many will agree but I would quite like Neale Daniher as coach. I reckon he has the Daniher charisma which allows him to connect with players, he is tough, was a supertalent who had it all taken away from him with injury so is hungry and understands exactly how quickly dreams disappear. He is clever tactically - he masterminded the tactics in the 93 GF that unpicked out centre square strategies and I think while the Dees have had some ordinary years they have also played finals 6 times (?) under ND, a great effort considering he only has an average playing group. I think he has for a number of seasons got them to perform better than their collective talent, which is what you want as a coach. Not sure if Old 55 still peruses our site but be interested in his view of ND

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 11:00 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Not sure about Mckenna.....bit of he's from West Coast and played with Worsfold so he must be good about Bluey.
Different personality to Woosha.....

Voss probably needs to go the assistant route and that will probably take him a couple of years and he should be in line for the Brisbane job.

Longmire is being lined up for the Kangas..didnt need Carey to tell us that either..old news.

Nathan Buckley interests me.....been impressed with his knowledge of the game and one on one stuff he has done with the Pies youngsters although like Voss will probably go the assistant role and wind up taking over from Malthouse..dont see Eddie letting Buckley drift away from the club.

Dont want Wallace....all talk, media hype but no results...

Grant Thomas...couldnt figure out you need a proper ruckman in the modern game so he doenst rate with me......

Neil Craig would on my list.....

I think if Roos wanted the job he would get it but to me all paths lead to Brett Ratten being the next coach...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 11:06 am 
Harry Vallence

If we approach wallet I wont watch footy again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 11:25 am 
Adrian Gallagher

I would think Pratt would look at Silvagni as a possible replacement.

EITHER WAY Kernahan will play a part in the terminating of Pagan and the recruitment of the next coach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 11:25 am 
Stephen Kernahan

bluehammer wrote:
I agree buzz. I reckon Thomas is great on the radio, not overly critical, very constructive, and a pretty smart bloke.

Certainly left St Kilda with his dignity intact, developed a bit of respect for old cornflakes after that.

His insight into the game is refreshing compared to the know-it-alls on other stations.
I really enjoy his philosophies on leadership and the strategies he used to build that at St Kilda. Its something we're clearly lacking atm.
The corporate world has been doing leadership building exercises for years. Thomas introduced it at St Kilda and was canned, but ina football sense, he was ahead of his time. Everyone has leadership groups now. Many clubs have co-captains. I wouldnt mind carlton getting Grant or someone else down to work on leadership in the club. It shouldn't be left to time and accident.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 11:29 am 
Rod Ashman

Quote:
EITHER WAY Kernahan will play a part in the terminating of Pagan and the recruitment of the next coach.

Love Sticks passion and selflessness, but don't want him chooisng the coach. Sacking Britts and getting Pagan was a monumental blunder as was re-signing DP 2 yeasr into a 3 year deal. I hope we learn from other clubs and birng in a panel to make assessments as both the Saints and Hawks did

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 11:32 am 
Wayne Johnston

from all reports, even though he sucked as a commentator, SOS demands respect and is excellent at working with players under his control.

i would not be upset at all to have SOS as head coach and ratts, braddles, and crossisca under him.

And lets not count out Gavin Crossisca either. Has stated before he wants to be a senior coach and has proven results in the VFL.

Ideally i would still want one of McKenna/Roos/Matthews/Rehn/Harvey/O'Donnell/Bond

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 11:33 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Bond #1 choice for mine. Ratten as his assistant. Bond has worked under Eade who speaks highly of him...Ratts has had some experience as assistant under Daniher for a year and Pagan for a couple, but as it stands now - too close to the players and that's a good thing to have an assistant as a bit of a confidant; but not as a senior coach. As part of his role - I'd like Ratts to be Bullants coach as well. I'd still have Braddles as skills/mid coach, Dempsey as Ruck coach, TD as forwards coach and I'd want Silvagni back as defensive coach.

So there's my coaching panel. And that means goodbye to Pagan and Mitchell who through every fault of their own will fall on their own swords. I expect Mitchell to be gone at the end of the season - Pagan and the club to part ways at the end of 2008. Libba will move on at the end of this year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 11:57 am 
Ken Hunter

bluehammer wrote:

He can't coach however. Tactically he is pathetic. I would stop following footy if this bloke set footy within my club, anywhere in fact.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 12:06 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Whoever writes the best footy articles or is best at special comments on the radio should be coach of the Blues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 12:17 pm 
Horrie Clover

Re Neil Craig, Great Preparation coach but I think he lacks instinct and the nouse on match day. Too many examples of no acting quick enough to opposition tactics. Having too much faith in his players and generally taking the instinctiveness of playing group.

Just get the best candidate there is, however my preference is for someone who has had experience as a senior coach somewhere, making the crunch decisions and that's my query on voss. No amount of great leadership can replicate or prepare for you match day in a coach's box. Yes Paul Roos and perhaps Voss may be the exception to the rule.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 12:22 pm 
Robert Walls

buzzaaaah wrote:
Stan Alves????

Has anyone ever hired a sacked St Kilda job. Ever??
Once you get appointed St Kilda coach, you know you'll never coach another team.

Haveing said all that, I am very impressed with Grant Thomas' work on SEN and the Sunday Age.

Probably no one has ever hired a sacked st kilda coach - from memory though, alves was sacked after 97 and the prelim?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 12:24 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I love Grant Thomas involved in the club somehow. Perhaps a role with the MC or football director or something.

He has a wonderfull gift of creating a strong relationship between the players & knows how to conect with them.

Can't coach...................but he has plenty of other strong points that should see him involved in footy still.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 12:49 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

My perception of Thomas is that he's a meglomaniac....control freak...and not necessarily a team man with the off field personnel.

He may connect with players, but we have to be mindful that ruckmen are players too, and I think if he came aboard, players like Hampson, Jacobs, Aisake...and maybe even Ackland and Cloke may feel undervalued with him present.

I'd be really happy with BOND, with Ratten as his assistant.

In fact I'd prefer Bond to Voss as senior coach in 2008...but would be happy for Voss to join the coaching panel as co assistant coach with Ratten.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 1:11 pm 
Bruce Doull

dannyboy wrote:
Rambo Stallone wrote:
blueman wrote:
Ive always believed that Brett Ratten will be the next Carlton coach.

He would be respected and also popular with the players.

Brett would be the kind of coach that the players would bleed for.

There would be a very strong 'play for the jumper' ethic at Carlton if he got the gig.

I think he wouldn't make it as a coach,well not for us,just my opinion a graet guy and player but i'ts rare a coach that plays for a team does great coacing his old side.

Roos

Worsfold

In actual fact, Carlton has quite the record when it comes to past players coaching flags, here's a few names you may be familiar with:
Diggins
Barassi
Nicholls
Jesaleunko
Walls

Other past players to have coached their side to a premiership:
Kennedy Snr
Jeans
Hafey
Bourke
Parkin

There's 10, I gave up looking after that. ;)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 921 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 47  Next