Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:22 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:52 am 
Trevor Keogh

interesting read:

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/real ... 59944.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:59 am 
Craig Bradley

yeah - interesting process the blues have in place.

does sound like the best way to do things but is it a practical process? Time will tell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:01 am 
Bruce Doull

My understanding is were pretty choca-block this year unless wehad put Campo on the vets list and along with Kouta would have us near 7 million and way over budget.
Youd never guess were paying nearly 6.5 million to this squad.(inclusing 300kish to Kouta outside of the cap.
Sure McKernan, Beaumont, Harf and Mott are in the equation but we have one or two ridiculous contracts. ... theyre killing us.

Fev will stay.

Plenty of room next year and aggresive at targetting players again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:15 am 
Craig Bradley

Have no doubt Fev will stay.

L.M 35-06

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:19 am 
Ken Hunter

To be honest, I think Fev is playing a dangerous game. Hope it doesn't backfire. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:26 am 
Craig Bradley

He is just maximising his market value (unless he has a shocker of a year) so that in a couple of years when he has a bad year he can be rippd apart for being greedy :lol:

Actually the new payment scale makes sense and will be competition wide in the near future I would think. Interestingly it is not dissimilar to a system I proposed a couple of years ago.

L.M 35-06

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:35 am 
Ken Hunter

Synbad wrote:
Sure McKernan, Beaumont, Harf and Mott are in the equation but we have one or two ridiculous contracts. ... theyre killing us.

I thought he retired so that we didn't have to pay him out. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:36 am 
Ken Hunter

BlueMark wrote:
Actually the new payment scale makes sense and will be competition wide in the near future I would think. Interestingly it is not dissimilar to a system I proposed a couple of years ago.

Best scheme I have heard for a while Mark. No doubt Collo is behind it either. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:39 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

SurreyBlue wrote:
To be honest, I think Fev is playing a dangerous game. Hope it doesn't backfire. :cry:

Too right, Fev really needs to bag 70+ goals this year, not drop his head in any game and attack when he doesn't have the ball to get a good pay deal around the 400K mark IMO. Otherwise he should expect around the same deal he is getting now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:05 am 
Bruce Doull

BlueMark wrote:
He is just maximising his market value (unless he has a shocker of a year) so that in a couple of years when he has a bad year he can be rippd apart for being greedy :lol:

You reckon Fev is following the Harry Madden school of thought, one better than average year occuring in three yearly cycles to coincide with contract negotiations! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:40 pm 
Adrian Gallagher

It is interesting....Will Fev be loyal, and stay for a "fair" amount, or will he go for the money!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:44 pm 
Geoff Southby

bosman wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:

Too right, Fev really needs to bag 70+ goals this year, not drop his head in any game and attack when he doesn't have the ball to get a good pay deal around the 400K mark IMO. Otherwise he should expect around the same deal he is getting now.

C'mon Bos, he's clearly worth more than what he's on now. The question is how little 'extra' money we need to give him to keep him. This isnt the same as underpaid, as I think he was well paid for where he was, but we have to recognise his value. My main fear is the Pies, while the Pies and Bombers will both start to lose some $ off the cap, they are going to have some $ to throw around. Bombers dont need him but the Pies could move Tarrant upo ground and nab him. Fev was a Pies fan, although Im not sure that means anythingm uch these days.

Pagan is the wildcard, while Pagan is teaching Fev and not losing his patience with him, that 'teaching' relationship could be worth a helluvalot. I say sign up as soon as possible, contract negotiations out in the oipen aren't in anyone's interests.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:35 pm 
Harry Vallence

It would interesting to know what criteris the CFC uses to determine market value. If it includes considering the amount of the Barry Hall Contract, which I think was around $500k a year - that could be a bit much???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:45 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

SurreyBlue wrote:

How's he playing a dangerous game?

Left wing moralists
In self serving denial
They shit me no end

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:17 pm 
Harry Vallence

Heavs wrote:

He plays football. There are quite a lot of serious injuries.

8)

NOW YOU'RE JUST SOME CLUB THAT I USED TO KNOW.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:40 pm 
Ken Hunter

Heavs wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:

Contract negotiations can have a habit of backfiring when the player in question is too preoccupied with these negotiations rather than his or the team’s success. Fevola could easily fall into this trap. Not saying he will, but he has a tendency to take his eye of the ball so to speak. This would not be good for Fevola or more importantly the Carlton Football Club, for now or the future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:01 pm 
Wayne Johnston

Synbad wrote:
Youd never guess were paying nearly 6.5 million to this squad.(inclusing 300kish to Kouta outside of the cap.

Synbad - do you have anymore details on all these extra payments we are carrying and for how long?

ie Do we have to keep paying McKernan, Beaumont, Harf and Mott next year?

Also BTW Kouta's big contract runs until end of next year doesn't it? What about Campo?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:23 pm 
Ken Hunter

sinbagger wrote:
Synbad wrote:

Synbad - do you have anymore details on all these extra payments we are carrying and for how long?

Also BTW Kouta's big contract runs until end of next year doesn't it? What about Campo?

McKernan, Beaumont, Harford & Mott contracts end at the end of this year.
Latter two where signed for two years in the initial contracts.
Koutoufides contract runs for another (extention due to salary pay cut reviews) and Camporeale's end this year also. Hope that helps but Synbad might know more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:55 pm 
Garry Crane

Fev is worth two first round picks.

I hope he stays, but no player is above the club.

Finding another gun full forward is tedious and if Fev goes it will be costly. So I hope he stays but he will cost $$$.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:19 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

sinbagger wrote:
Synbad wrote:

Sinbagger?

Are you the demonic love-child borne of a savage dispute between two opposing forces?