Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 1:37 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: 2005 - What I enjoy ...
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:44 am 
Craig Bradley

I don't think we'll win this week. And I don't think we'll make the finals this year. But there's a lot to enjoy about the side compared to where we were a couple of years ago (2003).

I enjoy the fact that we're now consistently competitive. I enjoy the fact that we're continuing to improve. I enjoy the style of footy we play. And when we can get Thornton and Livo back in the side and back to full fitness, we should be able to give a pretty good account of ourselves.

I also enjoy the fact that there's now a number of players on the list, who are exciting to watch (and should only continue to improve).

There's the young veterans in Houla and Fev. Houla with his scything runs down the ground (without ever looking like he's running that fast), and his beautiful pinpoint disposal. Fev with his speed, power and swagger. And I love the way he kicks the ball as well.

I love Waite's athleticism and competitiveness. He can be pretty sloppy with his disposal, but the fundamental 'style' is alright, and with consistent game time, I can't see how he could not become a gun player in a few years time.

I love the way Walker seems to get bigger and stronger every time I see him. And I love the way he moves, and the speed at which he moves. His hands aren't always clean yet, but once that comes together, and his decision making with his disposal continues to improve, and his footy smarts continue to grow, obviously he could and should be a top shelf talent.

I love the way Carrazzo seems to be able to find or make space in the middle of congestion.

I don't know if Norman has the discipline or desire to carve out a career. But I really love the way he moves for a player of his size. I love the way he can swoop on a loose ball, or turn defence into attack with beautiful movement and lovely kicking skills.

I love the desperation and poise of Thornton.

I love the professionalism and skill of Stevens and Lappin.

I really like the speed and skill of Chambers and Longmuir.

I like the electric speed, terrific hands and beautiful skills that I've seen so far from Betts.

And although I love the courage of Teague, and I admire the endeavour of a number of our other players. These are the players that really excite me when I watch us play, and who I expect to provide me with a great deal of enjoyment for years to come.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:47 am 
Stephen Silvagni

Great piece...agree with most of what you've said...

BUT

I expect to win this week, I expect to make the finals. I expect to win every week and even though I know we can't win every week, I give us a chance and I'm confident.

"there’s more chance of me becoming the full forward for the [Western Bulldogs] than there is of any change in the Labor Party." Julia Gillard 18-05-2010

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:18 am 
Ken Hunter

TruBlueBrad wrote:
I expect to win this week, I expect to make the finals. I expect to win every week and even though I know we can't win every week, I give us a chance and I'm confident.

Careful....statements like these can get you into people's bad books and into the darkside. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:36 am 
Adrian Gallagher

Great post. I too love watching these young guys get better...

I also love watching Kouta playing at the moment. For many years he was the cream on top of an excellent midfield. Now he has turned himself (because of injury, age and necessity) into the engine room. His quiet leadership is on the button for where the club is at at the moment as well. There are still moments of brilliance but mainly he just gets the pill. I don;t know who they were talking about but they were saying that the truly great players make others around them better (it is a team game after all). I don;t think that could have been said about Kouta circa 2000. He was basically a one-man show but I reckon that over the past year or so he has truned into a truly great player. He will go down as one of the true giants of the Carlton football club by the end of his career.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:11 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I'm enjoying the desire the boys are showing to earn themselves a spot in the team. No more 'Yeah - you get a game because, well, to be honest.................we ain't got nobody else!'

I'm enjoying watching other teams look at Eddie Betts and go................"Tell me, how did we not pick him up again?'

I'm enjoying watching 15 teams look in awe at the new Whitnall thinking..................'Wasn't he supposed to be fat and slow? What the hell is he doing on Tredrea?'

I'm enjoy watching Fev becoming the player we always believed he could be.

I'm enjoying watching Carrazzo racking up 18+possesions a game CONSISTANTY!!!!!

But most of all.........................................

I'm enjoying watching 'Captain' Kouta now than i ever had before.

My favourite Kouta game is now the 1 point win Vs pies in rnd 22 last year. He has re-invented himself as an amazing player and one of the best stop-play footballers the game has ever seen.

Kouta has 34 clearances for the year...............................! After 4 game!!!!!! That's amazing.

I love my Captain!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:05 pm 
Horrie Clover

Thats a great post Stefchook...you summed up perfectly what I'm enjoying about the " new " Blues

Add to this a great coach who you can plainly see is moulding these talented young men into a quality " team ",... plus the move to the dome I think will prove a big positive....plus a very good and stable administration...

Gee there realy are a lot of things to enjoy at the moment....and more success on the field will be the icing on the cake...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:14 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

I'm enjoying having to scratch my head each week as to who to leave out so as to give someone who is slaying 'em in the two's an appropriate reward.

Not that long ago that we'd fill ten possies on the field then wonder who'd fill in the rest :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:18 pm 
Bruce Doull

Excellent post stefchook. I love the positive vibe around the club now, not just with our playing list and the good progress Denis is making, but sponsors are getting on board and pundits are rating us again. I love knowing that we WILL be back and when we get there the place is going to @#$%&! explode!

Five smilies from me!

:D :D :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:53 pm 
Serge Silvagni

....I love the 2005 team 'coz of all the reasons above but most of all 'coz the Filth & Bummer supporters are hating us again rather than patronising us - and you know that can't be a bad thing :)